The Ocean. Fishing & Whaling. Sustainable? Illegal? Over fished?

12345679»

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    PJPOWER said:
    If it were between a whale...and tofu...I just don’t know man...

That's the problem with people
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

Well now that's a good point.  There's nothing more blood curdling than the scream of  dying tofu!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:

That's the problem with people
    What, that they have palletes?  That they make jokes...(kind of)?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    You should see what happens to chickens that hardly gets reported...

The chickens sure aren't reporting it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • You should see what happens to chickens that hardly gets reported...

Most people I know are aware of chicken processing plants- an absolutely f**king horrific ordeal for the birds. Pigs have it really shitty too. So do cows for that matter.

The cruelty and insensitivity on the part of workers at those processing plants is shocking.

I'm repeating myself, but our household buys free range eggs and free range chickens (like all other meats). I'm not boasting- I would be a much better man if I said we ate no meat at all; however, I am what I am. Protein is good for me and I'm part of the cycle of life that (through intricate means) sits atop the food chain.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,959

Most people I know are aware of chicken processing plants- an absolutely f**king horrific ordeal for the birds. Pigs have it really shitty too. So do cows for that matter.

The cruelty and insensitivity on the part of workers at those processing plants is shocking.

I'm repeating myself, but our household buys free range eggs and free range chickens (like all other meats). I'm not boasting- I would be a much better man if I said we ate no meat at all; however, I am what I am. Protein is good for me and I'm part of the cycle of life that (through intricate means) sits atop the food chain.
    Actually I wasn't even thinking of that.  Most of the country would never even know that such a thing existed but we here in NY do.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/nyregion/a-raw-deal-for-chickens-as-jews-atone-for-sins.html
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited August 2018

Yup, I accept that we're part of that food chain, and do believe that humans should include animal protein in their diets for optimal nutrition. But of course I support humane treatment of animals in the food industry (and any other industry). I'm no Mother Teresa for animal rights clearly, but I firmly believe that society must do much better. I wish more politicians would make it a bigger issue so that people could vote for those who intend to toughen up laws regarding this.

As far as whales go.... because of their proven emotional intelligence and general intelligence, I literally feel that slaughtering them is as bad as slaughtering people. Same with elephants and some primates. Yes, I "rank" animals and whether or not people should kill them based on their intelligence levels. People can hate that if they want, but it makes sense to me. And it doesn't mean I think some animals that we do consume more deserve to be killed humanely than others. All animals used in the food industry should be raised and killed humanely. Period. It's fucked up that governments don't do more about this, and that society doesn't do more to demand it of government.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

Yup, I accept that we're part of that food chain, and do believe that humans should include animal protein in their diets for optimal nutrition. But of course I support humane treatment of animals in the food industry (and any other industry). I'm no Mother Teresa for animal rights clearly, but I firmly believe that society must do much better. I wish more politicians would make it a bigger issue so that people could vote for those who intend to toughen up laws regarding this.

As far as whales go.... because of their proven emotional intelligence and general intelligence, I literally feel that slaughtering them is as bad as slaughtering people. Same with elephants and some primates. Yes, I "rank" animals and whether or not people should kill them based on their intelligence levels. People can hate that if they want, but it makes sense to me. And it doesn't mean I think some animals that we do consume more deserve to be killed humanely than others. All animals used in the food industry should be raised and killed humanely. Period. It's fucked up that governments don't do more about this, and that society doesn't do more to demand it of government.
    government cares about what the people care about. and unfortunately, a very small minority of people care how their food is treated prior to bludgeoning/throat-slitting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

government cares about what the people care about. and unfortunately, a very small minority of people care how their food is treated prior to bludgeoning/throat-slitting. 
    I actually don't think it's a very small minority at all. I think the majority of people actually would say they do care about this; they just live with the status quo because there isn't an obvious solution in front of them. I think sometimes the voting public really does need a politician to champion a cause before people move something that already care about to something they are actually going to actively support via politics. The general public is fucking apathetic as a group, and really do sometimes need a leader to get their engines started or to drill some reality into their brains, even with serious issues. I think voters tend to be like this most when it comes to comfort, convenience, and things that might make something more expensive, which is the case with this issue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually don't think it's a very small minority at all. I think the majority of people actually would say they do care about this; they just live with the status quo because there isn't an obvious solution in front of them. I think sometimes the voting public really does need a politician to champion a cause before people move something that already care about to something they are actually going to actively support via politics. The general public is fucking apathetic as a group, and really do sometimes need a leader to get their engines started or to drill some reality into their brains, even with serious issues. I think voters tend to be like this most when it comes to comfort, convenience, and things that might make something more expensive, which is the case with this issue.
    when I said "care", I meant care enough to act on it. I care, but do I forgo a nice steak or a delicious burger? No, I don't. Would I back a politican if he took up the cause of humane treatment of animals? Maybe, but that also depends on the rest of his platform. Not many people are going to back a politician on that item alone, or as their main voting point. not nationally, anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and look at what is happening in Canada. many politicians are taking up the cause of Aboriginal reconciliation, but I still don't see much support for it from the general public. People just don't give a shit if it doesn't affect them personally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

when I said "care", I meant care enough to act on it. I care, but do I forgo a nice steak or a delicious burger? No, I don't. Would I back a politican if he took up the cause of humane treatment of animals? Maybe, but that also depends on the rest of his platform. Not many people are going to back a politician on that item alone, or as their main voting point. not nationally, anyway. 
    Kay, but making it a main point of his platform (among others) would work for any party I think. The only ones who would oppose it would likely be the meat industry, because it is cheaper to torture animals... But I think even those who are hugely behind the meat industry could easily go for someone with this in his platform. Hey, it would be great if all parties just took it up, and it would become bad for a politician not to, because the support for it would largely be bipartisan IMO. So I just saying that yes, I think politicians need to pick this up and do something to make change, and the voters will like it. Whoever happens to win could still use it as an "I'm so great" point, if they actually did things to make things happen and not just blab about it during a campaign. Win-win.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    People already have the option to buy free range and more humanely treated animal products, but the average consumer shops on price and these items are more expensive. It’s really the buying public that puts the pressure on business, and in this case people are already voting, with their wallets, and the vote is not in favour of the more humane practices. I doubt any politician who made this a major focus of their platform would get much traction. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    People already have the option to buy free range and more humanely treated animal products, but the average consumer shops on price and these items are more expensive. It’s really the buying public that puts the pressure on business, and in this case people are already voting, with their wallets, and the vote is not in favour of the more humane practices. I doubt any politician who made this a major focus of their platform would get much traction. 
    You got that right it’s all about feeding masses..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

You got that right it’s all about feeding masses..
    Yeah, I agree too.  Politicians don't car because the voters don't demand it.  The average person doesn't know better or care for a number of reasons including:

Not being educated about the harm to animals and the planet.
    Selfish (a lot of people don't care if animals are miserable and the planet is going to hell.)
    Lazy (easier to eat road kill at McDonalds than to do some simple food prep at home or even buy pre-made healthy food when in a hurry).
    To cheap  to pay more for humanely treated animal products.
    Not willing to pay more for humanely treated animal products and make up the extra cost by eating more vegetarian (and they would save money on health care by eating more healthy).
    Because they think eating more vegetarian or humanely treated animal products is a trend or P.C. and they don't like that when actually it should have nothing to do with either of those.

I'm not trying to brow beat people into changing their eating habits.  It's more about what's best for everyone- people, animals, the planet-  in the long run.  A lot of people just don't know about this kind of thing because their parents and/ or teachers don't know.  More and better education is the kindest way to make these changes happen. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,825

Actually I wasn't even thinking of that.  Most of the country would never even know that such a thing existed but we here in NY do.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/nyregion/a-raw-deal-for-chickens-as-jews-atone-for-sins.html
    What the fuck are they doing. They really believe the sins transfer to a chicken.  That's some fucked up shit.  But my view on religion is just that
     Fucked up shit 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I'm looking forward to (affordable) lab grown meat that is as good as regular meat. It can't come soon enough.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

Judge says it's cool though.  Slaughter away.
    It's absolutely disgusting that this "tradition" carries on still in the 21st century:

• brianlux said:
    It's absolutely disgusting that this "tradition" carries on still in the 21st century:

A frolicking frenzy of fun!

Fun for all.
  • brianlux said:

Certain Traditions need to die.  This is one of them.

Why/how a country that is very forward in thinking can backslide to this archaic ritual.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    brianlux said:

I want to puke, that is disgusting.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I year ya, McG.  Sorry for the graphic pic.  It really does "says it all" though.  These people are worse than barbarians.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I year ya, McG.  Sorry for the graphic pic.  It really does "says it all" though.  These people are worse than barbarians.
    They lure them into the bay somehow then slaughter them. That is messed up. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Yes they are.

The one link I visited had them laughing and frolicking about in the blood as they rammed their poles into the blowholes of the whales and dolphins... and severing their spines at the head with lances. They were really enthusiastic with their chores.

A massive tidal wave in their general direction wouldn't bother me a bit.
    Here's a shout out to those brave Sea Shepherd warriors who go out to the Faroes every year to try to stop the butchery.  They have little success due to arrests, but at least make an effort.

INCLUDES SOME GRAPHIC AND UNSETTLING IMAGES:

Japan is making an all-out effort to reverse laws against illegal whaling (which they have been doing despite the laws):

Please make you voice heard:

Thanks!