The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    some people need to smoke a bowl and take a nap and maybe go for a walk and listen to the birds sing
  • cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    Just think people should be able to get it legally and go home and smoke and relax on a Friday night after a week of work.  

It is better than getting boozed up. 
  • cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    why the fuck would rehab clinics be lobbying to keep weed illegal? who goes to rehab for weed?

I agree, though, that the medicinal properties that people are waking up to with weed are enough to keep big pharma on the offensive and it will be just as difficult at the federal level to get weed legalized as it would to change 2A. 
    Tobacco got weed illegal so they didn't have competition. Rehab lobbying to keep weed illigal keeps people addicted to other addictive drugs equals more people in rehab, more profits. Big pharma same as rehab, more people using legal weed less people using other drugs that make them profits. and legal weed means less people being convicted of drug use and sent to rehab. less profits for greedy companies is a no no in their book. 
    Doesn’t it always go back to these entities and the elitist that control them. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    why the fuck would rehab clinics be lobbying to keep weed illegal? who goes to rehab for weed?

I agree, though, that the medicinal properties that people are waking up to with weed are enough to keep big pharma on the offensive and it will be just as difficult at the federal level to get weed legalized as it would to change 2A. 
    Tobacco got weed illegal so they didn't have competition. Rehab lobbying to keep weed illigal keeps people addicted to other addictive drugs equals more people in rehab, more profits. Big pharma same as rehab, more people using legal weed less people using other drugs that make them profits. and legal weed means less people being convicted of drug use and sent to rehab. less profits for greedy companies is a no no in their book. 
    Doesn’t it always go back to these entities and the elitist that control them. 

Not to mention the people locked up in private prison for cannabis offences ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Air Force is looking into how to handle Elon Musk's pot smoking

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/air-force-is-looking-into-elon-musks-pot-smoking-source.html?recirc=taboolainternal

I wonder if the cannabis issue just gives the Air Force the opportunity to cut ties with the guy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Air Force is looking into how to handle Elon Musk's pot smoking

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/air-force-is-looking-into-elon-musks-pot-smoking-source.html?recirc=taboolainternal

I wonder if the cannabis issue just gives the Air Force the opportunity to cut ties with the guy...
    How ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • happy friday !!
    Ronald Reggae - Jamaican Rhapsody
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHho3_ZRKZ0
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Hey, thanks America!

US border officials are doubling down. Now it seems that not only will they bar Canadians from entering the US if they admit to ever having used cannabis, they will bar people who are working in our soon-to-be legal cannabis industry, including provincial government employees working in this field.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/b-c-cannabis-workers-may-be-barred-from-u-s-1.23434110
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Hey, thanks America!

US border officials are doubling down. Now it seems that not only will they bar Canadians from entering the US if they admit to ever having used cannabis, they will bar people who are working in our soon-to-be legal cannabis industry, including provincial government employees working in this field.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/b-c-cannabis-workers-may-be-barred-from-u-s-1.23434110
    This is such a joke!!! I get its still illegal in a lot of the states. But why such the hard stance on the cannabis industry. Now we are basically forced to lie when crossing the border. Wish they would be harder on the people crossing the border using Herion, meth,coke, etc. 
    Cracks me up about the show Border Crossing on TV. Even is those shows the border patrol agents will always say they don't care what you do and if you smoke weed, just as long as you don't have any on you when crossing. So obviously they will now care apprently 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's really weird how legalization is leading to harsher penalties. $2500 for smoking in a provincial park (in MB)? previously the cops would just confiscate and/or kick you out of the park. 

can't fucking cross the border unless you lie?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    it's really weird how legalization is leading to harsher penalties. $2500 for smoking in a provincial park (in MB)? previously the cops would just confiscate and/or kick you out of the park. 

can't fucking cross the border unless you lie?
    Its getting pretty bad considering its only weed. Lets worry more about those chemical drugs out there. 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Hey, thanks America!

That can't be true.  People on here said that would not happen when I pointed this out months ago.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Where I live it's estimated 6000 Canadians cross into the US daily, many of them young people in the medical field ... some of these folks are going to get 5 year or lifetime bans for answering a question the wrong way.  I have stated that before legalization went through, we should have sought assurances that these folks won't get fucked.  These are people livelihoods.  Legalization could still be happening at the same time.  The government could have started the process in 2015 to ease the concerns of people who work in the USA.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Where I live it's estimated 6000 Canadians cross into the US daily, many of them young people in the medical field ... some of these folks are going to get 5 year or lifetime bans for answering a question the wrong way.  I have stated that before legalization went through, we should have sought assurances that these folks won't get fucked.  These are people livelihoods.  Legalization could still be happening at the same time.  The government could have started the process in 2015 to ease the concerns of people who work in the USA.
    I saw what Trudeau said about this, and I tend to agree. it's not his business to try to influence US border policy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

at the same time, I honestly don't understand why the US government gives a fuck about what we do here legally if we aren't bringing the product across the border. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

But there wouldn't have been assurances that they wouldn't get fucked. So you think Canada should have not gone through with something because the US said so? I don't agree with that.
    In any case, I feel confident that once this whole Trump shit show is over and someone with a brain and a sensible cabinet gets back into office, this won't be much of a concern anymore. Until then, Canadians can choose not to smoke weed, or figure out how to answer questions at the border.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This is yet another reason why  we need to vote out these uptight conservative bullshirt artist mutherfocking republican dipshits.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Just curious.  Did you not have a democrat as POTUS not that long ago ... how come he did not take action to de-criminalize it, or legalize or whatever steps were needed.  In the US legalized cannabis is not an issue that either party federally seem interested in legalizing

Give Peas A Chance…
    It is just strange to me that the current administration seems to have no clue how important Canadians are to the economies along the US-Canada border. People were already boycotting the US by not crossing the border for vacation and to shop, and this whole weed thing is just going to make that way worse. So many Americans near the border largely depend on Canadian dollars for their livelihoods, and Trump and Sessions, et al clearly don't give a flying fuck.
    But anyway, I have to go to the states in the couple weeks for work, but after that, I really don't intend to go back until this shit show is over.
    Just curious.  Did you not have a democrat as POTUS not that long ago ... how come he did not take action to de-criminalize it, or legalize or whatever steps were needed.  In the US legalized cannabis is not an issue that either party federally seem interested in legalizing

I think healthcare was a bigger issue than potcare for him. and many argue that it should be a state issue, not federal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018

I think healthcare was a bigger issue than potcare for him. and many argue that it should be a state issue, not federal. 
    I think it does need to be federally legalized, and these border issues are a good example as to why. The other reason is because it's fucking stupid to have some states legal and other states not.
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it does need to be federally legalized, and these border issues are a good example as to why. The other reason is because it's fucking stupid to have some states legal and other states not.
    I agree, but in the states, so many people bitch and moan about it being a constitutional republic, meaning they want the state they live in to make the choices for that state, not the feds. democrats get creamed constantly for overstepping their bounds with regards to state's rights, and he probably didn't think it was worth it politically, and he wouldn't have been able to get it done in his lame-duck phase. 

and I just don't think it was a major political issue for him either way. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    Obama couldn't get much of anything done for a good portion of his tenure, so I agree that just wasn't happening under his watch thanks to the Republicans.
    I know there are a lot of states rights people down there, but in some cases, that just doesn't seem to be a reasonable option at all, and this is one of those cases. Anything that relates to international borders and trade, etc, simply has to be federal, and that would be the case with weed. Surely the vast majority of Americans know that EVERYTHING can't fall under states rights, even when they generally support that theory.
    Anyway, it will happen eventually. There is no way weed won't be legal in the US at some point. Not when more states are legalizing and Canada has legalized. It just makes no sense on a social or economic level. They'll find the light eventually.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    Obama couldn't get much of anything done for a good portion of his tenure, so I agree that just wasn't happening under his watch thanks to the Republicans.
    I know there are a lot of states rights people down there, but in some cases, that just doesn't seem to be a reasonable option at all, and this is one of those cases. Anything that relates to international borders and trade, etc, simply has to be federal, and that would be the case with weed. Surely the vast majority of Americans know that EVERYTHING can't fall under states rights, even when they generally support that theory.
    Anyway, it will happen eventually. There is no way weed won't be legal in the US at some point. Not when more states are legalizing and Canada has legalized. It just makes no sense on a social or economic level. They'll find the light eventually.
    therein lies a big portion of the problem. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Obama could have had his AG remove marijuana from its Schedule 1 classification. He didn't need congress. But he didn't care enough about the issue, and I consider that one of his failings. Granted, many great accomplishments, but this wasn't a bright spot for me. We had an opportunity, with a president from a newer generation who admitted to smoking weed, during a time where states were legalizing medical use, and beginning to legalize recreational use, and there was public support for legalization. He screwed up a great opportunity. Now we have a 5' 3", slow-talking, anti-weed hillbilly as the AG and a slow-thinking clown as President and a congress led by morons. So federal declassification of weed will have to wait until we enter a more enlightened period.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited September 2018
    jeffbr said:
    Obama could have had his AG remove marijuana from its Schedule 1 classification. He didn't need congress. But he didn't care enough about the issue, and I consider that one of his failings. Granted, many great accomplishments, but this wasn't a bright spot for me. We had an opportunity, with a president from a newer generation who admitted to smoking weed, during a time where states were legalizing medical use, and beginning to legalize recreational use, and there was public support for legalization. He screwed up a great opportunity. Now we have a 5' 3", slow-talking, anti-weed hillbilly as the AG and a slow-thinking clown as President and a congress led by morons. So federal declassification of weed will have to wait until we enter a more enlightened period.
    Yes, if it was as easy as you make it sound, then that was a mistake. I have trouble believing it would have been that easy though... so what, he could have got his AG to just sign something, and done?? If so, then yeah, wtf? Surely there was something relevant stopping that from happening.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    It's all about the money from lobbyist.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    Yes, if it was as easy as you make it sound, then that was a mistake. I have trouble believing it would have been that easy though... so what, he could have got his AG to just sign something, and done?? If so, then yeah, wtf? Surely there was something relevant stopping that from happening.
    Yup. The most direct way would be for Congress to do it, which is what Obama suggested should happen. But there is also an administrative way for the executive branch to do so as well.

How to reschedule marijuana, and why it’s unlikely anytime soon

and apparently the HHS Secretary can unilaterally do it, which I didn't know:

Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    Yup. The most direct way would be for Congress to do it, which is what Obama suggested should happen. But there is also an administrative way for the executive branch to do so as well.

How to reschedule marijuana, and why it’s unlikely anytime soon

and apparently the HHS Secretary can unilaterally do it, which I didn't know:

Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act

I guess Obama wanted to do it "democratically" (haha) or not at all?