Options

Research On Alcoholism Refutes The Success of the 12 Step Program (AA)

13»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    kudos to you, @njnancy. you are an inspiration. don't ever feel guilty about not giving back. you have to do what you can for yourself, and if you simply can't give it, you just can't. 

I'm not in AA, but I learned a long time ago that I needed to stop worrying about everyone else's problems. I was giving too much of myself to too many people. it wore on me. I think it's what started my anxiety and depression to a degree. or made it worse, anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,682
    with patience and shared experience @njnancy nails it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited September 2018
    W
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    with patience and shared experience @njnancy nails it.
    The funny thing about AA is that it is debated so much but the key to its success is realizing its simplicity.  You are a miracle.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    kudos to you, @njnancy. you are an inspiration. don't ever feel guilty about not giving back. you have to do what you can for yourself, and if you simply can't give it, you just can't. 

I'm not in AA, but I learned a long time ago that I needed to stop worrying about everyone else's problems. I was giving too much of myself to too many people. it wore on me. I think it's what started my anxiety and depression to a degree. or made it worse, anyway. 
    I share the battle of depression and anxiety - I guess the universe was pissed off the day I was conceived - and I completely agree with how much worry and guilt and not feeling good enough are all useless emotions that do nothing but just make us sicker.  Good luck!
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    humans are surely the dumbest creatures on earth. we are the only ones that consistently poison ourselves to death. smoking, drinking, eating garbage. brutal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    humans are surely the dumbest creatures on earth. we are the only ones that consistently poison ourselves to death. smoking, drinking, eating garbage. brutal. 
    no shit.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    no shit.
    I kind of regret posting this thread, mickey. I went back to read from the beginning and realized it was I who started it, and called it "faith based". My apologies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited September 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    no shit.
    I kind of regret posting this thread, mickey. I went back to read from the beginning and realized it was I who started it, and called it "faith based". My apologies. 
    no sweat. you opened your mind to new information. changed your thoughts as a result of research. cant condemn that.

and it IS true its faith based, just not exactly in the way it sounds or is commonly known.

drunks and junkies have all kinds of faith.  Faith the bartender is going to pour correctly. that thhe booze is going to do its job. that driving homed fucked up will be no issue.

for junkies it that the dealer will have some good shit, it wont be short, and this dose wont be the overdose......

faith has been involved all along.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    no shit.
    no sweat. you opened your mind to new information. changed your thoughts as a result of research. cant condemn that.

and it IS true its faith based, just not exactly in the way it sounds or is commonly known.

drunks and junkies have all kinds of faith.  Faith the bartender is going to pour correctly. that thhe booze is going to do its job. that driving homed fucked up will be no issue.

for junkies it that the dealer will have some good shit, it wont be short, and this dose wont be the overdose......

faith has been involved all along.
    ok, but when someone writes "faith based" it is pretty much immediately understood as "religion based", which it isn't.

I agree that faith can take on many forms. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I believe we do that for two reasons.  One, because of fucked up upbringing.  And two, because that's the price we pay for having a large brain capable of being conscious, sentient beings.

The solution?  I may be making it too small here but I believe the solution to #1 above is to not get hung up on the causal past and look to the present to find good coping methods (which is why AA works for some).  The solution to #2 I believe is to try to take a more Zen like approach to the things we can't change and educate ourselves enough to make  positive difference where and when we can.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    That was a powerfully good argument njnancy.  It got me thinking of my own addiction struggles and the higher power I envision when I get a craving or feel the trigger.  My higher power is wanting a long productive and active life with my wife and kids.  My addictions were stealing my time energy and money.  So good on AA for changing "God" to a higher power.  I'm assuming this because it is an older program developed at a time when the majority wouldn't be sceptical and more accepting of "God".
    My previous post shows my distaste for religion.  Raised a catholic and given the full program.  So I get polarized and aggressive.
    My best friend is an alcoholic.  Wish he would seek help.  Because of your post, should he ever even allude to getting help.  I'm going to show him your post.  I think he would appreciate it and use it as a guideline.
    All the best.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    TalonTedd said:
    That was a powerfully good argument njnancy.  It got me thinking of my own addiction struggles and the higher power I envision when I get a craving or feel the trigger.  My higher power is wanting a long productive and active life with my wife and kids.  My addictions were stealing my time energy and money.  So good on AA for changing "God" to a higher power.  I'm assuming this because it is an older program developed at a time when the majority wouldn't be sceptical and more accepting of "God".
    My previous post shows my distaste for religion.  Raised a catholic and given the full program.  So I get polarized and aggressive.
    My best friend is an alcoholic.  Wish he would seek help.  Because of your post, should he ever even allude to getting help.  I'm going to show him your post.  I think he would appreciate it and use it as a guideline.
    All the best.
    The guidelines laid out in AA have been used in all type of groups - eating, smoking, sex, work, loved ones of addicts, etc. I stopped going to meetings because I kept running into my son's father who I met in AA (broke the first rule - no relationships in the first year and it makes a hell of a lot of sense - can't love someone else till you love yourself. Can't make good decisions when you don't even know what you like or what is good for you - that was one hard lesson that I still deal with today). Or I ran into someone he had slept with, or one of his 'bro's'. It took away the peace that I needed at that time. I do miss the feeling of self confidence and seeing things in perspective that I felt after a meeting. Free therapy is great. 

I hope your best friend gets to the point that they want to make a change someday and I will keep your friend, as I keep all those who still suffer, in my heart. 
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
     :) 
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.