Some People's Dogs

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    I am more alert around people than pitbulls.  If you are not than you are an idiot.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Smellyman said:
    I am more alert around people than pitbulls.  If you are not than you are an idiot.
    agreed ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Smellyman said:

I think that one is more equal than you profess.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianlux said:
    Woman gets killed by her pitbull/boxer cross after she tries to save her daughter from its attack.

One neighbour said a pit bull was kept confined in the chain-link dog run most of the time and was intimidating. “I would say it was aggressive,” said the man, who wouldn’t give his name. “It barked all the time.”

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/langdon-woman-killed-by-own-dog-after-child-attacked

Interestingly, in the same article, the strong and just Canadian courts really exercised its muscles in a similar case: In August 2012, Deanna Wolfe, then 26, nearly died when two pit bulls were sicced on her by the canines’ owner, Rita Phillip, in a home in Sundre. Wolfe underwent more than 14 surgeries to repair the damage. Phillip was sentenced to four years in prison for aggravated assault.

Four... whole... years? Holy smokes. She didn't die. I bet if Deanna did die... Rita would have got, like, I bet five years.

I've known one or two pit bulls that seemed friendly enough- especially this one that was very friendly- but you just never know.  And why take a chance?  It's not like there aren't a whole bunch of other choices of dog breads that are friendly and less prone to being dangerous.  I just don't get it.
    Ultimately this is the heart of the issue. There are so many other dogs one could choose as a pet that you don't have to assume such a risk. If you're running a concentration camp... then such breeds are fantastic choices.

I know why a lot of people choose the big, tough, mean looking dog. I wish these people would do legs once in a while at the gym- then they'd be a little more confident.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Woman gets killed by her pitbull/boxer cross after she tries to save her daughter from its attack.

One neighbour said a pit bull was kept confined in the chain-link dog run most of the time and was intimidating. “I would say it was aggressive,” said the man, who wouldn’t give his name. “It barked all the time.”

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/langdon-woman-killed-by-own-dog-after-child-attacked

Interestingly, in the same article, the strong and just Canadian courts really exercised its muscles in a similar case: In August 2012, Deanna Wolfe, then 26, nearly died when two pit bulls were sicced on her by the canines’ owner, Rita Phillip, in a home in Sundre. Wolfe underwent more than 14 surgeries to repair the damage. Phillip was sentenced to four years in prison for aggravated assault.

Four... whole... years? Holy smokes. She didn't die. I bet if Deanna did die... Rita would have got, like, I bet five years.

I've known one or two pit bulls that seemed friendly enough- especially this one that was very friendly- but you just never know.  And why take a chance?  It's not like there aren't a whole bunch of other choices of dog breads that are friendly and less prone to being dangerous.  I just don't get it.
    Ultimately this is the heart of the issue. There are so many other dogs one could choose as a pet that you don't have to assume such a risk. If you're running a concentration camp... then such breeds are fantastic choices.

I know why a lot of people choose the big, tough, mean looking dog. I wish these people would do legs once in a while at the gym- then they'd be a little more confident.
    That's a good point.  I can only assume many of these people either lack confidence, are at least a bit paranoid, or like intimidating other people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018
    brianlux said:

I agree. Yes, sure, pit bulls usually don't suddenly turn on people - their owners,  kids, strangers... but if I'm ever looking for a family dog, I don't think my thinking will go like this: "Well this breed probably won't rip someone's throat out in under a minute for no apparent reason ... I'll take it!"
    Yes, I know many breeds could unpredictably attack, but there aren't very many breeds who can do anywhere near as much damage as pit bulls and similar breeds can, and that makes a huge difference.
    And yes, I've known people with pit bulls and other breeds considered especially dangerous, and every last one of them had such breeds because they thought it was badass on some level... and were not people I trusted to raise these dogs. Those who rescue these dogs are the exception... but even then, I wouldn't trust these dogs to be around children or anything. I feel like these breeds need to be allowed to just dwindle and go away via a breeding ban.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

it's no different than those douchebags who feel the need to drive monster trucks with tires the size of my car and peel out leaving behind a trail of black smoke with ted nugent or nickelback blaring. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pit bull terriers are banned in Winnipeg. they aren't in your areas i take it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianlux said:

it's no different than those douchebags who feel the need to drive monster trucks with tires the size of my car and peel out leaving behind a trail of black smoke with ted nugent or nickelback blaring. 
    lol

You know the type I'm referring to! The dog is typically in the back of the truck.

(and no... pit bulls are not banned in our province)
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    I do think pit bulls have gained an unfair negative reputation.  I don't actually think they are any meaner than most other dogs.  I certainly have seen plenty of examples of very low-key, happy, non-dangerous ones.

That said, I'm a relatively new dog owner (got my first dog at 38) and would never get one.  Why?  Well, neither I nor my wife (also a first-time dog owner) are nailing the behavior training (she's not agressive, just stubborn).  And if you aren't first rate with a pitt bull, their aggression can be much more devistating than that of, say, a lab/basset hound mix (what I have).  Their jaws are unbelievably strong.  If a pitt bull wanted to kill me, it could.  My dog could not.  

Frankly, I don't have the confidence in myself as a pet owner to get a dog like that.  But I do think most are just as good-natured as any other dog.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    I guess Pit Bulls are the neo-nazis of dogs. 

"there's good dogs on both sides". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    I do think pit bulls have gained an unfair negative reputation.  I don't actually think they are any meaner than most other dogs.  I certainly have seen plenty of examples of very low-key, happy, non-dangerous ones.

That said, I'm a relatively new dog owner (got my first dog at 38) and would never get one.  Why?  Well, neither I nor my wife (also a first-time dog owner) are nailing the behavior training (she's not agressive, just stubborn).  And if you aren't first rate with a pitt bull, their aggression can be much more devistating than that of, say, a lab/basset hound mix (what I have).  Their jaws are unbelievably strong.  If a pitt bull wanted to kill me, it could.  My dog could not.  

Frankly, I don't have the confidence in myself as a pet owner to get a dog like that.  But I do think most are just as good-natured as any other dog.
    The main problem with pits is the damage they can do when they lose control, not whether or not they lose control more often than other breeds (although I would argue they do, and I'm not convinced that the whole "it's the owner, not the dog" argument is as relevant as people seem to think it is, unless they have any clever ideas about how to prevent all these shitty people from acquiring pit bulls). That pits do more damage when they lose control is a fact, not an opinion. That's why they are so dangerous when they do lose control, and why they are a more risky breed.
    I also don't think their negative reputation is unfair. I think it's justified, based on number of pit bull attacks that have resulted in serious injury or death.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:

Story of my life- fucking El Dorado County, California.  Those idiots are everywhere up here.  They love to get on my ass when I'm in my wimpy assed prissy Prius and harass the hell out of me.  Oh well- they're usually the one's with the sexual inadequacy hang ups.  Too bad, so sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Why would they be?
    unsung said:
    Why would they be?
    Because they are in many places.
  • unsung said:
    Why would they be?

Kid's faces. Other people's pets. You know... these types of things.

We know you don't give two shits about people's safety when it comes to things like dangerous guns or dangerous dogs, but elsewhere... people do. And because they care, they take measures to safeguard their communities (like banning pit bulls).

That's why.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Dogs and guns are not inherently dangerous.
  • unsung said:
    But their owners are.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:
    That’s ridiculous. Of course dogs are inherently dangerous; canids are predators. 

And I suppose guns aren’t inherently dangerous ... as long as there are no people in the vicinity. Then they are, because they’re designed to be. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    This dog is inherently dangerous:

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    unsung said:
    That’s ridiculous. Of course dogs are inherently dangerous; canids are predators. 

And I suppose guns aren’t inherently dangerous ... as long as there are no people in the vicinity. Then they are, because they’re designed to be. 
    Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people
    unsung said:
    really. my cocker spaniel (RIP), who was normally the happiest, friendliest dog on the planet, when he got hold of a bone out of the garbage, he turned into a fucking monster. 

a friend of mine in grade school was attacked by a german shephard and his face was fucking mangled. unprovoked pit bull attacks are not rare. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    unsung said:
    really. my cocker spaniel (RIP), who was normally the happiest, friendliest dog on the planet, when he got hold of a bone out of the garbage, he turned into a fucking monster. 

a friend of mine in grade school was attacked by a german shephard and his face was fucking mangled. unprovoked pit bull attacks are not rare. 
    I've been attacked by dogs three times in my life, and none of them had horrible owners. Dogs are indeed inherently dangerous. Of course I still love them and obviously don't expect all dogs to attack anyone, but to suggest they aren't inherently dangerous is preposterous. People are afraid of dogs who are wandering down the street off leash or without an owner for a good reason.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Ban pit bulls ... ban kids from public places. lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Dogs are animals and animals are unpredictable. My Brittany spaniel growing up was the nicest dog ever.  One time I got between him and his bone and he let out this growl I had never heard before. I actual saw anger in his eyes. That moment taught me to never trust any animal 100% of the time. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dogs are animals and animals are unpredictable. My Brittany spaniel growing up was the nicest dog ever.  One time I got between him and his bone and he let out this growl I had never heard before. I actual saw anger in his eyes. That moment taught me to never trust any animal 100% of the time. 
    Wow, Brittany Spaniels are so good natured!  
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    100% agree.  Hunted with that dog for 13 years until we had to put him down after he was diagnosed with cancer.  
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    good natured until they're not. 

:wink:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I feel there are many parallels between this debate and the gun control debate.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

YES!!!! lol