Prince Appreciation Thread

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited September 2018 in Other Music
Somehow there seems to be no Prince thread in Other Music? :confused: If there is, the search function sucks, anyway!

I was looking for the thread because I finally get Prince! I just couldn't get into his music for my entire life, and not for lack of trying. It just wasn't doing it for me, as much as I was able to acknowledge his talent and the fact that he was unique. But now, just over the past month or two, it all fell into place and clicked. Now I LOVE Prince! And there is so much to discover. Spotify is doing a great job and alerting me as all this new and reissued material is being released since his death.

Like this one - "Why The Butterflies - Piano & A Microphone 1983 Version: https://open.spotify.com/track/7uycALSqCwUktlc3SWvKiC?si=SWRtpUgOQEKwungGNwm4Vg

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Prince is one of the greatest musicians of our lifetime. A musician’s musician. He could do it all from a very young age. He knew how to write a hit, and he knew how to write funky, surreal and psychedelic tracks that sent fairweather fans into a tizzy. He also knew how to spot talent and share his gifts (and yes, his coattails) with those who were worthy. He knew when a song was better left for someone else to record. If he couldn’t perform one of his songs straight from the heart and soul and relate to it in a deeply personal way, he found the right vessel for it. 

On a personal level, due to some events that I experienced as a child—and I’d rather not go into detail here—I was a just an all-around freaky kid with bad wisdom. Prince was one of those rock stars who made freaks like me feel comfortable in their own sullied skin. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Fantastic artist and performer.  He’s one of those talents that as you dig through the various phases of his career you may not love everything he did, but the amount of great material is astounding in my opinion.  I equate him similar to Neil Young in this regard, I.E. even if I set aside what’s not to my liking there’s still so much to explore that is wonderful.

For me me a lot of the live material is fantastic including One Night Alone, and the CD of after party jams from that same tour - so funky!

He’s also one of the few artists where the posthumous material should be quite exciting and not just mining the legacy.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2018
    His solo on While my guitar gently weeps at the rock n roll hall of fame was one of the coolest ever
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I really hope they start releasing more of his material. I don't know what is going on with this estate, but the new Piano and a Microphone release has evidently been available in non-official form for a while. I am just extremely thankful that I got to see him in a fairly small venue before he left. 
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    I always liked Prince but when I saw him live I had a “holy shit” moment
    I think Madison Sq Garden almost came down that night
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I toured Paisley Park a few months ago, and I was worried it would be cheesy, but it was really well done. Definitely worth a visit. The merch however - terrible. They didn't have any music for sale, but you could buy 2 Prince branded ping pong balls for $12.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249