Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_Soul said:
    Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian refugee, has been arrested for the random murder of 13 year old Marrisa Shen in Burnaby.

Has this been discussed? There are obvious political implications. He was a permanent resident of Canada for three months before murdering her. This does not speak well of the vetting process and is very likely going to stir emotions.

This case featured one of the largest investigations in history with over 300 officers working the case at peak time.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/police-to-share-significant-update-in-murder-of-burnaby-teen-marrisa-shen

He was privately sponsored by a Church (and only came at all because the church got more money than they needed in the collection drive. Originally it was just one family (dad, mom, kids), and then they added the dad's 2 younger brothers to the list. One of those younger brothers was the accused murder. As for vetting... No kind of vetting is guaranteed to predict something like this. I think it's actually pretty ridiculous to attack the vetting system in such a case, unless there is an actual demonstrable reason to, which isn't the case here .... Of course, I also think it's ridiculous to attack the system of taking in war refugees in general because of this.
    From what I understood... single males weren't supposed to be part of the deal.

The vetting system is definitely subject to criticism if it failed to adhere to conditions prior to accepting refugees- especially given the fact that this particular failure resulted in the brutal rape and murder of a young teen.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian refugee, has been arrested for the random murder of 13 year old Marrisa Shen in Burnaby.

Has this been discussed? There are obvious political implications. He was a permanent resident of Canada for three months before murdering her. This does not speak well of the vetting process and is very likely going to stir emotions.

This case featured one of the largest investigations in history with over 300 officers working the case at peak time.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/police-to-share-significant-update-in-murder-of-burnaby-teen-marrisa-shen

He was privately sponsored by a Church (and only came at all because the church got more money than they needed in the collection drive. Originally it was just one family (dad, mom, kids), and then they added the dad's 2 younger brothers to the list. One of those younger brothers was the accused murder. As for vetting... No kind of vetting is guaranteed to predict something like this. I think it's actually pretty ridiculous to attack the vetting system in such a case, unless there is an actual demonstrable reason to, which isn't the case here .... Of course, I also think it's ridiculous to attack the system of taking in war refugees in general because of this.

The vetting system is definitely subject to criticism if it failed to adhere to conditions prior to accepting refugees- especially given the fact that this particular failure resulted in the brutal rape and murder of a young teen.
    You're talking about the government sponsored refugees still. Again, this was a PRIVATELY sponsored refugee, and private sponsors can sponsor single males... Not that someone being a single male or not is an indicator of whether or not they're going to turn out to be psychopathic murderers.
    Obviously IF the vetting system failed (as it's used for privately sponsored refugees) to adhere to conditions it would be subject to criticism here, but I've seen nothing suggesting that was the case, and I don't think you've seen anything to suggest that either.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You're talking about the government sponsored refugees still. Again, this was a PRIVATELY sponsored refugee, and private sponsors can sponsor single males... Not that someone being a single male or not is an indicator of whether or not they're going to turn out to be psychopathic murderers.
    Obviously IF the vetting system failed (as it's used for privately sponsored refugees) to adhere to conditions it would be subject to criticism here, but I've seen nothing suggesting that was the case, and I don't think you've seen anything to suggest that either.
    Privately sponsored refugees still need to be approved (they don't circumvent the system given their funding is provided by private interest groups).

And we have a dead teen who died at the hands of a refugee who had been in the country for less than two months. Although I realize there are some that would like for this messy little event to kind of disappear versus acknowledging the event... I think having the discussion is appropriate.
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Privately sponsored refugees still need to be approved (they don't circumvent the system given their funding is provided by private interest groups).

And we have a dead teen who died at the hands of a refugee who had been in the country for less than two months. Although I realize there are some that would like for this messy little event to kind of disappear versus acknowledging the event... I think having the discussion is appropriate.
    Of course they need to be approved, but there are different rules for them, including the fact that single males can be privately sponsored (and rightly so). But besides that, it's not like ALL single males are not allowed, i.e. if someone has a single male son over the age of 18, they are allowed to come with their dad still, as part of the family unit. In this case, this guy came as part of a larger family.
    I think having the discussion is appropriate as long as "don't let them in" isn't on the table. I think that perspective is basically just plain evil, and definitely bigotted/prejudiced/xenophobic, as well as extremely bad when it comes to the national discourse - turning this tragedy into a weapon against war refugees and asylum seekers in general is disgusting and dangerous, and unfortunately, that's exactly when racists and xenophobes are doing right now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Of course they need to be approved, but there are different rules for them, including the fact that single males can be privately sponsored (and rightly so).
    I think having the discussion is appropriate as long as "don't let them in" isn't on the table. I think that perspective is basically just plain evil, and definitely bigotted/prejudiced/xenophobic, as well as extremely bad when it comes to the national discourse - turning this tragedy into a weapon against war refugees and asylum seekers in general is disgusting and dangerous, and unfortunately, that's exactly when racists and xenophobes are doing right now.
    And please don't mistake me for what you fear.

I'm only wanting the discussion to occur if it needs to occur. At a bare minimum, it should be acknowledged and I think that is what I intended with my original post.
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Of course they need to be approved, but there are different rules for them, including the fact that single males can be privately sponsored (and rightly so).
    And please don't mistake me for what you fear.

I'm only wanting the discussion to occur if it needs to occur. At a bare minimum, it should be acknowledged and I think that is what I intended with my original post.
    Oh, I'm not saying you're doing that. I'm just talking in the general sense. That is definitely what's going on with this story, and other Syrian refugees are freaking out about it, and I don't blame them.
    Certainly, this SPECIFIC case needs to be looked at, to see what, if anything, might have been overlooked during the vetting process. But again, it's very possible that nothing was. Sometimes human beings just go psycho, perhaps even as a result of trauma he experienced in Syria... hell, maybe he recently developed some kind of psychosis, we don't know yet. Or perhaps he is a sociopath and hid it very well and no one could have guessed ... But it's not like we can say that only "trauma-free" war refugees can come over. This is a terrible tragedy, but possibly not one that could have reasonably been prevented, depending on the details of his acceptance.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Once the the piece of human garbage is convicted turn him over to Asaad informing Asaad that he was an ISIS Fighter, problem solved....tax dollar saved.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Windsor doctor worries for medical cannabis once recreational use legalized

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-doctor-medical-marijuana-legal-1.4817269

Give Peas A Chance…
  • People taking the law into their own hands:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/convicted-fraudster-gunned-down-in-own-home/ar-BBNrXYP?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

In short: fraudster scams a bunch of people... gets sentenced to seven years in prison after the longest jury trial in Alberta's history... gets released 19 days into his sentence... gets shot to death at his $700,000 house.

The fraudster had told the courts he was destitute and had to sell his home to pay for his legal fees, but he tricked the courts to (he still lived there despite a land transfer to one of his buddies).
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Any social media savvy pot smokers here looking for a side hustle?

I'm going to assume there will be a fair amount of competition for this job, so get your resume polished.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/09/19/get-paid-to-smoke-weed_a_23532824/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Any social media savvy pot smokers here looking for a side hustle?

I'm going to assume there will be a fair amount of competition for this job, so get your resume polished.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/09/19/get-paid-to-smoke-weed_a_23532824/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    crazy stuff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I know this is going to irritate some contributors to this thread... but poor poor murderer, Terri-Lynne McClintic, has been transferred to a 'healing house'. If you remember... she was the piece of shit that lured Tori Stafford from the streets into the arms of her loser boyfriend, Michael Rafferty, who ultimately raped her repeatedly and then crushed her skull with a hammer and his foot once he was done.

She was supposed to be serving a life sentence. F**king joke.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/parliamenthill/goodale-orders-review-of-child-killers-transfer-to-healing-lodge/ar-AAAGP7W?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

The Stafford family is aghast, as is the rest of the country that thinks 'healing houses' are not appropriate for child murderers supposed to be serving life sentences. The family had no idea such good fortune was granted to the murderer of their 8 year old child.

Prime Minister Trudeau, once again proving he wasn't ready, has sided with the poor poor murderer though- insisting a couple of things: that she's a 'medium security prisoner' (despite her psychopathic ways murdering children and, not to mention, the 2012 violent assault of another prisoner) ... and that the Conservatives are 'playing politics' protesting the shocking transfer. No, Justin, they are not. They are placing your feet in the flames and demanding to know why such an obscene turn of events has occurred under your government. 

I voted Liberal last election and I had high hopes, but I can assure you that outside of legalizing dope, they have done nothing to preserve my loyalty. I will not be voting for that pencil necked geek again. He's still not ready (well... except for the cameras that is).  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/tori-stafford-s-family-to-protest-transfer-of-one-of-her-killers-to-indigenous-healing-lodge-1.4109053
    edited September 2018
    I disagree that the Cons aren't playing politics here. Of course they are. I know you're not that naive man.
    We all know that this poor sentencing issue wasn't any different under the Conservatives. In any case, the public safety minister is reviewing the situation. 
    She's not even eligible for parole until 2031. I personally don't particularly care where she serves her time, as long as she is removed from society and can't escape. Keeping society safe from these people is the one and only job of the criminal justice system. Do I like that she might go to whatever this healing lodge is? No. Do I think this is the Federal Liberal party's fault specifically? No.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree that the Cons aren't playing politics here. Of course they are. I know you're not that naive man.
    We all know that this poor sentencing issue wasn't any different under the Conservatives. In any case, the public safety minister is reviewing the situation. 
    She's not even eligible for parole until 2031. I personally don't particularly care where she serves her time, as long as she is removed from society and can't escape. Keeping society safe from these people is the one and only job of the criminal justice system. Do I like that she might go to whatever this healing lodge is? No. Do I think this is the Federal Liberal party's fault specifically? No.
    Except the Conservatives had measures aimed at 'fixing' our broken judicial tabled. So... they aren't really the same.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Except the Conservatives had measures aimed at 'fixing' our broken judicial tabled. So... they aren't really the same.
    They didn't do shit about it for 10 years while they were in power even though they played the tough on crime card during those campaigns too, so I don't see why people would expect anything different now.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They didn't do shit about it for 10 years while they were in power even though they played the tough on crime card during those campaigns too, so I don't see why people would expect anything different now.
    It might have taken them a while, but they eventually developed an appetite and made efforts.

At a bare minimum, they didn't go on record essentially supporting a child murderer or endorse/validate the release of a despicable child murderer that was supposed to be serving a life sentence... to a 'healing house'.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It might have taken them a while, but they eventually developed an appetite and made efforts.

At a bare minimum, they didn't go on record essentially supporting a child murderer or endorse/validate the release of a despicable child murderer that was supposed to be serving a life sentence... to a 'healing house'.
    Nobody went on record essentially supporting a child murderer, come on.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll rephrase then: he supported the decision to move the maggot to the 'healing house' (given her medium risk label that he made emphasis of) and deflect attention from the brutal move by scolding the Conservatives for 'playing games' when they challenged the obscenity of it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll rephrase then: he supported the decision to move the maggot to the 'healing house' (given her medium risk label that he made emphasis of) and deflect attention from the brutal move by scolding the Conservatives for 'playing games' when they challenged the obscenity of it.
    I read the quote and don't read it as support at all. All he did was confirm that she's classified as medium security and the lodge does take people who are classified that way. Those are literally just statements of fact. If he said words of support for it, please post them. I saw them as neutral.
    I 100% agree that the Cons are using this to their political advantage - I can't believe you don't think so.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I read the quote and don't read it as support at all. All he did was confirm that she's classified as medium security and the lodge does take people who are classified that way. Those are literally just statements of fact. If he said words of support for it, please post them. I saw them as neutral.
    I 100% agree that the Cons are using this to their political advantage - I can't believe you don't think so.

He's not exactly critical of the decision. The fact that he isn't and more concerned with the Conservative backlash... coupled with the fact that he deflects to the fact that she's been classified as a 'medium risk' (a weak legitimization of the move no matter how you want to dissect it)... speaks volumes in my mind.

He refers to the Cons as using this to their political advantage which, of course, is true; however, he's playing politics as well by spinning this ugly mess towards the Cons' mentality. Who gives a shit if his opponents are opposed to such a brain dead decision? The thing you should be vocal about in such a situation as this is the fact you have a child murderer sentenced to life... and she's getting pampered at a 'healing house' a few years into her life sentence.  

And don't forget... tougher penalties for shitbirds was a major Conservative agenda. Obviously, this is a need.
    I agree that tougher penalties have always supposedly been a major part of the Conservative agenda... The problem is that they never did shit about it. My own mother kept voting Conservative/for Harper because if that so-called agenda. I was surprised when I had to point out to her that they never ever followed through with any of it. It's just a talking point. I further reminded her that while they didn't do shit about the one thing she really cared about with them, they also did nothing to really help the environment, the one other issue she really cared about... I was pleased to see that my reminders gave her pause.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree that tougher penalties have always supposedly been a major part of the Conservative agenda... The problem is that they never did shit about it. My own mother kept voting Conservative/for Harper because if that so-called agenda. I was surprised when I had to point out to her that they never ever followed through with any of it. It's just a talking point. I further reminded her that while they didn't do shit about the one thing she really cared about with them, they also did nothing to really help the environment, the one other issue she really cared about... I was pleased to see that my reminders gave her pause.
    Fair enough.

Although to be completely fair, I think they were moving in that direction prior to getting the toe (too little too late).
    Just something to consider...

PJ_Soul said:
    Just something to consider...

Thanks for posting. Yes, considering evidence around what actually works and what doesn't in a correctional setting is important, and should be important to society. We should be funding and completing far more research on correctional programs.  Unfortunately, many people are only interested in the retribution/punishment aspect of corrections, not in what actually works to make society safer. If people were actually interested in a safer society, we would be taking seriously data out of counties like Norway, which appears to have some of the lowest rates of recidvism from a correctional system that focuses much more on treatment, humane conditions and personal responsibility. Instead, we mostly get people calling for harsher and harsher punishment.

Of course, many people would like to remove the whole "recidivism" question by keeping any violent offender in prison forever. 
    She's guilty of child murder.  She does not deserve that country club treatment.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Why should the emotionally-based desire for vengeance outweigh the evidence-based outcomes of lower recidivism and an overall safer society? 
    edited September 2018
    Right. Revenge is not the government or criminal justice system's mandate.
    Like I said before, I support whatever keeps society safe (including from those who get OUT of prison of course). If healing lodges are somehow shown to help with that in any way, fine with me. And of course I support humane treatment of prisoners. I don't encourage Canada corrections to make our criminals psychologically or socially worse while under their care.

Use of the term “country club” shows a major lack of knowledge about what medium secure correctional facilities are actually like. 
  • Why should the emotionally-based desire for vengeance outweigh the evidence-based outcomes of lower recidivism and an overall safer society? 

Why is an 'emotionally' based decision a poor decision? If someone goes and kills a child in as disgusting fashion as these two pukes... we don't need to put emotions aside and consider the needs of the murderers. We just need to lock them away for good (seeing as we can't execute them which is what we should be doing).

When a child is raped and murdered... most people aren't concerned with rehabilitating the offender on the off-hand chance they become remotely productive in society. Most people would prefer we erase the obscenity from our existence.

And you spoke of Norway which makes me laugh. They can have their 'open prison system'. Talk to me when they aren't slaughtering whales and issuing hunting licenses for endangered wolves. They'll roll out the carpet for Anders Breivik, but treat animals like barbarians. Sorry, but they haven't got it figured out.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The conservatives trying to make hay with that little girls murder is disgusting.