PJ double album

124»

Comments

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    The first 5 PJ albums stand up to anyone. Just as good as Metallica's first 5 or Led Zeppelin's first 5. For me, Binaural and Riot Act was the "dig deep" experimental phase - that two album era produced over 40 songs! There's also some great songs on Pearl Jam, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt for sure. Though it seems PJ's been complacent over the last 10 years of recording. For a band that worships The Who (double album kings!) and Neil Young (puts out a new record almost every year), PJ's well has been running dry for 15 years now. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    The first 5 PJ albums stand up to anyone. Just as good as Metallica's first 5 or Led Zeppelin's first 5. For me, Binaural and Riot Act was the "dig deep" experimental phase - that two album era produced over 40 songs! There's also some great songs on Pearl Jam, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt for sure. Though it seems PJ's been complacent over the last 10 years of recording. For a band that worships The Who (double album kings!) and Neil Young (puts out a new record almost every year), PJ's well has been running dry for 15 years now. 
    Too many side projects. I don't know the dynamics of it all but it's interesting that the band members don't want to collaborate and release the stuff under the "Pearl Jam" moniker. Again, I don't know much about the other members of Brad, RNDM, etc.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    rummy said:
    Too many side projects. I don't know the dynamics of it all but it's interesting that the band members don't want to collaborate and release the stuff under the "Pearl Jam" moniker. Again, I don't know much about the other members of Brad, RNDM, etc.
    I've always wondered the same. There's really no need for PJ as a creative outlet for them, they all have other stuff going on.
    When Stone writes a song, how does he determine if its a Brad or PJ song?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    Matt and Jeff just released solo albums.  Some of that stuff should be on a PJ album....
    im still trying to get enough listens in with matt's album to form a valid opinion but man did jeff ever knock it out of the park with his latest release(heaven/hell).  jeff's sooo ultra kool&hip lol so i'm not sure if the band could make his songs on that disc any better than they already are   ;)
    I normally really enjoy Jeff's solo stuff, but I think Heaven/Hell was a bit of a flop TBH, comparatively. I was kind of disappointed with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    PJ_Soul said:
    Matt and Jeff just released solo albums.  Some of that stuff should be on a PJ album....
    im still trying to get enough listens in with matt's album to form a valid opinion but man did jeff ever knock it out of the park with his latest release(heaven/hell).  jeff's sooo ultra kool&hip lol so i'm not sure if the band could make his songs on that disc any better than they already are   ;)
    I normally really enjoy Jeff's solo stuff, but I think Heaven/Hell was a bit of a flop TBH, comparatively. I was kind of disappointed with it.
    I'm actually kind of glad to hear that. I've heard so much good about it, but I didn't care for it either. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with me.
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Milestone said:
    Double albums are rarely a good thing

I’d say that concept albums are rarely a good thing. 

Iron Maiden’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is an exception. The only one I am aware of.  
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited September 2018
    Probably four reasons:
    1) no need to compromise on a solo album
    2) lack of confidence in new material to live up to PJ legacy
    3) 10 Clubbers buy enough merch and bootlegs these days to keep them comfy
    4) no record company asking for a new album
    Post edited by Milestone on
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Milestone said:

PJ is capable of matching those classics.
    “capable” and “willing” are two different words 😉
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    I haven't given Jeff's enough listens yet....love Matt's.  Just some great riffs that would be awesome on a PJ album
    Matt’s new one is amazing. Jeff’s...well I wanted to like it. I really did...
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    edited September 2018
    Milestone said:
    Probably three reasons:
    1) no need to compromise on a solo album
    2) lack of confidence in new material to live up to PJ legacy
    3) 10 Clubbers buy enough merch and bootlegs these days to keep them comfy
    When you put it that way, I'd be surprised if we ever get a new album again. There really doesn't seem to be much reason at all for them to release new music under the name "Pearl Jam" - and if you think about it, the last two albums get crapped on quite a bit - even by us die-hards (I'm somewhat guilty of this myself) as do the last couple of one-off singles, Ole and Can't Deny Me. Why would they even bother?
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Milestone said:

I’d say that concept albums are rarely a good thing. 

Iron Maiden’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is an exception. The only one I am aware of.  

Id take a look at some of Jethro Tulls albums.

the last two albums get crapped on quite a bit - even by us die-hards (I'm somewhat guilty of this myself) as do the last couple of one-off singles, Ole and Can't Deny Me. Why would they even bother?
    Good lord, I hope the band doesn’t read this stuff. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
    Milestone said:
     the last two albums get crapped on quite a bit - even by us die-hards (I'm somewhat guilty of this myself) as do the last couple of one-off singles, Ole and Can't Deny Me. Why would they even bother?
    Good lord, I hope the band doesn’t read this stuff. 
    Hmmm...maybe I was too "one the nose" with my post.

Well, we know that they read some things - that's why they are so great about fulfilling requests by 10c members at their shows. 
    I can see PJ going the "legacy band" route pretty soon.

The Grateful Dead's last studio album was Built To Last recorded in 1989. They toured until Jerry Garcia's death in 1995 with no new album. The Dead in some shape or form has had no new music for 30 years and still tours. The Rolling Stones last new album of original songs was 2005's Bigger Bang. That's almost 15 years on the road for the Stones with no new material (I'm not counting the cool blues covers LP they put out a couple of year back). The common thread for all three of these bands: PJ, The Dead, The Stones, are all three in Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, no new albums and still touring for the most part.

Point is, PJ has no monetary reason to release new music. And it would seem no creative reasons either, as each band member has well-established side projects to keep them busy. They might bring the band back together every few years for a summer tour so they can fund the lifestyles they are used to living. They also might keep us Ten Clubbers happy from time to time and release a "one-off" single to justify the membership fees. Then call it a day. Am I missing something?
    edited September 2018
    I can see PJ going the "legacy band" route pretty soon.

The Grateful Dead's last studio album was Built To Last recorded in 1989. They toured until Jerry Garcia's death in 1995 with no new album. The Dead in some shape or form has had no new music for 30 years and still tours. The Rolling Stones last new album of original songs was 2005's Bigger Bang. That's almost 15 years on the road for the Stones with no new material (I'm not counting the cool blues covers LP they put out a couple of year back). The common thread for all three of these bands: PJ, The Dead, The Stones, are all three in Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, no new albums and still touring for the most part.

Point is, PJ has no monetary reason to release new music. And it would seem no creative reasons either, as each band member has well-established side projects to keep them busy. They might bring the band back together every few years for a summer tour so they can fund the lifestyles they are used to living. They also might keep us Ten Clubbers happy from time to time and release a "one-off" single to justify the membership fees. Then call it a day. Am I missing something?
    Great points. I’d also argue that both The Grateful Dead and The Rolling Stones put out MANY more studio albums in general than Pearl Jam during their creative peaks.... 

So, all 3 bands seemingly ran out of gas by year 27, but PJ’s productivity was never on par with the other examples.
    "It's better to burn out than fade away"? 50/50...but I'll take fade away any day of the week. ;)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I’d say PJ had been in legacy mode for about a decade.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited September 2018
    JM144705 said:
    Bring on the Christmas album!
    Seriously why don't rock artist do Christmas albums anymore?!? I enjoy Christmas music around the holidays but my rock selection is getting real stale. Only pop artist do Christmas these days. 
    You gotta pick up Twisted Sister- Twisted Christmas
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365
    DewieCox said:
    It's been almost 10 years since Backspacer, right? 

In the last 10 years, the only new stuff was Lightning Bolt. Which I like. Quite a bit, actually. But that's the only real new stuff. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Look at it this way. In the first 7 years, we got Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield.

I know as most bands move along, they dont keep up that pace. But what a great ride those years were. Ten-Binaural is basically high school and college for me. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    Vedd Hedd said:
    DewieCox said:
    It's been almost 10 years since Backspacer, right? 

In the last 10 years, the only new stuff was Lightning Bolt. Which I like. Quite a bit, actually. But that's the only real new stuff. 
    Backspacer was '09, so we've had two albums in the last 10 years, but definitely slowing down :(

Not unexpected though.   When we were all into 90s music in the 90s we were surrounded by veteran acts that slowed down creatively, but were still great live.

When your a musician your both a composer and a performer.  If you're struggling with one, at least you've still got the other :)
    I hate to reminisce too hard about the early 90s, but wow....the albums we got from 1990-1996. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    edited September 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Look at it this way. In the first 7 years, we got Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield.
    That’s a career that most bands could only dream of. Rock and roll hall of fame, even if they broke up after Yield. 

I still believe, though..... with 5 songwriters and and 5 years since Lightning Bolt.....  There’s no reason why a double album is a ridiculous ask of this band. 

As for the delay, I think part of the problem is trying to record in Seattle. Family distractions, comforts of home..... this gets in the way of late night recording sessions and a drive to crush out something special. They need to get out of town. Rent out a studio somewhere for two weeks. Commit to coming home with so many goddamned songs that there are spares to shelve. 

5 years. 5 songwriters. I’d like for Stone to grab this thing by the horns. Let Stone drive it. If everyone else is complacent.... then grab the steering wheel and recall that he once led this band. (Rattling the cage, yes.... I know).  
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I hate to reminisce too hard about the early 90s, but wow....the albums we got from 1990-19968. 
    Sorry but I had to make a small edit to your post!
    rummy said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I hate to reminisce too hard about the early 90s, but wow....the albums we got from 1990-19968. 
    Ha, oh i agree there. Yield is prob my favorite, maybe 2nd to vitalogy. But that said, i just meant all music in general.  1998 started a lot of boy band trends.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Milestone said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    That’s a career that most bands could only dream of. Rock and roll hall of fame, even if they broke up after Yield. 

I still believe, though..... with 5 songwriters and and 5 years since Lightning Bolt.....  There’s no reason why a double album is a ridiculous ask of this band. 

As for the delay, I think part of the problem is trying to record in Seattle. Family distractions, comforts of home..... this gets in the way of late night recording sessions and a drive to crush out something special. They need to get out of town. Rent out a studio somewhere for two weeks. Commit to coming home with so many goddamned songs that there are spares to shelve. 

5 years. 5 songwriters. I’d like for Stone to grab this thing by the horns. Let Stone drive it. If everyone else is complacent.... then grab the steering wheel and recall that he once led this band. (Rattling the cage, yes.... I know).  
    Believe me, I think they have it in them too.  Agreed on the distractions. But those distractions are family,  and that seems to be the priority. Cant even really blame them for that.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Believe me, I think they have it in them too.  Agreed on the distractions. But those distractions are family,  and that seems to be the priority. Cant even really blame them for that.
    I’m all for family, too. Rock and roll in the studio is work. Time to clock in.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    rummy said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Ha, oh i agree there. Yield is prob my favorite, maybe 2nd to vitalogy. But that said, i just meant all music in general.  1998 started a lot of boy band trends.
    Good point. Yield was a beacon during a stormy time.
    edited September 2018
    As a comparison, Neil Young since 2013 has put out 6 studio albums (plus live albums and archives)

A Letter Home (2014)
    Storytone (2014)
    The Monsanto Years (2015)
    Peace Trail (2016)
    Hitchhiker (2017)
    The Visitor (2017)

Since 2013's Lightning Bolt, Pearl Jam have put out zero albums. Now maybe the comparison is not fair, since although NY is part of many bands (Crazy Horse/Promise of Real), but he's the only songwriter and his band members are support, not songwriters (remember PJ only had two songs on Mirrorball (Merkinball), but I think Ed wrote a few lyrics for a couple other NY songs on that album).

PJ probably doesn't have an army of lawyers at recording rehearsals yet, but I'm guessing songwriting is a nightmare at this point. Someone commented 5 songwriters is a good thing - not always. Too many cooks in the kitchen can slow the process.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    I know we're talking strictly PJ albums here, but when you think about it these guys have put out a shit ton of music in the last decade, just not under the Pearl Jam brand. There must be at least 10 - 12 albums combined since 2007 not counting PJ. These have also included tours or appearances not with the band. They've been really busy, but it seems PJ has become the side project.

I feel like if Cornell were still around this band would almost be done besides mini stadium tours with no mention of new music. Wait, that's how it is now anyway.

It's a hopeless situation...