Options

This merch situation is really frustrating.

Comments

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    I just can't get worked up on merch anymore.  It is weird to me that people have unopened Benaroya Hall box sets, that my poster from Randall's Island 1996 sells for like $800, that people are sitting on Lost Dogs vinyl or whatever.  I get that it sucks that people scam the system, but what is nearly worse are people that willing pay them on ebay.  
    I am with you, I personally don't get it.  I mean I kind of get it - I have the posters framed of the shows I went to.  But all in all they are cool, but if they weren't there I would have been just as happy simply being there to listen to the kickass music in front of me

I would rather be spinning Benaroya on my record player as opposed to it looking pretty on a shelf, the vinyl inside is useless at that point and it goes against the entire reason why it was printed on vinyl  in the first place if nobody actually plays the music that is on it

Whatever happened to the actual music being the most important thing?  
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,053
    edited August 2018
    PB11041 said:
    I just can't get worked up on merch anymore.  It is weird to me that people have unopened Benaroya Hall box sets, that my poster from Randall's Island 1996 sells for like $800, that people are sitting on Lost Dogs vinyl or whatever.  I get that it sucks that people scam the system, but what is nearly worse are people that willing pay them on ebay.  
    I am with you, I personally don't get it.  I mean I kind of get it - I have the posters framed of the shows I went to.  But all in all they are cool, but if they weren't there I would have been just as happy simply being there to listen to the kickass music in front of me

I would rather be spinning Benaroya on my record player as opposed to it looking pretty on a shelf, the vinyl inside is useless at that point and it goes against the entire reason why it was printed on vinyl  in the first place if nobody actually plays the music that is on it

Collecting is the sort of thing that really can't be explained if you don't inherently understand it. And it coexists with enjoying the music pretty easily. If it isn't your bag, just be thankful you don't feel compelled to take part in all these fire drills.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PB11041 said:

Collecting is the sort of thing that really can't be explained if you don't inherently understand it. And it coexists with enjoying the music pretty easily. If it isn't your bag, just be thankful you don't feel compelled to party in all these fire drills.
    I mean I kinda get it.  Not that I don't have any "rare" items, I have some out of print Prince records that are apparently coveted in the secondhand market and I do like having them, and I do like my PJ posters from the shows I went to.  But I guess for me it is more just putting into perspective what fans are selling these awesome items for, how expensive they can be and how much money fans are making off of other fans.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PB11041 said:

Collecting is the sort of thing that really can't be explained if you don't inherently understand it. And it coexists with enjoying the music pretty easily. If it isn't your bag, just be thankful you don't feel compelled to party in all these fire drills.
    I mean I kinda get it.  Not that I don't have any "rare" items, I have some out of print Prince records that are apparently coveted in the secondhand market and I do like having them, and I do like my PJ posters from the shows I went to.  But I guess for me it is more just putting into perspective what fans are selling these awesome items for, how expensive they can be and how much money fans are making off of other fans.  
    Well that's a much simpler answer: Microeconomics 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PB11041 said:

And to break it down even more - greed ;)
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PB11041 said:

And to break it down even more - greed ;)
    Eh...greed is a two way street. There is hardly a more non-essential item than concert swag. The person who neeeeeeds something they don't actually need is as complicit as the person selling at a markup.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    What bums me out is the merch situation brings out the worst in people. As I stood in line last night, I watched just about everybody in line buy 2 Thomas posters. Until they ran out with me 3rd in line. And this isn't about me. I bought the ames poster, and at the end of the day I think I actually like that one better.

But to all the fans buying multiples of a poster they know is about to run out. They apparently have no concern that their greed is screwing over the people just a few spots behind them in line. People that waited just as long as them in line, but they came away with nothing. All so they can resell the poster on ebay for $100 profit or whatever. Isn't this against the spirit of what being a fan is supposed to be about?

The band could obviously stop or help this situation, but they choose not to.
  • Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    I got into town today, and I headed over to wrigley around 130-200 and I saw people leaving the merch tent with 3-4 prints of the Thomas poster. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited August 2018
    Sarava said:
    What bums me out is the merch situation brings out the worst in people. As I stood in line last night, I watched just about everybody in line buy 2 Thomas posters. Until they ran out with me 3rd in line. And this isn't about me. I bought the ames poster, and at the end of the day I think I actually like that one better.

But to all the fans buying multiples of a poster they know is about to run out. They apparently have no concern that their greed is screwing over the people just a few spots behind them in line. People that waited just as long as them in line, but they came away with nothing. All so they can resell the poster on ebay for $100 profit or whatever. Isn't this against the spirit of what being a fan is supposed to be about?

You are assuming that everyone ahead of you is selling posters for profit, but have you considered that some people are getting their second copy for people who have waited in that same line before and lost out?   

I understand your frustration, but there are some pretty terrific people here who do truly just try to take care of each other ... without flipping. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    deadendp said:
    Sarava said:

You are assuming that everyone ahead of you is selling posters for profit, but have you considered that some people are getting their second copy for people who have waited in that same line before and lost out?   

I understand your frustration, but there are some pretty terrific people here who do truly just try to take care of each other ... without flipping. 
    I really want to believe that but I just don’t. Maybe a very small percent are. I’m iso of one on lost dogs and haven’t gotten any responses beside a few trade inquiries. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    nicknyr15 said:
    deadendp said:
    Sarava said:

I really want to believe that but I just don’t. Maybe a very small percent are. I’m iso of one on lost dogs and haven’t gotten any responses beside a few trade inquiries. 
    I'd let the dust settle a lil.  There are a lot of people hunting for one. Just hang tight.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    myoung321 said:
    It's time 10C did a package for ticket winners...   no reason to make your dedicated fans stand in lines for hours when it can be easily streamlined - This will stop flippers from buying out merch before "normal" people can get anything.. gotten out of hand.
    I was thinking about this.

Let's say 10C gets 5000 tickets for a particular show.  They have been producing, up until now, about 2000 posters per show.

So if all the 10C members got posters and such there wouldn't be anything left for anyone else.
    1 poster per order not per ticket would do it IMO
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    nicknyr15 said:
    deadendp said:
    Sarava said:

I know for a fact that some of them are getting two because they know other fans who want them, and they aren't getting a profit out of it. A lot of fans do that either for people who asked, or to help out a random fellow fan who is seeking but can't get their own. Ideally it would be 1 per person limit so people in line have a chance, but it's not true everyone getting two are just greedy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2018
    Very simple fix..you buy a ticket to the show, you get the option of buying a poster with it..seems like that would at least cut down the merch lines AND cut back the flippers sales...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    senor lockesenor locke No. Ill. Posts: 36
    Yesterday was the last straw for me with regards to merchandise. I really only want to get what I will use...a shirt or 2, a poster for framing, sticker, maybe a couple of other small items. 

I dropped my wife off at noon, at the main tent, when we got into town, went to park and met her about 45 minutes later in line. The line did move fast so that was an improvement over past shows. Only poster available was the baby one, which wasn’t for me, so I passed. Round sticker also gone and I didn’t care for the Buckingham Fountain. No wrist bands that I was hoping to get for the kid. 2 shirts for me, 1 for her, koozies, key chains. 

We had GA tix and got our spot staked out by 5:30. I decided to give it another shot at the stand under the bleachers. Probably 150-200 in line that took about an hour. Again, only poster was the baby one. Wrist bands were gone about 5 people ahead of me. Walked away with nothing, got some beers, and headed back to our spot, and told her never again...she toasted to that!

I would also say that several 
    of the concert shirts I have bought would be on the clearance table at a retail store for defects...off center or crooked images, uneven hem lines, etc.. I know this is more my fault and I should check better...but things are kind of rushed in there.
    Tinley Park, Illinois (August 02, 1992)
    East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998)
    East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011)
    Hamilton, Ontario (September 15, 2011)
    Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013)
    Vienna, Austria (June 25, 2014)
    Berlin, Germany (June 26, 2014)
    Moline, IL (October 17, 201
    Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014)
    Fort Lauderdale (April 08, 2016)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018)
    Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947
    PJ_Soul said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    deadendp said:
    Sarava said:

I know for a fact that some of them are getting two because they know other fans who want them, and they aren't getting a profit out of it. A lot of fans do that either for people who asked, or to help out a random fellow fan who is seeking but can't get their own. Ideally it would be 1 per person limit so people in line have a chance, but it's not true everyone getting two are just greedy.
    This... I bought an extra in hopes of trading it. I have no desire to profit 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    Buying an extra in hopes of trading still keeps that poster out of the hands of someone who was actually at the show.  And unless you're trading it for another poster that routinely sells for the $40-$50 that you just paid for it, and not trading it for one that is "valued" a lot higher... trading up is just another form of profit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with it; you got in line and waited your time, so you're welcome to buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it, but might as well call it what it is.  

But either way... this merch situation is absolutely intentional, and choices are actively being made to create and feed the frenzy instead of taking steps to calm it.  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    tup30tup30 Posts: 115
    my first experience with pearl jam merchandise demand was a four hour line day before Wrigley 1 2016. 

I swore I wouldn't replicate that experience. but...I did wait 40 min in line inside CF bleachers two nights ago, wasn't too bad. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    tubes10s said:
    Buying an extra in hopes of trading still keeps that poster out of the hands of someone who was actually at the show.  And unless you're trading it for another poster that routinely sells for the $40-$50 that you just paid for it, and not trading it for one that is "valued" a lot higher... trading up is just another form of profit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with it; you got in line and waited your time, so you're welcome to buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it, but might as well call it what it is.  

But either way... this merch situation is absolutely intentional, and choices are actively being made to create and feed the frenzy instead of taking steps to calm it.  
    My thoughts exactly. I was just too tired to start again 
  • Options
    1upstate said:
    myoung321 said:
    It's time 10C did a package for ticket winners...   no reason to make your dedicated fans stand in lines for hours when it can be easily streamlined - This will stop flippers from buying out merch before "normal" people can get anything.. gotten out of hand.
    Other bands do this with success.  
    Other bands have huge corporations that can handle that type of volume do this for them. 
    Honestly I think this situation could be handled if they employed a 1 poster per physical person in line rule.  You wouldn't have people able to buy 50 and resell 49 of them for triple the price.

Sure there might still be scalpers who might sell a couple, but all in all it would make the supply way more plentiful for the real fans who want to get them.
    Just saw Jack White in SF on 08/18....they employed a one poster per person rule that appeared to hold pretty well..... and a good looking poster at that by DKNG.  Their night 2 (which I didn't attend) was a good one as well...

• Options
    JasonTeckJasonTeck St. Louis, MO Posts: 179
    I feel like the off site merchant tent is a joke! On Saturday there were a couple of extra merch trailers set up before the show, I think they opened around noon.
    Also if you get to a merch stand inside as soon as they open the gates you will get everything you want.
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    its just gotten bad all the way around.  i flew into the montana show and tried to get that poster,
    and witnessed people buying 25-30 at a time.  by the time i got up there to buy one for my 12 year
    old son, it was gone.   he still wants it and is heart broken but i can't pay $400 on ebay to get it. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Sarava said:

Totally agree with this. I was at the Gaslight Anthem show on Friday and I was like third in line at the merch stand when the gates opened. The only thing I wanted was a poster and as tempting as it is to buy two, I looked at the long line of people behind me and knew that if I bought two someone would get screwed.  I’d like to think that there is such a thing as good poster karma.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,353
    25-30 at a time :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    abaum25abaum25 Posts: 30
    Theres a merch tent on the 400 level behind home plate next to the jack daniels stand overlooking clark st that had a lot of stuff left when I walked by it at 6:30pm.  Some guy bought all 5 posters while I was there.  GL
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    unknown said:
    its just gotten bad all the way around.  i flew into the montana show and tried to get that poster,
    and witnessed people buying 25-30 at a time.  by the time i got up there to buy one for my 12 year
    old son, it was gone.   he still wants it and is heart broken but i can't pay $400 on ebay to get it. 
    25-30 is such bullshit. I’m surprised they didn’t enforce the same 2 per person rule. Sorry to hear this. I hope you find one for your son. 
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,109
    They just need to print 300 posters for each show, then sell them for $2000 in the merch tent.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited August 2018
    I was at Missoula and on the day before the show when the merch tent opened it was a strict 2 poster limit.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,109
    As soon as they start a presale again, a different group of people will start to bitch that they had to pay $35 for a man/bear/pig or that yellow thing from Zio Zeigler that is STILL  in the shop.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    Can anyone help me out with this poster?