Trophy Hunting

Comments

• Big game trophy hunter (junior) looking like a pure athlete:

Man would he be tuff. The way he kills exotic animals. Mutiltes them. And just his very impressive physique.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sadly all hunting is government sanctioned ... trophy hunters are despicable human beings.  Subsistence hunters are fine...
    Not all hunting. Tons of illegal hunting goes on all over the place. But yeah, all trophy hunters are rotten to the core as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree that subsistence hunters can be fine, but it still depends on their methods, and I think that it's just as sick for them glorify their act of killing and to desecrate the animal by taking happy photos with their corpses. Subsistence hunters who actually do it humanely and respectfully are okay for me.
    Subsistence hunters that hunt ethically and respect the animal and use every part of the animal for their subsistence lifestyle is ok with me.  I absolutely admire people who live the subsistence lifestyle.  They are far smarter than the rest of society.  They can easily survive on their own.  The whole problem anymore is people are becoming to dependent on help  from the government and the government is to dependent on taxpayers....
    Is it still none of our business where you live, with you always in the AMT? I would love to know, because where someone lives actually has an impact when it comes to political conversations. The reason I ask right now is because I'm wondering where you are located to be surrounded by so many subsistence hunters who also live a completely subsistence lifestyle, off the grid, apparently, if they aren't relying on government, who you know well enough to make such statements. You must live out in the middle of nowhere.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sadly all hunting is government sanctioned ... trophy hunters are despicable human beings.  Subsistence hunters are fine...
    Not all hunting. Tons of illegal hunting goes on all over the place. But yeah, all trophy hunters are rotten to the core as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree that subsistence hunters can be fine, but it still depends on their methods, and I think that it's just as sick for them glorify their act of killing and to desecrate the animal by taking happy photos with their corpses. Subsistence hunters who actually do it humanely and respectfully are okay for me.
    Subsistence hunters that hunt ethically and respect the animal and use every part of the animal for their subsistence lifestyle is ok with me.  I absolutely admire people who live the subsistence lifestyle.  They are far smarter than the rest of society.  They can easily survive on their own.  The whole problem anymore is people are becoming to dependent on help  from the government and the government is to dependent on taxpayers....
    Is it still none of our business where you live, with you always in the AMT? I would love to know, because where someone lives actually has an impact when it comes to political conversations. The reason I ask right now is because I'm wondering where you are located to be surrounded by so many subsistence hunters who also live a completely subsistence lifestyle, off the grid, apparently, if they aren't relying on government, who you know well enough to make such statements. You must live out in the middle of nowhere.

Please post my quote where I said I was surrounded by people who are subsistence hunters who completely I've off the grid?  Or is this what more millennials do make up bullshit.  I have worked with hunters who do not buy their meat at the grocery store.  Is that a hard concept for you to understand?  Please, help me understand what part of people who hunt are doing to fill their freezer?  Most people I know who hunt can not afford to get in the trophy hunting game...and taxidermist are not cheap...

By the way I live in Southwestern, Ontario ... In 5 minutes I can be in farm country.  Just because Vancouver and area apparently has no where hunt doesn't mean there are not plenty of places to enjoy their lifestyle.  Canada's is much more rural than apparently you can grasp.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Canada allows trophy hunting as well ...

There are guidelines and rules to follow after harvesting the animal, but you are free to take it to taxidermist and have them mount the animal.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Canada allows trophy hunting as well ...

There are guidelines and rules to follow after harvesting the animal, but you are free to take it to taxidermist and have them mount the animal.  
    Yah they do. And it's a morbid practice in my opinion.
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Please post my quote where I said I was surrounded by people who are subsistence hunters who completely I've off the grid?  Or is this what more millennials do make up bullshit.  I have worked with hunters who do not buy their meat at the grocery store.  Is that a hard concept for you to understand?  Please, help me understand what part of people who hunt are doing to fill their freezer?  Most people I know who hunt can not afford to get in the trophy hunting game...and taxidermist are not cheap...

By the way I live in Southwestern, Ontario ... In 5 minutes I can be in farm country.  Just because Vancouver and area apparently has no where hunt doesn't mean there are not plenty of places to enjoy their lifestyle.  Canada's is much more rural than apparently you can grasp.
    You didn't say it, but if you can say that they are far smarter than the rest of us, I just assumed you must know them.... I guess not.

There are places to hunt near Vancouver, and there are hunters who live here, and we're very close to rural areas. I don't know why you said that. I have spent loads of time in rural areas. I also don't know why you said that... Nothing I've said indicates that I'm unfamiliar with rural life. :confused: Have you never been to the Vancouver area? The region isn't what you seem to think it is.
    Hell, one time I went down into my underground parking lot and found the Russian neighbors skinning a deer they had just shot hung from a pipe on the ceiling. :lol: It was fucking weird, but that shows how close we are to areas where you can hunt.
    But anyway, what's that got to do with people with subsistence lifestyles? There aren't very many people like that at all, and those who are like that live a lot farther than 5 minutes out of town.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited August 2018
    Big game trophy hunter (junior) looking like a pure athlete:

Man would he be tuff. The way he kills exotic animals. Mutiltes them. And just his very impressive physique.
    The dudes on the far left and far right look like they have broom handles stuck up their butts.  Just sayin'!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

"We suck at standing" :rofl:
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

Don Jr:  Ok, thrust hips and gut forward, droop 'shoulders' down and back as much as possible and display my pecs (moobs).

Don Sr:  Ok, Ass back, thrust chest forwad, try to lean forward as much as possible making my fat gut appear smaller.

Eric:  Strike a pose

Ivanka:  Was I adopted?
  • Smellyman said:

Don Jr:  Ok, thrust hips and gut forward, droop 'shoulders' down and back as much as possible and display my pecs (moobs).

Don Sr:  Ok, Ass back, thrust chest forwad, try to lean forward as much as possible making my fat gut appear smaller.

Eric:  Strike a pose

Ivanka:  Was I adopted?
    Lol

It kind of looks like the camera caught Donald ripping one.

What a bunch of dorks.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Del, explain  Canadian trophy hunting to me.  I have an image in my head but I don’t think it is right. Are we talking about “hunting preserves” where you can shoot exotic animals?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:

Del, explain  Canadian trophy hunting to me.  I have an image in my head but I don’t think it is right. Are we talking about “hunting preserves” where you can shoot exotic animals?

Maybe the question is only for TBU, but if not, no, it isn't hunting preserves and it isn't what I would call exotics. It's hunting for grizzly (now banned in BC but up until recently available), or moose, black bear, mountain goat and the like, out in natural habitat. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:

Maybe the question is only for TBU, but if not, no, it isn't hunting preserves and it isn't what I would call exotics. It's hunting for grizzly (now banned in BC but up until recently available), or moose, black bear, mountain goat and the like, out in natural habitat. 
    Oh so bigger animals in your eyes?i m surprised moose, black bear and mountain goats made your list.    Why the ban on grizzlies? Declining numbers?  
  • mcgruff10 said:

This answers your question, Scruffy (grizzlies in particular).
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh so bigger animals in your eyes?i m surprised moose, black bear and mountain goats made your list.    Why the ban on grizzlies? Declining numbers?  
    Bigger animals? Well, yes; you don't see too many trophy moles. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited August 2018
    Why kill any large wild animal?  Why are we even debating this? 

Fuck.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mcgruff10 said:

Ok then I am a ok with hunting goats, black bears, and moose.  Trophy hunting was a way different definition in my head. Might have to reread this thread.  
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Big animals also have very low birth rates, long gestation and long time taking care of young.  Hunting them decimates populations
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Bigger animals? Well, yes; you don't see too many trophy moles. 
    Well I could catch a “trophy” brook trout, it is all relative.   I was thinking of trophy as in the biggest in the respected species.  A “trophy” fluke is gonna way a hell of a lot less than a “trophy” striper.  I always let the big guys go when fishing or hunting.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ok then I am a ok with hunting goats, black bears, and moose.  Trophy hunting was a way different definition in my head. Might have to reread this thread.  
    Black bears can be trophies. If people aren't eating them... then they're trophies.

Honestly, I don't know anyone that hunts black bears for their tasty meat. Typically, they shoot them for pepperoni and photos. That's not enough of a reason to kill the animal.
    I'm with these guys:

So besides coming here and whining about something you do not like ... what are any of you doing to actively stop trophy?  And I don't consider giving to a charity as doing anything other than line the pockets of charities.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Who is whining meltdown?

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    So besides coming here and whining about something you do not like ... what are any of you doing to actively stop trophy?  And I don't consider giving to a charity as doing anything other than line the pockets of charities.  
    Strange post. What do you suggest people do to stop trophy hunters? I'm sure the people "whining" don't buy the trophies, and don't hunt the trophies. Citizens can make noise and lobby their congress people, can give to charitable groups which have more reach and lobbying power, write editorials (which you'd consider whining), educate people on social media (which you'd consider whining), etc... Are you suggesting something more drastic like shooting trophy hunters? 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    I think before anyone answers this question you might want to answer this:

Which of these have you done?:

Made regular contributions to activist organizations that you researched in order to know as best a s possible that they spend most of there money on activism and not on internal  bureaucracy (Sea Shepherd's vs Greenpeace for example.  Sea Shepherd spend the vast majority of their donations on activist campaigns, Greenpeace spends a majority of theirs on themselves.  Please consider this before dismissing and provoking others regarding ALL fund raising as useless.)

On numerous occasions, called and written letters to your representative regarding issues that concern you.

Never missed an opportunity to vote.

Organized a public rally to raise awareness about an issue that concerns you.

Disseminated information about issues that concern you by way of letters email, Facebook posts, and phone calls.

If you have done all of these things, you might have reason to criticize others who haven't although I think there are better ways to inspire people other than calling them whiners.  And yes, I have done all of the above and more. 

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Well I for one am going trophy hunter hunting in africa over the weekend.  Wish me luck!  I have a spot picked out over my mantle.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Well I for one am going trophy hunter hunting in africa over the weekend.  Wish me luck!  I have a spot picked out over my mantle.
    Which politicians head are you hoping to display up there?  :skull::lol:

But we have no control.  That's up to the provinces.  I'm not sure what role the federal government has.  I agree trophy hunting is wrong.  How would you even begin to ban the practice.  In Ontario the MNR has enough problems enforcing the regulation now.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    jeffbr said:
    Strange post. What do you suggest people do to stop trophy hunters? I'm sure the people "whining" don't buy the trophies, and don't hunt the trophies. Citizens can make noise and lobby their congress people, can give to charitable groups which have more reach and lobbying power, write editorials (which you'd consider whining), educate people on social media (which you'd consider whining), etc... Are you suggesting something more drastic like shooting trophy hunters? 
    What I mean are any of you actively involved in some sort of campaign/petition signing that goes to state legislators to let them know that X amount of people do not like this activity to continue?  Vote for politicians at all level of governments who openly oppose this practice?  

Actually trying to get the laws changed.

I know I'm not.  The county I live in is 50% rural, 50% urban ... no politician is going to openly oppose trophy hunting.  At least, not the trophy hunting that takes place in Ontario.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    You should went Yellowknife, NWT, Canada a few weeks back ... the trump boys were there trophy hunting ...
    Give Peas A Chance…