Modest Mouse

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited May 2009 in Other Music
One of my favorite bands. Just something about the music itself and Isaac's voice and the lyrics that really speak to me. Cant wait for the new album, whenever that arrives.

For the more knowledgable fans of the band, I have heard mention of major in-studio fighting between band members, not currently, but in the past. Anyone know about this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    Don't know about any fighting but I love them. :D
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    yeah i've heard they're huge a-holes. they've walked off stage before due to bad "crowds."
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Isaac Brock used to be wasted all the time so maybe that has somethin to do with it.

I really liked the last album and Good News..... and Moon and Antarctica have some stuff I dig, but are more hit and miss, imo.

Lookin forward to some new stuff. They have an ep comin out in August.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    didn't Issac get into with one of the guys then he left but has since come back?

not sure eitehr way Love the band.
    Oh Lonesome Crowded west is in my top 10 albums of the 90's!

I pretty much have enjoyed all they have done.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I believe him and Jeremiah got into it. But yeah Isaac was a heavy drinker back in the day.
    NERDS!
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Love Modest Mouse. The Moon and Antarctica is a tremendous album.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    ps satellite skin is awesome
  • WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 455
    Satelite Skin vid...

www.oldworldmonkey.com
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    Saw MM last year opening for REM in Mansfield and they put on a very good show. My husband was not a MM before this show and I tried to convince him that they were pretty good to no avail. Once he saw them live he changed his mind :)

Although I have heard the stories of MM shows that sucked because Isaac didn't care for the crowd. Fortunately at the show we went to there was a big boobed blonde jumping up in down in the first row throughout their set that I think kept him pretty happy, hence the good show :D
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited September 2018
    Something is not good... 

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/entertainment/music/4501155-modest-mouse-cancels-decc-show-last-minute

https://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/modest-mouse-cancels-la-crosse-show-at-last-minute/article_bdb78fff-fbe3-57e0-88d9-09e6a6b423ee.html

The tour was set to start last night.  Here's the thing.  I get cancellations.  I wouldn't be mad.  Life happens, but apparently they had a show in August they failed to show up for at all.   

If you can't make a tour, cancel it.  Thinking that since no one is saying anything, this is beyond illness of a standard variety.  

The band is saying nothing, just canceling at the last minute or close to it.  

I have tickets for the show on the 29th.  So glad that this is a hometown show.  

Hoping that everyone in the MM family is well, but thinking that not all is well.  Cancel, take care and return another day.  Just don't string fans along.  
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Planned on seeing them Oct. 17 in Columbia. Haven’t bought my ticket yet, maybe I should hold off a little longer 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I would hold. I just don't see this happening.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Oh no, I wonder what's going on??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Supposed to see them next Tuesday 
    No cancellation yet for tonight's show.  I would think that if tonight is canceled, some information will come out from somewhere.  

edited September 2018
    Fort Wayne setlist:
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/modest-mouse/2018/foellinger-theatre-fort-wayne-in-4be9d78e.html

One song longer than Green Bay.  Maybe whatever they were dealing with is back on track.  
    Kalamazoo- Sound was sh*t - setlist ok - didn't play enough old stuff - didn't realize how big  their catalogue is....
    edited September 2018
    Kalamazoo- Sound was sh*t - setlist ok - didn't play enough old stuff - didn't realize how big  their catalogue is....
    Kalamazoo:

I don't see Parlour Tricks on there, but what were you looking for?  Interstate 8 was other nights, if memory serves.  The Fruit That Ate Itself. I'm thinking of more things... 
    My wife wanted Float On - I wanted to hear More from the Moon - and Building Something out of nothing - why do they need 3 drummers?
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    My wife wanted Float On - I wanted to hear More from the Moon - and Building Something out of nothing - why do they need 3 drummers?
    Lol....i'm going to Toledo tonight and want Float On as well....can't believe it's my first time seeing them but timing is everything I guess... got front row so that's an added bonus, we'll see....
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
    I will never get it, but I would love The Stars are Projectors.  
  • Saw them in Toledo last night.  Great show,  two minutes from my house.  Went into it with no expectations.  I don't know their entire catalog but was greatly impressed by the organized chaos on stage.  The Motown style dual drummers and then a percussionist was awesome.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Saw them in Toledo last night.  Great show,  two minutes from my house.  Went into it with no expectations.  I don't know their entire catalog but was greatly impressed by the organized chaos on stage.  The Motown style dual drummers and then a percussionist was awesome.
    The Toledo setlist:

Your review is great to hear! 

Excited for Saturday! :rock_on:

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Awesome - enjoy - I’m headed to see them on Monday.
    edited September 2018

Had a great time last night but I am going to have to agree with Buck, the sound had huge issues. The drums and bass were so loud that it made my hair and nostrils vibrate.  (Weird, I know.)  Call me a weird observer. I had concert earplugs in and my ears are still humming.   

We were listed as no opener, but they added on Termination Dust at the last minute.  I think that was to make up for the cancellation dates.  I need to look them up and give them a listen.  The sound muddled their music.  

MM hit the ground running at 9:15. Other than an encore break (probably 10 minutes or so) they played until 10:55. 

What they played was really great. There were a number of songs that they really added to that was great to hear. Not super slick album versions, but extended runs with a number of instruments not typically heard. I'm really glad that we went.  A week ago, I wasn't certain they would show up.  

Speaking of... Isaac asked, "Does anyone here have an ear infection? I have two.  A double ear infection."  Wow.  Perhaps whatever lead into that is what caused the ear infections.  I really give it to him, because that would be tough to play through.  

I've seen them inside and I have seen them out.  The outside show wins for sound quality but the inside wins for the number of different ways the songs were played. Good stuff either way!  

Sold out crowd.  (2592)
  • deadendp said:

Had a great time last night but I am going to have to agree with Buck, the sound had huge issues. The drums and bass were so loud that it made my hair and nostrils vibrate.  (Weird, I know.)  Call me a weird observer. I had concert earplugs in and my ears are still humming.   

We were listed as no opener, but they added on Termination Dust at the last minute.  I think that was to make up for the cancellation dates.  I need to look them up and give them a listen.  The sound muddled their music.  

MM hit the ground running at 9:15. Other than an encore break (probably 10 minutes or so) they played until 10:55. 

What they played was really great. There were a number of songs that they really added to that was great to hear. Not super slick album versions, but extended runs with a number of instruments not typically heard. I'm really glad that we went.  A week ago, I wasn't certain they would show up.  

Speaking of... Isaac asked, "Does anyone here have an ear infection? I have two.  A double ear infection."  Wow.  Perhaps whatever lead into that is what caused the ear infections.  I really give it to him, because that would be tough to play through.  

I've seen them inside and I have seen them out.  The outside show wins for sound quality but the inside wins for the number of different ways the songs were played. Good stuff either way!  

Sold out crowd.  (2592)

The woman on the left looks so familiar to me. 

I love that venue.  I saw The Black Keys there years ago.  Such a beautiful place.

Glad you had a good time.  They are a bass heavy mix for sure.  I must of been seated in a good spot that absorbed most of it.

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/