'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Klausen Seattle arrived damaged :( - hate to say it because of poor packaging 
    Mine arrived today safely but I can see how they’re getting damaged. The tube isn’t the problem, it’s that he isn’t rolling smaller than the width of the tube and taping the paper to make it more like a “paper tube” inside the tube. When the print is rolled and then put in the tube and allowed to expand so the paper is flush with the tube walls, it allows the print to get loose and slide around. That’s where edge and corner damage can unintentionally come from. Mine was fine but it definitely moved around a bunch. 
    This
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    bbiggs said:
    KS80184 said:
    Mine arrived today safely but I can see how they’re getting damaged. The tube isn’t the problem, it’s that he isn’t rolling smaller than the width of the tube and taping the paper to make it more like a “paper tube” inside the tube. When the print is rolled and then put in the tube and allowed to expand so the paper is flush with the tube walls, it allows the print to get loose and slide around. That’s where edge and corner damage can unintentionally come from. Mine was fine but it definitely moved around a bunch. 
    Exactly.  Gotta get the posters to expand out so that they stay up against the wall vs. sliding near the ends of the tubes.  The tube within the tube is worse when they use the flimsy craft paper that won't hold up to any sort of movement against the ends (I tend to use a 3m paper that's more like the consistency of a paper grocery bag when I ship trades).
    I think Mickey Mouse was saying the opposite. You do want the print rolled tighter than the diameter of the tube to avoid the sliding around (if it expands to the tube width) and potentially damaging the print if the tube gets dented. As long as the paper around the poster is longer, there is a “buffer” if it shifts from end to end in the tube so that the edges of the print remain untouched. 
    Correct. That’s always been my philosophy and how I expect prints to ship and how I ship them as well.  Gotta leave a buffer.  Some will argue against this but I respectfully disagree. 
    I never thought to ship that way until I received a poster from Emek like that. Now it’s the only way I ship. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    KS80184 said:
    Exactly.  Gotta get the posters to expand out so that they stay up against the wall vs. sliding near the ends of the tubes.  The tube within the tube is worse when they use the flimsy craft paper that won't hold up to any sort of movement against the ends (I tend to use a 3m paper that's more like the consistency of a paper grocery bag when I ship trades).
    I think Mickey Mouse was saying the opposite. You do want the print rolled tighter than the diameter of the tube to avoid the sliding around (if it expands to the tube width) and potentially damaging the print if the tube gets dented. As long as the paper around the poster is longer, there is a “buffer” if it shifts from end to end in the tube so that the edges of the print remain untouched. 
    Correct. That’s always been my philosophy and how I expect prints to ship and how I ship them as well.  Gotta leave a buffer.  Some will argue against this but I respectfully disagree. 
    I agree with you. 
  • fanofzsfanofzs NYC Posts: 507
    edited September 2018
    This
    Another benefit of "rolling smaller with tape" is if the tube gets dented in transit, there is some buffer for the poster to not get dented.  If the poster is stuck along the inside diameter of the tube, your poster suffers.
    Post edited by fanofzs on
  • fanofzs said:
    This
    Another benefit of "rolling smaller with tape" is if the tube gets dented in transit, there is some buffer for the poster to not get dented.  If the poster is stuck along the inside diameter of the tube, your poster suffers.
    This is literally what happened with the Williams variant today when it arrived. Tube was very dented but he rolled it smaller and avoided damage. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    100 Pacer said:
    bbiggs said:
    KS80184 said:
    I never thought to ship that way until I received a poster from Emek like that. Now it’s the only way I ship. 
    I bought antique posters when I was in Boston and they rolled it the way described above.  I thought it was very unusual, but I guess it's the most professional way.
    fanofzs said:
    This
    This is literally what happened with the Williams variant today when it arrived. Tube was very dented but he rolled it smaller and avoided damage. 
    Must have been some very careless handling by USPS to have a dented tube. Very unfortunate but glad you didn’t have any damage to the print. 
  • bbiggs said:
    fanofzs said:
    This
    Must have been some very careless handling by USPS to have a dented tube. Very unfortunate but glad you didn’t have any damage to the print. 
    It was a combination of that and the fact that Ian used super thin U-Line tubes which I crush by just squeezing. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited September 2018
    bbiggs said:
    fanofzs said:
    This
    Had this happen twice to me. Like they were  playing baseball with the tube. Im
    still heart broken. I scored that Ames poster that looks like the clash album from a great fan here and msg 2010 Soto  from another awesome fan. Both way under market and both were horribly damaged by the USPS. Two irreplaceable pieces of art wasted by a careless piece of shit. Sorry. All this talk opened those sore wounds and I had to vent. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • nicknyr15 said:
    still heart broken. I scored that Ames poster that looks like the clash album from a great fan here and msg 2010 Soto  from another awesome fan. Both way under market and both were horribly damaged by the USPS. Two irreplaceable pieces of art wasted by a careless piece of shit. Sorry. All this talk opened those sore wounds and I had to vent. 
    Had a crushed tube damage a Kong a few years ago.  Broke my heart!  It wasn't awful damage, but it was right in the middle of the poster.  Poster Karma smiled on me though, and I landed an AP Kong about a week later outta nowhere.  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:
    fanofzs said:
    This
    Still ISO of those 2 btw haha
    tubes10s said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Had a crushed tube damage a Kong a few years ago.  Broke my heart!  It wasn't awful damage, but it was right in the middle of the poster.  Poster Karma smiled on me though, and I landed an AP Kong about a week later outta nowhere.  
    Nice! 
  • KS80184KS80184 Posts: 385
    bbiggs said:
    KS80184 said:
    You're right- I misunderstood MM's post.  Still think I'd rather take my chances against the tube wall than letting the poster slide all over and bang up against the ends of the tube in shipping.  The only times I've had issues is when the poster was sliding all over inside and the craft paper wasn't enough of a barrier to the movement.  Those tubes are pretty sturdy and if the tube is damaged you at least might have a claim with the post office.
  • DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    I was shipped a poster the other day. The poster was wrapped in paper and taped so it did not hit the sides of the tube.  It was then wrapped in bubble wrap before going in the tube to provide the cushion from the sliding back and forth and even from a dent to the tube.  The packaging was incredibly meticulous and the print came through flawlessly. Never seen the bubble wrap used before.  
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Scored an Whalen AP from my phone and through Paypal. Delighted. 4 out 5 APs for Boston. Just need a Williams to complete.
    Kearnsy
    DE483 said:
    I was shipped a poster the other day. The poster was wrapped in paper and taped so it did not hit the sides of the tube.  It was then wrapped in bubble wrap before going in the tube to provide the cushion from the sliding back and forth and even from a dent to the tube.  The packaging was incredibly meticulous and the print came through flawlessly. Never seen the bubble wrap used before.  
    I think all posters should be shipped this way. Definitely cannot hurt. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    I was in Boston with my brother and 2 of our friends for 4 days for the shows. Every time we tried for merch, either 4 hour waits, or no line no posters, so we got some shirts and stuff. We spent our time in the AirBNB pool, the Sam Adams Brewery tour, and seeing the rest of the city.

I was able to go 5/5 on the AP drops.
    My brother got all 5 in 1 eBay sale for $300.

NICE!

We did citizens united in NYC in 2015, lines all day, no posters. Very happy how this one worked out.

• PJ-Cubs said:
    If anyone missed out on the Whalen AP or variant.  I should have an extra show edition available.
    PM’d
  • Klausen Seattle arrived damaged :( - hate to say it because of poor packaging 
    I packed these posters the same as I have been packing posters for years now. I have never taped the paper inside the tube to the tube. I have received a few emails about seattle posters arriving damaged, I think it is just the paper of the poster, it slides more inside the tube even if you allow the newsprint to unroll in the tube and kinda lock it in place. The poster inside the newsprint still moves unfortunately. 

But I packed these posters the same as I have packed up every poster since I started doing this. If your poster arrives damaged, email me at info@artillerydesign.com... i usually keep aside a few specifically to replace damaged posters but it is possible there may not be enough if say more then 5 people get posters that arrived damaged... if that happens all I can offer is some sort of partial refund, unless the poster is just destroyed beyond recognition... if it will frame out and you plan on framing it, that is another story. 

all good to know though  before shipping boston, I will double check those when I pack them.... like I said though, nothing has changed in how I packed seattle to how I packed every poster over say the last 14 years. Using different paper to print on, like the kraft paper or black paper, that is usually when things get more damaged in transit. 

• i usually expect a few posters to get damages in transit, hence holding a few aside for replacements... but normally I only ship 200 posters at the most at one time... these stadium shows we are all shipping 400 tubes, so makes sense there might be twice as much damage then normal... so instead of 2 or 3 or 4 posters arriving damaged you might get 4 or 6 or 8 

it happens... postal workers do not care for our beloved hobby as much as we all do... or for any hobbies that require handling fragile shipments for that matter... just another piece of mail that they need to get out of their offices because more are always coming... every post office I have lived near, they hate me when I show up... especially when I show up with 200+ tubes... was gonna drop off all of seattle in one day but my lil nissan pick up can only hold about 200 and upon dropping off the first batch and seeing how many it was in their hampers... figured I would give them a day... dropping more off this weekend too... and then more of boston most likely next week... a september to remember for the local post office! 

• DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    Hey Brad, would it be any better or at all cost effective to use something like UPS or FedEx.  I’m sure eventually a tube here or there gets abused either way. But maybe they can handle the volume better and give your stuff a little more respect. 
  • DE483 said:
    Hey Brad, would it be any better or at all cost effective to use something like UPS or FedEx.  I’m sure eventually a tube here or there gets abused either way. But maybe they can handle the volume better and give your stuff a little more respect. 
    Maybe... i do not know though... the USPS does a good job with the volume, I think a lot of damage happens once the tubes are in transit, I have seen photos people have sent of the end of one of the tubes just crushed and smashed, so of I had to wager, I think the damage happens in moving them out of the PO and onto whatever mode of transport they get put on be in plane or truck or both and how they get stored on their journey to other states and countries... and UPS and Fedex all have to do that too... so I do not have a problem with USPS, it is most likely just a problem with people working low wage jobs that are most likely not fulfilling and they just do not care about all the things we all purchase online that need to be shipped. 
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 347
    No, don’t use UPS.  UPS deals in all types of packages from small to large and heavy, so the chance of something smashing your tube is more likely. At least the post office mostly deals with small and light packages. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,322
    KW6232 said:
    No, don’t use UPS.  UPS deals in all types of packages from small to large and heavy, so the chance of something smashing your tube is more likely. At least the post office mostly deals with small and light packages. 
    That & international deliveries by UPS & FedEx ALWAYS hits you on customs fees. Always! Their fees are insane!

When shipped with USPS into Canada, it's delivered by Canada Post. Rarely do we get hit with charges. Plus I love Canada Post's service.

Someday 10club will go back to USPS for Canadian shipped Pearl Jam goodies from the warehouse. Someday ...
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    demetrios said:
    KW6232 said:
    That & international deliveries by UPS & FedEx ALWAYS hits you on customs fees. Always! Their fees are insane!

When shipped with USPS into Canada, it's delivered by Canada Post. Rarely do we get hit with charges. Plus I love Canada Post's service.

Someday 10club will go back to USPS for Canadian shipped Pearl Jam goodies from the warehouse. Someday ...
    Regardless of which service is used none have control over customs. It’s in FedEx and UPS’ interest to declare each and every parcel since they have an in-house brokerage which collects fees on each transaction whereas Canada Post does not. So when mailed through the postal service it’s a matter of customs catching each and every item. Also I believe BK undervalues when declaring the value which helps but given that 10C tubes are getting dinged with customs @ US$35 declared value it seems customs agents are getting more aggressive. After all it was announced additional agents would be hired to enforce and collect more often so wouldn’t be surprised if you notice more charges upon delivery.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Custom is luck. Ive been hit with 10c  posters declared at 35$ but paul jacksons poster was declared at 60$. Mystery box 100$ and nothing too
    Kearnsy
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Klausen’s tunes are the sturdiest from any artist I’ve received. Love them.

bought a Missoula off the bay a few weeks ago.  Tube arrived crushed, poster inside crushed and rippled.  Dude freaked out when I sent him a message with all the pictures, claiming I stomped on the tube.  He finally accepted the return but if you’re going to mail a poster and you don’t have a clue what you’re doing, at the very least use the sturdiest tube you can find, not one you can squeeze.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Hundreds of poster shipments and only one case of a damaged poster for me.
  • Klausen’s tunes are the sturdiest from any artist I’ve received. Love them.

bought a Missoula off the bay a few weeks ago.  Tube arrived crushed, poster inside crushed and rippled.  Dude freaked out when I sent him a message with all the pictures, claiming I stomped on the tube.  He finally accepted the return but if you’re going to mail a poster and you don’t have a clue what you’re doing, at the very least use the sturdiest tube you can find, not one you can squeeze.
    I learned my lesson as a seller. Someone bought my “Chief” from eBay. I packed it like I would every poster, I sent it express shipping and it arrived in 3 days. Buyer signed for it on day one and on day 6 complained it was damaged. Both Canada post and UPS claim it was not damage during the shipping. eBay sides with the buyer always, so I have no choice but to accept its return. 

FedEx didn’t put the right paper work on the return and it was returned to the buyer and left on his door step. eBay refunded him the funds and my package is still with him( they thought it was delievered back to me). I reached out to the buyer to drop it back off at the depot, no response. eBay says it’s my problem and nothing they can do. FedEx is playing stupid and I’ve spent the better half of the week on hold with eBay and FedEx. I’m hoping the buyer has the heart to do the right thing here and send me whats mine.

Lesson is, insurance, insurance, insurance. You can pack it as sturdy as possible, but if it’s stepped on, it’s going to get damaged. As a seller your responsible for the product you sell and the condition it arrives in. Sadly, I don’t think I’ll ever see my “Chief” again. The buyer got his money and the my “Chief” for nothing. :s:s:s:angry:

"This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Hundreds of poster shipments and only one case of a damaged poster for me.
    Gorilla rolling is a common problem I see.