*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/2/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
Pearl Jam
Fenway Park
Boston, MA
Show One
September 02, 2018
Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage: 7:56
Band Offstage: 10:36

01. Sometimes
02. Release
03. Low Light
(Ed wants to take a second to say something about Bono who recently lost his voice.  Ed notes that he is on the mend.  Ed wants to remind everyone how much important charity work that Bono does as well as working incredibly hard with U2.  He asks the crowd to show some love from an Irish city to one Irish man.)
04. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town
05. Why Go
06. Corduroy
Ed wants to toast the the people of Fenway Park that asked the band if they would like to come back and play.  Ed talks about the weather and gives a grammar lesson on ways the word ‘fuck’ can be used.  This segues into a talk about regulations being reduced on emissions.  “Use your vote as verb and say Fuck You”
07. Mind Your Manners
08. Down
(Ed talks about Dick, a guy who has worked many Pearl Jam shows as local security.  Ed didn’t see Dick when he showed and asked about him.  Dick had some health issues but is home recovering.  Dick’s wife sent a picture of Dick holding a sign that Ed had shown on the video screens.)
09. Given To Fly
(This is a request by a friend of ours.  This is for people who are soldiers, were soldiers.  He mentions John McCain.  We know his story but there are a lot of other stories.  With love and respect we play this one)
10. Army Reserve
11. Even Flow
(Introduces Matt Cameron.  This is for the brothers Steve and Joe (Calgano) and the Krasinski’s too.)
12. Amongst The Waves
13. Daughter / WMA (1 min tag)- /It's OK-(Cole)  (2:25 cover)  (WMA lyric - “dirties his hand, pays them off, police man, president)
14. Got Some
15. Do The Evolution
16.  I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt) [slow intro Ed solo. Band comes in on “I Was Walking…” ]
17. Lukin (changes chorus to “I’m going to Fenway..”)
18. Porch (Ed walks the stage wings wearing a Red Sox jersey.  He also walks along the top of the barricade)

Encore Break 1
(Ed checks in with people in various parts of the park.  Ed says it is a shame that the players never get to see this place with fans all on the field and jokingly suggests that if the Red Sox win they should trash the field.  Ed says he is joking because Sam Kennedy invited them to come and he notes that one person that regrets music shows is David Mellor the head  groundskeeper. Ed plays a Tom Petty song for John.  Ed pulls out his Red Telecaster that he got from Tom Petty.  Ed ask everyone to light some lights.  Ed breaks down a little at the end of the dedication)

19. I Won't Back Down-(Lynne, Petty) 
20. Just Breathe
21. Present Tense
22. Once
23. State Of Love And Trust
(Ed wants to talk to the fellas to play something they don’t normally play.  If we fuck it up it will be my fault.  It won’t be the first time.  My wife is here and she can attest to that)
24. Tremor Christ
25. Black (improv lyric “can you let us know your out there”)-Time Heals-Todd Rundgren :35 sec. Tag / Waiting On A Friend-(Jaggar/Richards) -30 second tag
(Ed talks about sharing a room with Jeff in the old days.  Putting sarongs on the lamps.  It was so romantic.  Listening to Aretha Franklin, Belly (other bands..)  Ed snuck into Fenway Park.  Ed gets around to saying we are very grateful to this city.  It is a great rock and roll city.  He introduces Bill Janovitz from Buffalo Tom to play one of Ed’s favorite songs)
26. Taillights Fade-(Buffalo Tom) with Bill Janovitz from Buffalo Tom.  Bill sings V1.  Ed sings Ch1 and V2.  Bill sings Ch2 and V3.  both guys sing outro chorus. 
(After the song Ed introduces the band and asks his “old roomie Jeff what he is doing tomorrow?”

27. Blood / Atomic Dog-(Clinton, Shider, Spradley) 10 sec tag.
(Ed lists off all the choices of marijuana they had available to them.  They chose something called “Green Monster”.  I don’t have lyrics for this so I am gonna make it up like I did the first time.)
28. Out Of My Mind (b-side from “Not For You” single)
29. Alive
30. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
(Mike goes to the barricade to melt some faces.  Ed lobs tambourines. There is supposed to be a hard curfew at 10:30 but the band plays past it.)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• ZeMightyJeddZeMightyJedd Posts: 40
    edited September 2018
    Went to both Chicago shows. Almost went to this one, but decided to pass it up. Too bad— looks like one helluva night. 

Probably the best opening run of songs this tour (Sometimes/Release/Low Light/Elderly Woman). Just outstanding. 

I also really like the flow of I Won’t Back Down into Just Breathe into Present Tense. 

And finally, you just gotta love any show with Given to Fly and State of Love and Trust. 

Another special night. Hope it was as great in person as it looks on paper. 
    Post edited by ZeMightyJedd on
    2013: Baltimore, Los Angeles (1&2), Seattle
    2009: Los Angeles (1,2,3,4)
    2008: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2003: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2000: Maryland
    1998: Washington, DC
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Great sound on the floor
    c2 tonight
    b5 tuesday

i enjoyed it...but obviously wished for 3-5 more songs 

play Marker in the Sand Tuesday!!!! Please
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited September 2018
    Tonight's show was brought to you by the word "fuck."
    We had fun, of course. "Sometimes" was an interesting opener. As far as I'm concerned, "It's Okay" can and should be played at every show for the forseeable future (I've heard it three times this year, and I'm happy as a clam about that). "Out of My Mind" was a pleasant surprise! Our younger son was at the show with us, and I told him he's our good luck charm -- he was with us at the Halloween show at the Spectrum when "Out of My Mind" was played.

It was great to hear the guys bring out "Army Reserve."

Ed was super chatty tonight.
    I have to say that something felt a little "off" about this show. Maybe it was where we were sitting, but the sound seemed weird at times. From where we were, the crowd seemed really enthusiastic, even though the set list felt like it had an odd flow tonight.

Also, I'm super stoked about choosing to stay in Brookline. We walked 1.5 miles up Beacon Street to get back to our hotel. Awesome!
    Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Seems like they asked Stone to play guitar a lot tonight ... I wonder if he even bothers to show up on Tuesday
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Blood was insane... My 19th show and the best one yet  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Amazing show! Was down in B3 and it sounded great! Crowd was really into it. Tremor Christ and Out of my Mind! Loved it, here's hoping the weather is good for Tuesday!
  • Annr95Annr95 Posts: 62
    edited September 2018
    Post edited by Annr95 on
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    Great show overall!! Down and Army Reserve were nice to hear but seemed to kill the crowd a bit, from my perspective. One of the best first encores I've seen the band play. Wish we got a longer show but whoever doesn't?? Excited for Night 2!!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Holy shit! Out of My Mind and it sounded great! They scratched 4 songs in the second encore. Thank you so much Eddie for not scratching that one. I was singing my ass off and completely lost it 

Unbelievable night that flew right by. Love the start of this show and Release sounded amazing in the number 2 spot. Lots of songs that have not been played much lately thrown in the mix and some great versions of the staples that we all love. Can't wait now to see what Tuesday brings. 

Couple of negatives that I need to mention. Crowd in my area was lame and took away from the show a bit. People sitting the whole show not singing along and just standing there. People can do what they want at a concert and it is their show to enjoy it how they want but holy shit at all the stiffs in my section. Second thing is why did the band come on so late? I appreciate them playing past the curfew of course but still unsure why they started as late as they did. Seemed to me a lot of people were in their seats early. 
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    would have loved to be at this one. I like the Buffalo Tom cover - underrated band.

• What a great show. Maybe we will get "Sonic Reducer" on tuesday. :)
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    That first encore was tremendous. Present Tense AND Tremor Christ. Loved Taillights Fade - such a great nod to Boston and Bill was on fire.

Agree with curmudgeoness about the sound being off in spots. There were times during the main set where the guitars were buried in the mix and it was very low end. DTE and Corduroy didn't have their usual punch. Thought maybe it was seats or stadium acoustics, but Mike's solos sounded fine.

And after a 5 minute english lesson on "fuck," how was Fuckin' Up not on the setlist? It was right in front of you, fellas!

Anyway, great night and bring on Tuesday.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    PJNB said:
    Holy shit! Out of My Mind and it sounded great! They scratched 4 songs in the second encore. Thank you so much Eddie for not scratching that one. I was singing my ass off and completely lost it 

Unbelievable night that flew right by. Love the start of this show and Release sounded amazing in the number 2 spot. Lots of songs that have not been played much lately thrown in the mix and some great versions of the staples that we all love. Can't wait now to see what Tuesday brings. 

Couple of negatives that I need to mention. Crowd in my area was lame and took away from the show a bit. People sitting the whole show not singing along and just standing there. People can do what they want at a concert and it is their show to enjoy it how they want but holy shit at all the stiffs in my section. Second thing is why did the band come on so late? I appreciate them playing past the curfew of course but still unsure why they started as late as they did. Seemed to me a lot of people were in their seats early. 
    Same same same!! Amazing show, the boys really brought it and were having a great time, but WTF was up with the 10c crowd?? Agree everyone can enjoy the show in their own way but sooo many stiffs. I had a bit of the opposite in my section too - ppl who went from stiffs/sitting down/walking around to SUDDENLY enthused.

Where were the ppl rocking out?? Grandstand looked more bumping.

Either way had an amazing time but had to chime in bc I felt the same. Sec C8.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • wigswigs dark side of the moon Posts: 45
    I still can’t believe that just happened... what an amazing set, the band sounded great, just wow
    ~Stop light plays it's part, so I would say you have a part. What's your part? Who you are. You are who, who you are~
  • Really really good show, especially the opening quartet of songs and the first encore.  Crowd was great where I was (didn’t see a single person sit down once).

show seemed to get squeezed out at the end though. Energy drained a bit because no one knew the two songs around Blood and for once were dead (I was the only one thing excited by Out of My Mind but honestly only because of hearing it at the Spectrum before).  Then things ran up against the curfew and felt a bit underwhelmingly rushed.

grwat show overall. Especially loved the whole opening with Release, present tense, tremor Christ, amongst the waves, this version of I am a patriot, and the new corduroy 
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Ed needs to cut the chit chat.  Good show with some great deep cuts and possibly the best version of Black I’ve seen maybe ever but jesus having to cut 4 songs from the encore because they went on late and Ed wouldn’t shut up.  Still a great time and can’t wait for Tuesday. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169

The "fuck" monologue was an old George Carlin routine.

Great show, got one of Ed's picks during "Got Some".

Present Tense - Once - SOLAT - Tremor Christ is one hell of a 4 song run.

See You Next Tuesday!

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Crowd near me in B5 was great — no talkers, which was a huge issue in Seattle both nights. Won’t back down was stellar with audience participation. Tremor Christ was the last song i hadn’t heard off Vitaolgy. And ran into a guy I first met 25 years ago, who sent me my very first tapes, and who I last saw at wrigley 2013. What a night. 
  • gocubsgo051316gocubsgo051316 Chicago Posts: 8
    I was up in the grandstand and the energy around me was great. I got literal goosebumps during Release while my whole section sang in unison. Nobody seemed quite as excited about Tremor Christ as I was, but otherwise everyone was rocking out and enthusiastic the whole show
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    The fact that Out of Mind has been played four times ever and I've seen it three times is bizarre since I'm not a fan and the song wasn't very memorable. However, Present Tense, Porch, Black, Just Breathe and Release I've seen even more times and they all kicked ass. Army Reserve was my only first time check off after thirty shows and was also enjoyable. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Oh and yes Christopher Mintz-Plasse AKA McLovin was there again tonight.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Shame they went on so late and thus had to cut 4 songs.
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    Anyone know the 4 scratched songs?

BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Taillights Fade, Soda Jerk, Late At Night.  Three tunes by Buffalo Tom that i kept on repeat as a teen in the 90s.  
  • Anyone know the 4 scratched songs?

Life Wasted, Life Wasted Reprise, Better Man, and Sonic Reducer

Although because they added Tremor Christ and Reprise is only like a minute, in terms of amount of time cut it probably wasn't a substantial amount
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    sanckner said:
    Crowd near me in B5 was great — no talkers, which was a huge issue in Seattle both nights. Won’t back down was stellar with audience participation. Tremor Christ was the last song i hadn’t heard off Vitaolgy. And ran into a guy I first met 25 years ago, who sent me my very first tapes, and who I last saw at wrigley 2013. What a night. 
    Forgot about Won't Back Down and how loud the crowd was during that one. Chills thinking about it now. This show was so much damn fun. 
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    First thoughts:

-Great opening (Sometimes!) and first set 

-Encore #1 was amazing (Won’t Back Down>Just Breathe>Present Tense)!

-Tremor Christ was special and sounded great

-Down and Patriot could have been left for Fenway #1 2016...didn’t see the need to repeat it this year

-I felt like the second encore didn’t live up to the rest of the great, solid set and left something to be desired.
    Of course, a few more songs would have been awesome (but we shouldn’t just be greedy and expect the band to go all out 35 songs/3 hours every single night)... I’d much rather see a Sonic Reducer, Indifference closing too than the usual Alive>RITFW>Ledbetter combo for example 
  • Sitting in a greasy spoon north of Toronto and they played Refuge by TP followed by Whip It by Devo whilst reading the comments. 
    Great looking set list!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • rlafrance63rlafrance63 Boston Posts: 5
    Great to read the “Sea” review to know what the hell was going on tonight. I agree it wasn’t the band’s best performance and the sound was a bit distorted much of the time, and thru most of Ed’s speaking. It was an off night. And a shorter than usual show. I didn’t even catch that it was an encore break. Sorry! I was sitting in the dugout seats and was surprised it just wasn’t as super fantastic as the 2 Fenway 2016 shows. Many thanks for an excellent version of Porch, Present Tense, and a bit of WMA and Waiting on a Friend. 

Lastly, I noticed lots of folks near us spending more time on their phones/social media than digging the music and the fact that Pearl Jam was in the House. With us!! And yes....Brookline is awesome! 
  • deek74deek74 Posts: 111
    What a great night! An awesome set list. Wish there was more time. It would of been an unbelievable encore with the songs that were taken off. 

It it was also neat to see Ed’s wife watching some of the show from 3 rows behind me. 
    1996 Randals Island NY, Hartford 1998 Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2000 Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2003 Mansfield I, Mansfield III 2004 Boston I, Boston II 2006 Boston I, Boston II 2008 Hartford, Boston I, Boston II, Eddie Vedder Boston II 2009 Philly III 2010 Boston 2011 Eddie Vedder Providence, Eddie Vedder Boston 2011 PJ20 I, PJ20 II 2013 Worcester I, Worcester II