Options

A little help for a friend with ALS

Hello Pearl Jam Family,

I'm a long time ten club member and a fan since the beginning.  I haven't posted much to the forum in the past, but do check in and keep up on everything PJ related.  I'm here to ask a favor of the community.

My dear friend and fellow PJ fan Derek was diagnosed with ALS over a year ago.  He's 43 and a father of 3 and the progression of the disease has been quick.  It breaks my heart to see this disease take so much from him.  He's an amazing person and doesn't let this stop his positive outlook on life and he is an inspiration to me.  In positive news, he's currently well enough to make the trip to Fenway night 1 with his wife and I bought them accessible seats that will make the night a little easier.  I'll be there helping them get to their amazing seats that are wheelchair accessible (thank you to Live Nation for helping him get seats in Turf A2!).  This show will most likely be his last seeing the band and a well deserved night away for him and his wife.  I had one request and was really hoping the band could open with Release and dedicate it to Derek, as its his favorite song and his night to release from everything.  I've seen posts like this in the past get some traction and make it to the band and hoping Derek's PJ family can help do that here.  THANK YOU for reading this and for any support you can give.

If you care to read more about this amazing person, Derek and his wife they've started a blog  https://www.standblu.com/  You can read more and if you're so inclined you can make a donation to help them cover medical cost.  They're being burdened with hundreds of thousands in medical bills, a move to an accessible house, and a family that will lose their father too soon.  Thank you for considering this and reading about my friend.

All the best to the PJ community and thanks in advance for your support.  See you at Fenway.

Chris Pelletier

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,734
    edited August 2018
    Release for Derek. 43 is way too young. Hope he is able to enjoy the night and whatever time he has left with his family.  Fuck ALS
  • Options
    BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    E_99,
    I FULLY support a Release opener N1 at Fenway foe your friend. 

Sending you a PM now.  

My father has ALS diangnosed in 2016.  I requested SMILE in Chicago... which they did play.  

Whether they saw my message or it was simply a coincidence I'll never know.  A release opener for your friend would be incredible.

I'm like a tab
  • Options
    BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    Got an email back from Team Gleason.
    Steve's wife Michel got my email and read  Chris' message about Derek...

Not 100% that it will happen, but at least we've got an inside voice.  
    I'm like a tab