MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    Well I'm glad my Cubs picked up a 60 year old washed-up Cole Hamels and yet another mediocre reliever in Brandon Kinztler.  Meanwhile every other contender in the NL went and got All-Stars.  And Jacob deGrom is still in a Mets uniform.  Good job, Jed.

With Yu Darvish being a complete $180million headcase (who didn't see that disaster coming?!), Byrant & Rizzo not doing jack shit all season, Brandon Morrow not being able to stay off the DL (who didn't see that coming?!), and Maddon's completely baffling, almost-daily preference for Ian "0-5 w/ 4K" Happ over Albert Almora Jr... this team may as well book their vacations in October because the playoffs aren't happening.  If they do, it will be an early exit.

They fall behind EVERY game and fall behind EVERY series and have to play catch up.  60% of their wins are of the "come-from-behind" fashion.  And while that's great they've been able to pull it off up 'til now, you can't expect to do it that consistently against playoff caliber teams. Law of averages is bound to set in at some point and we're starting to see that now.  You can't give up runs in the first inning every game, never have your bats come alive until the 6th or 7th, lose game 1 of every series, and expect to accomplish much.

It seems like many of these guys' heads blew up after winning it all and just don't feel the need to perform at the levels they're well capable of.  If anyone, I would've thought Baez would be the biggest culprit of inflated ego, but it turns out he is one of the few that have elevated their level of play to MVP status (I'm talking team MVP, not league, although he certainly could be in that discussion).  He, Almora, Heyward (!!), & Lester are the only ones who seem to go out there and perform at their absolute best every day.  When a 37 y/o Ben Zobrist who doesn't even play daily is your 4th best offensive output player of the season, you've got problems that need to be addressed with urgency.

How about that performance by Jake Arrieta last night?!  Fuck you, Scott Boras!  That man would still be in a Cubs uniform if not for his greedy, arrogant ass!
    uhh emm ... didn't looked washed up last night
    Hope he can keep it up!  If the Cubs hadn't made so many errors he probably could've gone another inning or two.

Len & JD were talking during the game about how he historically does well when Joe Maddon is in the ballpark.  World Series MVP against the Rays, no-hitter at Wrigley against the Cubs.  Maybe it's just one of those things. :i_dunno:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Kintzler looked good last night too.

Mmmm, crow for lunch today!
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I'm kind of thinking that's your favorite meal these days. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    edited August 2018
    Scioscia stepping down as manager after this season
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Ugh bad news for McCullers it sounds like 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Rick Ankiel attempting another comeback
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:
    Scioscia stepping down as manager after this season

long overdue.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I want to talk about throwing at batters.

So, my take is that batters do not fear about getting hit anymore.  They dig in every time before every pitch.  

If a batter gets brushed back then the ump gives the pitcher a warning and then the batter owns the box pretty much.

Brushing back the batter and hitting the batter are part of the game but when you have an idiot that throws at someones head then it ruins it.

I say hit em in the back or the thigh.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

So, my take is that batters do not fear about getting hit anymore.  They dig in every time before every pitch.  

If a batter gets brushed back then the ump gives the pitcher a warning and then the batter owns the box pretty much.

Brushing back the batter and hitting the batter are part of the game but when you have an idiot that throws at someones head then it ruins it.

I agree with everything you said.

ALL part of the game!!
    Why should a batter fear getting hit?  Do you say the same thing about other sports?  Players don't fear cheap shots and injuries and that makes the sport?

Know what else was part of the game? Rampant racism, drugs, steroids and tons of other shit.  Sports evolve.

Why would it be a good thing for a player to fear getting a cheap shot?

I am all about pitching inside but intentionally hitting someone, fuck outta here.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Why should a batter fear getting hit?  Do you say the same thing about other sports?  Players don't fear cheap shots and injuries and that makes the sport?

Know what else was part of the game? Rampant racism, drugs, steroids and tons of other shit.  Sports evolve.

Why would it be a good thing for a player to fear getting a cheap shot?

I am all about pitching inside but intentionally hitting someone, fuck outta here.
    Agreed.. it's like.... barreling into the catcher for no reason.

On another rant, I hate those amplified mics that ESPN uses on the plate or wherever.  I've never heard a bat crack as loudly in person, as they sound on TV.  It's obnoxious. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Maybe "fear" isn't the best word but for lack of a better term:

Some receivers fear going over the middle against some secondaries/safeties (or at least they used to).

Some players in basketball fear driving to the basket against certain teams and big men (at least they used to).  

I think these are similar to what Tempo’s talking about.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    A hard foul or hit is equivalent to pitching inside and potentially hitting someone to own the inside portion of the plate.

Intentionally hitting someone is equivalent of an intentional head shot across the middle or an elbow to the head.

One has a place in the game, the other doesn't.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I wasn't referring to intentional shots to the head or elbows to the head. You can certainly lay out a receiver over the middle without going after his head just like you can foul a player hard whose driving the lane without launching an elbow to the head. Both of those scenarios absolutely have places in their games (or al least they used to).
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I wasn't referring to intentional shots to the head or elbows to the head. You can certainly lay out a receiver over the middle without going after his head just like you can foul a player hard whose driving the lane without launching an elbow to the head. Both of those scenarios absolutely have places in their games (or al least they used to).
    Agreed...and you can throw inside without intentionally hitting someone.  My original comment was in reference to this...

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I have no problem with chin music or moving someone off your plate (as a pitcher, you have to believe it's yours).  Growing up in Cleveland, we were taught to pitch inside until May, because the weather was so cold that kids would get sawed off and be hesitant to hold the bat firmly.  But hitting intentionally is shit ball.  
    Agreed...and you can throw inside without intentionally hitting someone.  My original comment was in reference to this...

Back or thigh should be fine and the best players in the game know that they are targets when baseball politics are involved.  Aiming at anyones head is uncalled for and doesn't have any place in the game.

Back or thigh should be fine and the best players in the game know that they are targets when baseball politics are involved.  Aiming at anyones head is uncalled for and doesn't have any place in the game.

Nah, bush league. As good as pitchers are, they miss enough that it's too dangerous. Give me an equivalent in another sport that is acceptable.  

Nah, bush league. As good as pitchers are, they miss enough that it's too dangerous. Give me an equivalent in another sport that is acceptable.  
    In Football they make a point to hit a person harder.  It happens.  Pile-ons can garner some interesting scuffles.

In Hockey they hit a person a little harder.  Sometimes a slash to the leg when the ref isn't watching.

In Basketball they can set a pick.  No more hard fouls, if you do u get T'd up quickly.

In soccer everyone just flops so i guess you can pretend to hit someone?

In Football they make a point to hit a person harder.  It happens.  Pile-ons can garner some interesting scuffles.

In Hockey they hit a person a little harder.  Sometimes a slash to the leg when the ref isn't watching.

In Basketball they can set a pick.  No more hard fouls, if you do u get T'd up quickly.

All poor examples, in my opinion.  Throwing a 90 something mile an hour pitch at an unsuspecting person is much more akin to a head shot in football, which is also not acceptable.

A slash to the leg, hard fouls...come on.  Throwing heat at an unsuspecting person is crap and and you know it.

All poor examples, in my opinion.  Throwing a 90 something mile an hour pitch at an unsuspecting person is much more akin to a head shot in football, which is also not acceptable.

A slash to the leg, hard fouls...come on.  Throwing heat at an unsuspecting person is crap and and you know it.
    Nope.  I believe it should be part of the game.  I actually hate when the dugouts get warnings.

Let's agree to disagree.
    But why?

But why?
    See above explanation.

I am also a big fan of old school baseball and to watch and hear the stories of Gibson or Drysdale brushing back batters is awesome.

Hell, I loved the ongoing feud w Randy Johnson and Kenny Lofton.  Liked watching Pedro and Clemens work batters too.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I think there is a time and a place to blow someone off the plate with a purpose pitch.

I do think there is a time and a place to hit someone -- although it is pretty rare and should be done in the way least likely to cause any lasting damage.

I think to bean Acuna because he is on a hot streak to open the game is total garbage.  Hitting him in the elbow is even more of a garbage play. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

But why?
    See above explanation.

I am also a big fan of old school baseball and to watch and hear the stories of Gibson or Drysdale brushing back batters is awesome.

Hell, I loved the ongoing feud w Randy Johnson and Kenny Lofton.  Liked watching Pedro and Clemens work batters too.

Your arguments are as soft as throwing at someone intentionally.

It's a fact that throwing baseball at someone intentionally when it could easily hurt a person's income or career is soft as shit and for pussies.

You want to fight someone, fight someone, but don't take a cheap shot.

But why?
    See above explanation.

Your arguments are as soft as throwing at someone intentionally.

You asked "why" and I told you.  I'm sorry that you don't like my answer but you seem to be in the minority on this as others are siding with me.

Next topic!!!
    MVP early voting or Vegas odds rather, has Trout as MVP. 

Say what?!?

I love the Angels and Trout but the team stinks.

JD Martinez or Betts are more deserving.

Thoughts?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    NL Wildcard and Division battles are heating up!
    Brewers +.5
    Phillies -
    Rockies -
    Cardinal Assholes -
    Dodgers - 2
    (Pirates,Nats, Giants...6-7 out and pretty much done with all of these teams in front unless they go on a major streak)

Hoping the Brewers and Phillies go.
    Anyone but those fucking Cardinals would be OK w/me.

The love he receives is the love that is saved