Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Boom Gaspar doesn't do it for me at all.
    jk he's the friggin man  =)
    YES!!!! Boooooommmm.

• I'm going to word this carefully and pull some punches......

I do not care for the music of Andy Wood and Mother Love Bone. 
    I mostly agreed(other than Crown Of Thorns) at one time.  Then I heard Chris Cornell singing MLB songs with Temple of The Dog and had a change of heart.  

I always think of PJ20 where Cornell was talking about Andy Wood and he was basically in awe of him.  It’s hard to argue with that.  Cornell doing Stardog Champion was one of the highlights of that concert. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    One of MLB's problems was that they had about 0% sex appeal.

Er, I meant as a band.
    Haha! Stone disagrees.
    :lol:
    No, but really... what I mean isn't related to the subjective sexiness or hotness of each band member. It's more about the overall vibe of the group together and their sound. That rock "sex appeal" that record labels drool over because it sells millions of records to fans, the majority of whom are men, lol.

Unfortunately we can never know. I’ve wondered this myself. There was great talent, Ten was written pretty shortly after his death, Keff and Stone could have written some of those same great songs with a different vocal. Maybe they would have sucked, maybe not.
    I do not like most of MLB, but Crown and a couple others are great and show they could have it in them.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    One of MLB's problems was that they had about 0% sex appeal.

Er, I meant as a band.
    Haha! Stone disagrees.
    :lol:
    No, but really... what I mean isn't related to the subjective sexiness or hotness of each band member. It's more about the overall vibe of the group together and their sound. That rock "sex appeal" that record labels drool over because it sells millions of records to fans, the majority of whom are men, lol.

This does not mean Mother Love Bone would have succeeded, but they absolutely had the appeal and record labels were drooling over it.  The band had labels in a bidding war for their services and Polygram threw a significant amount of money at them to record their debut LP.

We all see things through the lens of what WE KNOW happened.  That Nevermind was released at a time when the 80s pop scene was fading to dust and the world literally was taken be surprise in a tsunami that will never likely see the likes of again given how quick information flows today.

It is not terribly difficult to imagine an alternate universe in which in March 1990, Apple is released, Andy does not OD, and Crown of Thorns becomes an FM rock staple.  One thing is pretty undeniable whether one likes MLB or not, their music and presence was better and had more staying power than trash like Warrant, Poison, etc

Nevermind would still have gotten released and the music world would have still had the seismic shift.   There just would be no Pearl Jam in that mix.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    There just would be no Pearl Jam in that mix.
    No Temple of the Dog either...
    I don't think I ever listened to "Johnny Guitar" more than once after buying Backspacer at Target.

I've never seen PJ live having been a fan since 1991.

Don't mind saying Dave A. is a fantastic drummer, but Matt Cameron is just a "little mo' better".

Bono was once a rockstar...now he looks like an old Irish Robin Williams. Just sad.

I never listen to PJ bootlegs. Can't stand them. I much prefer the studio versions of songs.

Think Boom should write more songs with the band.

3 of my favorite songs are: Big Wave, Ole, Let The Records Play (not a joke...I love those songs).

Wish Ed would stop playing the ukulele - can't stand the sound of the thing.

Wish PJ would play entire Temple of Dog/Mother Love Bone sets (seriously, Ed singing "Pushin' Forward Back" and "Stardog Champion").

I've got a free bootleg download code. I'll share it with first to message me.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't agree with that. One of MLB's problems was that they had about 0% sex appeal, especially compared to GnR. Also, GnR's music was simply superior and had way more mass appeal for several reasons - skill, vocals, lyrics, style ... pretty much everything. I think suggesting that MLB might have reached GnR levels of success probably demonstrates a pretty serious bias for MLB, no offense.
    I think MLB was kinda just another "hair band" for the most part.  Of course, I also think GNR is one of the most over-rated acts of my lifetime (unpopular opinion!).  Their albums had a lot of filler and a lot of their lyrics were awful.  (The same can be said of the small sample size of MLB)

That said, they had a handful of really good songs; the kind of songs that were good enough to sell the albums full of filler. If I were to take the top 10 GNR/MLB songs, I think it would be nine GNR songs along with Crown of Thorns (which unfortunately wasn't gonna hit the radio and pull people in the way Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, or even Patience did).  Who knows?  With Stone writing songs, maybe their next album would have put them on the map, though by then Nirvana would have been out and being like GNR wouldn't have been as valuable. (of course being from Seattle would have).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    KN219077 said:
    Setting Forth is in thr bottom 10 songs live: luckily only 1 1/2 mins
    I'm not sure why that one has become a semi-frequent play.  That album has another 90-second song, No Ceiling, that's probably my favorite on the whole album.  I wish they'd break that one 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Setting Forth is in thr bottom 10 songs live: luckily only 1 1/2 mins
    I'm not sure why that one has become a semi-frequent play.  That album has another 90-second song, No Ceiling, that's probably my favorite on the whole album.  I wish they'd break that one 
    Didn't Eddie say it was Matts suggestion?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't agree with that. One of MLB's problems was that they had about 0% sex appeal, especially compared to GnR. Also, GnR's music was simply superior and had way more mass appeal for several reasons - skill, vocals, lyrics, style ... pretty much everything. I think suggesting that MLB might have reached GnR levels of success probably demonstrates a pretty serious bias for MLB, no offense.
    I think MLB was kinda just another "hair band" for the most part.  Of course, I also think GNR is one of the most over-rated acts of my lifetime (unpopular opinion!).  Their albums had a lot of filler and a lot of their lyrics were awful.  (The same can be said of the small sample size of MLB)

That said, they had a handful of really good songs; the kind of songs that were good enough to sell the albums full of filler. If I were to take the top 10 GNR/MLB songs, I think it would be nine GNR songs along with Crown of Thorns (which unfortunately wasn't gonna hit the radio and pull people in the way Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, or even Patience did).  Who knows?  With Stone writing songs, maybe their next album would have put them on the map, though by then Nirvana would have been out and being like GNR wouldn't have been as valuable. (of course being from Seattle would have).
    I think their main problem was that Andy Wood did not have enough appeal, nor the voice to hit it big time in that period. Unpopular opinion: Andy Wood was ultimately a rather unlikable character as a lead singer with too much of a head for glam fame, and he in particular did not have what it would have taken to carry MLB into the big leagues in the 90s. They would have been completely overshadowed by many other bands.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think their main problem was that Andy Wood did not have enough appeal, nor the voice to hit it big time in that period. Unpopular opinion: Andy Wood was ultimately a rather unlikable character as a lead singer with too much of a head for glam fame, and he in particular did not have what it would have taken to carry MLB into the big leagues in the 90s. They would have been completely overshadowed by many other bands.
    Bingo.
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Andy Wood was their appeal.  And that is not myth making post his death and the complete ascent of music out of the Pacific Northwest.
    Wood was by and large the reason that Mother Love Bone was being sought after by record labels.  People legitimately and accurately felt he was going to be a star.   When you couple that with the band was tight with emerging peers like Soundgarden, it is hard to imagine they would not have been in the mix.  Mother Love Bone would never have been as big as some of the other bands that rose out of the early 1990s, but that was not because of Wood or their music, the music industry took a hard turn after years of pop nonsense, garbage faux metal and a borderline burying of good music. MLBs influence and music was much more a mix of 1970s pop/rock.  

edited October 2018
    PB11041 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Andy Wood was their appeal.  And that is not myth making post his death and the complete ascent of music out of the Pacific Northwest.
    Wood was by and large the reason that Mother Love Bone was being sought after by record labels.  People legitimately and accurately felt he was going to be a star.   When you couple that with the band was tight with emerging peers like Soundgarden, it is hard to imagine they would not have been in the mix.  Mother Love Bone would never have been as big as some of the other bands that rose out of the early 1990s, but that was not because of Wood or their music, the music industry took a hard turn after years of pop nonsense, garbage faux metal and a borderline burying of good music. MLBs influence and music was much more a mix of 1970s pop/rock.  
    Yes, well I guess we both have unpopular opinions when it comes to Andy Wood. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • If I would listen to something Pearl Jam before Pearl Jam it would be Bad Radio. I like the groovy-ness of those songs. Never fallen for MLB or Green River.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    wrong thread
    If I would listen to something Pearl Jam before Pearl Jam it would be Bad Radio. I like the groovy-ness of those songs. Never fallen for MLB or Green River.
    I enjoy the fact that Better Man is technically a Bad Radio cover, lol.
    The brussel sprout, when prepared properly is an excellent side dish.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

PB11041 said:
    Despite the fact that this has nothing to do with Pearl Jam's Music, it is the best thing written here.  It is an unpopular opinion, and one that happens to be true!  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    PB11041 said:
    When prepared with bacon, yes.
    Otherwise I'm not so sure.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PB11041 said:
    Trick statement. There is no proper way to prepare brussels sprouts.
    PB11041 said:
    When prepared with bacon, yes.
    Otherwise I'm not so sure.
    Yes, my sister manages to make a really good baked brussel sprouts dish with bacon. I really enjoy it. Besides that, they're horrible.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    PB11041 said:
    Ask Squee and Donkey Kong Doug, they have their ways
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • sad1170sad1170 Brooklyn, NY Posts: 6
    edited October 2018
    After "breaking up" with Pearl Jam in 2000 post-Binaural (it wasn't them, it was ME), I found my way back to them last year with the HOF induction. Riot Act and subsequent albums were on heavy rotation afterward. Went to Fenway 1 in Sep and have a newfound appreciation for the group and their music. With that said,
    - other than Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt is a whole lot of nothing
    - Backspacer overtook Vs as my 2nd fave album (Ten reigns supreme...mostly for nostalgic reasons)
    - if Eddie is going to talk as much as he does during shows, they should play for at least 3+ hours. Otherwise, more music please.
    - if I had a Men In Black mind erasing pen thingie, I would use it to remove Yellow Ledbetter from existence. I dread that song
    - I wish the Lost Dogs' version of Alone was on Vs. The additional 3 minutes wouldn't have killed the album, only enhanced it
    - they do play too many covers live. One or two would be just fine
    - I love the Judgement Day movie soundtrack and really wish to see or hear PJ play The Real Thing live with Cypress Hill

Post edited by sad1170 on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    sad1170 said:
    After "breaking up" with Pearl Jam in 2000 post-Binaural (it wasn't them, it was ME), I found my way back to them last year with the HOF induction. Riot Act and subsequent albums were on heavy rotation afterward. Went to Wrigley 1 in Sep and have a newfound appreciation for the group and their music. With that said,
    - other than Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt is a whole lot of nothing
    - Backspacer overtook Vs as my 2nd fave album (Ten reigns supreme...mostly for nostalgic reasons)
    - if Eddie is going to talk as much as he does during shows, they should play for at least 3+ hours. Otherwise, more music please.
    - if I had a Men In Black mind erasing pen thingie, I would use it to remove Yellow Ledbetter from existence. I dread that song
    - I wish the Lost Dogs' version of Alone was on Vs. The additional 3 minutes wouldn't have killed the album, only enhanced it
    - they do play too many covers live. One or two would be just fine
    - I love the Judgement Day movie soundtrack and really wish to see or hear PJ play The Real Thing live with Cypress Hill

me too. would love to see the PJ/Hill collab live!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    PB11041 said:

Wait a minute....where's your usual post where you chastise members for not staying on topic?
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Milestone said:
    PB11041 said:

Wait a minute....where's your usual post where you chastise members for not staying on topic?
    It's ok when I do it. :lol:
    Milestone said:
    PB11041 said:

:rofl:
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Milestone said:
    PB11041 said:

Excellent!  Carry on.  :)
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    edited October 2018
    I have no interest in Pearl Jam branded clothing aside from tour shirts.