Options

Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    hugepjfan said:
    RobZ said:
    Van Halen.....?????
    This could be negligence on my part but I've never listened to a van Halen album straight through  I'm 39 so they were in their prime when I was coming up. I just have no interest there. 
    Well....I'd recommend the first album "Van Halen"..... circa 1978??  And play it loud...see if ya like it. Eddie Van Halen influenced a ton of guitar palyers, Id bet McCready is one.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    RobZ said:
    hugepjfan said:
    RobZ said:
    Van Halen.....?????
    This could be negligence on my part but I've never listened to a van Halen album straight through  I'm 39 so they were in their prime when I was coming up. I just have no interest there. 
    Well....I'd recommend the first album "Van Halen"..... circa 1978??  And play it loud...see if ya like it. Eddie Van Halen influenced a ton of guitar palyers, Id bet McCready is one.
    RobZ said:
    hugepjfan said:
    RobZ said:
    Van Halen.....?????
    Will do. Is that the one Marty Mcfly played to convince George Mcfly he was an alien? 
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    I think Bruce has to be number one.  Guy can sell multiple nights in stadiums any day of the week.  Pj is definitely in the conversation but not number one. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    gettingright said: 

There’s no question PJ is the greatest rock band of this generation
    This.

It would be tough to say they are the greatest of all time, as there have been a ton of other names mentioned above already. But I would say they tick all the boxes as the greatest band of my generation.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think Bruce has to be number one.  Guy can sell multiple nights in stadiums any day of the week.  Pj is definitely in the conversation but not number one. 
    Bruce is the clear number 1.  No question in my mind.   
  • Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    Dave grohl is rock and roll through and through.  Will be a legend one day.  Right now they just kick ass and hit you right in the face at any show.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    hugepjfan said:
    Aerosmith is terrible and I knew that that would be mentioned because I debate that at work with a dude all the time but you're entitled to that opinion. GD I didn't think of, good call there.fleetwood a little too short lived. Metallica is interesting. I don't like them but they have their own following.. I don't think they they  are all that involved with community and are greedy. But they are are a classic American band. Can't argue that. 
    I don’t think you can say Fleetwood Mac is short lived as they’ve been around since the 60s. But I think the fact that they started out as a British blues band, and still have 3 British members (and a New Zealander) rule them out  
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    For the millennials out there... Some modern rock bands needs to be mentioned. Linkin Park is the first to come to mind. Shit, imagine dragons don't have the longevity but have stormed onto the scene. Don't forget the new guys. 21 pilots really entertain me. Not greatest ever but honorable mention. Time will tell. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    hugepjfan said:
    Aerosmith is terrible and I knew that that would be mentioned because I debate that at work with a dude all the time but you're entitled to that opinion. GD I didn't think of, good call there.fleetwood a little too short lived. Metallica is interesting. I don't like them but they have their own following.. I don't think they they  are all that involved with community and are greedy. But they are are a classic American band. Can't argue that. 
    I don’t think you can say Fleetwood Mac is short lived as they’ve been around since the 60s. But I think the fact that they started out as a British blues band, and still have 3 British members (and a New Zealander) rule them out  
    Understood. 
    HugePJFan
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    rummy said:
    I'm probably gonna take A LOT of heat for this nomination but Green Day has done very well for themselves.
    I teach high school and they are nearly as popular as when I was in high school. I’m over them, but they’re still attracting new fans and have kept it going. So I think it’s fair to toss them out there. 
    Not bad for a 3 chord band...
  • Options
    Tully305Tully305 Posts: 102
    Beach Boys
    Doors
    Creedance Clearwater Revival
    Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
    Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
    Aerosmith
    Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Van Halen
    Guns n Roses
    Pittsburgh ('00), Cleveland ('03), Pittsburgh ('03), Grand Rapids ('04), Cleveland ('06), Pittsburgh ('06), Chicago ('07), West Palm Beach ('08), Tampa ('08), Chicago (both nights) ('09), Seattle (both nights) ('09), Philly (all 4 nights) ('09), Noblesville ('10), Columbus ('10), Cleveland ('10), Toronto (both nights) ('11), Wrigley ('13), Pittsburgh ('13), Wrigley (both nights) ('18)
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    Oh man that would really be amazing!
  • Options
    REM / BRUCE / NIRVANA / PJ / METALLICA
    2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I’d shit my pants ifPJ covered Bob Seger’s Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser live version
    You’d probably have better luck if you reverse that order. Start a request thread that says “I’ve shit my pants, now please cover Traveling Man/BL”
  • Options
    Tully305Tully305 Posts: 102
    REM / BRUCE / NIRVANA / PJ / METALLICA
    REM...can't believe I forgot about them
    Pittsburgh ('00), Cleveland ('03), Pittsburgh ('03), Grand Rapids ('04), Cleveland ('06), Pittsburgh ('06), Chicago ('07), West Palm Beach ('08), Tampa ('08), Chicago (both nights) ('09), Seattle (both nights) ('09), Philly (all 4 nights) ('09), Noblesville ('10), Columbus ('10), Cleveland ('10), Toronto (both nights) ('11), Wrigley ('13), Pittsburgh ('13), Wrigley (both nights) ('18)
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,133
    R.E.M. and another favorite although not as well known, Drive By Truckers
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    edited August 2018
    The Ramones should make the list
    Post edited by ed243421 on
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Do the Chili Peppers get any consideration?
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Bob Dylan and The Band...Before The Flood (in particular).
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Tully305 said:
    Beach Boys
    Doors
    Creedance Clearwater Revival
    Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
    Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
    Aerosmith
    Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Van Halen
    Guns n Roses
    I think this is a pretty good list.  I could add a few but I think that is good.
    I love Pearl Jam and all, but I don't see them as the greatest American rock band 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    Best of their generation.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,340
    edited August 2018
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band....large gap....everyone else (not including Pearl Jam, of course).
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,247
    What about the Beastie Boys? Not "rock" enough?
    Imagine Dragons is doing good things, yes.
    Agree that REM needs to be considered.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,247
    Johnny Cash....

I guess it comes down to factors such as: How are you defining "rock"? Does a solo artist count? Which criteria are you weighting most heavily?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    RobZ said:
    Forgot one of my favs......Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band 
    Absolutely 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    edited August 2018
    jefft said:
    Dave grohl is rock and roll through and through.  Will be a legend one day.  Right now they just kick ass and hit you right in the face at any show.
    Yes but their biggest hits aren't anthems or legendary. great band. great live but not in the conversation.

1 - Bruce and the E Street Band
    2 - Pearl Jam
    3 - Metallica
    4 - Tom Petty and Heartbreakers
    5 - REM
    6 - Aerosmith
    7 - The Eagles
    8 - Van Halen
    9 - Green Day
    10 - Beach Boys

Nirvana is a hard call.  One of the greatest albums of all time but how can you put on list without the longevity?

The Killers are more of an honorable mention than Imagine Dragons although seems they are fading a bit themselves.

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    What about the Beastie Boys? Not "rock" enough?
    Imagine Dragons is doing good things, yes.
    Agree that REM needs to be considered.
    Don’t like imagine dragons, don’t think they’ll ever be on a “beat of” lost of any kind.
    Although, what is really depressing, not really any other new bands that put out anything better.
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 418
    hugepjfan said:
    I'd like to entertain arguments for other American bands that surpass PJ. I don't think anything comes close but I'm biased. What are the best American bands of all time? As far as pj is concerned: Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check. 
    Haven’t read all message below but Aerosmith has to be up there. They were great back in the day
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I'm just gonna leave PJ out of the convo because if they were in it, it wouldn't be even close to fair. The only bands that stand up to them are found outside American borders.

It's Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers or Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Take your pick. E Street has the slight edge for me even though I love Tom Petty.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    I gotta admit that I never realized that Tom Petty was that big. I recall being very surprised a decade or so ago when he and his band did the Super Boel halftime show. At the time, I didn't think he merited it.

I guess I was wrong.