So is Grand Rapids becoming the new "State College?"

RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Fortunately PJ didn't come to Indy this year, because I would have never thought of going to Grand Rapids.

But comparing Chicago 1 and 2, GR, and Cleveland - GR blows them all out.....not even close.

With the combination of looking at Ed's premade setlist and all the changes they made, the 5-song sitdown, the only 3+ hour show of the tour so far, is this show reaching legendary status.

I was with a bunch of 10 Club members and one guy said that it beats out Toronto 2, another said it's better than Buffalo 03. One guy said State College was slightly better just because of all the songs.

Honestly though, if they don't imitate that night again in North America, could this one grow to legendary status??? Include the whole night, 2 preset songs, The Band's Cover with MMJ too.

Legendary for me is:
Pinkpop 92
Soldier Field 95
Berlin 96
MSG 98
Seattle 2 00
Buffalo 03
State College 03
MSG 2 03
Boston 3 03
Gorge 05

Could Grand Rapids be on that list someday???? Or is it just another "YOU HAD TO BE THERE?"

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
-JJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you forgot Santa Barbara 03 on the legendary list..
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    berlin was not the only great show from 96.

at the very least randall's island 2 should be considered then there's buffalo and hartford and more

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Milan 96

london 2 maybe? the one when they played smile for the first time..

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Romanza wrote:
    Fortunately PJ didn't come to Indy this year, because I would have never thought of going to Grand Rapids.

But comparing Chicago 1 and 2, GR, and Cleveland - GR blows them all out.....not even close.

With the combination of looking at Ed's premade setlist and all the changes they made, the 5-song sitdown, the only 3+ hour show of the tour so far, is this show reaching legendary status.

I was with a bunch of 10 Club members and one guy said that it beats out Toronto 2, another said it's better than Buffalo 03. One guy said State College was slightly better just because of all the songs.

Honestly though, if they don't imitate that night again in North America, could this one grow to legendary status??? Include the whole night, 2 preset songs, The Band's Cover with MMJ too.

Legendary for me is:
    Pinkpop 92
    Soldier Field 95
    Berlin 96
    MSG 98
    Seattle 2 00
    Buffalo 03
    State College 03
    MSG 2 03
    Boston 3 03
    Gorge 05

Could Grand Rapids be on that list someday???? Or is it just another "YOU HAD TO BE THERE?"

If you count Buffalo 03 and Gorge 05 you need to do some serious alterations.

Also, I think we should see how the tour pans out. Europe is gonna get a monster, as will Australia, plus they havent even touched the coasts yet.
  • As far as length and epic quality, I'd say it's:
    Atlanta 1994
    Randall's 1996
    MSG 1998
    Seattle 2000
    Mansfield 2003
    Santa Barbara 2003
    Gorge 2005 (this year's will blow it away, but this show was 3+ hours)

Not sure the longest 1992 show, but I'd say the Amsterdam show with the Mamasan trilogy is up there. Pinkpop is great too, but shorter.

Can't f-ing wait to hear Grand Rapids 2006!
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    not better than State College, best of this tour by far however...
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• bcsbadboysbcsbadboys Posts: 20
    I think so! Incredible atmosphere and show!
    St. Paul '03
    Grand Rapids '04
    Winnipeg, Thunder Bay '05
    Grand Rapids, Cleveland, St. Paul 1 & 2 '06
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    It's too early to tell yet. I have a feeling we'll get a much 'better' one down the road. And I would not call this show legendary by any stretch, even after all is said and done.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that puts this show on the map is that first encore. The rest of it, while definitely a varied and somewhat unique set, pretty much compares with what we've gotten on this tour up to this point. Encore 1 puts this show above those preceding it... but I'll bet it won't be above one or two that are yet to come.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    AndySlash wrote:
    It's too early to tell yet. I have a feeling we'll get a much 'better' one down the road.

i have this same feeling.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    BeerBaron wrote:

GR was a great setlist, but personally, I think Chicago II was even a better setlist.

Since I wasn't there I have no clue about the atmosphere though ...

i was at Chicago II and the atmosphere was great. i don't think they would've played Crown Of Thorns otherwise. plus, even Ed said they only play Crown Of Thorns for special occasions...so i'd take Chicago II over any show so far...but again...that's just me. :)
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Romanza wrote:

Legendary for me is:
    Pinkpop 92
    Soldier Field 95
    Berlin 96
    MSG 98
    Seattle 2 00
    Buffalo 03
    State College 03
    MSG 2 03
    Boston 3 03
    Gorge 05

You forgot Atlanta 94 and Soldier Field 95, those are majoy classic concert... Geesh! where is Red Rocks??? You need to revise your list. :D

EDIT : I just noticed you did mention Soldier Field ... :)

I havent heard Grand Rapids yet, but im looking forward to :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    After a setlist review, I would take Chicago 2 over GR. The preset song isnt that big of a deal and it looks like Ed is gonna start comin out and doin a song with MMJ fairly often.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    After a setlist review, I would take Chicago 2 over GR. The preset song isnt that big of a deal and it looks like Ed is gonna start comin out and doin a song with MMJ fairly often.

I think it was an awesome show, I agree with the pre-set not being a big deal (as far as making the show legendary) I had a pre-set at most the shows I attended on 2003.

The setlist was phenomenal but like others I agree that there will be better shows than this one, I honestly dont think that this show will go down in PJ history as legendary.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    I was there and I would say it was the best PJ show I have attended, but I say that after every show I go to. It seems to get better and better everytime.

Was it epic? To those who were there, I would say yes. To those who weren't, I'm sure you've had experiences at shows that would rival the GR experience. But if you were there you know you witnessed something special.

Could the set list have been better? Certainly we all have our own ideas of what songs we would have rather heard over others.

The most important thing about the GR show was how the crowd influenced the performance. Not that it is a big secret with Pearl Jam, but it should be a lessen to all attendees in the future.

My favorite moment of the show? Mike and Boom's jam session at the end of Crazy Mary.......it was unreal.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • RiderRider Posts: 125
    Add Charlotte Memorial 96 to the legendary list. Great energy, sold out Saturday Night General Admission full football stadium of rowdies. Huge Mosh Pit. Band was on fire, terrific old school set list. Guest spot by Gloria Steinem, Ed was very pleased with her reception and really gave us a show.

Insane. It converted me from Pearl Jam is pretty good live (the Lollapalooza's I saw) to Man, they are incredible.
    We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    So far I definitely think that GR has had the most consistently "HOLY SHIT" setlist.

I do agree that it has only just begun though. :D;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

No way . They played so well in GR. Crowd was fantastic. It was an experience.
    No one is Righteous.......
    DieasGrey wrote:
    No way . They played so well in GR. Crowd was fantastic. It was an experience.

I wasnt at either show, but judging from the setlists, I would choose Chicago 2. They had some mad energy too.
  • blueredgrayblueredgray Posts: 25
    I actually went to both State College and Grand Rapids. Ummm, it's not even close. Still, Grand Rapids was a great show - but it is just one of many many great shows they've done, while State College was a one of a kind show. Hell, I liked Chicago II from this tour better.
    2003 - Champaign (first show), Chicago, Uniondale, MSG II, State College, Alpine Valley; 2004 - Toledo, Grand Rapids; 2005 - Kitchener, London.
  • warrenfsewarrenfse Posts: 74
    No offense, but Charlotte is not one of the legendary shows from the PJ history books. Maybe to you, but you gotta be able to subtract yourself from the situation. If I included shows I attended as legendary, I'd toss in Philly one in '00, but I don't think anyone would call that anything special. This is more of a question of whether or not people will talk about it going forward, whether they were there or not. I don't think anyone has ever brought up Charlotte '96. It probably goes as legendary:

Unplugged
    Pink Pop
    That acoustic show in '92 in Europe (where they had there equipment stolen)
    Boston '94 (Orpheum and honestly, shouldn't we mention that Chicago Stadium show they did in '94 as well? That was pretty sick)
    Atlanta '94
    Soldier Field '95
    Randall's Island '96
    MSG 2 '98
    Katowice '00
    Seattle '00 (Night 2 . . . Although, I kinda think this show is overrated. Not much rare, but first 3 disc set, so I guess it counts).
    Buffalo, Penn State, MSG 1 and Boston 3 in '03
    The Gorge and Philly in '05

These are shows that people still talk about. I don't know if Grand Rapids will get the same mentions as these. We still have 3 more legs of this before we can judge.

Rider wrote:
    Add Charlotte Memorial 96 to the legendary list. Great energy, sold out Saturday Night General Admission full football stadium of rowdies. Huge Mosh Pit. Band was on fire, terrific old school set list. Guest spot by Gloria Steinem, Ed was very pleased with her reception and really gave us a show.

Insane. It converted me from Pearl Jam is pretty good live (the Lollapalooza's I saw) to Man, they are incredible.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    You have to have been there to really understand it. Now I know that's what everyone says, but I am fairly positive I will never see a better show, even by Pearl Jam.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    I think a lot of the hype is because of the whole ticket issue. If it wasnt for that, would this show be any different than others so far?? I mean Im listening to Small Town and Ed stops to let everyone sing and the place goes silent 1:30 into the song....
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    There will be shows that top Grand Rapids this tour. Chicago II was great, then they pull out GR. Then they'll go to Boston and that one will be incredibly. Let's face it, all these shows are great, and some may have one or two more rarities than the other. All people seem to care about are damn rarities. Take Around the Bend and Satan's Bed out of the GR setlist and we'd be having a different discussion. Take Crown of Thorns out of Chicago II's setlist and that would definitely change the dynamic of the debate, even though it is just 6 minutes and one song.
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

A setlist doesn't necessarily make a great concert. That being said, it's hard to say that Chicago 2's encore was better than Grand Rapids. Personally, I was at both, and clearly, Grand Rapids was a better concert, and not just because of the setlist, but also the ambiance.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    There will be shows that top Grand Rapids this tour. Chicago II was great, then they pull out GR. Then they'll go to Boston and that one will be incredibly. Let's face it, all these shows are great, and some may have one or two more rarities than the other. All people seem to care about are damn rarities. Take Around the Bend and Satan's Bed out of the GR setlist and we'd be having a different discussion. Take Crown of Thorns out of Chicago II's setlist and that would definitely change the dynamic of the debate, even though it is just 6 minutes and one song.

Agreed! I thought Albany's setlist was pretty strong too against GR with Satans Bed & Rats.
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    is there a setlist scan of this show that i missed somewhere?
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Here's my argument FOR Grand Rapids...

First of all, for those saying that the pre-set was "no big deal", heres why it's special...Ed did 'Dead Man', then started putting on the headset harmonica, most likely to play 'you've got to hide your love away'. The guy in front of me shouts out, "Happy Birthday Pete!", then Ed pauses, puts up his index finger, takes of the harmonica, and immediately goes into "can't explain". It was a special moment.

Second, The MMJ jam was the first one, so it was extra exciting...

Third...the main set was great, jam packed, including Red Mosquito, Sad, Why Go...

Fourth, the first encore was great..."we're just going to experiment with you..." the experimental acoustic set was awesome! Ed stumming the chords to 'Around the bend', then setting down the guitar, then asking, "should we do it??" Awesome. Oh yeah, 'HARD TO FUCKING IMAGINE'. Doesn't happen everyday!

Fifth: Other Rarities - Crazy Mary, Leatherman, Baba....

SIXTH: Ok, if you're still reading, this is my biggest reason GR rocked...and I am totally biased here...MY FRIEND AND I MADE SATAN'S BED HAPPEN! Yes, we held the signs in the 4th row, and Ed told the band the set change on the fly...it was amazing, I will never forget it. They absolutely nailed it as well...

So, that is why GRAND RAPIDS FUCKING ROCKED!!!
    (better than both Chicago shows!)
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    sorry for the LONG ass post
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I wasnt at either show, but judging from the setlists, I would choose Chicago 2. They had some mad energy too.

SERIOUSLY, IF U WOULD'VE SEEN MIKE FREAK OUT DURING HIS EVEN FLOW SOLO...I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM ACT LIKE THAT BEFORE...AND ED FREAKED TO DURING ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD. IF U SAW VIDEO OF THEM U WOULD UNDERSTAND.
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    PJammin' wrote:
    SERIOUSLY, IF U WOULD'VE SEEN MIKE FREAK OUT DURING HIS EVEN FLOW SOLO...I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM ACT LIKE THAT BEFORE...AND ED FREAKED TO DURING ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD. IF U SAW VIDEO OF THEM U WOULD UNDERSTAND.

lol mike was all over the place.
    Ed was swinging like a damn monkey .
    jeff spinning in circles.

best show ever...they were like 22 again.

Funny thin about the show is it was so hard rocking and epic yet it felt intimate at the same time. It was very personal.
    No one is Righteous.......