Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    Bruce/E Street?
    Yup
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,518
    Bruce/E Street?
    Can’t believe the list went that far before Bruce was mentioned. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Eagles
    go to any random bar from Asia to US probably they played hotel california
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    mace1229 said:
    What about the Beastie Boys? Not "rock" enough?
    Imagine Dragons is doing good things, yes.
    Agree that REM needs to be considered.
    Don’t like imagine dragons, don’t think they’ll ever be on a “beat of” lost of any kind.
    Although, what is really depressing, not really any other new bands that put out anything better.

Imagine Dragons is doing quite a bit as far as activism goes, and they're very popular. We're all entitled to have our likes and dislikes; I've never been a Springsteen fan, and I actively loathe the Eagles. But I respect Springsteen's influence and popularity (and people keep buying Eagles albums, for some reason). What I'm saying is, I think a good argument could be made for Imagine Dragons' inclusion on the list, although I don't think they belong at the top of it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Springtsteen/E Street, Petty/Heartbreakers (which I could as bands), The Dead and Pearl Jam. Bob Dylan is the greatest American Artist, not a challenger in my book but that's just my opinion. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    When I read the thread title, The Doors first came to mind.

And in no way should 21ImaginePilotDragonKiller be part of this conversation. Get da fuck outta here with that.
  • TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 401
    Bon Jovi just came up on my Spotify playlist....they had a good run.  ;)  But for me, PJ are right there.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Tool,  Black Crowes and STP need a mention.

Jack White would be another if we count all his projects and he’s much more of the main creative force in his bands than Cornell.

If im being objective I don’t think PJ quite cracks the top 5, but probably top 10, going by overall success, studio work, live reputation, and influence. I don’t bring activism or charity into the discussion. Nice that they do it, but doesn’t make them a better band.

Bruce
    Dead
    Petty
    CCR
    Aerosmith

....would be hard to crack that top 5

Allman’s 
    Skynyrd
    Hendrix
    Chili Pepper
  • hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    The biggest shock to me of this whole thread is how many mentions Aerosmith is getting. I just can't believe it. I'm stunned. I'd have Weezer before Aerosmith. Weezer's first 5 albums are solid straight through. They've fallen off after that but I love them. They are one of my favorite bands along with the decemberists and my morning jacket . PJ number one  Elliot Smith two. Not saying those other bands are all timers, just  my personal favorites. Deathcab too but their last two albums are garbage. 
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    I'd shit my pants if PJ covered Bob Seger's "Katmandu".....
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    CCR
    Beach Boys

Honorable mention:

REM
    Cheap Trick
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    CP218430 said:
    Springtsteen/E Street, Petty/Heartbreakers (which I could as bands), The Dead and Pearl Jam. Bob Dylan is the greatest American Artist, not a challenger in my book but that's just my opinion. 

Looks like there's pretty solid consensus around Springsteen, Petty, and the Dead. I can't argue with that (even though I'm still not a Bruce fan).

I'm not getting the CCR/ Aerosmith mentions. Look at it as the flip side of "GTFO with that 21 PIlots/ Imagine Dragons nonsense." Does anyone under 30 know who CCR is? I bet they know who Springsteen is, and they know who Petty is; they might know who Steven Tyler is, but not for the right reasons. I really only know about CCR because my parents had one of their albums, Creedence Gold, and I as a small child was fascinated by the album cover. I'm nearly fifty. I'm absolutely certain that neither of my adult children knows who CCR is -- and one of my kids is a musician.

Kind of surprising that nobody has mentioned KISS -- ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Bon Jov...............nah.
    Am I crazy when I put longevity, live shows and material?

The Doors & CCR had great runs. As did Allmann and Skynyd but a handful of albums or years just don't do enough, and they're not legendary to compare with The Beatles or Zeppelin who also had short runs. Just my opinion. Love the thread. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

Oh and relevance (aka, can they draw a crowd?)

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Aerosmith is definitely a candidate. Sure their later albums weren't anything like their first several. Just like PJ. If I were to judge PJ on just their latest few albums, they'd be nowhere near the top. Same with Aerosmith. But take into account their entire catalog, longevity, sales (both albums and tickets), etc... and it can't be denied that they should be in the conversation. Aerosmith ruled the 70's in the same way PJ ruled the 90's. We'll see if PJ is still rocking in 20 years. I think The Eagles, Seger, Allman Brothers, Springsteen are also contenders. REM is up there for me, personally. My nod goes to Petty, though. Petty is the definition of American rock and roll for me, and has been since I was a high-school kid in the 70's.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Just piggybacking of the last comment: Petty defined American rock n roll for me as a kid in the 80's. That's longevity. 

• dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    100%
    danny d
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    Black. Fucking. Crowes.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    mace1229 said:
    RobZ said:
    Forgot one of my favs......Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band 
    Seger I think is one of the most under-rated artists of all time.
    Not the greatest of all time but possibly the most over looked and I love his music.
    Seger is very good.  Great music. 
    The Doors were so short lived.  Too bad Jim fell apart as he was a talented writer. 
    Pixies are pretty good too. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    If Shannon Hoon hadn't died after only two incredible albums, I'd probably be saying Blind Melon.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    hugepjfan said:
    Aerosmith is terrible and I knew that that would be mentioned because I debate that at work with a dude all the time but you're entitled to that opinion. GD I didn't think of, good call there.fleetwood a little too short lived. Metallica is interesting. I don't like them but they have their own following.. I don't think they they  are all that involved with community and are greedy. But they are are a classic American band. Can't argue that. 
    I like Aerosmith a lot!

I'll throw out another vote for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I also think GnR fits the criteria... except the charity part?? I have no clue if they ever did stuff like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited August 2018
    CP218430 said:

Looks like there's pretty solid consensus around Springsteen, Petty, and the Dead. I can't argue with that (even though I'm still not a Bruce fan).

I'm not getting the CCR/ Aerosmith mentions. Look at it as the flip side of "GTFO with that 21 PIlots/ Imagine Dragons nonsense." Does anyone under 30 know who CCR is? I bet they know who Springsteen is, and they know who Petty is; they might know who Steven Tyler is, but not for the right reasons. I really only know about CCR because my parents had one of their albums, Creedence Gold, and I as a small child was fascinated by the album cover. I'm nearly fifty. I'm absolutely certain that neither of my adult children knows who CCR is -- and one of my kids is a musician.

Kind of surprising that nobody has mentioned KISS -- ;)
    CCR was the biggest band of their day and Fogerty still packsthe house leaning heavy on CCR material. 

Aerosmith as well and has there ever been a band with 2 separate blockbuster runs. 

To deny either shows a high level of ignorance. Aerosmith is getting ready to set up camp in Vegas and stroll through an assortment of 4 dozen stone cold classics on a nightly basis. CCR material is as vital and meaningful  now as it’s ever been.

Longevity is overrated. Most of the bands mentioned have their drawing power and influence from just a few albums and maybe a decade run at most. Something you can mention along with other achievements, but not nearly as important as peak years productivity imo. 

Has Wilco been mentioned?
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • PettyHeadPettyHead Erie, PA Posts: 128
    TPHB
    1998 -Barrie, ON
    2003 -Cleveland
    2006 -Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2007 -Lolla
    2008 -EV -Santa Cruz, PJ -DC
    2009 -EV -Baltimore I & II, PJ -Chicago I
    2010 -Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 -EV -Detroit, Bridge School I & II, PJ -Toronto
    2013 -Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - PJ - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Toronto I, Wrigley I & II, TOTD - MSG
    2017 - PJ - NYC - RRHOF Induction, EV - Nashville
    2018 - Wrigley I & II
    2022 - Hamilton, ON, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago I & II
    2024 - Baltimore
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    edited August 2018
    DewieCox said:
    Tool,  Black Crowes and STP need a mention.

Jack White would be another if we count all his projects and he’s much more of the main creative force in his bands than Cornell.

If im being objective I don’t think PJ quite cracks the top 5, but probably top 10, going by overall success, studio work, live reputation, and influence. I don’t bring activism or charity into the discussion. Nice that they do it, but doesn’t make them a better band.

Bruce
    Dead
    Petty
    CCR
    Aerosmith

....would be hard to crack that top 5

Allman’s 
    Skynyrd
    Hendrix
    Chili Pepper
    Surprised it took this long for someone to mention Jimi Hendrix. And, so far, the ONLY one. And now me.

Hendrix didn't have the longevity, obviously, but he's still influential today and will be this time in the year 3018.
  • "best" is a personal opinion and therefore i choose not to rock the vote
  • LN241653LN241653 Cambridge Posts: 163
    Rage anyone? Longevity is a no but the impact they had was huge and the music is just superb, I’d throw system of a down in their too.

bruce
    pj
    rage
    soundgarden
    black crowes
    faith no more?????
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    3 pages and not one person mentions Boston in the discussion?