Options

Vocal cord surgery

AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
has anybody had it, or known somebody who has had it that wants to share about it?

I am having something removed from my right vocal cord in a couple weeks. Long story short I aggravated my throat at the Wrigley N2 show and for the days and weeks following I had an uncontrollable cough from what I thought was a virus and post nasal drip, and my voice has been hoarse as hell. Turns out I have some kind of lesion and after yelling and singing all night I guess I made things worse which caused me to head to an ENT who discovered the lesion and believes this simple surgery will clear me right up. 

It didn’t really phase me because I was iust happy to have a plan to fix things. And as far as surgeries go, I have had a few in the past three years that are way more involved and with tough recoveries. I am tired of coughing and sick if not being able to speak clearly. Making arrangements for the surgery and telling coworkers and family about it and seeing their reactions and concern has actually made me a bit nervous. My husband said the other night that everyone except me actually thinks this is a big deal.  For the obvious reasons of worrying about the pathology of the lesion, and also the surgery itself and the aftermath. Vocal rest for a few days to a couple weeks...how in the hell do I do that successfully? What if my voice is always  gravelly and breathy like it is now? What if it gets worse?

But I do miss singing, I used to have a pretty nice voice, and its deteriorated over the last few years and most recently just been detroyed. I am hoping to get it back in some form so I keep trying to hold onto that hope. And I am just fortunate that I don’t make my living with my voice.

Sorry for the ramble but I am home cleaning the house listening to PJ touring band and croaking along to all the songs has this all on my mind. I am Anne btw  ;)

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Good luck with the surgery, Anne.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thanks Brian! I am sure while I am home not talking, I will check in and give an update after the surgery. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Astaak said:
    Thanks Brian! I am sure while I am home not talking, I will check in and give an update after the surgery. 
    I just looked this up- singers who have had vocal cord surgery:  Justin Timberlake, Sam Smith,Adele, Björk, Shirley Manson, Keith Urban, John Mayer and Rod Stewart.  You're in good company!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    This is true! I am sure it was way scarier for those folks!

I think I went wrong when I found a website that goes into detail on the procedure, there was a photo of the instruments they may use. I have had organs removed but this is what freaked me out. And the no talking thing. I am currently trying to train a puppy and not using voice commands will be tough. Keely is a pretty stubborn pup. I won’t be able to sing “this is not for you!” When she gets her mouth on something she shouldn’t. Haha 

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,917
    Omg Keely is adorable!  I’m sorry to hear about the need for your upcoming surgery Anne.  I hope it is a smashing success and that you heal quickly.  I’d anticipate Keely backsliding during this period lol. C’est la vie.  You’ll just have to begin again once you’re healed up.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Thanks! She is currently trying to chew on the laundry I am putting away. Time to take her for a long ass walk and tire her out!