Top 5 TV Show Characters

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    My favorite top five off the top of my head:

Jim Rockford, Rockford Files
    Columbo, Columbo (his character first name is never mentioned)
    Lieutenant Theo Kojak, Kojak
    Hawkeye Pierce, M*A*S*H
    Emma Peel, The Avengers

And for those not familiar with Ms Peel:

Jim Rockford ...excellent choice Brian.  That's my Dad's favourite actor, he loves the rockford files...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    pjhawks said:
    George Costanza - Seinfeld
    Hawkeye Pierce - M.A.S.H
    Al Bundy - Married with Children
    Bugs Bunny
    Woody Boyd - Cheers
    Al Bundy yes...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Dr Mark Greene - ER
    Coach Eric Taylor - FNL
    Manuel - Fawtly Towers
    Jed Barlet - West Wing
    Mike "Wags" Wagner - Billions
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Gilligan
    Lavern...not Shirly
    Larry curly and moe
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    No Coder said:
    Dr Mark Greene - ER
    Coach Eric Taylor - FNL
    Manuel - Fawtly Towers
    Jed Barlet - West Wing
    great addition.  love that character
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Hawkeye Pierce, M*A*S*H
    Emma Peel, The Avengers

Jim Rockford ...excellent choice Brian.  That's my Dad's favourite actor, he loves the rockford files...
    I've been a big fan since way back.  I have all the DVDs and still enjoy them a lot.  My mom was absolutely ga-ga over James Garner, lol! (So is my wife, come to think of it, haha!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    pjhawks said:
    No Coder said:
    Dr Mark Greene - ER
    Coach Eric Taylor - FNL
    Manuel - Fawtly Towers
    Jed Barlet - West Wing
    great addition.  love that character
    He's hilarious - and the show is better with every scene he's in
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    "Wags" is a good one

Archie Bunker
    Fred Sanford
    Sam, Carla, Woody, Norm!!  Cliff Clavin
    Al Bundy
    Hank Moody
    Marty Kaan
    The Gallagher's (especially  Frank  Fiona & Carl)

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

Hawkeye Pierce, M*A*S*H
    Emma Peel, The Avengers

I was friends with one of the Rockford writers; he has since passed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Charlie - sunny
    michael scott - office
    Lucille Bluth - arrested
    henry winkler - arrested
    Phil Hartman - news radio

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    ed243421 said:
    Charlie - sunny
    michael scott - office
    Lucille Bluth - arrested
    henry winkler - arrested
    Phil Hartman - news radio

Oh, nice one! He made that show so much better.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    There are so many shows that I haven't seen now that there are so many outlets. Some interesting new ones and yes, this is a fun thread. 
    I couldn't choose from Lost which character was best though I was Team Jack. 

Two I thought of and had difficulty with which was the best character vs my favorite character - 

Crowley - Supernatural (I want to pick them all but Crowley is the most outrageous, I mean - he was a human blood junkie - awesomeness)

Brenda (Rachel Griffiths) - six feet under 
    Oh and Kramer is definitely the Seinfeld choice. 
  • 1. Jim Ignatowski - Taxi
    2. Archie Bunker
    3. Homer Simpson
    3. Lucille Ball
    4. Fred Sanford

And no, I'm not THAT old.   
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    njnancy said:
    There are so many shows that I haven't seen now that there are so many outlets. Some interesting new ones and yes, this is a fun thread. 

Two I thought of and had difficulty with which was the best character vs my favorite character - 

Crowley - Supernatural (I want to pick them all but Crowley is the most outrageous, I mean - he was a human blood junkie - awesomeness)

Hot mess!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :anguished:
    edited September 2018
    njnancy said:
    Yes, exactly how I felt for Brenda. Always tough to watch someone, even a TV character, struggle the way that she did. 

I need to go back an rewatch it, skipping the entirety of season 3 (which was just too overbearing for me), but did she ever pull herself out of the muck? I can't remember. Hers was probably the character with which I had the most empathy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    Yes, exactly how I felt for Brenda. Always tough to watch someone, even a TV character, struggle the way that she did. 

I need to go back an rewatch it, skipping the entirety of season 3 (which was just too overbearing for me), but did she ever pull herself out of the muck? I can't remember. Hers was probably the character with which I had the most empathy.
    I was always pulling for her. As far as her getting it together - as long as she and her brother were so enmeshed, there could never be any real relief  --  they had been screwed up from early on. In the final episode, where everyone dies which was a fitting way to end the show, she and her brother are white haired and maniacally debating and it looks like they had both just fallen into the abyss.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    njnancy said:

Lost was full of excellent characters, it's hard to point to just one.  I think that's what made the show great for such a long time before the story just went completely off the rails - you got to invest in the characters and know them like friends.  It was a diverse group of people all with different pasts and skeletons in their closet. They had a realism about them and almost everyone who watched could either relate to one of the characters themselves or knew someone they could relate to one of them.
    edited September 2018
    njnancy said:

Lost was full of excellent characters, it's hard to point to just one.  I think that's what made the show great for such a long time before the story just went completely off the rails - you got to invest in the characters and know them like friends.  It was a diverse group of people all with different pasts and skeletons in their closet. They had a realism about them and almost everyone who watched could either relate to one of the characters themselves or knew someone they could relate to one of them.
    Lost is another one that I've never watched.

One of these days....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Lost had so much going on that I could watch it from the beginning and see a bunch of new things. The writers didn't want the show to continue as long as it did but the network pushed them - they felt that they had shown everyone's background and their reason for being in this group of people in this circumstance - they said they knew they were 'off the rails' when Sawyer and Kate were in cages for most of a season. This was one show that I loved which had an ending that sucked, IMHO. Most emotionally intense moment - when Charlie was locked out of the sub and pushed the note about the evil intentions of the search boats against the window as he died. :bawling:
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    njnancy said:
    Oh and Kramer is definitely the Seinfeld choice. 
    1. Jim Ignatowski - Taxi
    2. Archie Bunker
    3. Homer Simpson
    3. Lucille Ball
    4. Fred Sanford

And no, I'm not THAT old.   
    Kramer belongs.

Lucille Ball & Jim Ignatowski do too.

3 great characters.
    njnancy said:
    Lost had so much going on that I could watch it from the beginning and see a bunch of new things. The writers didn't want the show to continue as long as it did but the network pushed them - they felt that they had shown everyone's background and their reason for being in this group of people in this circumstance - they said they knew they were 'off the rails' when Sawyer and Kate were in cages for most of a season. This was one show that I loved which had an ending that sucked, IMHO. Most emotionally intense moment - when Charlie was locked out of the sub and pushed the note about the evil intentions of the search boats against the window as he died. :bawling:
    The first few seasons of Lost were amazing. The final season had it moments, but had a lot to deliver on that was just too much of a task. Titus Welliver as the man in black was great though. Early seasons' Ben and Charlie were great too.

Man, this makes me want to do a nostalgia run of Lost and Breaking Bad. I already watch the whole The Wire series about every 18 months so why not these great shows too :lol:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I've never watched The Wire.  I think they're all on Prime so I should check it out.  60 episodes, I could crank that out in a few weeks weeks.
    I've never watched The Wire.  I think they're all on Prime so I should check it out.  60 episodes, I could crank that out in a few weeks weeks.
    Do it! Excellent series, great acting and writing. Season 4 is the pinnacle. Many people think season 2 was not so great, but I love that season now more than most of the rest. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Second that.  The Wire is a fucking addiction once you get into season 2...

Michael K Williams.
    He is the baddest dude around, and not a simple character in the normal/boring 'tough guy' mold
    "Omar Is Comin', Omar is comin'!"

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah, Six Feet Under.  The calling of Brenda was spot on but I'd add Ruth and Nate (Jr.) - so layered.  Goddammit, I miss that show.

Sipowicz from NYPD Blue deserves a nod...the "lovable asshole".

(PS to darwinstheory, thank you!)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
    Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
    DCI John Luther (Luther)
    Maeve (Westworld)
    Jack Bauer (24)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Randy Marsh.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    One of my favorite, this still is from the show "Car 54, Where are You?"  Points for naming the actor, bonus points for telling us what other show he starred in:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.