Seattle night two 2018

TACTAC NW Posts: 52
What an amazing time in Seattle.  I only caught night two.  I had so much fun I nearly forgot to ask my better half to marry me.  Or was it the brown sugar pJ bourbon that caused me to nearly forget?

When baba o Riley came in, I was like oh shit I better do this now.  I met some great people.  

Comments

• Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    Congrats dude
    • I assume she said yes, congratulations.  I however would ask, they played Baba?  I had the most fun time I've ever had at a PJ show and I've been to many, many PJ shows.  I was with my best PJ buddy, we are both responsible adults but you might say we over indulged.  I had a blast and you obviously had an experience of a life time. Win win. 
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    It was definitely the gem of the tour.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    ^whilst every PJ show is a gem I'd never chose nine cover songs
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    true, but when sonic reducer and baba are played in the same set it's hard to complain about the quality. Or the fact they played 36 songs...which is just ridiculous.
  • potnikpotnik Posts: 440
    Anything that these 6 gentlemen want to play can be a gem set.  We should all be happy that they show up and play "the ones" we all want to hear.

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Missing for the first time ever in honor of Chris Cornell. I Won't Back Down in honor of Tom Petty. Kick Out The Jams with Kim Thayil. Crown Of Thorns in honor of Andy Wood. Sonic Reducer and Search and Destroy with Kim and Mark Arm. Crazy Mary which is a cover but also a song they made famous. Baba which has become a staple.

Covers didn't bother me a bit that night.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    Missing for the first time ever in honor of Chris Cornell. I Won't Back Down in honor of Tom Petty. Kick Out The Jams with Kim Thayil. Crown Of Thorns in honor of Andy Wood. Sonic Reducer and Search and Destroy with Kim and Mark Arm. Crazy Mary which is a cover but also a song they made famous. Baba which has become a staple.

i totally agree
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JimmyV said:

I'd go even further and say not only did the covers not bother me, they were part of the emotion and energy that built and built and made it a show that even people who've seen 70+ PJ shows said was in their top 5.  Not that how many shows you've seen determines the value of your opinion of the show, but it IS significant when that many people with big show counts say "This was SPECIAL".

And the covers were part of what made it emotional and enjoyable for the band, and for the audience. It all built on top of each other.
    It's great most fans love the covers. I do also but anything over 4 is just too many. I go to see PJ play PJ. 9 covers is off the charts.

As good as Ed is singing someone else's tunes (I'd contend many of the covers just don't fit his voice)...He is by far at his best singing his own songs. Still this sounds like a fun show but please let's hope they stop straying so far from their own catalogue for future tours.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    It's great most fans love the covers. I do also but anything over 4 is just too many. I go to see PJ play PJ. 9 covers is off the charts.

As good as Ed is singing someone else's tunes (I'd contend many of the covers just don't fit his voice)...He is by far at his best singing his own songs. Still this sounds like a fun show but please let's hope they stop straying so far from their own catalogue for future tours.
    Nope, can't join you in "hoping" for that.  I just love magic shows, period, end of story.  Whatever gets it to that status works for me.  Whatever keeps them on the road, whatever helps them play around enough that a great breadth of fans get to see them (i.e. not just fans who can get to Seattle, Chicago and Boston).

You have every right to hope for whatever works for you, and you've made this hope abundantly clear.  And the rest of us have the same right too, and for me, I've been to about 10 of the shows considered "Epic top of the line PJ shows", and I know the covers count didn't make or break those shows in any ways.  It was the chemistry, the combination of songs and audience energy and band mood and then always those unique strange other factors that you can't predict.  They all feed into the magic.  Your campaign for reduced #s of covers just seems so irrelevant to me - I just don't care what the covers count is. I only care that I leave the show with no face, no voice, no ass, and no socks, because they all got blown off or out due to the sheer stunning amazing-ness of the show.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    That was you with no sox? At Fenway we had no choice. Sox everywhere.

I know my view is in the vast minority here. I may be the only one with it that bothers to post it. But why have a forum if everyone agrees? And its not a campaign website and I don't have a campaign. I have an opinion.

Imagine reading an opinion forum and everyone is saying the opposite of what you believe to be true? You wouldn't want to counter? 9 covers is excessive even for a 36 song performance. IMO.

It's not like during the shows I count covers. But I'm aware whether I'm standing there hearing Ed sing not Eds music and it begins to drag on and on. And I do look at the setlist afterwords to gauge whether my opinion was true to the actual setlist

PJ is an elite band because they are elite songwriters. And Mike is an unsung legend. Not because they do 45 minutes of someone else's material. IMO.

Their deeper cuts are just better than almost all covers they play outside of Neil or MLB (which almost count as true PJ tunes). IMO.

For a band that just isn't playing that many US shows lately this is unfortunate at least in one fans opinion.

You actually don't hope PJ plays more PJ tunes? That is surprising. IMO.
  • If you've been to enough shows you know when you've seen something special. This was a top 5 show for me, even listening to the bootleg you can feel the difference. I didn't think they could create the energy and vibe of everyone being connected in a venue that large but they pulled it off that night.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Your right.

I only did Chicago 2 and both Boston, but I was 6th row behind the pit Chicago, 14th row Boston.

Chicago it happened a couple times, during Rain for me, just that feeling wow this is special and perfect...Boston it never quite happened tho not for lack of trying.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943

If you've been to enough shows you know when you've seen something special. This was a top 5 show for me, even listening to the bootleg you can feel the difference. I didn't think they could create the energy and vibe of everyone being connected in a venue that large but they pulled it off that night.
    Yah I was a few songs in for Seattle II, and I could feel it.   The holy shit this is one of those nights they're really bringing it.   They're pretty damn good most nights, but some nights, sometimes they go way above their own bar, and just bring it.   I've been to 27 shows and maybe seen it/felt it at 4 or 5 of them.. which I think is pretty lucky.