Options

Eating Paleo

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    "a worthy example for your kids". wow. just wow. that just blows me away.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited February 2015
    HFD...I hope you saw what he wrote to you. I believe it came from a kind place, without judgment.

(not meant to speak for you, rr - just needed to speak to this)

Anyway, I think you're both decent men.

Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited February 2015
    I ate 7 chocolate chip cookies today.
    Where's the bug-eyed smiley face when you need it?
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

HFD...I hope you saw what he wrote to you. I believe it came from a kind place, without judgment.

(not meant to speak for you, rr - just needed to speak to this)

Anyway, I think you're both decent men.

Thanks Hedo.
    your correct,I in no way was passing judgement.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Wow Hugh.Dude you need to get it together for your health and to set a worthy example for your kids.

I am just in awe of this sweeping judgement. how fucking dare you.

did you read my prior post?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Wow Hugh.Dude you need to get it together for your health and to set a worthy example for your kids.

I am just in awe of this sweeping judgement. how fucking dare you.

did you read my prior post?
    I did not see it until now. But the effect of the original post remains the same, regardless of the backtracking.

carry on.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    rr165892 said:

No Riotgrl I have not.Whats the basis?

It is focused on eating non-processed foods with huge emphasis on consuming the entire animal. Lots of bone broths, eating organ meats, and consuming healthy fats. The use of fermented foods is another biggie. It is different than Paleo because it encourages eating legumes, nuts, etc. but that they are properly soaked to break them down prior to eating. It has been a life changer for my health!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

It is focused on eating non-processed foods with huge emphasis on consuming the entire animal. Lots of bone broths, eating organ meats, and consuming healthy fats. The use of fermented foods is another biggie. It is different than Paleo because it encourages eating legumes, nuts, etc. but that they are properly soaked to break them down prior to eating. It has been a life changer for my health!
    I hope you know that you shouldn't eat brains AT ALL! Prions are about as insidious as it gets, and eating brain or spinal tissue is the only way you are likely to contract a Spongiform Encephalopathy.
    Diets high in offal can also precipitate gout, and those who are sensitive to uric acid should avoid offal entirely.

I did a google search on "eating organ meat" and the top results were all hippy-dippy pro-Paleo sites encouraging people to eat more organs. I read through a few and, while they did counter the Vitamin A problem (without properly stating the opposing viewpoint) none of them addressed prions or gout. That is very troubling to me, and a sign of pseudo-science at work.
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

I'm with you on non processed,and healthy fats.You lost me at "organ meats".I cant go there.I am aware that fermented foods in Asian diets is very good for you.Cant say I've givin them a proper trial run.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

I hope you know that you shouldn't eat brains AT ALL! Prions are about as insidious as it gets, and eating brain or spinal tissue is the only way you are likely to contract a Spongiform Encephalopathy.
    Diets high in offal can also precipitate gout, and those who are sensitive to uric acid should avoid offal entirely.

I did a google search on "eating organ meat" and the top results were all hippy-dippy pro-Paleo sites encouraging people to eat more organs. I read through a few and, while they did counter the Vitamin A problem (without properly stating the opposing viewpoint) none of them addressed prions or gout. That is very troubling to me, and a sign of pseudo-science at work.
    Most organ meats that are referenced are liver and heart. I think both of those organ meats have been eaten for a very long time and I think there are very few concerns with eating either of those organs, in moderation. In terms of sensitivity to uric acid certain legumes can cause issues within sensitive individuals as well as the consumption of organs like liver.

I think the real problem is that most people don't understand their own food sensitivities and often eat foods that are not good for them. We are each individuals and what is sensitive for you may not be for me. Eating brains is not something that I am interested in consuming but I think warning people away from all organ meats is counterproductive considering the vast majority of unhealthy foods consumed by the average American which cause a whole host or problems and illnesses.

I would also say that I, personally, would never consume any organ meat from a factory farm. I would, and have, consumed the organ meat of animals raised in more sustainable ways. I think the most important thing is for people to research the cost/benefit ratio of any eating style rather than just assuming that an item is healthy.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

I'm with you on non processed,and healthy fats.You lost me at "organ meats".I cant go there.I am aware that fermented foods in Asian diets is very good for you.Cant say I've givin them a proper trial run.
    I was the same way because I remember my mom fixing liver and onions as a kid and it was disgusting. But I grind my liver and add it to strongly flavored dishes like chili and spaghetti so you never even taste it.

I love kimchi! I eat it on my eggs all the time. And sauerkraut and brats, mmmm yummy!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    With you on the Brats with kraut.i forget that's a fermented food
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

Most organ meats that are referenced are liver and heart. I think both of those organ meats have been eaten for a very long time and I think there are very few concerns with eating either of those organs, in moderation. In terms of sensitivity to uric acid certain legumes can cause issues within sensitive individuals as well as the consumption of organs like liver.

I think the real problem is that most people don't understand their own food sensitivities and often eat foods that are not good for them. We are each individuals and what is sensitive for you may not be for me. Eating brains is not something that I am interested in consuming but I think warning people away from all organ meats is counterproductive considering the vast majority of unhealthy foods consumed by the average American which cause a whole host or problems and illnesses.

I would also say that I, personally, would never consume any organ meat from a factory farm. I would, and have, consumed the organ meat of animals raised in more sustainable ways. I think the most important thing is for people to research the cost/benefit ratio of any eating style rather than just assuming that an item is healthy.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest organ meat is bad for you, or should be avoided. Only meant to point out that the pro-Paleo websites don't give it a complete rundown. I am not a fan of eating styles/fad diets, they always take a kernel of truth and blow it up into a whole cornfield of "knowledge". There is no reason to exclude anything from your diet eentirely, or subsist on one category of food alone. Moderation is key and it goes both ways!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2015
    rr165892,

i was doing fabulous on this. im still the boss of vegetables, meat & fruits so that's good. what isn't good is bagels w/ cream cheese, waffles w/ aunt jemima, & a few oreo cookies from time to time. don't forget those god damn cinnamon hard candies. im pissed at myself. i am an ass.

check this -

my knees are destroyed & in a matter of hours i am having bilateral surgery, i'll wake up w/ artificial knees. (i am sure) one of the best orthopedic surgeons on the planet is my new buddy. his supreme confidence literally melts snow down to a rolling boiling where he dunks his tea bags. i plan on having a few cups

the plan is this - resetting myself in the hospital & in the physical therapy cntr. going home not eating the things i been getting into. in a month or so i'll be back to swimming & i'll be happy about that.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Chad,best of luck bud.Hope your new bionic knees make you faster.Just think,now you'll have plenty of time to comment on all threads on this site and listen to the entireAIC catalog in depth.Stay safe and heal quick.We will all be thinking some good thoughts for you.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

rr165892 said:

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest organ meat is bad for you, or should be avoided. Only meant to point out that the pro-Paleo websites don't give it a complete rundown. I am not a fan of eating styles/fad diets, they always take a kernel of truth and blow it up into a whole cornfield of "knowledge". There is no reason to exclude anything from your diet eentirely, or subsist on one category of food alone. Moderation is key and it goes both ways!
    Apologies, I misunderstood your point :) . I agree that a lot of these blogs give minimal information about benefits and risks of their diets. I don't think it is best to follow one diet because I think people should do what they can to understand the impact of these foods on their bodies. While I think some of these blogs do more harm than good it is in part because people don't take responsibility for their doing their own research.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2015
    thank you, rr & hedonist.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chadwick said:

thank you, rr.

Good thoughts that your surgery and recovery go well, chadwick. You'll be dancing the jig in no time =)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

chadwick said:

thank you, rr.

Good thoughts that your surgery and recovery go well, chadwick. You'll be dancing the jig in no time =)
    That's bringing up a strange visual.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Does eating a bus count as Paleo Diet?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Yes if it's its made completely meat
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

As in a Greyhound Bus. Got it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

As in a Greyhound Bus. Got it!

That's a whole lot of flesh big guy.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    New study shows low carb diets associated with lower life expectancy:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/low-carb-diets-higher-mortality-lancet-study-1.4790046

This paper has been widely reported so probably most have heard about it, but thought I'd post it here.

The gist of it is that both high carb (i.e. a lot of processed food) and low carb (i.e. lots of meat) diets are associated with lower life expectancy of about 4 years. A moderate carb intake that is mostly non-processed, plant-based seems to be the healthiest. Not much of a surprise there, really. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    New study shows low carb diets associated with lower life expectancy:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/low-carb-diets-higher-mortality-lancet-study-1.4790046

This paper has been widely reported so probably most have heard about it, but thought I'd post it here.

The gist of it is that both high carb (i.e. a lot of processed food) and low carb (i.e. lots of meat) diets are associated with lower life expectancy of about 4 years. A moderate carb intake that is mostly non-processed, plant-based seems to be the healthiest. Not much of a surprise there, really. 

Truly, not surprise there.

Having a small book business and having worked in various bookstores over the years, I seen every kind of food and nutrition book you can think of.  Anybody can find a book that will support what they think is the best diet- pyramid, low carb, high carb, paleo, vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian, ovo-lacto vegetarian, vegan, Ayurveda, macrobiotic, raw food, Inedia (aka, breatharian) fruitarian, pecetarian, Episcopalian and on and on.  I've often said the best way to make a lot of money is to write and get published a popular business or diet book.

Despite all the fads, I think it pretty hard to argue that a more plant based diet is healthier.