Kavanaugh

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    I am definitely pro choice but I do believe that there should be some sort of limits. Maybe beginning of the third trimester?
    he... he.........he....
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mickeyrat said:

Steve King's post has really got me fired up. He annoys me already but this was just unnecessary. And the sad truth is that in about 10 or so years, King would force that little angel to have a baby - 10, 11, 12, 13 years old, doesn't matter. Once that little angel hits puberty she no longer is an angel, she is an incubator.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    njnancy said:
    mickeyrat said:

Steve King's post has really got me fired up. He annoys me already but this was just unnecessary. And the sad truth is that in about 10 or so years, King would force that little angel to have a baby - 10, 11, 12, 13 years old, doesn't matter. Once that little angel hits puberty she no longer is an angel, she is an incubator.
    njnancy, his post annoyed me as well. I previously posted that the Republicans want a Hand Maid's Tale type society, but got flamed for it.
    Some republicans think women are put on this earth to serve their needs and have babies.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    I love people when people get offended by a rock gig poster lol

But had no issue with children in cages
    Or children who are likely to never see their parents again. Ever. And yet consider themselves “Christian.” Can I get a praise be the lord?
    So I haven’t seen anywhere in the news but has illegal crossings gone down since this policy was implemented?
    If they did are you implying that separating children from their parents, losing track of them and knowing a percentage will never see their parents again is an effective and acceptable illegal immigration enforcement strategy that you can support?
    You must have the best dinner conversations with your wife lol. 
    And to answer your question, of course not. 
    Never once have I thought you might conditionally support such things, FWIW.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited October 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am definitely pro choice but I do believe that there should be some sort of limits. Maybe beginning of the third trimester?
    pretty sure thats the current standard most everywhere except in cases where the woman life is in jeooardy.
    Agreed. Trump and a whole bunch of actual anti-abotionists (which Trump is not btw, IMO) like to pretend that non-medically necessary late term abortions are a real thing to worry about, but they are not.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    I love people when people get offended by a rock gig poster lol

But had no issue with children in cages
    Or children who are likely to never see their parents again. Ever. And yet consider themselves “Christian.” Can I get a praise be the lord?
    So I haven’t seen anywhere in the news but has illegal crossings gone down since this policy was implemented?
    If they did are you implying that separating children from their parents, losing track of them and knowing a percentage will never see their parents again is an effective and acceptable illegal immigration enforcement strategy that you can support?
    You must have the best dinner conversations with your wife lol. 
    And to answer your question, of course not. 
    Never once have I thought you might conditionally support such things, FWIW.
    Thank you, I appreciate that. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pretty sure thats the current standard most everywhere except in cases where the woman life is in jeooardy.
    Agreed. Trump and a whole bunch of actual anti-abotionists (which Trump is not btw, IMO) like to pretend that non-medically necessary late term abortions are a real thing to worry about, but they are not.
    He uses his 'I have a friend' excuse about his change in his view. He has lots of anonymous 'friends' to whom he refers. It's delusional. 
    And the extreme majority of third trimester abortions are heartbreaking for the mother. I have a friend who had one at 6 months and was a mess about it. She had to give birth to her still born child - that really messes someone up. There aren't lines of women deciding that it wasn't such a good idea at that point in their pregnancy and opting to just abort. It's a horrible decision and using it for political reasons is truly a sickening, but effective, tactic.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited October 2018
    This swearing-in is a Republican circle jerk.
    eddiec said:
    This swearing-in is a Republican circle jerk.
    Kavanaugh is saying how independent he will be as a judge; immediately after Trump just reminded the country that he is only the president for those who worship him. 
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    First official picture of the new court...LMFAO =)
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:

lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Fake news.

Ginsberg is portrayed as awake.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

funny how you just posted a thread about civility.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

It was funny though. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

It was funny though. 
    It actually was, lol.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

I was told to not be, sorry.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

She dozes off. There are pictures. What's uncivil about joking about that?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Fake news.

She dozes off. There are pictures. What's uncivil about joking about that?
    Who dies first, Trump or RBG? Maybe she could take him with here when she goes. That would be a patriotic sacrifice.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I don’t wish death on anyone, forced retirement is a better option.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Lifetime appointments are bullshit... it was designed that way for guaranteed control by elite interests... the judges are selected by politicians... politicians are bought and sold like cattle, all of them... therefore, the people buying and controlling the politicians are the ones ultimately selecting the Justices... 

Roberts court is 73-0 in favor of corporate interests?

The game is rigged folks. Has been from the beginning 

• unsung said:
    Yea, umm, sure.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    unsung said:
    I was thinking more along the lines of they die together in an Act of love...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why do politicians feel the need to apologize for Americans?  I hate when politicians do that.  Apologize on behave of the government, not the citizens ... what dummy.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    my2hands said:
    Lifetime appointments are bullshit... it was designed that way for guaranteed control by elite interests... the judges are selected by politicians... politicians are bought and sold like cattle, all of them... therefore, the people buying and controlling the politicians are the ones ultimately selecting the Justices... 

I'm afraid to ask how we should select the judges
    edited October 2018
    pjl44 said:
    my2hands said:

The current way clearly sucks far too often, but it's still a hell of a lot better than judges actually running for election. I do agree that a lifetime appointment is ridiculous. Lifetime appointments shouldn't exist in the SCOTUS. There should be a limit. Even if it's a 20 year term, that's better than lifetime appointment. And presidents should actually have ZERO input in who is appointed. I think the nomination process should be completely non-partisan, since that is what the SCOTUS is supposed to be as well. 
    Nothing is non partisan in 2018.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    my2hands said:

The current way clearly sucks far too often, but it's still a hell of a lot better than judges actually running for election. I do agree that a lifetime appointment is ridiculous. Lifetime appointments shouldn't exist in the SCOTUS. There should be a limit. Even if it's a 20 year term, that's better than lifetime appointment. And presidents should actually have ZERO input in who is appointed. I think the nomination process should be completely non-partisan, since that is what the SCOTUS is supposed to be as well. 
    I think the fact that SCOTUS' ideological bents seem to correlate with their rulings proves that no matter how impartial the nomination process, once again, the same pesky human flaws exist: a Judge or Justice can participate in capitalism, law, and politicals (aka conflict of interest), and the so-called absolute documents representing guidelines for enforcing the law, are subject to interpretation by Judges and Justices, and therefore not absolute (along with any other religious texts claiming to be absolute). 

As for changing the process - I still don't see any historical precedence for unthreatened power to relinquish the power they command on ethical grounds, therefore good fucking luck to anyone trying to fix this mess.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited October 2018
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    my2hands said:

I think the fact that SCOTUS' ideological bents seem to correlate with their rulings proves that no matter how impartial the nomination process, once again, the same pesky human flaws exist: a Judge or Justice can participate in capitalism, law, and politicals (aka conflict of interest), and the so-called absolute documents representing guidelines for enforcing the law, are subject to interpretation by Judges and Justices, and therefore not absolute (along with any other religious texts claiming to be absolute). 

As for changing the process - I still don't see any historical precedence for unthreatened power to relinquish the power they command on ethical grounds, therefore good fucking luck to anyone trying to fix this mess.
    But not all judges are like that. The SCOTUS judges are picked for being that way more often than not, and that's the problem. That's why their decisions are split so often. If they were all doing their jobs properly the decisions would rarely be split like that. If a non-partisan body chose them, with a mandate to make sure the SCOTUS is non-partisan, they wouldn't have a difficult time finding judges who are able to be very non-partisan in their position... All they need to be are people who have scruples and logic when it comes to their role. It's actually not that hard to just go by the Constitution when making a ruling - all they have to do is be honest with themselves and use their reasoning skills.