Options

Army Reserve at Fenway N1 (For the Troops)

Comments

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Yesssssss
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Yesssssssir! ;)

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited August 2018
    Stumbled upon THE Iwo Jima flag this past weekend.  Goosebumps were in full effect. 

Bump.  AR4T
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Pearl Jam and Fans,

I want to start by saying this request is not for me personally, but more for our troops, their families, and perhaps raise some awareness for the rest. I know, I know… some here has pointed-out in the past that I am in the military.  I am not here to give myself a high-five, but here to ask for some of your time.

First, please allow me to share what the song “Army Reserve” has done for me:  I've been in the military for 12 years now.  I’ve done my share of deployments, and at one point I got deployed five times in six years.  For those who know the field, that is quite a handful. Despite some very challenging times overseas, my most difficult duties were while I was in South Jersey.  I was stationed there for a bit more than three years and during that time, one of my duties is to be the guy dressed to the nines knocking on people's doors to tell them their child/husband/wife/dad/mom/etc who's a service member will not be coming home alive. It fucked me up a bit and it still messes with me from time to time.  I never really talked to anyone about this, and even the people closest to me either don't know I did that, or don't know any details about that job, because I feel like it is better for everybody that way.  Another duty I had in those three years was to render honors to deceased veterans. Which wasn't as emotionally taxing if we just rolled-in, played Taps, folded the US flag, gave the Next-of-Kin a salute, and rolled-out.  However, most of the time, we ended-up sitting there, listening to the stories about these heroes, and somewhat get attached. That hour difference makes it much harder for me to look someone in the eye, and try to show no emotion as I hand over a flag that his/her loved one fought for.  I have seen a plethora of grief and I could not avoid thinking about what the family of these service members has gone through or is going through.  “Army Reserve” has always been a good venting song for me whenever I hear it or choose to play it.  The song allows me to just breathe and push-out the tears that I somehow managed to hold back in front of these families; somewhat a healing song.

Now that I’ve expressed what the song means to me, on to the request:  I am requesting this song for our deployed troops, the vets who’ve been there and done that, and of course, their very strong families who hold it down at home.  “Army Reserve” I think perfectly portrays what families and service members go through during deployments.  The stress of being apart, joining family events through email or Skype (if you even get the chance), coming home to a seven-month-old baby who you last saw through an ultrasound, the family feeling the need to justify to eveyone why the service member continues to do what they do, even worse, having doubts about what they're fighting for –a very difficult thing to go through, and of course, living in fear of your loved ones’ life.  Once home, the battle has only been half-won. Some never fully come home.  They are there physically, but gone mentally, sometimes forever.  These are just some of the many things that service members and their families endure.  Even though I am on my way back to deploying again, I have been very fortunate to be able to go home every night for the past four years (it has made me feel quite guilty to be honest), but there are literally hundreds of thousands that are going through everything I just mentioned right at this moment.  Regardless of where you and I stand in this, there is absolutely no denying that this is some tough stuff for any human being to go through.  I just thought that hearing "Army Reserve" will be much appreciated by everyone at the show.  Especially by (I’m sure) the thousands of people who have or are currently going through these arduous events, along with the astounding amount of military suppoters in this community.  Most importantly, I am requesting this song for the families who will forever have an empty chair.  They are some of the strongest people I know. 

Finally, if this is granted, I ask you all to please make Fenway roar. One time for the troops and their families.

Please and thank you, 
    Alex

I hope you get it... Great song that they don't play enough 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    hope we are heard..'how loud can silence get"?
  • Options
    Stumbled upon THE Iwo Jima flag this past weekend.  Goosebumps were in full effect. 

Bump.  AR4T
    Man, that is indeed chilling. But very beautiful at the same time. It's incredible what that generation of young people, now known as "The Greatest Generation", were able to accomplish. Imaging fighting two huge wars at once - and winning both! And, the U.S. did not start either conflict - we were attacked first by Japan! I'm concerned that the last couple of generations have not been taught what a huge sacrifice that generation made for us. Thankfully, our current generation of military members are carrying on that same tradition, just as bravely. 
  • Options
    shecky said:

Bump.  AR4T
    Man, that is indeed chilling. But very beautiful at the same time. It's incredible what that generation of young people, now known as "The Greatest Generation", were able to accomplish. Imaging fighting two huge wars at once - and winning both! And, the U.S. did not start either conflict - we were attacked first by Japan! I'm concerned that the last couple of generations have not been taught what a huge sacrifice that generation made for us. Thankfully, our current generation of military members are carrying on that same tradition, just as bravely. 
    Thanks for the kind words. Definitely just stood there for a few minutes and soaked it all in
  • Options
    shecky said:

Bump.  AR4T
    Thanks for the kind words. Definitely just stood there for a few minutes and soaked it all in
    To the top for our Troops, please!
  • Options
    Closer and closer to Fenway.  Got wayyyy better seats from the release today! Thanks, 10C! Thanks, PJ! And thanks to @elwayvedder for the heads up in the middle of a whirlwind kinda day for my girlfriend and I. Wouldn't have these amazing seats otherwise. We needed some positive today.  Super excited!!! 
  • Options
    Up
  • Options
    hope we are heard..'how loud can silence get"?
    VERY loud
  • Options
    BigReddBigRedd Posts: 49

Please play this!
  • Options
    Hear, hear!

• Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    To the top 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    MF658872MF658872 Posts: 247
    Bump
    Philly 1 2016                     
    EV New York 2016            
    TOTD Philly 2 2016 
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2017 
    Boston 1 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    EV New York 1 & 2 2022
    Berlin 2022
    Frankfurt 2022
    New York 2022
  • Options
    BigRedd said:

Please play this!
    Beautiful 
  • Options
    Pearl Jam, please show your support for our Troops and their families. Thank you!
  • Options
    2 days
  • Options
    On to my 8-hour journey to Boston bump
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Up 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Land of the free because of the brave...let's do this
  • Options
    Let's gooooo
  • Options
    Soundchecked!  Let’s go!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    It’s gonna happen! Great post 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Hung out with a buddy stationed in Maine and he dropped us off at Fenway in the middle of Patriot and just missed the Army Reserve soundcheck.  Still super stoked after learning about it
  • Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU (in advance) for this hope
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    edited September 2018
    I really hope you get it because it is a great song live.  Thank you for your service.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    Pearl Jam and Fans,

I want to start by saying this request is not for me personally, but more for our troops, their families, and perhaps raise some awareness for the rest. I know, I know… some here has pointed-out in the past that I am in the military.  I am not here to give myself a high-five, but here to ask for some of your time.

First, please allow me to share what the song “Army Reserve” has done for me:  I've been in the military for 12 years now.  I’ve done my share of deployments, and at one point I got deployed five times in six years.  For those who know the field, that is quite a handful. Despite some very challenging times overseas, my most difficult duties were while I was in South Jersey.  I was stationed there for a bit more than three years and during that time, one of my duties is to be the guy dressed to the nines knocking on people's doors to tell them their child/husband/wife/dad/mom/etc who's a service member will not be coming home alive. It fucked me up a bit and it still messes with me from time to time.  I never really talked to anyone about this, and even the people closest to me either don't know I did that, or don't know any details about that job, because I feel like it is better for everybody that way.  Another duty I had in those three years was to render honors to deceased veterans. Which wasn't as emotionally taxing if we just rolled-in, played Taps, folded the US flag, gave the Next-of-Kin a salute, and rolled-out.  However, most of the time, we ended-up sitting there, listening to the stories about these heroes, and somewhat get attached. That hour difference makes it much harder for me to look someone in the eye, and try to show no emotion as I hand over a flag that his/her loved one fought for.  I have seen a plethora of grief and I could not avoid thinking about what the family of these service members has gone through or is going through.  “Army Reserve” has always been a good venting song for me whenever I hear it or choose to play it.  The song allows me to just breathe and push-out the tears that I somehow managed to hold back in front of these families; somewhat a healing song.

Now that I’ve expressed what the song means to me, on to the request:  I am requesting this song for our deployed troops, the vets who’ve been there and done that, and of course, their very strong families who hold it down at home.  “Army Reserve” I think perfectly portrays what families and service members go through during deployments.  The stress of being apart, joining family events through email or Skype (if you even get the chance), coming home to a seven-month-old baby who you last saw through an ultrasound, the family feeling the need to justify to eveyone why the service member continues to do what they do, even worse, having doubts about what they're fighting for –a very difficult thing to go through, and of course, living in fear of your loved ones’ life.  Once home, the battle has only been half-won. Some never fully come home.  They are there physically, but gone mentally, sometimes forever.  These are just some of the many things that service members and their families endure.  Even though I am on my way back to deploying again, I have been very fortunate to be able to go home every night for the past four years (it has made me feel quite guilty to be honest), but there are literally hundreds of thousands that are going through everything I just mentioned right at this moment.  Regardless of where you and I stand in this, there is absolutely no denying that this is some tough stuff for any human being to go through.  I just thought that hearing "Army Reserve" will be much appreciated by everyone at the show.  Especially by (I’m sure) the thousands of people who have or are currently going through these arduous events, along with the astounding amount of military suppoters in this community.  Most importantly, I am requesting this song for the families who will forever have an empty chair.  They are some of the strongest people I know. 

Finally, if this is granted, I ask you all to please make Fenway roar. One time for the troops and their families.

Please and thank you, 
    Alex

Absolutely incredible post. Wow. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    I really hope you get it because it is a great song live.  Thank you for your service.  
    Thanks for your support! Will be an amazing night regardless!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks for your support! Will be an amazing night regardless!
    What bases were you stationed at in nj? Dix? McGwire?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......