Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    PJ_Soul said:
    Interesting to remember that no one thought ANY of this through this guy’s last 30 years in his career.  Law school, civil court, DC appeals court, nothing.  None of his friends were wanted for assault, none were even questioned.  Not even the guy who helped him supposedly drug and have sex with women, none of the folks who signed his yearbook with Rennet or whatever the word is in there were even asked about assaults.  not a peep.  Now they’re suddenly like “oh, THAT Brett Kavanaugh?!?”

Just saying that before all of the conspiracists start throwing out crazy stuff, and before we all try to attack and ruin someone’s personal life or career because we don’t agree with their politics or hate Trump, be human beings first.  There’s a process before someone is considered guilty in this country, let’s go through that first.  

By the way, in case people forgot like it seems they did about Brett for the last 30 years, the process doesn’t include a circus hearing like we have planned on Thursday, or even an FBI investigation.  It involves bringing evidence to the police, and bringing charges against the person you’re accusing.  Not writing a letter to a senator.  

Again, I just want to pump the conspiracy breaks here.  There’s of course a chance Ford is a victim.  There’s also a chance this another Duke Lacrosse team.
    You could say the same about Weinstein, Cosby, Spacey, Trump, etc, etc ..... If anyone thinks not having heard about accusations in the media before a certain point in time indicates possible innocence at this point or is a solid argument for a possible conspiracy, I would suggest they haven't been paying much attention to #metoo and the issues it's helped bring to light.
    Yes, there is indeed a process before someone is considered guilty.... in a court of law. As has been discussed a lot already, that simply cannot be the only method used to deal with sex predators/accusations, for many very good reasons. Bringing evidence to the police and bringing charges against the person is usually not an option in cases like this. We absolutely cannot turn to that black and white perspective with this issue. It doesn't work and it would fuck over the vast majority of accusers/victims. That's why Trump is advocating for the same thing.
    I can’t bold things easily with my phone and I’m too lazy to do so anyway so I just quoted your whole post, but why can’t we correctly use the legal system with regards to this issue?  If it’s a criminal act youre suggesting, that’s how it is done.  One can’t simply decide when the constitution works for them and when it doesn’t.
    he isn't being tried. he's being considered for the highest court in the land. the legal system isn't at play here. 
    Then she is lucky she’s even getting a hearing.  She needs to after him in court.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Interesting to remember that no one thought ANY of this through this guy’s last 30 years in his career.  Law school, civil court, DC appeals court, nothing.  None of his friends were wanted for assault, none were even questioned.  Not even the guy who helped him supposedly drug and have sex with women, none of the folks who signed his yearbook with Rennet or whatever the word is in there were even asked about assaults.  not a peep.  Now they’re suddenly like “oh, THAT Brett Kavanaugh?!?”

Just saying that before all of the conspiracists start throwing out crazy stuff, and before we all try to attack and ruin someone’s personal life or career because we don’t agree with their politics or hate Trump, be human beings first.  There’s a process before someone is considered guilty in this country, let’s go through that first.  

By the way, in case people forgot like it seems they did about Brett for the last 30 years, the process doesn’t include a circus hearing like we have planned on Thursday, or even an FBI investigation.  It involves bringing evidence to the police, and bringing charges against the person you’re accusing.  Not writing a letter to a senator.  

Again, I just want to pump the conspiracy breaks here.  There’s of course a chance Ford is a victim.  There’s also a chance this another Duke Lacrosse team.
    Maybe go back and read the thread where issues like this are discussed before just churning the same excuses again. 
    Excuses?  Sorry, but I’m living in the world of facts, and unfortunately for her, having someone make a claim isn’t a fact.  Neither is a an eye witness unless they can prove what they’re saying.  I’ll believe a rape test, physical evidence from the scene, photos, videos, etc.  A great example is Cosby- there was a LOT of evidence to convict him, and convict and punish him they have done.  Our justice system isn’t based on claims, it’s based on evidence, and it always will be.  It’s not nice to those who decide not to come forward when these acts happen, but that’s how it works.
    have you read this thread though? As others and myself have mentioned, there are very good reasons why you can't just rely on facts they way you're suggesting, and there is a tons of info out there that you could go through to understand why that is in fact NOT how it works. Are you planning on just ignoring all of it?
    As has also been pointed out, the confirmation hearings are not a court of law. They're basically a job interview. Since when do job interviews require facts that stand up in a court of law before the applicant is rejected?
    I haven’t read the thread, and I don’t plan on it- fill me in on the reasons you can’t go through the legal process.  I have empathy for the accused in these situations as much as I do for the victim- both are human beings until the gavel hits the bench.  You can’t go around making claims about people and disrupting or maybe worse their careers or personal
    lives without repercussion- that’s why the legal system exists- so both parties are protected and we don’t have a Wild West of no rule and everyone just shouts over everyone.

100% agree with the fact that this is similar to a job interview, you’re absolutely correct.  That’s part of my point, it’s not the place for this type of claim.  If I were interviewing someone (and I’ve done hundreds of them) and someone came to me telling me that a candidate if spoken with had raped someone (but there was no court case) I would disregard it because they need to go to the police, not me.
    if you can't be bothered to read the thread, I can't be bothered to respond to you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Maybe go back and read the thread where issues like this are discussed before just churning the same excuses again. 
    Excuses?  Sorry, but I’m living in the world of facts, and unfortunately for her, having someone make a claim isn’t a fact.  Neither is a an eye witness unless they can prove what they’re saying.  I’ll believe a rape test, physical evidence from the scene, photos, videos, etc.  A great example is Cosby- there was a LOT of evidence to convict him, and convict and punish him they have done.  Our justice system isn’t based on claims, it’s based on evidence, and it always will be.  It’s not nice to those who decide not to come forward when these acts happen, but that’s how it works.
    have you read this thread though? As others and myself have mentioned, there are very good reasons why you can't just rely on facts they way you're suggesting, and there is a tons of info out there that you could go through to understand why that is in fact NOT how it works. Are you planning on just ignoring all of it?
    As has also been pointed out, the confirmation hearings are not a court of law. They're basically a job interview. Since when do job interviews require facts that stand up in a court of law before the applicant is rejected?
    I haven’t read the thread, and I don’t plan on it- fill me in on the reasons you can’t go through the legal process.  I have empathy for the accused in these situations as much as I do for the victim- both are human beings until the gavel hits the bench.  You can’t go around making claims about people and disrupting or maybe worse their careers or personal
    lives without repercussion- that’s why the legal system exists- so both parties are protected and we don’t have a Wild West of no rule and everyone just shouts over everyone.

100% agree with the fact that this is similar to a job interview, you’re absolutely correct.  That’s part of my point, it’s not the place for this type of claim.  If I were interviewing someone (and I’ve done hundreds of them) and someone came to me telling me that a candidate if spoken with had raped someone (but there was no court case) I would disregard it because they need to go to the police, not me.
    Why would I waste my time filling you in when it's all already in this thread and all over the media and a ton of sources that you can look up yourself? ... Tell you what, if you pay me to do it, I'll put in some time. :lol:
    Really dude, you're way late to the party here. You should have posted these posts on page 1 or 2, not page 18.

Seriously??? If you were interviewing someone and got a call saying that he was rapist you'd just ignore it completely? Good lord, I hope you're not actually in charge of hiring anywhere!
    Do you have kids? How would you feel if one of your kids was sexually assaulted, but there was no proof? Would you just tell them "too bad, so sad. Sucks you don't have any evidence to take to the police!"?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

if you can't be bothered to read the thread, I can't be bothered to respond to you. 
    Lol, fine.  I’m still not reading several hours of meandering posts to try to find the reasons you are all saying exist somewhere in there.  You could write them all in less than 5 minutes for sake of discussion, but you can’t be bothered.  Whatevs, I’ll assume they don’t exist then.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,230
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Why would I waste my time filling you in when it's all already in this thread and all over the media and a ton of sources that you can look up yourself? ... Tell you what, if you pay me to do it, I'll put in some time. :lol:
    Really dude, you're way late to the party here. You should have posted these posts on page 1 or 2, not page 18.

Seriously??? If you were interviewing someone and got a call saying that he was rapist you'd just ignore it?! Good lord, I hope you're not actually in charge of hiring anywhere!
    I have refrained from responding until I read that as well. As a hiring supervisor, I vet the shit out of my employees. Anyone who hires people in sensitive positions knows how important it is to investigate claims. I deal with law enforcement all the time and if the standard was if they will charge then we'd be hiring stalkers, harassers and creeps all the time because no charge has been filed. The legal system is a fucking mess and by no means be used as the end all be all of if someone is a good candidate. FFS.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    PJ_Soul said:

Ford asked for the FBI to get involved.  Did you miss that part?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,230
    Anyone that ignorant is either living in a silo or just troooooooooooooolling.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Right? I was going to say... this has to be a trolling attempt.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The intellectually lazy strike again. And people wonder why nothing changes?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have to ask.  If you were interviewing someone for a child care position and someone told you that the person you just interviewed had molested multiple children, you would hire them because they should tell the police and not you?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol, fine.  I’m still not reading several hours of meandering posts to try to find the reasons you are all saying exist somewhere in there.  You could write them all in less than 5 minutes for sake of discussion, but you can’t be bothered.  Whatevs, I’ll assume they don’t exist then.
    you are asking people to summarize a thread we've been discussing because you are too fucking lazy to do it yourself. sorry, we're not your secretaries. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Seriously??? If you were interviewing someone and got a call saying that he was rapist you'd just ignore it completely? Good lord, I hope you're not actually in charge of hiring anywhere!
    Do you have kids? How would you feel if one of your kids was sexually assaulted, but there was no proof? Would you just tell them "too bad, so sad. Sucks you don't have any evidence to take to the police!"?
    I am in charge of hiring, have been for the last 7 years.  You don’t change your perception of an interviewee because someone cries wolf.  That’s called slander or libel.  The question on an application is “Have you ever been convicted of a felony?” It is NOT “Has anyone ever claimed that you did something bad to them?” Because it will never be a crime to have someone point a finger at you.

And because no one will explain the obvious facts I haven’t seen I’ll assume they don’t exist.  Again, it doesn’t work like “I told you so!” Or “but person X said so!” 

i have two daughters.  They know how the legal world works, we have several attorneys in our family as well as police officers.  They know how to protect themselves and the actions to take if god forbid any scumbag does something to them unwanted.  

Look, it’s a sensitive issue! You guys are all obviously thinking that I think he’s innocent- I don’t think shit, it’s for a court to decide.  Not a interviewer.  Whole thing stinks to me.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^to disqualify him?
    with one accuser? at least some type of investigation. or at least fucking speaking to the person. 

with 4, if that's what we're up to now? pretty much nothing. when you get into multiples, I don't see the chances of him being innocent as being anywhere near possible. 
    I agree with this. If he still maintains his innocence I think he should sit there and listen to his accusers. But the burden of proof goes way down once several people report the same behavior. And if I were a senator, I wouldn’t be able to vote for him. 
    Right, but say it's just one person.  What is the burden of proof?  Is it "believable", "preponderance of the evidence", "beyond a reasonable doubt"?  If you were on taht committee, voting for someone to be a SCOTUS for life (not go to jail, not lose your job), what is the burden?  For me, it's believable.  I think it's a fairly low bar for the accuser to cross.  The position is too important.  It is essentially the most important long term job in the country. 
    This is where I'm at.

I find both women who have forward so far credible and believable.
    I was reading about the second women, and that is definitely not the case. She admits being unsure it was Kavanaugh, is said to have contact friends asking if they remember it. Says the whole night is hazey, and that she believes it could have been Kavanaugh, but admits she dosent even remember. 

The Times had interviewed several dozen people over the past week in an attempt to corroborate her story, and could find no one with firsthand knowledge. Ms. Ramirez herself contacted former Yale classmates asking if they recalled the incident and told some of them that she could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-testify.html

Thats not my definition of reliable and credible.

Did you read the original The New Yorker article?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

owns his own restaurants. so yeah, he wasn't kidding that he is constantly hiring people. and in hospitality, no less. in my experience, one of the more sexually toxic environments to work in. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I am in charge of hiring, have been for the last 7 years.  You don’t change your perception of an interviewee because someone cries wolf.  That’s called slander or libel.  The question on an application is “Have you ever been convicted of a felony?” It is NOT “Has anyone ever claimed that you did something bad to them?” Because it will never be a crime to have someone point a finger at you.

And because no one will explain the obvious facts I haven’t seen I’ll assume they don’t exist.  Again, it doesn’t work like “I told you so!” Or “but person X said so!” 

i have two daughters.  They know how the legal world works, we have several attorneys in our family as well as police officers.  They know how to protect themselves and the actions to take if god forbid any scumbag does something to them unwanted.  

Look, it’s a sensitive issue! You guys are all obviously thinking that I think he’s innocent- I don’t think shit, it’s for a court to decide.  Not a interviewer.  Whole thing stinks to me.
    so you'd be ok with hiring someone if the background checks came back with the things Kavanaugh has been accused of AND what he has been seen on tape  saying (what happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep) said, he has written and a few of the pictures that have been shown (you know hanging a flag made of women's panties)? 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You don’t ask for the FBI to get involved, you go to the police- did you miss THAT part? Jesus, folks, there’s a course of action to follow.  The FBI isn’t around to take orders from citizens, never has been.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Call me any names you choose to, that’s the modern way to discuss things right?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

you are asking people to summarize a thread we've been discussing because you are too fucking lazy to do it yourself. sorry, we're not your secretaries. 
    Keep that evidence coming, it’s lookking better and better for
    you.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

owns his own restaurants. so yeah, he wasn't kidding that he is constantly hiring people. and in hospitality, no less. in my experience, one of the more sexually toxic environments to work in. 
    Attack me all you want.  I had 52 employees last year and only lost 8.  I love when people talk shit as if they have any idea what they’re talking about.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Keep that evidence coming, it’s lookking better and better for
    you.
    huh? it's in the thread for you to read for yourself. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You don’t ask for the FBI to get involved, you go to the police- did you miss THAT part? Jesus, folks, there’s a course of action to follow.  The FBI isn’t around to take orders from citizens, never has been.
    Actually in this case the White House could ask the FBI to get involved.  Ford wants them to do that.  The WH doesn't want to do that.

That seems to suggest that Ford is telling the truth.  And it suggests that the WH/Kavanaugh are hiding something.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Attack me all you want.  I had 52 employees last year and only lost 8.  I love when people talk shit as if they have any idea what they’re talking about.
    I know that if you hired a child care worker after being told they might have molested children that you would be really bad at your job.  You pretty much said that you would do that.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have to ask.  If you were interviewing someone for a child care position and someone told you that the person you just interviewed had molested multiple children, you would hire them because they should tell the police and not you?
    I would check into the claims, for sure! I wouldn’t just hire the person no questions asked, that would be insane.  Background check, criminal history check, etc, for sure, but the candidate would be equal on paper to the other applicants unless there was evidence to back up the claim.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Actually in this case the White House could ask the FBI to get involved.  Ford wants them to do that.  The WH doesn't want to do that.

That seems to suggest that Ford is telling the truth.  And it suggests that the WH/Kavanaugh are hiding something.

I've heard that repeated many times, and I disagree with that logic.
    Did Hilary welcome an FBI investigation to prove she was innocent? Of course not, no one does.  Innocent people don't want to be investigated just as much as guilty people, so wanting or not wanting one has little relevance to me.
    If you want t use the unwelcoming of an FBI investigation as part of your evidence of guilt, that can go down a whole new rabbit hole.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Call me any names you choose to, that’s the modern way to discuss things right?
    and the modern way of doing your own work is demanding others do it for you, right?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

who is attacking you? she asked if you are in charge of hiring, and I said you are since you own your own business(es). are you denying that hospitality is not a sexually toxic environment? that's not an attack on your, it's an observation on the industry based on my own experience. and it was not a bar. it was a normal family restaurant I worked in. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Did Hilary welcome an FBI investigation to prove she was innocent? Of course not, no one does.  Innocent people don't want to be investigated just as much as guilty people, so wanting or not wanting one has little relevance to me.
    If you want t use the unwelcoming of an FBI investigation as part of your evidence of guilt, that can go down a whole new rabbit hole.
    VICTIM: 
    Q: You claim to have been assaulted.  Is that true?
    A: Yes
    Q: Would you like the FBI to investigate that assault?

Accused:
    Q: You have been accused of assault. Did you?
    A: No

Give me a fucking break

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It sincerely concerns me that you think your daughters are immune from such situations ... Oh wait! You're totally unwilling to learn why your daughters aren't immune, so never mind I guess!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It sincerely concerns me that you think your daughters are immune from such situations ... Oh wait! You're totally unwilling to learn why your daughters aren't immune, so never mind I guess!
    Maybe you can summarize the reasons for him?  He's so busy hiring criminals that he doesn't have time to read.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

VICTIM: 
    Q: You claim to have been assaulted.  Is that true?

Accused:
    Q: You have been accused of assault. Did you?

Give me a fucking break

So then you would say anyone dismissing an investigation is guilty?
    Really puts a lot of things in a  new perspective then