Green Technology

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Toyota Olympic bus: runs on hydrogen and serves as an emergency power generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymbdp-uDQJU
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    ^^^ Nice!

Here's one a former AMT regular told me about recently:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Looks good.  I wonder what happens to the waste it collects?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Looks good.  I wonder what happens to the waste it collects?
    Hopefully disposed of properly.  At least its starting point.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are pluses and minuses to this.  On the one hand, bio fuels create less pollution, but at the same time, producing biofuels mean monocropping (bad for the soil), a lot of fertilizer used (often made from petroleum), high water usage, less arable land for growing food.  That's not to say I'm against biofuels, but I think a more useful solution is for people to do less flying.  I've known some people who talk big about being environmentalists but do a lot of flying and driving.  Something's wrong with this picture.

Trains are another solution.  Besides walking, trains can haul more passenger/cargo weight per unit of fuel than any other mode of transportation. This is a sold but not well known fact.

brianlux said:
    There are pluses and minuses to this.  On the one hand, bio fuels create less pollution, but at the same time, producing biofuels mean monocropping (bad for the soil), a lot of fertilizer used (often made from petroleum), high water usage, less arable land for growing food.  That's not to say I'm against biofuels, but I think a more useful solution is for people to do less flying.  I've known some people who talk big about being environmentalists but do a lot of flying and driving.  Something's wrong with this picture.

Trains are another solution.  Besides walking, trains can haul more passenger/cargo weight per unit of fuel than any other mode of transportation. This is a sold but not well known fact.

I like the idea of trains moving people.  Government needs to better invest in trains.  Not sold on high speed  rail ... to costly.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

I like the idea of trains moving people.  Government needs to better invest in trains.  Not sold on high speed  rail ... to costly.
    I agree.  For North America, high speed rail is no longer a wise option due to cost.  Europe and Japan were smart building them back when they did.  I read a report a few years ago that showed that the best option today would be to revitalize existing rail services and restart service where unused tracks exist.  Sadly, places like my current home town have torn those tracks up to make "trials".  Glorified sidewalks is more like it.  We have plenty of real trials and places to walk around here.  It would have made so much more sense to bring back the train to Placerville!  One of many frustrations with this world we live in. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree.  For North America, high speed rail is no longer a wise option due to cost.  Europe and Japan were smart building them back when they did.  I read a report a few years ago that showed that the best option today would be to revitalize existing rail services and restart service where unused tracks exist.  Sadly, places like my current home town have torn those tracks up to make "trials".  Glorified sidewalks is more like it.  We have plenty of real trials and places to walk around here.  It would have made so much more sense to bring back the train to Placerville!  One of many frustrations with this world we live in. 
    I love train travel and am always in favour of passenger trains coming back into service. Sadly, it’s also less and less available in BC. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Not sure about California ... that’s getting to be less of an option here.  Many old rail lines have been dismantled and are now used as multi purpose pathways.  And I know of one rail-line that was dismantled and purchased by a turbine company.  So the investment would be much greater here.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Diid someone say train travel ... LMFAO.
    Give Peas A Chance…