"Hypocrisy at its finest" - Ticketmaster

"Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
----
1998 - Montreal 8/20
2003 - Montreal 6/29
2006 - Boston 5/24, Boston 5/25
2008 - Mansfield, MA 6/28
2009 - Toronto 8/21
2010 - Buffalo 5/10, Berlin, DE 6/30
2011 - East Troy, WI 9/3, East Troy, WI 9/4, Toronto 9/11, Toronto 9/12, Hamilton, ON 9/15
2013 - London, ON 7/16
2016 - Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto 5/12, Boston 8/7
2018 - London, UK 6/18, Milan, IT 6/22, Chicago 8/18, Chicago 8/20
2022 - Hamilton, ON 09/06, Toronto 09/08, Nashville 09/16
2023 - Chicago 09/07, Austin, TX 09/18, Austin, TX 09/19
EV Solo
2008 - Toronto 8/13
2011 - Detroit 6/26
TOTD
2016 - NYC 11/7

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    This is why I had a hard time listening to that verified fan Q/A awhile back on the PJ channel. They act like they are in it for the fans but shit like this infuriates me. 
  • I think this verifies what a lot of people have speculated for a long time. 1. Live Nation and Ticketmaster are scum 2. They obviously profit  in a big way from the secondary market

Imagine if all the PJ merch on ebay was being sold by the 10c too......
  • Ticketmaster could wipe out the secondary market really easily. Now we know why they haven't done that.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    In other news, they are reporting that the sky is blue and water is indeed, wet.

Too bad this monopoly is overlooked.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    At least they were giving out cupcakes at the trade show.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    TM = crooked bastards

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 246
    I dont think most people even know what scalping is. Most people when they want tickets go direct to stubhub and they think that is normal and the price they are asking is “face” and that is the official place to get tix.

another thing that is really annoying is when someone is selling tickets at “face” but yet they include the TM fees. To me, face value is what is printed on your ticket, adding the fees is just tacky.

anyway, to hell with ticketmaster. I still have almost a hundred credits and vouchers from that bullshit ticketmaster settlement i cant do shit with. 
    Everyone knows how wrong TM is, yet shit never changes. Everyone needs to wake up
    Previously known as Elzar
    ZAPPER said:
    I dont think most people even know what scalping is. Most people when they want tickets go direct to stubhub and they think that is normal and the price they are asking is “face” and that is the official place to get tix.

another thing that is really annoying is when someone is selling tickets at “face” but yet they include the TM fees. To me, face value is what is printed on your ticket, adding the fees is just tacky.

anyway, to hell with ticketmaster. I still have almost a hundred credits and vouchers from that bullshit ticketmaster settlement i cant do shit with. 
    Everyone knows how wrong TM is, yet shit never changes. Everyone needs to wake up
    I am experiencing this very thing right now trying to buy Elton John tickets for my mom. People on Kijiji are trying to resell their Stubhub tickets there for crazy prices and have no idea that they are not even the original buyers.
  • Although a pain and provided tickets would still be available, I think the event box office limits fees.  Although, I don't think they can come right out and say that.....
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    ZAPPER said:

Uhhh, face value has always been what the total cost of the ticket was. I don't know where you're getting your information. I guess you are not the person someone should hook-up with face value tickets, since you want the seller to pay the fees?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    PJNB said:
    ZAPPER said:

I am experiencing this very thing right now trying to buy Elton John tickets for my mom. People on Kijiji are trying to resell their Stubhub tickets there for crazy prices and have no idea that they are not even the original buyers.
    Everytime i see the words “ticketmaster” or “stubhub” thats enough to get my blood boiling, maybe i got problems lol. 

What i want to know is how all their employees know whats going on but they dont care that they work for companies like this.

People that take advantage of others and pass the blame, “just doing my job”, well fuck that. Im not saying everyone should do it, but when wrong is wrong, i quit my old miserable job (that i made lots of money), and now i make 1/5 of what i did there, but im happier now being poor and enjoying my job, i no longer give a fuck about money at all. Mo money mo problems lol
  • I wasn't able to get Paul McCartney tickets. You should see what these are going for. Its criminal
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I wasn't able to get Paul McCartney tickets. You should see what these are going for. Its criminal

yep. all RESALE tickets available. wtf happened to the original tickets? no way these were purchased by casual fans. these are all in the hands of scalpers.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited September 2018
    1:28:10 Still true to this day...
    https://youtu.be/dK_hepfq0CQ?t=1h28m7s
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I'm way more angry with the lawmakers than I am Ticketmaster.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZAPPER said:

I don't think its tacky to pass along the fees at all. Why should I have to eat the fees when that is the overall price of the ticket? If you bought something at the store for a friend.....when they reimbursed you, would you expect to eat the tax on the purchase?
    ZAPPER said:

I don't think its tacky to pass along the fees at all. Why should I have to eat the fees when that is the overall price of the ticket? If you bought something at the store for a friend.....when they reimbursed you, would you expect to eat the tax on the purchase?

are those fees part of “face value”? Nope. Face is the printed price.

when you buy something at a store for a friend is entirely different from scalping your tickets. Its the principle, and it is tacky. 

are you also going to bill them for time spent purchasing tix, gas, etc? 

Fees this and fees that, its all bullshit, the tickets are expensive enough, then they want to stick you for a few more bucks. You would think it was all inclusive
    ZAPPER said:

when you buy something at a store for a friend is entirely different from scalping your tickets. Its the principle, and it is tacky. 

Fees this and fees that, its all bullshit, the tickets are expensive enough, then they want to stick you for a few more bucks. You would think it was all inclusive
    The question I have is why would you not cover the fees when buying second hand? We live in a world of Stubhub and other easy to use secondary markets people selling for "face" is very rare these days. I would gladly pay their full ticket price in gratitude of them not trying to make a buck off of me.  
  • ZAPPER said:

I'm not making any money off this deal. My AIC tix cost me $150 on ticketmaster. $125 plus $25 in ticket fees. Your expectation is that I sell to you at $125 and eat the fee? Why? Your alternative is paying the exact same price $150 that I paid. 
  • Expecting the person who bought you the tix to cover the fees.......now thats tacky.
  • ZAPPER said:

TM fees are BS. Scalpers are scum. No question.

The idea that fees aren't part of face value? I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't know anybody who likes eating those when trying to just recoup their costs. 
  • 1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    The problem is one of massive collusion. Promoters, ticket outlets, and sometimes the bands themselves are involved.  Anyone who thinks you have a chance at the best tickets is insane.  How this passes anti trust law scrutiny is beyond me. 

What artists should do is price their tickets at close to market prices.   Would you pay $500 for a first 10 rows seat to a PJ show?  I would. 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
    1upstate said:
    The problem is one of massive collusion. Promoters, ticket outlets, and sometimes the bands themselves are involved.  Anyone who thinks you have a chance at the best tickets is insane.  How this passes anti trust law scrutiny is beyond me. 

What artists should do is price their tickets at close to market prices.   Would you pay $500 for a first 10 rows seat to a PJ show?  I would. 
    I am going through this problem with Elton John right now. They call them Platinum tickets. The price changes as the demand changes. Of course we wait a couple of weeks out to get tickets and they are the only ones available aside from the scalpers. They are actually cheaper and better seats then a lot of them but still a shit ton of money to pay. It is for my mom as a surprise though and I think I will regret not getting her great seats even if she would be happy where ever. 
    ZAPPER said:

TM fees are BS. Scalpers are scum. No question.

The idea that fees aren't part of face value? I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't know anybody who likes eating those when trying to just recoup their costs. 
    Bottom line “face value” is the price printed on the face of the ticket. Its not that hard to understand. You shouldn’t have bought them if you werent planning on going. And since you are unable to make a profit you sell them with fees? Why dont you go ahead and add some fees of your own with it, im sure you can find a way to justify it to yourself.
    Just because TM dicks you with fees, you have to dick someone else after? What is wrong with this world ...

again- face value is what is printed on the face of the ticket. I can go on forever but im done, if im the only one here who thinks this way, then i guess there is something wrong with me and i apologize
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    ZAPPER said:
    are those fees part of “fa ce value”? Nope. Face is the printed price.

Please clearly identify yourself the next time you sell tickets here. Since TM can sometimes add as much as a 30% "convenience fee" to their tix, I'd love to save that by buying from you! 

That said, I'm old and as long as there have been fees on the initial cost of the ticket, "face value" has included those fees. 

But like I said, happy to save those fees by buying from you =)
  • Here's the other issue:
    25,000 seats.
    2500 to fan club.
    10000 to season ticket holders who scalp in order to afford their season tickets.
    XXXX to other presales (certain credit card, passwords that get shared, VIP friends of the band, radio stations etc.)

What is that, maybe 11500 AT BEST to the general public? Of course the bots make things worse, but maybe 35000 people are trying for a fraction of the total capacity...throw the bots into the mix...

When they say "tickets on sale at 10AM" and people assume that's even above 80% of the venue... I'd like to know what that percentage actually is.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • 1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    PJNB said:
    1upstate said:

I am going through this problem with Elton John right now. They call them Platinum tickets. The price changes as the demand changes. Of course we wait a couple of weeks out to get tickets and they are the only ones available aside from the scalpers. They are actually cheaper and better seats then a lot of them but still a shit ton of money to pay. It is for my mom as a surprise though and I think I will regret not getting her great seats even if she would be happy where ever. 
    I have gone to hundreds of shows in my life and I know promoters, musicians and the managers of venues. I only started traveling for shows about 10 years ago. Before that I stuck with upstate NY venues, mainly Saratoga Performing Arts Center where I've been a donor since 2004. 
    There's a huge misconception with ticket sales, face value, and what actually happens when tickets go on sale. 

First of all, the promoter decides what tickets will go on sale and they hold back tickets for numerous reasons.   While I am a SPAC "member"  who donates a pretty penny annually, I am not guaranteed tickets because some bands/ promoters won't allow  any. For instance in 2000 when Pearl Jam last played there member tickets were EXTREMELY limited. like maybe 100 seats... then lawns . A client was a board member and scored me great tickets.  Elton John, Bruce Springsteen and others limited "member" tickets to a great degree.  

Platinum tickets are tickets that they've always held back and are not necessarily great tickets. For instance for DMB this year they sold entire rows of the balcony sections, 3 rows from the back for $300 a ticket. Problem is, people BUY them. If people did not buy, they would sell eventually, for face value.  Too many people must buy the tickets NOW instead of waiting, which drives demand even higher. 

The real problem is they manipulate the supply it exaggerates the demand and in any other business it's illegal.  Sure, the promoter will release "band and guest" tickets that won't get used a day before. More tickets will get released when they set the stage up and can squeeze in a few more. 

It used to be that they would "drop" tickets every few weeks to the show. Now, they drop them to these "platinum" tickets and then, they will release at face. You can't risk waiting too long though because sometimes, you're not going to score. MSG in 2016 comes to mind.  The second show saw so many people in line the day of the show, no tickets went to general public on line. They went to the box office. 

So, the 10 C does pretty well as far as I'm concerned.  At least in the stadium tour this summer. 

I hate the way it works... 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
    1upstate said:
    PJNB said:
    1upstate said:

I have gone to hundreds of shows in my life and I know promoters, musicians and the managers of venues. I only started traveling for shows about 10 years ago. Before that I stuck with upstate NY venues, mainly Saratoga Performing Arts Center where I've been a donor since 2004. 
    There's a huge misconception with ticket sales, face value, and what actually happens when tickets go on sale. 

First of all, the promoter decides what tickets will go on sale and they hold back tickets for numerous reasons.   While I am a SPAC "member"  who donates a pretty penny annually, I am not guaranteed tickets because some bands/ promoters won't allow  any. For instance in 2000 when Pearl Jam last played there member tickets were EXTREMELY limited. like maybe 100 seats... then lawns . A client was a board member and scored me great tickets.  Elton John, Bruce Springsteen and others limited "member" tickets to a great degree.  

Platinum tickets are tickets that they've always held back and are not necessarily great tickets. For instance for DMB this year they sold entire rows of the balcony sections, 3 rows from the back for $300 a ticket. Problem is, people BUY them. If people did not buy, they would sell eventually, for face value.  Too many people must buy the tickets NOW instead of waiting, which drives demand even higher. 

The real problem is they manipulate the supply it exaggerates the demand and in any other business it's illegal.  Sure, the promoter will release "band and guest" tickets that won't get used a day before. More tickets will get released when they set the stage up and can squeeze in a few more. 

It used to be that they would "drop" tickets every few weeks to the show. Now, they drop them to these "platinum" tickets and then, they will release at face. You can't risk waiting too long though because sometimes, you're not going to score. MSG in 2016 comes to mind.  The second show saw so many people in line the day of the show, no tickets went to general public on line. They went to the box office. 

So, the 10 C does pretty well as far as I'm concerned.  At least in the stadium tour this summer. 

I hate the way it works... 
    I get that the platinum tickets may sell any second now or maybe even any day now but there is a possibility that those prices come down? I see front row tickets for Quebec for 1000$. Like half of the front row has not sold. Do these prices fluctuate daily or just solely depend on whether tickets are selling or not. There are only like 30 or so platinum tickets for sale for this show. I take it when a couple sell they just bring out a couple more? Ridiculous way to do things for the fans.