Listening to all my records

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
This afternoon, this thought came to me that I want to listen to every  record I have-- lp's and 45's. I'm guessing that's a good 500 to 600 hours of listening.  I starting thinking, since I own the records,  I really owe to the fact of having them, and owe it to all of the people that made the records, and owe it to myself as well, to all to listen to them all. It's become a "music bucket list" thing for me.

I'm starting at one end of my collection and going all the way through, one end to the other, one record at a time. I'll put a colored divider after each listen to keep track of where I am. This will take longer than 500 hours because I'll listen other records when I feel like it. That means the card could move slowing because I might not feel like listening to the next in line for a while. But eventually (hopefully!), I'll get to the end of all my records before kicking the proverbial bucket!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Yes!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    great idea.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Awesome! What do you do when you buy something new, where does it fit in the rotation?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    MedozK said:
    Awesome! What do you do when you buy something new, where does it fit in the rotation?
    Good question, M.

Let's say I've started with The Alarm's first, self-titled, LP and I've listened up through Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking and the next day I run across a copy of Donovan Hurdy Guri Man.  "D" as in Donovan comes between "A"  and "F"-- what I've listened to so far.  In any case, because it's new to me so I'll listen to the whole record and then file it alphabetically.  Then I will go back to the next record where I left off which is Fifty Foot Hose's "Cauldron" and keep listening from there.  But then if Pearl Jam comes out with a new record I haven't heard yet.  Even though it is beyond the F's  where I left off, because it's new to me, I'll probably listen to it anyway, file it, and then when I've worked my way up to it, I'll listen to it again.  If I want to save it for when I get up to the P's I can do that, although it's not likely I'd wait!

I'll also take breaks from the progression and listen to anything on the shelves and sooner or later (probably sooner), go back to working through the line.  That way I stay flexible enough to listen to stuff I'm in the mood for and at the same time know that eventually I'll go back to the alphabetical progression and eventually will have listened to everything, all the way through, at least once.

So depending on how side tracked I get and how many new albums and singles I had to my collection, this could take a while (thus the half- joking about doing this before I kick the bucket, lol!)

I just think it will be great to know I've not missed a single note.  Kind of like honoring all that music. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    edited September 2018
    Did you consider going chronologically instead of alphabetically. That way you don’t have to listen to one bands entire catalogue in a row. Everything is mixed up. 

Edit.. putting 600 records in chronological order might take a minute. I didn’t think of that. 
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

RS151862 said:
    Did you consider going chronologically instead of alphabetically. That way you don’t have to listen to one bands entire catalogue in a row. Everything is mixed up. 

Edit.. putting 600 records in chronological order might take a minute. I didn’t think of that. 
    825, plus 125 7" singles, but who's counting?  LOL  Yeah, that would be quite a task.

Actually, I hadn't thought of that.  It'll take weeks just to get through Neil Young alone.  I might want to think about interspersing one Young LP a week or something like that. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2018
    I've thought about doing this with PJ bootlegs in chronological order.  It seems like a daunting task and, compared to some people, my bootleg collection is minuscule.
    I should do this with records, too, though.  I have a bunch that I've never listened to (mostly old ones inherited from my grandmother's collection).
    I've thought about doing this with PJ bootlegs in chronological order.  It seems like a daunting task and, compared to some people, my bootleg collection is minuscule.
    I should do this with records, too, though.  I have a bunch that I've never listened to (mostly old ones inherited from my grandmother's collection).
    I love organizing things, probably to the point being at least a little OCD.  My records are organized in clumps of separate categories like general rock and pop, punk, paisley underground/ neopsychedelia, jazz, blues, soundtracks, country, etc.  Bands that I have larger numbers of records by are filed separately from the general categories and are lined up in alpha order and chronologically within themselves.  Within each general category, again, the records are filed alphabetically and within an artist or band, chronologically.  IN the rare case of a band with a number for a name (i.e. 10,000 Maniacs), numbers come before letters.  (I do the same with books at the bookstore- 101Dalmations comes before Aladdin  in the kid's Disney book section.)

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Great idea Brian!
    I will sometimes listen to every record by an artist in chronological order (especially if a new album is released), but I've never thought of listening to everything I have before.

I have one challenge for you though...

https://youtu.be/AQvOnDlql5g
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Great idea Brian!
    I will sometimes listen to every record by an artist in chronological order (especially if a new album is released), but I've never thought of listening to everything I have before.

"Deep Purple to Howlin' Wolf in just 25 moves..."  :lol:

Thanks but, ahhh, no way!  :lol:

I'm going to have to watch that film again soon!

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    Great idea Brian!

"Deep Purple to Howlin' Wolf in just 25 moves..."  :lol:

Thanks but, ahhh, no way!  :lol:

I'm going to have to watch that film again soon!
    I love that scene :lol:
    When I saw High Fidelity in the cinema, my friend leant over after that scene and just said “that’s you...”

(Tim Rogers)
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I started doing this. Made it to about F, kept adding new vinyl and lost track. Good luck on your endeavor!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    I'm halfway through "A"s !!

Oh wait... that's just the general rock section.  I still have punk (Adolescents), shoegaze (Axxess and Ace), jazz ( a few Mose Allison and several Albert Ayler's)...

Yeah, this is going to take awhile! 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I once kind of did this, but to avoid listening to all of one artist's albums in a row, I listened to one album by each artist, alphabetically, at a time. So start with artist A's first album, move to artist B's 1st album, and so on, and once I finished artist Z's first album, I went back and played artist A's 2nd album, etc. I actually really enjoyed it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I once kind of did this, but to avoid listening to all of one artist's albums in a row, I listened to one album by each artist, alphabetically, at a time. So start with artist A's first album, move to artist B's 1st album, and so on, and once I finished artist Z's first album, I went back and played artist A's 2nd album, etc. I actually really enjoyed it!
    Nicely done, Allison!

Where do your singles fit in? Are you playing them chronologically with the corresponding album, or separately after you have finished all of the albums?

It'd be interesting to hear your reactions to something you haven't heard for years (or not at all) as well. Does a record that you loved years ago still hold up? Or is there something you weren't blown away by originally that sounds better now?  

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Where do your singles fit in? Are you playing them chronologically with the corresponding album, or separately after you have finished all of the albums?

It'd be interesting to hear your reactions to something you haven't heard for years (or not at all) as well. Does a record that you loved years ago still hold up? Or is there something you weren't blown away by originally that sounds better now?  
    I have 12" singles filed in front of the corresponding band's LP's so they get played first, then the LP's.  I decided to save the 7" 45's (which are separately boxed) for last.  I have a Project Carbon Debut that requires lifting the platter to change the belt speed, plus most of the small singles require a hole adapter, so it will be easier to listen to all of them in a row.

Yes, one of the fun things about doing this is that I know I will hear records all the way through that I haven't heard in quite a while.  That, and already there have been some songs that I've probably heard but don't recall ever having done so like The Alarm's "Thoughts of a Young Man" and "Second Generation."

Last night, I listened to Lauri Anderson's LP Big Science.  Great record!  But as much as I love some of the songs and find them all interesting, it's a challenging album to listen too all the way through and I was tired last night, so it felt a bit like work to sit through the whole album but I felt good about doing it.

I've also (so far at least) been reading along with the lyric sheets when available.  That was very rewarding with the two 10,000 Maniacs LP's I have because Natalie Merchant's singing is a hard to follow on those early albums.  That was a lot of words! 

So far, everything has held up well... but I'm only 8 records in so far.  I'm guessing this little venture may produce a few cull- but maybe not!

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

I have 12" singles filed in front of the corresponding band's LP's so they get played first, then the LP's.  I decided to save the 7" 45's (which are separately boxed) for last.  I have a Project Carbon Debut that requires lifting the platter to change the belt speed, plus most of the small singles require a hole adapter, so it will be easier to listen to all of them in a row.

Yes, one of the fun things about doing this is that I know I will hear records all the way through that I haven't heard in quite a while.  That, and already there have been some songs that I've probably heard but don't recall ever having done so like The Alarm's "Thoughts of a Young Man" and "Second Generation."

Last night, I listened to Lauri Anderson's LP Big Science.  Great record!  But as much as I love some of the songs and find them all interesting, it's a challenging album to listen too all the way through and I was tired last night, so it felt a bit like work to sit through the whole album but I felt good about doing it.

I've also (so far at least) been reading along with the lyric sheets when available.  That was very rewarding with the two 10,000 Maniacs LP's I have because Natalie Merchant's singing is a hard to follow on those early albums.  That was a lot of words! 

So far, everything has held up well... but I'm only 8 records in so far.  I'm guessing this little venture may produce a few cull- but maybe not!
    I have the same turntable, and I bought a Project Speed Box so I don't have to lift the platter and adjust the belts. Well worth the money.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

I have the same turntable, and I bought a Project Speed Box so I don't have to lift the platter and adjust the belts. Well worth the money.
    Thanks, that looks helpful.  But I also noticed that places including Crutchfield and Amazon no longer carry it.  The other thing I don't like about the Carbon Debut is the annoying motor hum.  I'm saving up my dollars and looking to get something different- probably a Rega Planar 3 with Elyse 2 cartridge although I'm tempted to go with an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 with a cartridge upgrade to save some money. 

Because my wife is not a Captain Beefheart fan and she is gone for the day, I've listened to all 8 sides of the Magic Band LP's in my collection today plus a four song EP.  I expect I'll have strange dreams tonight!

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I need to do this. I started over the summer and then work got in the way.  

I'm going to start it back up. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That’s an awesome idea, man! I may do the same!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Along similar lines, somber yet entirely worthwhile, here's a blog written by a contributor to my local paper. His name is Mike Oliver and he suffers from a degenerative brain disease called Lewy Body dementia, a disease that will ultimately take his life as their is no cure. He's committed to counting down and reviewing all 678 records in his collection in alphabetical order before his life expires. I've never met Mike but the spirit he shares thru his blog is full of humanity. If you love music, basketball and/or life this may be for you:
    https://myvinylcountdown.com
    mfc2006 said:
    That’s an awesome idea, man! I may do the same!
    I'm really enjoying it, mfc.  It gives me a chance to appreciate each an every record and also to consider those for which I truly don't see ever listening to again to be culled (that will be few as I'm pretty careful about purchasing LP's).

jjflash said:
    Along similar lines, somber yet entirely worthwhile, here's a blog written by a contributor to my local paper. His name is Mike Oliver and he suffers from a degenerative brain disease called Lewy Body dementia, a disease that will ultimately take his life as their is no cure. He's committed to counting down and reviewing all 678 records in his collection in alphabetical order before his life expires. I've never met Mike but the spirit he shares thru his blog is full of humanity. If you love music, basketball and/or life this may be for you:
    https://myvinylcountdown.com
    That a great idea.  I thought about doing a little review for each record but I'm still to busy with work and life in general to have time for 1,000 or so reviews!

Also, thanks for posting the link to Mike Oliver's site.  Really sounds interesting.  One of my motivations for doing my listening project is the realization that I'm at an age (67) where mortality and loss of mental alertness will be big concerns in coming years and I want to be able to hear all this great music at least one more time (which is not say say I won't live to be 100 and hear them several times, but one never knows).

And sad to hear Oliver has a degenerative brain disease.  When my mother was dying of "Alzheimer's" I did some reading on brain disease including one called The Myth of Alzheimer's by Peter J Whitehouse, M.D. that argues that Alzheimer's is too general a term that describes many different types of brain aging diseases and has a lot of good information about how, as best as possible, to maintain good brain health.  Despite the title and premise which sound negative, it's actually a very useful and encouraging book.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Thanks, that looks helpful.  But I also noticed that places including Crutchfield and Amazon no longer carry it.  The other thing I don't like about the Carbon Debut is the annoying motor hum.  I'm saving up my dollars and looking to get something different- probably a Rega Planar 3 with Elyse 2 cartridge although I'm tempted to go with an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 with a cartridge upgrade to save some money. 
    That's odd. I have never noticed a motor hum with mine.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

That's odd. I have never noticed a motor hum with mine.
    I've read up on it it's it's not common but also not uncommon.  Kind of a crap shoot.  A great turntable as long as you're lucky enough to get one that doesn't hum.  Mine is usually not loud enough to notice but at time is which is when it is really a drag on the listening experience.  Good TT's are a lot of bucks, so I hold out for now.

I recently decided to do the logical thing and reorganize all my rock vinyl records instead of having punk and shoegaze etc. separated so listening through them all is progressing a bit differently (and more logical, really).

I'm currently on Bowie and just digging Bowie so much right now.  And I just picked up the excellent Parlophone reissue of Hunky Dory, further sweetening the experience!

• Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    I had a thought to do exactly this; listen to one cd or record per day all the way through my whole collection. Then I did the math and realized that I'd literally be dead by the time I finished and that got me depressed enough to consider start getting rid of some of this stuff.... :|
    I had a thought to do exactly this; listen to one cd or record per day all the way through my whole collection. Then I did the math and realized that I'd literally be dead by the time I finished and that got me depressed enough to consider start getting rid of some of this stuff.... :|
    That is actually part of my motivation do do this "listening project".  Once I listen to something, I tell myself to honestly answer this question: "Will I ever listen to this again, or is there some other reason (sentimental value) to keep this?"  If not, into the record section of my wife's store it goes.  I have to admit though, so far, few have left the herd.

I've been culling my books lately as well.  That's a tough one, partly because I have so darned many, and partly because pretty much every book I have is something I acquired with the full intention of reading or at least browsing or referring back to it.  And I will definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, will ever be able to read all the book I have in this house, not to mention the thousand that make up my book business inventory.

Finishing listening to all my Bowie records has been a sad event.  I keep thinking, "How is it that David is no longer with us?"  :frowning: