2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2018

Seven US stadium shows over three years, zero albums in six,  is basically a retired band.
    i remember waiting 10 years for new peter gabriel. the time between us and up
    at no point did i think he was retired but um ya i get it LOL
  • nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
    Brisk. said:
    Of the more ridiculous rumors I've heard is Japan next year

Why else is there WORLD TOUR written in Japanese on the hoodie..
    You'd think right however I doubt it
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    mwplum said:
    ^^^no offence to TPAR above, but I hate reading posts like that. Don't give them any ideas. As long as they still enjoy it, mix up the setlists every night, and bring much positive energy to so many people around the world...they should be rocking well into their 70's!
    I totally get ya...however, I'm 45yo and the older I get the more time I wanna take enjoying life with my family and see me kids grow up. If I was a millionaire rock star in the RNR HOF, made 10 fantastic albums, married a supermodel and toured the world countless times - I think I'd probably call it a day in my 50's. PJ owes us nothing more and we're lucky to have gotten this much. Whatever we get from 2019 forward is a gift from the band. I love the Rolling Stones, but to me "rocking well into their 70's" is not necessary. 
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited September 2018
    thispureamericanriot said: I love the Rolling Stones, but to me "rocking well into their 70's" is not necessary. 
    I was with you until the very last sentence.  
    Post edited by Milestone on
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    Does anyone remember when the Australia tour was usually announced in the past? 
    Last Euro tours were June-July and were announced in the beginning od December so 6-7 months upfront

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    edited September 2018
    radar said:
    Last Euro tours were June-July and were announced in the beginning od December so 6-7 months upfront

2009 and 2014 was late July/early August- 
    Post edited by Indifference on

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• radarradar Posts: 767
    radar said:

Thank you
    so winter tour (Jan - Feb) seems unlikely?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Seven US stadium shows over three years, zero albums in six,  is basically a retired band.
    i remember waiting 10 years for new peter gabriel. the time between us and up
    at no point did i think he was retired but um ya i get it LOL

I meant to say semi retired ,;-)

I unfortunately  missed the sting gabriel tour so I'm having withdrawal pangs hoping Gabriel tours again!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mwplum said:
    ^^^no offence to TPAR above, but I hate reading posts like that. Don't give them any ideas. As long as they still enjoy it, mix up the setlists every night, and bring much positive energy to so many people around the world...they should be rocking well into their 70's!
    I totally get ya...however, I'm 45yo and the older I get the more time I wanna take enjoying life with my family and see me kids grow up. If I was a millionaire rock star in the RNR HOF, made 10 fantastic albums, married a supermodel and toured the world countless times - I think I'd probably call it a day in my 50's. PJ owes us nothing more and we're lucky to have gotten this much. Whatever we get from 2019 forward is a gift from the band. I love the Rolling Stones, but to me "rocking well into their 70's" is not necessary. 

So many talented musicians make almost no money releasing great music and PJ in addition to being tremendous songwriters was at the right place at the right time

The result was an enormously loyal fanbase providing wealth and security beyond their wildest dreams

While I somewhat agree musicians owe me nothing I always find that comment with respect to PJ curious.
    edited September 2018
    I'll be first in line for tickets, buying albums, merch, etc. However, PJ is on the tail-end of a magical 30 year career. I don't think anyone is gonna dispute the glory days of the 90's/early 00's are over?

Whatever PJ does from now on is icing on the cake. The band is awesome and one for the ages (as good as Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin etc). We are the "superfans" here on 10C, and many (my myself included) have strong opinions of what this band might do in the future. I'm just trying to put their marvelous career in perceptive. I can only guess PJ wants to enjoy their twilight years as they draw closer...hopefully that includes some new music and more tours? If not, I'm all right with that too. Cheers!

Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I'll be first in line for tickets, buying albums, merch, etc. However, PJ is on the tail-end of a magical 30 year career. I don't think anyone is gonna dispute the glory days of the 90's/early 00's are over?

Whatever PJ does from now on is icing on the cake. The band is awesome and one for the ages (as good as Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin etc). We are the "superfans" here on 10C, and many (my myself included) have strong opinions of what this band might do in the future. I'm just trying to put their marvelous career in perceptive. I can only guess PJ wants to enjoy their twilight years as they draw closer...hopefully that includes some new music and more tours? If not, I'm all right with that too. Cheers!

I definitely agree.    I had the same epiphany at Wrigley '16 when they slayed my white whale.   I haven't seen all of their songs but I've seen the bulk of them.   I've seen my biggest favourites and most of my other favourites.     After that show I felt good.   At Seattle this year it felt like icing on the cake.   I also think how lucky are most of us that our favourite band since our teens is the one they kept going.   Kept touring and putting albums through my teens, 20's, 30's....  it's been amazing.   In the not so immortal words of the knight from Last Crusade, "you chose wisely" :)

Hopefully they have more time in them.   They've always felt to me like they'd go the distance (like u2, the stones, metallica, etc...).    I envision seeing them 20 years from now, and maybe we get an acoustic tour, if Ed gets too old to do those 12ft leaps on stage :)
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    STOP TALKING ABOUT PJ WRAPPING IT UP!!!

Music inspires them and is their passion. They enjoy playing with each other and for us. They can work as little or as much as they want. This isn’t a soul sucking desk job they would be theoretically walking away from, this is their hobby, past time, inspiration, and passion. You don’t just put the guitar down one day and never pick it up again. That’s at least how I understand it.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    I look forward to a kick in the balls album form these guys in 2019. 
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346

Music inspires them and is their passion. They enjoy playing with each other and for us. They can work as little or as much as they want. This isn’t a soul sucking desk job they would be theoretically walking away from, this is their hobby, past time, inspiration, and passion. You don’t just put the guitar down one day and never pick it up again. That’s at least how I understand it.
    Word.  While this talk is more warranted now than ever, it seems to come up every couple of years since 2000.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    ed said, "next time we play again" not "if we play again"  They are going to the studio, he said so himself. What else do they need to say?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Agree and as much as we want longer tours with more shows the smaller tours helps them keep their passion.  if they did 100 shows in a year again they would probably burn out and be fuck this shit.  Smaller tours gives them the best of all their worlds. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    radar said:
    radar said:

Thank you
    so winter tour (Jan - Feb) seems unlikely?
    its summer in australia jan-feb and nothing is booked
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    My guess is Jan 2020 for Australia after the new album is dropped. Full NA tour next year with no other continents until 2020. The thing that is throwing me off on if we even have shows in 2019 though is the fact that Eddie does not tour in the fall anymore so the album is either further along then we think or we are not getting shit in 2019 as we did in 2017. Sadly I think this thread is going to be speculation for awhile now. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    after the end of every tour you get the "I hope they aren't breaking up!" hysteria. always good for a chuckle. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    I know you need to take what Ed says at the end of each show with a grain of salt but he was always talking about what's next, so fears about splitting up are unfounded. He did talk about returning to Europe in 2020, so that's my best guess for this continent.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • renelesur said:
    If this happens, they must play Dallas.  They've only played here once in 15 years.
    Please GOD, Dallas or anywhere in TEXAS!
    California could use some love too!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    after the end of every tour you get the "I hope they aren't breaking up!" hysteria. always good for a chuckle. 
    Definitely.   I might have referred to shows I get to see now as Icing on the cake, but I don't expect PJ to pack it in anytime soon.   They beat the sound of their own drum.  I predict they'll be around for along while yet.   When they feel like taking a break they'll take a break.  When they feel like making an album, they'll make an album.  When they feel like tour'ing they'll go out on tour.    And like always they keep most of this info to themselves, so we'll speculate on it for decades to come :)
  • VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    As its a no real rumours thread yet so pure speculation, my gut feeling based on PJ being on the festival organisers wish list is that we'll see them at Download festival in the UK next summer.
    There was a vote put out by the organisers about 3 months back to see who they should be bringing in, PJ were among the few bands that they had listed for headlining, and Andy Copping has had them signed before but then it was pulled. If it happens I can also see Ed playing Glastonbury.
    Praying and hoping :)
    Just my thoughts.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
    I don't think the band will ever break up officially, unless a band member passes away. they may have extended periods of inactivity, but they will always be a band. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    rivren said:
    renelesur said:
    If this happens, they must play Dallas.  They've only played here once in 15 years.
    Please GOD, Dallas or anywhere in TEXAS!
    yes. ComeToTX
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Zod said:
    Definitely.   I might have referred to shows I get to see now as Icing on the cake, but I don't expect PJ to pack it in anytime soon.   They beat the sound of their own drum.  I predict they'll be around for along while yet.   When they feel like taking a break they'll take a break.  When they feel like making an album, they'll make an album.  When they feel like tour'ing they'll go out on tour.    And like always they keep most of this info to themselves, so we'll speculate on it for decades to come :)

I think it’s more like:
    When Ed feels like recording
    when Ed feels like touring
    when Ed feels like taking a break
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Milestone said:
    Zod said:

I think it’s more like:
    I see it differently. I think Ed will be touring long after PJ ends. When PJ doesn't tour, Ed does the solo gig. Ive heard it's Jeff who isn't fond of the long tours
    Milestone said:
    Zod said:

I think it’s more like:
    I see it differently. I think Ed will be touring long after PJ ends. When PJ doesn't tour, Ed does the solo gig. Ive heard it's Jeff who isn't fond of the long tours
    yes, he said it in an interview. he tours only to support his side interests so he doesn't have to reach into his own pockets for that stuff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Milestone said:
    Zod said:

I think it’s more like:
    It's this way with most bands. If the singer isn't into it....the tour ain't happening.  Just ask Jimmy Page.