*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/20/18 ***

Comments

• cweeks1111cweeks1111 Posts: 148
    DPAtty said:
    shmap said:
    What a show! #33 for me and #23 for my mom. I predicted that if there was a rain delay they’d go high-intensity for the first 5-6 songs, and my god did they deliver. It’s OK, Smile -> Goat -> Leash, UGH. So good. 

Great crowd around us in Section L. Special mention to the kiddo with the Leash sign, and the dad-daughter combo right in front of us. She was maybe 10-11, knew most of the words, danced and played air guitar all night. I saw my first PJ show with my mom when I was 14, and it’s great to see this younger generation keeping it going.
    Show #3 and he's already a savvy vet, trolling Ed from Saturday's show. We tried four different days to get a train poster, to no avail, but he's got this one as a consolation prize. Thanks to all of you around us in Section L who made him feel special all night, especially when they actually played Leash. I love this band, and I love the family of people I meet at every show. My apologies if we bothered anyone holding the sign aloft.  Thanks to 10C for the seats. As for the show itself...it was smokin' with a consistent energy, unlike Saturday that seemed to be up and down. Hearing U and Come Back were highlights, and Daughter + tag was one of my all time favorite versions. And like always happens for me, I have new mental associations with old songs since the last time I could be at a show. So songs like Smile, GTF, Black, Immortality, and Lightning Bolt held new meaning, with a different listening experience. I'm driving home today, with little man sound asleep, so thankful that I still have the chance to see these guys at the peak of their musical powers, almost 20 years to the date from my first show, and to pass along my passion to my son in real time.

Loved this! We were sitting 2 rows behind you... and dad/daughter combo were right next to me... these kids rocked all night.
    east lansing, mi 1998 / auburn hills, mi 2000 / clarkston, mi 2003 / grand rapids, mi 2004 / toronto, on 2005 / auburn hills, mi 2006 / detroit, mi 2011 (ev) / chicago, il 2013 / detroit, mi 2014 / chicago, il 2016 (wrigley 1) / chicago, il 2018 (wrigley 1 & 2) / louisville, ky 2022 / las vegas, nv 2022 (ev) / noblesville, in 2023
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Did Mcgruff meet the band???
    Unfortunately no.  The "VIP Tickets" that I won through Global Citizens didn't match the hype.  I was able to access two areas that the general public could not: floor level right next to the stage (no view of the stage) and on top of the right field bleachers (again no real view of the stage).  There I was able to purchase $12 beers, $8 hot dogs and $6 waters.  
    And there was no free merch or swag bag whatsoever.  I was really bummed after hearing what the winner got in Missoula.  
    Seats were on the floor, Section N Row 13 which again I thought would have been better.

Overall fantastic show, loved the setlist, the venue and Chicago really won me over with its amazing food, sights and people.
    That's too bad, Scruff. I was sincerely hoping for an 'out of this world' experience for you.

Great show though!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unfortunately no.  The "VIP Tickets" that I won through Global Citizens didn't match the hype.  I was able to access two areas that the general public could not: floor level right next to the stage (no view of the stage) and on top of the right field bleachers (again no real view of the stage).  There I was able to purchase $12 beers, $8 hot dogs and $6 waters.  
    And there was no free merch or swag bag whatsoever.  I was really bummed after hearing what the winner got in Missoula.  
    Seats were on the floor, Section N Row 13 which again I thought would have been better.

Overall fantastic show, loved the setlist, the venue and Chicago really won me over with its amazing food, sights and people.
    Don't know what they promised you when you went for the VIP tix through Global Citizen, but as a general rule, unless the prize explicitly says you'll get a meet & greet with the band, assume you will not meet the band.  Sometimes you're lucky and you do anyway, but as a prize that's such a big deal, they market the crap out of it when it's really part of what you'll get.

Sorry you were a bit disappointed, but glad you had a good show and hopefully your money is going to a great cause.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    JTH said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Can anyone here confirm how pissed they were when MYM started after last exit? Lol. I was watching on periscope and it bummed me out! I was hoping you guys got vitalogy after that delay. But obviously, it didn’t matter because from the videos and these fanviews it was yet another killer show. 
    Yes. I can confirm. What I can confirm is that I was not pissed at all.  I would have gone absolutely bonkers if the next song after Last Exit was Spin the Black Circle, though. In hindsight, it was probably a good thing. I may have actually soiled myself.
    Mind Your Manners kicks ass live
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JH6056 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Don't know what they promised you when you went for the VIP tix through Global Citizen, but as a general rule, unless the prize explicitly says you'll get a meet & greet with the band, assume you will not meet the band.  Sometimes you're lucky and you do anyway, but as a prize that's such a big deal, they market the crap out of it when it's really part of what you'll get.

Sorry you were a bit disappointed, but glad you had a good show and hopefully your money is going to a great cause.
    Totally agree with you. I was just going on the gentleman who won the Missoula tickets.  All good.  I had a wonderful time in Chicago. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Oh what a night. Lots to echo with the high energy. I'm short, and was back in Y on the field, so was watching the screen most of the night, but LOVED the show. Never thought I'd hear U, but it sounded great! While I don't actually listen to Evil Little Goat at home, it was a super cool moment, and Ed's goat ears and noises were hilarious. Glad to see them rockin, and having some fun. 

Glad they came out up-tempo from the delay. Was better to start show late than to start/resume like in 2013. Feel for GA folks that lost their spots. 

For the clams dropped in the show, I don't think much of when Ed misses/repeats/forgets a verse. Haven't went back to listen to Evenflow yet...seemed like there were three versions going on at one point, but they came back together.

Matt kills it, but would love to get some real solo sometime :)

Thanks PJ, 10c, fellow fans for another awesome show!
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PP193448 said: no
    After the delay, we lucked out with little rain then nice.  Great show, some of positive energy from the crowd. Setlist, while not the best, had some awesome gems and some of my favorites.  U, Smile, Last Exit, In My Tree, Etc.  We got Leash and ELG!!!  Glad everyone had a good time.  Met some cool people.
    Agreed. One of these days we are gonna hang out. Wrigley has been a tuff time for me the last two times. I enjoyed texting with u during the show. I think Dirty Frank or Watchtower would've put this show over the top. As it stands they did a good job in a bad situation. "BLAME IT ON THE RAIN". LOL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Pearl Jam has always been on my concert bucket list.  When we bought the tickets earlier this year I also bought a lot of bootlegs and started listening what some might call obsessively.  Been a DMB fan for 17 years and 36 shows, never felt like I would find anything that came close to what that meant to me.  I was wrong.  Monday was my first show and I was blown away.  Of course by the music, but more by the crowd around me.  Shout out to anyone in section 218.  The DMB crowds have increasingly generated a much bigger “bro” presence and I didn’t feel any of that around me at Wrigley.  It was refreshing.  I just joined the Ten Club and this is my first post.  Happy to be here.
  • BebopRockSteadyBebopRockSteady Chicago Posts: 11
    edited August 2018
    Hello! First time poster here. Well...sort of...I posted here A LOT back in like 1999-2004. Then I stopped, and no idea what my old login info was.

I wanted to give my impressions of Monday's Wrigley show seeing how I am what one might consider a "lapsed" Pearl Jam fan. Basically between 2000-2008 I saw them 12 times including traveling to see the band on multiple occasions, was essentially a Pearl Jam fanatic, still have an unopened Benorya Hall vinyl in my closet. But around 2009, my interest fell off and life went on. 

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I got a text from an old concert buddy asking if I was going to see them at Wrigley this year. In 2016, he came to Chicago for Wrigley and he went to the show and I just met him for a few beers at the Cubby bear before heading home. Just wasn't interested. But maybe it's cause I'm more keen for a nostalgia trip these days or just interest seeing how I missed the Chicago Smashing Pumpkins shows because of work, but I said fuck it, and bought a ticket to Moday's show. Solo, even. 

I saw the Saturday set, and was very impressed. They played a lot of stuff I'd been very happy to see. So, I started digging into some old PJ boots, watching Let's Play Two!, rewatched Pearl Jam 20, and got myself psyched for the show. 

So, what are my impressions of my first real Pearl Jam show in 10 years?

It was very solid. Ed's voice sounds amazing. Like really, no idea how he manages that at his age. However, as many have already said in here they a little sloppy at times. At least sloppier than they appeared on the videos I saw of Saturday's show. Maybe it was the rain. Eddie came out with the wine, so he, like I did, probably took the weather delay to drink up.

Like many have said, he stumbled over a lot of lyrics. There was also a weird thing in In My Tree. The first chord hit after the intro was REALLY weird. I saw Ed jolt over in Stone's direction and give a look like, "What the fuck happens now?" They recovered nicely, though. Honestly, sloppiness doesn't bother me much, though. Shows that they're still human.

The opening five songs were fucking fire, though. I'm honestly not familiar with much post-Avocado, but MYM and Lightening Bolt were both pretty good live. My only complaint, which should be taken lightly, is that my favorite record of theirs is Binaural, so I would have loved to hear at least one from that record. 
    I think Saturday would have been a better time for me personally from a set perspective, but it's all gravy. 

But they seemed to be having fun, and I had such an enjoyable time it made me sign-up for the digital version of the 10Club membership for a year at least. But next time in Chicago, please play United Center (or Aragon?!). Summer Chicago weather is such a shitshow. 

Monday night probably wouldn't be anywhere in my top shows, though. My top two are Borgata I in 2005 and Vic in 2006. Nothing beats seeing PJ in a small venue. I was extremely lucky to be able to attend those.
    Post edited by BebopRockSteady on
  • Pearl Jam has always been on my concert bucket list.  When we bought the tickets earlier this year I also bought a lot of bootlegs and started listening what some might call obsessively.  Been a DMB fan for 17 years and 36 shows, never felt like I would find anything that came close to what that meant to me.  I was wrong.  Monday was my first show and I was blown away.  Of course by the music, but more by the crowd around me.  Shout out to anyone in section 218.  The DMB crowds have increasingly generated a much bigger “bro” presence and I didn’t feel any of that around me at Wrigley.  It was refreshing.  I just joined the Ten Club and this is my first post.  Happy to be here.
    Glad you finally made it. Welcome!
    Hello! First time poster here. Well...sort of...I posted here A LOT back in like 1999-2004. Then I stopped, and no idea what my old login info was.

I wanted to give my impressions of Monday's Wrigley show seeing how I am what one might consider a "lapsed" Pearl Jam fan. Basically between 2000-2008 I saw them 12 times including traveling to see the band on multiple occasions, was essentially a Pearl Jam fanatic, still have an unopened Benorya Hall vinyl in my closet. But around 2009, my interest fell off and life went on. 

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I got a text from an old concert buddy asking if I was going to see them at Wrigley this year. In 2016, he came to Chicago for Wrigley and he went to the show and I just met him for a few beers at the Cubby bear before heading home. Just wasn't interested. But maybe it's cause I'm more keen for a nostalgia trip these days or just interest seeing how I missed the Chicago Smashing Pumpkins shows because of work, but I said fuck it, and bought a ticket to Moday's show. Solo, even. 

I saw the Saturday set, and was very impressed. They played a lot of stuff I'd been very happy to see. So, I started digging into some old PJ boots, watching Let's Play Two!, rewatched Pearl Jam 20, and got myself psyched for the show. 

It was very solid. Ed's voice sounds amazing. Like really, no idea how he manages that at his age. However, as many have already said in here they a little sloppy at times. At least sloppier than they appeared on the videos I saw of Saturday's show. Maybe it was the rain. Eddie came out with the wine, so he, like I did, probably took the weather delay to drink up.

Like many have said, he stumbled over a lot of lyrics. There was also a weird thing in In My Tree. The first chord hit after the intro was REALLY weird. I saw Ed jolt over in Stone's direction and give a look like, "What the fuck happens now?" They recovered nicely, though. Honestly, sloppiness doesn't bother me much, though. Shows that they're still human.

The opening five songs were fucking fire, though. I'm honestly not familiar with much post-Avocado, but MYM and Lightening Bolt were both pretty good live. My only complaint, which should be taken lightly, is that my favorite record of theirs is Binaural, so I would have loved to hear at least one from that record. I think Saturday would have been a better time for me personally from a set perspective, but it's all gravy. 

But they seemed to be having fun, and I had such an enjoyable time it made me sign-up for the digital version of the 10Club membership for a year at least. But next time in Chicago, please play United Center (or Aragon?!). Summer Chicago weather is such a shitshow. 

Monday night probably wouldn't be anywhere in my top shows, though. My top two are Borgata I in 2005 and Vic in 2006. Nothing beats seeing PJ in a small venue. I was extremely lucky to be able to attend those.
    Awesome name, and welcome back. The slop isn’t a trend. Probably just a product of the night being hectic. They’re as good a band now as they’ve ever been and probably much better than the last time you saw them. Don’t stay away so long this time. 
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Pearl Jam has always been on my concert bucket list.  When we bought the tickets earlier this year I also bought a lot of bootlegs and started listening what some might call obsessively.  Been a DMB fan for 17 years and 36 shows, never felt like I would find anything that came close to what that meant to me.  I was wrong.  Monday was my first show and I was blown away.  Of course by the music, but more by the crowd around me.  Shout out to anyone in section 218.  The DMB crowds have increasingly generated a much bigger “bro” presence and I didn’t feel any of that around me at Wrigley.  It was refreshing.  I just joined the Ten Club and this is my first post.  Happy to be here.
    Welcome aboard, bro.  
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Pearl Jam has always been on my concert bucket list.  When we bought the tickets earlier this year I also bought a lot of bootlegs and started listening what some might call obsessively.  Been a DMB fan for 17 years and 36 shows, never felt like I would find anything that came close to what that meant to me.  I was wrong.  Monday was my first show and I was blown away.  Of course by the music, but more by the crowd around me.  Shout out to anyone in section 218.  The DMB crowds have increasingly generated a much bigger “bro” presence and I didn’t feel any of that around me at Wrigley.  It was refreshing.  I just joined the Ten Club and this is my first post.  Happy to be here.
    Welcome!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    So is little evil goat about the cubs curse?
  • gocubsgo051316gocubsgo051316 Chicago Posts: 8
    I haven't seen anyone share any photos like this yet, so I had to post it. The vibe up in the 200s watching the storm was incredible
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    GREAT show.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I haven't seen anyone share any photos like this yet, so I had to post it. The vibe up in the 200s watching the storm was incredible
    Very cool pics! I was on the left field side and saw an awesome display over the water. 
    I forgot to mention, in the right field “vip” area I had full access to the ivy. As a big baseball fan I was very pumped to be in this spot. 

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    edited August 2018
    We came to Chicago for the Saturday show. Without tickets because budget and last minute decision. We mostly wanted to meet our tour friends. We listened from outside the venue and had a fantastic time. I still count this into the show count because we traveled for it :) Show #26 was awesome! Thank you, PJ, Chicago is a wonderful city full of wonderful people, and I had a blast. Hoping for some arena shows in the future :)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

The opening five songs were fucking fire, though. I'm honestly not familiar with much post-Avocado, but MYM and Lightening Bolt were both pretty good live. My only complaint, which should be taken lightly, is that my favorite record of theirs is Binaural, so I would have loved to hear at least one from that record. I think Saturday would have been a better time for me personally from a set perspective, but it's all gravy. 

Hey man. Welcome back! Really enjoyed your review. It is good to hear from another long time fan. Just realize since the old days PJ have picked up a lot of "yes fans". Glad u enjoyed the show.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    My 24th show and my wife’s first show. First time I went with someone who wasn’t a fan and it wasn’t bad lol. Normally I go to the shows completely solo and trade/share single tickets. This year I finally got to go with a former coworker whos a big DMB fan (122 times seen) after I was unable to make the 2014 Milwaukee show. Such an awesome set of shows!

So glad they played a full set too. 

Highlights for me:

Night one was just hard rock and roll alllll night. I was just in front of the handicapped section of the GA on stones side. 

Wash openers are always amazing, but my favorite part had to be SOLAT into Breath. Absolutely amazing.  

Night 2 was definitely U, In My Tree and Immortality.

Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178

Finally got to see a show at Wrigley. It was worth the wait. Except the 2 super hammered broads trying to run me out of my seat the experience was perfect.

You weren't sitting in section 216 were you? That would be crazy.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    I forgot to mention, in the right field “vip” area I had full access to the ivy. As a big baseball fan I was very pumped to be in this spot. 

Nice photo opportunity man! Definitely jealous of that. 

If Chicago (the city and Wrigley) won you over with the shit weather while you were here, you would fall in love with it on some sunny summer days.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m more impressed on how you’re rocking the shit out of those sandals. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I should have brought sandals. I only had one pair of shoes and they were soaked right up until I walked into my front door home again. Great pic man!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I should have brought sandals. I only had one pair of shoes and they were soaked right up until I walked into my front door home again. Great pic man!
    Yea that’s the worst feeling. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Is there anywhere I can get a fan recording of the audio from 8/20s rain show?
    Im heading on vacation next week, then up to Boston, would love to relisten and get AMPED!
    mcgruff10 said:

Nice photo opportunity man! Definitely jealous of that. 

If Chicago (the city and Wrigley) won you over with the shit weather while you were here, you would fall in love with it on some sunny summer days.
    Definitely loved everything Chicago had to offer!  I really like the midwest feel.  My only other experience in the midwest was St. Louis and man oh man did chicago blow that city away on all fronts.  
  • JakeN7JakeN7 Posts: 57
    Anyone looking for an XL tower shirt for face value?
  • bbiggs said:
    Great show...the combination of Night 1 and Night 2 made for an amazing experience.  Met lots of fantastic fellow PJ fans that made it that much more enjoyable.  The icing on the cake was catching the baseball that Ed threw out into the GA Pit last night.
    I may have been right by you. I think he threw a couple baseballs but the one he threw right in front of him center stage was within my reach. Just didn’t snag it (need to work on my rebounding skills lol). Anyway, I’m curious what’s on the baseball. Any logo? Signed? Just a regular ball? Congrats on snagging it! That’s an awesome souvenir. 
    It's an official MLB baseball.  "Caught" wasn't entirely accurate...I did drop on the ground and cover it up on the rebound. :)
  • Here's my view from the 400s before the sky got straight-up black. We had a blast watching the storm roll in and waiting it out, figuring out how to drink beer under ponchos, etc. The energy of the show was fantastic.