Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    -- I, too, prefer outdoor shows.
    -- Of the Earth is a decent song, but easily the most overrated and overhyped of the band's catalog.
    -- Other songs I don't quite understand all the love for - Black, Marker in the Sand, The End
    -- I wish Yellow Ledbetter would be retired forever
    -- Songs most hate/don't care for but I enjoy - The Fixer, Ole, My Father's Son, Just Breathe, Sleeping By Myself, Can't Deny Me
    -- Dave A isn't as relevant as people think
    -- Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are underappreciated
    -- Covers are awesome
    -- Nirvana (aside from Nevermind), Soundgarden (aside from Superunknown), Mudhoney, & Sleater-Kinney make hardly any music I want to listen to
    I'll also add:
    -- Nine Inch Nails original version of Hurt is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999x better than Johnny Cash's cover!
    That's a bit extreme. But I hate when people talk about Hurt and automatically connects it with Johnny Cash. Or think that Cash version is better. You're allowed to love it all you want, but it is not allowed to beat NINs.

And it irks me that Eddie sings the Cash version. Because I know it is because he has read the wrong lyrics off google.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I love everything Pearl Jam has done musically - save for Foxy Mop, which isn't a song IMO. Any chance I get to see a show is quite simply going to be a great time for me, no matter what they play or don't play. Bono is one of the best all time singers, songwriters, showman and activists of our time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    I like McDonald, Prague 2012
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    -- I, too, prefer outdoor shows.
    -- Of the Earth is a decent song, but easily the most overrated and overhyped of the band's catalog.
    -- Other songs I don't quite understand all the love for - Black, Marker in the Sand, The End
    -- I wish Yellow Ledbetter would be retired forever
    -- Songs most hate/don't care for but I enjoy - The Fixer, Ole, My Father's Son, Just Breathe, Sleeping By Myself, Can't Deny Me
    -- Dave A isn't as relevant as people think
    -- Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are underappreciated
    -- Covers are awesome
    -- Nirvana (aside from Nevermind), Soundgarden (aside from Superunknown), Mudhoney, & Sleater-Kinney make hardly any music I want to listen to
    I'll also add:
    -- Nine Inch Nails original version of Hurt is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999x better than Johnny Cash's cover!
    That's a bit extreme. But I hate when people talk about Hurt and automatically connects it with Johnny Cash. Or think that Cash version is better. You're allowed to love it all you want, but it is not allowed to beat NINs.

And it irks me that Eddie sings the Cash version. Because I know it is because he has read the wrong lyrics off google.
    Yep, all those 9's are purely for effect but I completely agree. I really don't like the Cash version though, but then again I never cared for Cash all that much.  Guess I can add that to my unpopular opinion list.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    PB11041 said:
    lolobugg said:
    PB11041 said:
    Sick to death hearing about Dave A.

The Yield tour was the least impressive of the period 1994 through 2006.

Lightning Bolt is a much better record than most are willing to accept/admit.

what??????????

are you Pro or Con Dave A?

I am not pro or con Dave A.   I am con those who are still not over this thing that happened 25 years ago, including Dave A who continues to act like an infant about what happened.  
    Seems though, that some (not saying you) conflict "talking about a former member fondly, which was a part of the band people are fans of enough to join the bands fanclub" with "can't get over". It sometimes feel it's not okey to dig Dave A, instead you have to take digs at him. 

Two sides of the coin. As Ace Frehley so famously sang.

Well, those are people who can't understand nuance in discussion.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

lolobugg said:
    PB11041 said:
    lolobugg said:
    PB11041 said:
    Sick to death hearing about Dave A.

The Yield tour was the least impressive of the period 1994 through 2006.

Lightning Bolt is a much better record than most are willing to accept/admit.

what??????????

are you Pro or Con Dave A?

I am not pro or con Dave A.   I am con those who are still not over this thing that happened 25 years ago, including Dave A who continues to act like an infant about what happened.  

I agree. some of his friends threatened to come to my wife's house and kill her over some comments she made about Dave A.  I am def over it. not a fan
    That is insane.  

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Bono is one of the best all time singers, songwriters, showman and activists of our time.
    So? Hearing about him cost us the entire encore. What exactly was the point? Feel better Bono? Please.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Please retire all of ten from live shows. Add daughter, corduroy and better man to that list.
    I love the baseball stadium shows - a giant party with PJ as the house band.
    I wish they would eliminate all merch.  Its about the music and the live experience. OK keep the posters. :)
    I like the lottery for tickets.  F5 was a nightmare.
    I don't need anymore information from the 10C about transferring tickets or anything else that I don't already know unless its new tour dates.
    I hope the next tour is in Asia.  Preferably Japan.
    RS65573 said:
    Bono is one of the best all time singers, songwriters, showman and activists of our time.
    So? Hearing about him cost us the entire encore. What exactly was the point? Feel better Bono? Please.
    bigger issue may have been that the band tried to have people get in the venues earlier every night, and it was basically 100% ignored.  In Boston, on the 4th, I literally saw people standing on lines 100 people deep just to get into some of the bars and it was already 6pm. 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I actually like just breathe. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    There are no “must play” songs for me (talking to you Even Flow and Alive) and I wish the band alternated set lists more so that the deeper cuts surfaced more than once a tour/decade.  Last few year setlists seems too formula-based to have a near greatest hits show with 1-2 deep cuts.  Unleash the full catalog...said the non-musician (yes, mocking myself) who loves all ten PJ albums plus LD and the other non-album originals.
    Prefer indoor to outdoor - takes bad weather / delays out of the picture so that I know the show will happen.  And please play some shows without crazy early curfews (Wrigley/Fenway) where the end time is known in advance...seems so unspontaneous and no chance for the full PJ magic to flow.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Noload said:
    I like the older live versions of most songs due to the pace.  Most seem rushed these days.
    Yeah, Boston 1 opener for example. Fastest “Sometimes” I’ve ever heard. 
    Even Matt seemed uncomfortable with the speed of the opening guitar rhythm and tried to slow the song down.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    • Dave A is my fav PJ drummer
    • I love outdoor shows, but not the ballpark ones.  Wish they would start playing the shitty suburban amphitheaters again.
    • I will never get tired of Yellow Ledbetter.  Perfect way to close out a show....was even the last song at my wedding!  
    • I will always prefer reserved seats instead of GA
    • I absolutely cannot stand Alice in Chains.  It hurts my ears whenever they come on the radio and I turn it off immediately
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    RS65573 said:
    Slow your roll my friend. I was simply commenting on my thoughts about him, not in the context of whatever you're talking about.

www.cluthelee.com
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Soundgarden. Awesome
    Rage Againt the Machine. Awesome.
    but.....
    Audioslave. Terrible.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    edited October 2018
    • The baseball stadium shows have run their course.....please stop, put out an album and do a proper shed/amp/indoor tour
    • Comfortably Numb sucks, never play it again
    • Please allow pre purchase of posters/merch to stop all the whining/crying on these boards over missed flipping opportunities
    • Backspacer sucks and should be deleted from our memories.  
    • No ed solo songs at PJ shows...don't get me wrong I love them, I just don't want full band versions of them

leep
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    28 shows and counting and I still get a kick out of hearing the hits.  Corduroy, Better Man, Alive, Given to Fly, Alive, Daughter even Even Flow and Jeremy - they still kick ass and I dig them still.

Dirty Frank is the new Leash and really doesn't need to be requested or played. stop already

I don't understand the fascination with Posters.

Alice in Chains over Soundgarden

Not much interest in seeing Ed solo. sorry Ed.

• JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    better be careful with this cause some folks around here think opinions are wrong
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Pearl Jam should do an extended Las Vegas residency

• Even Flow live is terrible. If they played it any faster it'd last 90 seconds.

I despise Rockin' in the Free World.

I love PJ shows and Ed solo shows. I am not fond of PJ fans attending Ed solo shows and yelling for him to play "Porch or<even worse> "Drop The Leash" I categorize these fans as the same ones who pound on the glass each and every time the puck comes near them at a hockey game.

I'm weary <read: SICK OF> of watching most of the people in the first 5-10 rows standing with their arms crossed waiting for some 'White Whale' song. Seniority or not put those folks in the back row for a tour and give others a chance to be that close.

Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    - I really like Backspacer
    - Black is over rated
    - Slow the damn songs down!
    - Go back to mid to high 20 song sets to increase quality and eliminate covers
    - Eliminate slow songs opening and push those songs back to midset
    - With all due respect, no more guest appearances at shows
    - Quit with the forum requests for songs
    - Only play a deep cut if you can still frickin' play it decently!
    - Embrace your whole catalog live and learn to play songs like Grievance, Got Some, Faithfull, Severed Hand and Hail, Hail more
    - Alternate Y Led with Parting Ways and All Or None to end shows
    - I can't stand Motherlove Bone, Mudhoney or Temple of the Dog
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Milestone said:
    Soundgarden. Awesome
    Rage Againt the Machine. Awesome.
    but.....
    Audioslave. Terrible.

100% agree.  2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    pjhawks said:
    28 shows and counting and I still get a kick out of hearing the hits.  Corduroy, Better Man, Alive, Given to Fly, Alive, Daughter even Even Flow and Jeremy - they still kick ass and I dig them still.

Dirty Frank is the new Leash and really doesn't need to be requested or played. stop already

I don't understand the fascination with Posters.

Alice in Chains over Soundgarden

Not much interest in seeing Ed solo. sorry Ed.

most unpopular yet

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JP218404 said:
    better be careful with this cause some folks around here think opinions are wrong
    Only dumb opinions are wrong.  I deleted my rant on this unpopular opinion so that this thread could be about PJ music.

:lol: 

Yellow Moon is poor.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    JP218404 said:
    Only dumb opinions are wrong.  I deleted my rant on this unpopular opinion so that this thread could be about PJ music.

:lol: 

Yellow Moon is poor.
    emojis suck
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Sorry, it was correctly pointed out that this is on The Porch and should therefore be all about Pearl Jam's music.
    Did not note what forum it was in when I responded with my unpopular opinion about others' opinions.  :)

On PJ's music:
    Can't Deny Me is a good song.
    Backspacer & Lightning Bolt are NOT the two lowest listed albums on the released by Pearl Jam album rankings.
    Bee Girl is really, really, bad.
    Parachutes is right there with Bee Girl.
    Agree with bee girl and parachutes lol
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    - I really like Backspacer
    - Black is over rated
    - Slow the damn songs down!
    - Go back to mid to high 20 song sets to increase quality and eliminate covers
    - Eliminate slow songs opening and push those songs back to midset
    - With all due respect, no more guest appearances at shows
    - Quit with the forum requests for songs
    - Only play a deep cut if you can still frickin' play it decently!
    - Embrace your whole catalog live and learn to play songs like Grievance, Got Some, Faithfull, Severed Hand and Hail, Hail more
    - Alternate Y Led with Parting Ways and All Or None to end shows
    - I can't stand Motherlove Bone, Mudhoney or Temple of the Dog
    Oh, and Yield is waaaaaay overrated.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    i'm contempt with the shows I've already seen don't need to see anymore ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Another unpopular opinion about Pearl Jam Music:

Tired of seeing threads trying to tell the band what to play, what not to play, how to play it, and what is meaningless.  Pearl Jam music is great and they can play whatever the heck they want -- whatever is fun for them and sees them keep wanting to play shows for us wacky fans.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    The only thing to redeem Of The Earth is the Third Man performance. Other than that, it is pieced together odd and lyrically boring.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016