A quarter of the u.k living in poverty

The facts are a quarter are living in poverty.  
The whole country is in a mess. What is the solution ? 
It's been nose diving over the last few years but it's in turmoil and with Brexit still a real thing . We are fucked
brixton 93
astoria 06
albany 06
hartford 06
reading 06
barcelona 06
paris 06
wembley 07
dusseldorf 07
nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

Comments

• I understand  some here hate the u.k so no need for YOU to comment . But how does this mess get sorted. Seems to late
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • On the news they say immigrants  are doing the jobs that UK nationals wont do. That s got to be a place to start . People need to toughen up and do any job possible to pay the rent. I think because  we have a benefit system and NHS it's too easy for people  to not work and still survive 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    How do they come up with 25% living in poverty?  What are the root causes?  Housing and cost of living just not just keep up wage growth.  However, this is far from a UK problem.  Where I live it's estimated 1/2 of the children live in poverty and go to school hungry.

If there is a solution it is worth exploring.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Yes . Our rent for a 2 bed flat is £920 ! Month utterly  ridiculous.  My ex wife works full time and can't afford her rent . My son contributes but they want him to pay the majority of the rent. He is 19. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Yes . Our rent for a 2 bed flat is £920 ! Month utterly  ridiculous.  My ex wife works full time and can't afford her rent . My son contributes but they want him to pay the majority of the rent. He is 19. 
    That's the same problem here.  I was recently in the market, rent for a 1 runs $900-$1100 ... and they are not much to look at.  How is a 19 expected to pay that?  I just read in our local paper that stated app 4000 families are at risk of being homeless in my area.  I do not care what country you are in, we should have people homeless...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • My son already has to pay £2000 a year for car insurance . His car is worth £250. Utterly not possible on minimum wage of £7an hour
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

My son already has to pay £2000 a year for car insurance . His car is worth £250. Utterly not possible on minimum wage of £7an hour
    I did not realize the minimum wage was only 7.  Here, in Ontario Canada, it is 14/hour and people still struggle.  Has the UK lost a large portion of their manufacturing?  I thought insurance was expensive here.  But then again, I do not know what young people here pay.  I'm 52, so age is an obvious benefit when buying insurance.  People I know, say their children pay anywhere from 50-60% a month of their income in rent.  That leaves not much left to live off...Has your son ever considered moving to Canada on a temporary foreign work visa, they do exist?

And in case you are wondering, he would not be limited to farm labor...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Maybe you folks need another Johnny Rotten to shake things up.  Sad to hear that, in any case.  25% poverty is horrible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Yes . Our rent for a 2 bed flat is £920 ! Month utterly  ridiculous.  My ex wife works full time and can't afford her rent . My son contributes but they want him to pay the majority of the rent. He is 19. 
    Is that in the city bud?  I wish my mortgage was that low!  I pay around 1900 pounds ($2500 usd) for my house.  Many two bedroom units in my area are in the neighborhood of $1700 usd a month (approx 1300 pounds).
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    First world poverty.

An important distinction.  First world poverty almost always includes shelter and food every day.  Some people may be a bit hungry at times, but the number of people in first world countries that go a single day without food is astronomically low.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018
    That's it? Average rent for a 2 bedroom is WAY more than that where I live, and the average wages are lower too (although the minimum wage is higher by at least a couple bucks - wtf, why aren't people rioting for higher minimum wages in the UK? That seems weirdly low). I see you're annoyed that people aren't responding, and I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I'm focused on an even worse problem right here at home.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    And I agree, 25% is horrible. 
    I have 3 bedroom 2 bath, full basement on 5 acres with a 6 car barn and free natural gas...
    $650 
    £500

We shouldn't expect the most coveted places to live to be affordable as well, that's a mindset we have to leave behind.  It isn't the 50's anymore.
    rgambs said:
    I have 3 bedroom 2 bath, full basement on 5 acres with a 6 car barn and free natural gas...
    $650 
    £500

We shouldn't expect the most coveted places to live to be affordable as well, that's a mindset we have to leave behind.  It isn't the 50's anymore.
    5 acres....that s my dream. Do you back up to green acres or do you have neighbors?  That s an unreal price!  Where in Ohio are you?
    edited September 2018
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    Yeah, of course coveted places won't be as affordable, BUT they need to be somewhat affordable - like enough for people not to leave in an exodus - because if the costs exceed the wages of even doctors, teachers, other professionals, let alone all the service and trade labour and whatnot needed to keep a city running, the city will ultimately collapse. A city without workers ain't going to fly. My city is now at the point where businesses are having to close or only open a few days a week simply because they can't find enough workers to staff the place, because they can't or won't pay workers enough to live where their business is. That's a problem that HAS to be dealt with if a city wants to survive long term IMO. Either prices need to be controlled better, or salaries need to go up in unison with the rising cost of living. Neither one of those things are happening, and that's why there is a crisis. It's all completely unsustainable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Near a tiny "town" (a cluster of about 15 houses and a church) called Leavittsville, Ohio.  Near Leesville Lake and the "town" of Sherrodsville.  Grew up in Uhrichsville.
    Big on villes around here lol

I have a neighbor right across the road, one on each side about a half mile through the woods, and a wildlife preserve in back.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    Yeah, of course coveted places won't be as affordable, BUT they need to be somewhat affordable - like enough for people not to leave in an exodus - because if the costs exceed the wages of even doctors, teachers, other professionals, let alone all the service and trade labour and whatnot needed to keep a city running, the city will ultimately collapse. A city without workers ain't going to fly. My city is now at the point where businesses are having to close or only open a few days a week simply because they can't find enough workers to staff the place, because they can't or won't pay workers enough to live where their business is. That's a problem that HAS to be dealt with if a city wants to survive long term IMO. Either prices need to be controlled better, or salaries need to go up in unison with the rising cost of living. Neither one of those things are happening, and that's why there is a crisis. It's all completely unsustainable.
    Allie do you live right in Vancouver?
    Gambs, I am so jealous of that property.  Good for you!
    edited September 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    I live about an 8 minute Skytrain ride from the actual border of Vancouver proper, but the problem has spread out to all of metro Vancouver now as well (obviously the closer you are to that border, the more expensive it gets, i.e. the average price of a detached home in my own neighborhood is up to $1.5 million, and the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is about $1350 - $1500+). It's not AS crazy as Vancouver proper of course, but definitely still bad enough to be unsustainable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    I get what you are saying, I'm just in a pessimistic phase and I can't find myself caring about much stuff like this lol
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    I get what you are saying, I'm just in a pessimistic phase and I can't find myself caring about much stuff like this lol
    Well I don't really expect anyone who isn't experiencing it personally to give much of a fuck, lol.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    Seems odd to bag on people’s work ethic in one sentence, then post this. Sounds more like a problem with the cost of housing than attitude. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $650 
    £500

Holy fuck that's cheap!
    I live about an 8 minute Skytrain ride from the actual border of Vancouver proper, but the problem has spread out to all of metro Vancouver now as well (obviously the closer you are to that border, the more expensive it gets, i.e. the average price of a detached home in my own neighborhood is up to $1.5 million, and the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is about $1350 - $1500+). It's not AS crazy as Vancouver proper of course, but definitely still bad enough to be unsustainable.
    Wow that is crazy expensive.  Reminds of the suburbs just outside of nyc. 
    I'll be moving from a 3 bedroom townhome, 2/12 baths, 3 levels garage ... mortgage 600/month.  Using the equity from here to move to a new home $400/month 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Wise move
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07