Castle Rock *now spoilery*

WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
edited August 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone watching? First 3 dropped last Wednesday. I'm digging it so far. Since there is no book to compare it to, I find myself enjoying the theme and references to other stories without criticizing the differences.
Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Because I'm cheap, Im gonna wait until the whole season is out then do a free trial run and knock out Season 2 of Handmaids Tale as well.
    It does look damn good though. Love all the little references Ive seen so far.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I liked the feel and agree about no book source making me appreciate it more.  Wish I would have waited until they were all out to watch but I couldn't help myself and now I want to know what happens.
    Not sure why Hulu won't drop the whole season at one time.  They already have our money.
    Perhaps they are trying to block people like DD

Lol
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I'll wait for the season to ending and then i'm watching this..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Ep 4.  Creepy/Puzzling/Wow
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Ep 4.  Creepy/Puzzling/Wow
    It doesn't seem like many here are watching it so I will avoid spoilers, but yeah... wow. 
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    I just started watching this on Hulu.  I think it is really good so far.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I've been watching this since it premiered on Space Channel in Canada, really enjoying it so far, glad to hear it's been renewed for a second season.

At what part are we allowed to get spoilery, lol?  I thought last week's episode, "The Queen" was really well done, and leave it at that.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I've been watching this since it premiered on Space Channel in Canada, really enjoying it so far, glad to hear it's been renewed for a second season.

At what part are we allowed to get spoilery, lol?  I thought last week's episode, "The Queen" was really well done, and leave it at that.
    Spoil away! 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2018
    No Hulu in Canada. I really wish King would stop doing this stuff with Hulu and stick with Netflix or Amazon Prime instead. Why use a US-only company? Seems so restrictive. I know I can pay for the Space Channel to get it... but dammit, paying for just one channel bothers me, when I can get almost endless options for only a little more than double the price from a streaming service.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    $$
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    This was partially filmed in my hometown. I want to check it out. Is it any good?
    This was partially filmed in my hometown. I want to check it out. Is it any good?
    If you enjoy the genre and shows that jump around in time a little, you should enjoy it. 
    I think it is good so far....watching new episode next . 
    Just started this. 
    Back from out of town and watched the last 2 episodes yesterday, and I'm still confused as to who the Kid actually is, lol.  Time travel gives me headaches, lol.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I'm not reading the thread, as I think I'm only through episode 4 (5?). I'm enjoying it - definitely binge worthy. The story doesn't really move all that much, but somehow that is working for this show, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I thought the way it ended sucked.
    Really liked the first 2/3 of the season, though.
    Extremely disappointing series. At times a mess story wise. I enjoyed it up until the last 2 or 3 episodes. i get what they were trying to do, but it wasnt done well Imo.
    Extremely disappointing series. At times a mess story wise. I enjoyed it up until the last 2 or 3 episodes. i get what they were trying to do, but it wasnt done well Imo.
    Have yet to hear from anyone who liked the ending.
    I feel like it was confusing af and just garbage.
    I'll chime in as having enjoyed it, lol, even though I'm still a bit confused on a couple aspects (around the kid).  If anything was a letdown in the ending, it felt a bit too "happily ever after" for some of the characters (mainly Henry) for something based on Stephen King.  I'm assuming the ending with Molly's assistant means they're aiming to make it an "anthology"-type series (though if the series stays true to King, they'll all connect in the end).  Guess I'm one of the few looking forward to season 2, lol.

My confusion around the kid is, who is he really, and do we believe his story?

I'll chime in as having enjoyed it, lol, even though I'm still a bit confused on a couple aspects (around the kid).  If anything was a letdown in the ending, it felt a bit too "happily ever after" for some of the characters (mainly Henry) for something based on Stephen King.  I'm assuming the ending with Molly's assistant means they're aiming to make it an "anthology"-type series (though if the series stays true to King, they'll all connect in the end).  Guess I'm one of the few looking forward to season 2, lol.

My confusion around the kid is, who is he really, and do we believe his story?
    Cool, glad that you dug it.  Perhaps I was most put off by the ending because I liked the start so much.
    You know, as an avid King fan, it made me think of a Dean Koontz novel.  Good start, poo ending.  [Everyone used to try and sell me on him being as "good" as King.  Not to me!]

Shared some of the same confusion/concerns.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    First three episodes of season 2 dropped yesterday. Grabbed me right away. Interesting characters and elements from at least four of King's stories.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Finally got caught up yesterday, binged the first six episodes, lol. Never having read or seen Misery, this has been an interesting introduction to Annie Wilkes, lol.

This season is still enjoyable for me, and there’s more to come, but I think I preferred the first season and some of the questions it left us. Have to see where this one ends up.

2 biggest takeaways so far: I’m really pulling for Joy to survive (despite some foreshadowing, lol), and DEATH BY ICE CREAM SCOOP!

Season finale tonight, still enjoying this season even though it’s so different from the last.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Finally got caught up yesterday, binged the first six episodes, lol. Never having read or seen Misery, this has been an interesting introduction to Annie Wilkes, lol.

This season is still enjoyable for me, and there’s more to come, but I think I preferred the first season and some of the questions it left us. Have to see where this one ends up.

2 biggest takeaways so far: I’m really pulling for Joy to survive (despite some foreshadowing, lol), and DEATH BY ICE CREAM SCOOP!
    really good writing to marry the character we know from  the movie and Kathy Bates build of the role and this actress filling that in beautifully....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

really good writing to marry the character we know from  the movie and Kathy Bates build of the role and this actress filling that in beautifully....
    I’m honestly curious, did not being familiar with the character make it easier to be sympathetic to Annie? I do know bits from pop culture, like the hobbling. Were you sympathetic, or did you loathe the character over the course of the season?

My buddy picked me up a bunch of King hardcovers from the thrift store a while ago, lol. When I finish working through the pile I’ll be hunting down a copy of Misery, I suspect, lol.

mickeyrat said:

I’m honestly curious, did not being familiar with the character make it easier to be sympathetic to Annie? I do know bits from pop culture, like the hobbling. Were you sympathetic, or did you loathe the character over the course of the season?
    am more sympathetic after these past few episodes. at least for how she is and came to that. but stop short as it relates to her decisions, although that propensity to violence seems in born (re: the lunch box incident)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

am more sympathetic after these past few episodes. at least for how she is and came to that. but stop short as it relates to her decisions, although that propensity to violence seems in born (re: the lunch box incident)
    Completely agree she seems to have been born with violent tendencies (exacerbated by the way her parents dealt with it), thanks for your insight.

Being between books I decided to start Different Seasons last night, in part because of Tim Robbins’ solid performance, lol.

Now I wonder where they go from here?
    Spin off into a Misery type series?