Options

Alan Vega + Martin Rev + Suicide

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
Shortly after Alan Vega died recently I read about him and Martin Rev who called themselves the band, Suicide. How could I have missed these guys all these years? I ask that question every time I hear "Ghost Rider" or "Cheree". And I'm hearing them a lot these days and am looking forward to more... soon! I am completely blown away every time I play their first/self-titled album.

Would love to hear anything any fans here know about, have experienced, thought about, been influenced by, had your head blown by, seen, heard or grooved with this amazing band/ and/or solo work by these two amazing guys.

Cool.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Suicide/Vega/Rev fans, check out this great new book about these guys. A fantastic read!

• Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Amazing band!  “Suicide” the album is a masterpiece.  Easily one of the greatest albums of all time. Its one of those albums the should be listened to cover to cover. Springsteen does a solid cover of “Dream Baby Dream.”
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    BikePHL said:
    Amazing band!  “Suicide” the album is a masterpiece.  Easily one of the greatest albums of all time. Its one of those albums the should be listened to cover to cover. Springsteen does a solid cover of “Dream Baby Dream.”
    Totally agree, BikePHL.  About 3 years ago or so I'd read about Suicide in on of Henry Rollins books and figured it was time to check them out.  Got the first self title record and the first time I gave it a spin I was totally blown away.  An amazing record!

• Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    brianlux said:
    BikePHL said:
    Totally agree, BikePHL.  About 3 years ago or so I'd read about Suicide in on of Henry Rollins books and figured it was time to check them out.  Got the first self title record and the first time I gave it a spin I was totally blown away.  An amazing record!
    That’s an awesome way to find out about them!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 687
    edited September 2018
    I first heard about them through the Rollins cover on the Crow soundtrack.  Definitely an underrated band.
  • Options
    I don't have any Alan Vega's solo work.  Any suggestions/ favorites?