Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

1121314151618»

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    MedozK said:
    For those that have this album in your collection. This is by far the best I have ever heard it sound. Now I have not heard an original 6 eye to compare it to, but this 2 x 12" 45RPM wows, I promise.

I have the Newbury blue which is quite impressive, but always looking for the best.  What's the number on it, or the Discogs link?
    My only 'complaint' is that it's almost too "stereo", if that makes sense.  Is this one mono?
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    For those that have this album in your collection. This is by far the best I have ever heard it sound. Now I have not heard an original 6 eye to compare it to, but this 2 x 12" 45RPM wows, I promise.

I have the Newbury blue which is quite impressive, but always looking for the best.  What's the number on it, or the Discogs link?
    My only 'complaint' is that it's almost too "stereo", if that makes sense.  Is this one mono?
    It's stereo.

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue/release/7303082
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    MedozK said:

Absolutely agree!  My favorite copy of this fantastic album!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    I have a 6 eye mono, the Sony RSD mono from a few years back and the MOFI, while all sound amazing, the MOFI really is something else. 
    Damn you guys... now I'm going to have to go spend 60 bucks on this bastard... AGAIN.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    mrussel1 said:
    Damn you guys... now I'm going to have to go spend 60 bucks on this bastard... AGAIN.  
    Ha ha!  Yes! My first thoughts were oh.... shit!  But first I have to deal with my TT issue.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• This one is really nice to listen and I like the sound + the music from it.

• The sound from this 2 record set is amazing
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2018
    Lets bring this thread out of the shadows... been to busy for a while to do some real listening, but I'm going to get back at it.. and i'm excited for some new stuff. Just pre-ordered this... great album and all I had to do is see it was cut by Kevin Gray, which means almost guaranteed to be great sounding.

https://jackpotrecords.com/shop/dr-john-gris-gris-mono-limited-edition-green-vinyl-lp
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Dr John, just the look alone of the sleeve and the lime green vinyl makes it worth hearing. Hope it sounds as good as it looks!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.

• Remaster 2016 US Pressing. This record is amazing to listen.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

Finally found a decent sounding version of this, I'd love an original pressing of course, but this (Euro, XL Recordings – XLLP780) from 2016 does sound rather good if a little on the bright side. I had another reissue from Capitol Records, but it sounded like dog turd so I got rid of that. Anyone have an original pressing? They're the way to go I'm sure..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,739
    Remastered bad brains rock for light is weak...sorry hr. They sped it up a quater speed. BB is great just the way they are. Picked up an early pressing and sounds perfect.

Remaster 2016 US Pressing. This record is amazing to listen.
    Cool. Only time I saw SG was on that tour. CC screeeaaaming was so new. If you crank that you may break some windows.
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Loujoe said:

Cool. Only time I saw SG was on that tour. CC screeeaaaming was so new. If you crank that you may break some windows.
    Does the 2016 remaster sound Better than the original?
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    reesdog said:

Finally found a decent sounding version of this, I'd love an original pressing of course, but this (Euro, XL Recordings – XLLP780) from 2016 does sound rather good if a little on the bright side. I had another reissue from Capitol Records, but it sounded like dog turd so I got rid of that. Anyone have an original pressing? They're the way to go I'm sure..

I have one. it sounds really good. I traded the inferior Capital REissue circa 2011 back in. wasn't happy with it.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Air23 said:
    Loujoe said:

Does the 2016 remaster sound Better than the original?
    Idk. Dont have either was just commenting on cc vocals during that time. Lots of screaming.
    Chris Bellman's 2016 mastered Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits is one of the best sounding vinyl LPs I own.  GREAT sound!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Chris Bellman's 2016 mastered Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits is one of the best sounding vinyl LPs I own.  GREAT sound!

Every Petty meets that bar.  They take great pride in their vinyl sound.  I own everything besides Kiss My Amps I, and they are all stellar.  Did you notice it's a different version of Mary Jane than the classic?
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Buy every Wilco record!!!
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Every Petty meets that bar.  They take great pride in their vinyl sound.  I own everything besides Kiss My Amps I, and they are all stellar.  Did you notice it's a different version of Mary Jane than the classic?
    Good point- I don't have all the albums on vinyl (yet, lol) but the four I do have are all top-notch!

No, didn't notice that.  I should track down the single to hear it.

Here's what I've got on vinyl:

You're Gonna Get It
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Hard Promises
    Greatest Hits

On CD:
    Full Moon Fever
    Wildflowers
    Highway Companion
    Swingin' (promo single)

Wildflowers on vinyl is too steep for my budget or it would be next.  Otherwise, in your opinion, what should I go with next?
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Good point- I don't have all the albums on vinyl (yet, lol) but the four I do have are all top-notch!

You're Gonna Get It
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Hard Promises
    Greatest Hits

On CD:
    Full Moon Fever
    Wildflowers
    Highway Companion
    Swingin' (promo single)

Wildflowers on vinyl is too steep for my budget or it would be next.  Otherwise, in your opinion, what should I go with next?
    Well unfortunately awesomeness and price are directly correlated on my suggestions.   

If you can save your pennies for a bit and can swing the Volume II of the box set, that's absolutely the way to go.  That gets you analog Wildflowers along with all those double albums he released after WF.  The original WF was digital, so remaster is the way to go.  You can get Vol II for $200.  https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?currency=USD&master_id=1438309&ev=mb

If that's too steep, then the Live Anthology would quickly become your favorite record.  You can get that for $115.  It's 7 records, all of them beautifully mastered and not just a greatest hits.  The 12 minute version of It's Good to be King was worth the price.

Then I'd go with the new "Best of Everything".  While there is some redundancy to your greatest hits, this is 4LP and includes the second half of his career.  Your GH ends before WF obviously.  This is $65.  

So then you're down to single albums.  You've got great ones already, but Full Moon in vinyl is  awesome, along with Into the Great Wide Open.  I'm a big fan of the Jeff Lynn/Wilbury's era of Petty.  After that, probably Southern Accents.  But you really can't go wrong with the single releases.  They were all remastered with great care, so all preference. 

Wildflowers is such a masterpiece of beauty to me.  I treasure that album.  

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

You're Gonna Get It
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Hard Promises
    Greatest Hits

On CD:
    Full Moon Fever
    Wildflowers
    Highway Companion
    Swingin' (promo single)

Well unfortunately awesomeness and price are directly correlated on my suggestions.   

If you can save your pennies for a bit and can swing the Volume II of the box set, that's absolutely the way to go.  That gets you analog Wildflowers along with all those double albums he released after WF.  The original WF was digital, so remaster is the way to go.  You can get Vol II for $200.  https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?currency=USD&master_id=1438309&ev=mb

If that's too steep, then the Live Anthology would quickly become your favorite record.  You can get that for $115.  It's 7 records, all of them beautifully mastered and not just a greatest hits.  The 12 minute version of It's Good to be King was worth the price.

Then I'd go with the new "Best of Everything".  While there is some redundancy to your greatest hits, this is 4LP and includes the second half of his career.  Your GH ends before WF obviously.  This is $65.  

So then you're down to single albums.  You've got great ones already, but Full Moon in vinyl is  awesome, along with Into the Great Wide Open.  I'm a big fan of the Jeff Lynn/Wilbury's era of Petty.  After that, probably Southern Accents.  But you really can't go wrong with the single releases.  They were all remastered with great care, so all preference. 

Looks like it will have to be one of the single albums next.  My taste are pretty broad and my budget limited so I have a ceiling of $50 for any LP (and that is very rare- I try to stay under $25).  Even though I have the CD, I'm thinking of going with Full Moon Fever next.  Even though Hits has three songs on it, I'd love to have the whole thing on vinyl, especially the Chris Bellman master.

Thanks for the tips!

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

You're Gonna Get It
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Hard Promises
    Greatest Hits

On CD:
    Full Moon Fever
    Wildflowers
    Highway Companion
    Swingin' (promo single)

Looks like it will have to be one of the single albums next.  My taste are pretty broad and my budget limited so I have a ceiling of $50 for any LP (and that is very rare- I try to stay under $25).  Even though I have the CD, I'm thinking of going with Full Moon Fever next.  Even though Hits has three songs on it, I'd love to have the whole thing on vinyl, especially the Chris Bellman master.

Thanks for the tips!
    Yeah, there's something to be said about listening to an album in the way the artist intended, in the proper order.