Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    There is no reason for Bernardo and Russell Williams and more like them to not see the DP...

Those sick bastards get to relive there crimes everyday their alive.  Executing those scum will take away that from them ...  pointless letting those sick fuckers live...

Unlike the rest of society ... I would not allow lethal injection ... hanging is perfect. Let them bleed out slowly would suffice.  
    There is a reason: Civilized nations don't have the DP anymore, for many reasons, which I'm sure you're aware of.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Snap election coming.  Seems like the time is right.  Conservatives still not a cohesive group.  The NDP is coming apart with every word uttered by their leader.  Trump plotting the "ruunation" of Canada.  Something his base can feel good about.  Trans Mountain in shambles.  I think a mandate is logical and necessary at this point.  
    I say do it now.  Get a mandate.  Step away from the miscreants table and put some faith in Congress and the "adults" looking after things in the Whitehouse.  At this point I see Trump imposing auto tariffs as inevitable and mostly because he can.  This will be his benevolent outlet to distract from his miscreant behavior and the tightening cuffs a coming.

Any thoughts.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    Premier Ford (I hate stating that) is going to evoke the notwithstanding clause to ignore a Supreme Court of Ontario decision to strike his I'll conceived mangle job on Toronto city council elections.
    What a jerk.
    This blowhard know nothing at all wont be over ridden by the courts, the Country or the invisible man.  He knows best right.  He was elected with a mandate....to a non existant platform by an electorate grown tired of Liberal rule.  
    What an ass.  Four years of this miscreant.

I need a drink.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    TalonTedd said:
    Premier Ford (I hate stating that) is going to evoke the notwithstanding clause to ignore a Supreme Court of Ontario decision to strike his I'll conceived mangle job on Toronto city council elections.
    What a jerk.
    This blowhard know nothing at all wont be over ridden by the courts, the Country or the invisible man.  He knows best right.  He was elected with a mandate....to a non existant platform by an electorate grown tired of Liberal rule.  
    What an ass.  Four years of this miscreant.

I need a drink.

LMFAO ... he was democratically elected.  The judge was appointed by McGuinty.  Who the fuck argues for more politicians ... Did you bitch when the liberal rammed wind farms down people throats even though municipal governments voted against them...Did you FUCKING BITCH when when BOB RAE rammed the social contract on public sectors unions, how about Harris merging municipalities...it is within the premiers power to do what he has done...

Give Peas A Chance…

Oh never mind, I see you are from the centre of the universe...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2018
    Having another meltdown....
    Apparently the legal expert....you know the Supreme court judge begs to differ. It apparently is against the charter of rights.
    Just saying.
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
    TalonTedd said:
    Having another meltdown....
    Apparently the legal expert....you know the Supreme court judge begs to differ. It apparently is against the charter of rights.
    Just saying.
    You do know it was not a Supreme Court judge?  It was a a Superior Court judge.  By the way mock my user name all you want...you are the fucking fool.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Sugar pop easy
    If you want to make out no need for the dirty talk.  I'm already hot for ya
    By the way - if you are unhappy with the PC's you can vote them out in 4 years...

The NDP better find a more desirable leader.  Because after the next election they'll be back to 3rd place where they rightfully belong...

It is odd, I do not remember seeing that judges name on the ballot.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Legal scholars surprised by judge's reasoning in Toronto council cuts decision

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/legal-scholars-surprised-by-judge-s-reasoning-in-toronto-council-cuts-decision-1.4087964 

Richard Moon, a University of Windsor law professor
     who focuses specially on freedom of expression rights, said on Twitter that “the court's reliance on the free expression rights of voters and candidates is problematic for several reasons. It distorts the idea of free expression - and runs contrary to existing SCC decisions.”

“Free (expression) does not protect the right to run for office -- and in any event no one is prevented from running for office in this case. They may do so but in a larger riding,” Moon added.

“There is a plausible argument that free (expression) may sometimes protect a right to vote -- although several things complicate this (i) it is a so-called platform -- that is better seen as based on a right to vote in a democratic system (ii) the private nature of voting is a reminder that this is really about representation rather than expression (iii) voters have other ways to express themselves (iv) voters for council still have a right to vote - just in larger ridings,” Moon went on.

“Finally, it is difficult to contain the claim that voter free expression is compromised by diluting their vote,” Moon concluded. “Why is that not always a problem? Or more to the point how do we determine when dilution is a problem?”

Give Peas A Chance…
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    edited September 2018

LMFAO ... he was democratically elected.  The judge was appointed by McGuinty.  Who the fuck argues for more politicians ... Did you bitch when the liberal rammed wind farms down people throats even though municipal governments voted against them...Did you FUCKING BITCH when when BOB RAE rammed the social contract on public sectors unions, how about Harris merging municipalities...it is within the premiers power to do what he has done...

LMFAO... who the fuck defends a brain dead twat like Ford let alone votes for him... oh wait

Post edited by qontheboard on

LMFAO... who the fuck defends a brain dead twat like Ford let alone votes for him... oh wait

I've been insulted by better people than ... don't worry.  LMFAO
    Give Peas A Chance…

Were you bitching when wynn ignored the many municipalities voted against wing turbines and the twat did it anyway, hypocrite.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

The fines seem high but I don't, on principle, object to fines for providing cannabis to those under-aged or for smoking at a provincial campsite or other public places. You already can't smoke cigarettes at campsites in BC and I would have assumed the same in Manitoba.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I'm not going to get in a debate on legalities and Charter Rights.  I don't pretend to be any kind of Authority.   Ford made no mention of this dictatorial move during the election.  We don't elect dictators.  The use of the NWC seems immature at the least.
    I'm actually interested to see how PCs vote in this supposed free vote.  This is a violation and a breach of trust and misuse of authority.   How the party votes will be telling.  If they support this dictation and not the courts ruling....my revolution of conservative politics will be galvanized for the rest of time.....Not even Harper would have done something this anti democratic. 
  • Ford.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

So... damn... funny.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

The fines seem high but I don't, on principle, object to fines for providing cannabis to those under-aged or for smoking at a provincial campsite or other public places. You already can't smoke cigarettes at campsites in BC and I would have assumed the same in Manitoba.
    i believe smoking in provincial campsites is only restricted during fire bans, and the same will apply for weed.
    Anyway, Manitoba has made their MJ laws too strict IMO. I don't have a prob with fines in principle, but when the rules those fines are connected to are too strict, that changes things. Glad I don't live in Manitoba.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

i believe smoking in provincial campsites is only restricted during fire bans, and the same will apply for weed.
    Anyway, Manitoba has made their MJ laws too strict IMO. I don't have a prob with fines in principle, but when the rules those fines are connected to are too strict, that changes things. Glad I don't live in Manitoba.

Just checked and yes, you're right about the timing of smoking restrictions in provincial campsites. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

• LMFAO ... he was democratically elected.  The judge was appointed by McGuinty.  Who the fuck argues for more politicians ... Did you bitch when the liberal rammed wind farms down people throats even though municipal governments voted against them...Did you FUCKING BITCH when when BOB RAE rammed the social contract on public sectors unions, how about Harris merging municipalities...it is within the premiers power to do what he has done...

Meltdown99, my bad. I was not inferring that you are a brain dead twat. I'm sorry it came across that way. I posted in haste, and I see now my post is easily interpreted as a personal insult. It is not. I hardly ever post here because I never have the time to fully convey my thoughts.  I was just pointing out that you alone are defending Ford (the brain dead twat) with whataboutisms every time someone is critical of him. He's fucking up legal marijuana just as bad as Wynn... where's the outrage? Mail order? Private stores have to purchase Gov't grown marijuana, which I've been told by a few on the inside will not be good weed. They hired the wrong people to grow.

Mabey he's just trying to protect Randy's business.

I think those fines in Manitoba are ridiculous.   You can not even camp in a provincial park surrounded by nature, but you can not smoke a plant that grown in nature, probably since the beginning of time.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Just so you know, I will side the with the majority of legal experts.  Most seemed surprised of the judges decision and they seem to indicate he will win the appeal and section 33 will not really be used.  It's being used now so the election can go ahead with reduced council seats.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Meltdown99, my bad. I was not inferring that you are a brain dead twat. I'm sorry it came across that way. I posted in haste, and I see now my post is easily interpreted as a personal insult. It is not. I hardly ever post here because I never have the time to fully convey my thoughts.  I was just pointing out that you alone are defending Ford (the brain dead twat) with whataboutisms every time someone is critical of him. He's fucking up legal marijuana just as bad as Wynn... where's the outrage? Mail order? Private stores have to purchase Gov't grown marijuana, which I've been told by a few on the inside will not be good weed. They hired the wrong people to grow.

Mabey he's just trying to protect Randy's business.

No worries...it happens.  I do not know who you would have preferred.  I'm guessing many more would have chosen to vote NDP, but there leader will never lead them to an election.  I suspect the liberals will do some soul searching, and likely will bring the party back to the middle.

The real question is, can they rebuild in 4 years, time will tell.

The NDP does not see an opportunity.  Their opportunity could be in 4 years with a less angry leader...

So time will I guess.  One thing you will never hear me support ... more politicians and larger bureaucracies...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian refugee, has been arrested for the random murder of 13 year old Marrisa Shen in Burnaby.

Has this been discussed? There are obvious political implications. He was a permanent resident of Canada for three months before murdering her. This does not speak well of the vetting process and is very likely going to stir emotions.

This case featured one of the largest investigations in history with over 300 officers working the case at peak time.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/police-to-share-significant-update-in-murder-of-burnaby-teen-marrisa-shen

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    TalonTedd said:
    Sugar pop easy
    If you want to make out no need for the dirty talk.  I'm already hot for ya
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian refugee, has been arrested for the random murder of 13 year old Marrisa Shen in Burnaby.

Has this been discussed? There are obvious political implications. He was a permanent resident of Canada for three months before murdering her. This does not speak well of the vetting process and is very likely going to stir emotions.

This case featured one of the largest investigations in history with over 300 officers working the case at peak time.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/police-to-share-significant-update-in-murder-of-burnaby-teen-marrisa-shen

Yes, I read about ... he killed her shortly after arriving into Canada.  What vetting process?  I imagine refugees have very little on them, they are coming from countries that are in upheaval, so I image getting background check are near impossible, and if possible are likely very inaccurate.  How bout' when a refugees is invested of a crime a deportation order issued and carried out after sentence served.  We had a Syrian refugee convicted of inappropriate touching at local pool, he gets to stay in the country..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian refugee, has been arrested for the random murder of 13 year old Marrisa Shen in Burnaby.

He was privately sponsored by a Church (and only came at all because the church got more money than they needed in the collection drive. Originally it was just one family (dad, mom, kids), and then they added the dad's 2 younger brothers to the list. One of those younger brothers was the accused murder. As for vetting... No kind of vetting is guaranteed to predict something like this. I think it's actually pretty ridiculous to attack the vetting system in such a case, unless there is an actual demonstrable reason to, which isn't the case here .... Of course, I also think it's ridiculous to attack the system of taking in war refugees in general because of this.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

He was privately sponsored by a Church (and only came at all because the church got more money than they needed in the collection drive. Originally it was just one family (dad, mom, kids), and then they added the dad's 2 younger brothers to the list. One of those younger brothers was the accused murder. As for vetting... No kind of vetting is guaranteed to predict something like this. I think it's actually pretty ridiculous to attack the vetting system in such a case, unless there is an actual demonstrable reason to, which isn't the case here .... Of course, I also think it's ridiculous to attack the system of taking in war refugees in general because of this.
    it's like attacking the justice system for not being able to predict murders. 

this ain't minority report. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

it's like attacking the justice system for not being able to predict murders. 

this ain't minority report. 
    Exactly. I gather people who attack it because of this kind of incident either do think you can somehow predict like that through vetting, or they simply think that Canada should take NO refugees ever, thus preventing any possibility of asylum seekers committing crimes here. Neither point is anything close to reasonable... Maybe the first IF they have proof that the vetting process identified serious mental/criminal issues with the refugee and ignored it, or that those doing the vetting don't even consider criminal histories or serious mental illnesses. And they're not going to find evidence of that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on