MYSPACE

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    rival. wrote:
    i hated the people who had those custom backgrounds made on their pages and littered their movie and music interests with nothing but pictures of the movies and music they liked (why not just type it, do we nee the picture to get the picture?).

used to take like 10 minutes to load the fucking page :lol:

I just decided to visit mine. I had a custom background and pics of fav movies, music, tv shows etc... It WAS pimped out. Now it's all gone :(

http://www.myspace.com/eeriepadave
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    well looks like pearl jam has joined the space revolution:
    http://www.myspace.com/pearljam

kudos to pj for trying to take advantage of new and different kinds of social media.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Here is Dane Cook's myspace page
    https://myspace.com/danecook/videos
    chinese-happy.jpg

chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    My space still exists?  Well, so does Etch-a-sketch so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!  :tongue:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,612
    YOU'RE space

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I used to enjoy Myspace back in the day (2005-2009): I was able to hustle lots of little gigs through promoters. In many respects Myspace was much better for fledgling musicians than Bandcamp, Reverbnation, or Soundcloud, even though the html coding and the mp3 player were Flintstones-era. After about 2010, it became a graveyard.

I tend to last a couple of months at a time on Twitter before nuking my account. 
    I used to enjoy Myspace back in the day (2005-2009): I was able to hustle lots of little gigs through promoters. In many respects Myspace was much better for fledgling musicians than Bandcamp, Reverbnation, or Soundcloud, even though the html coding and the mp3 player were Flintstones-era. After about 2010, it became a graveyard.

I tend to last a couple of months at a time on Twitter before nuking my account. 
    A grave yard? Myspace is thriving. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I was able to download a shitload of demos that many bands posted but didn't realize they had to disable the download option if they didn't want it to be. :smirk:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• myspace is thiving? wow that is news to me.
    that site pissed me off large many years ago
    i was rock and roll blogging a lot and upload reviews of shows and videos etc
    then one day they went away...that was like 5 years ago im guessing
    luckily many many months later they sent a link so i could access my blogs so i could keep them(download)
    moral of this story? myspace and me are DONE. never again.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    Wow. I haven't logged into MySpace since maybe 2008. It actually took a little work to figure out how to login. I can't believe they still have my photos and memes that I uploaded in there, lol. Some classics that apparently were myspace worthy to me a decade ago... Things were so much more innocent back then, lol.

But where in the fuck is my embedded video of Dark of the Matinee by Franz Ferdinand and the results of my Get To Know Me quiz??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Oh christ. Now I'm gonna have to log in when I get home.
    it's still actually around? I thought it was dead. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's still actually around? I thought it was dead. 
    It seems like it.  I dunno, I'm too embarrassed to try at work.  Save it for the home computer, lol.
    I actually really liked MySpace, and I'm sorry Facebook took it over, because facebook is so damned passive and uninspired and uncreative by comparison. MySpace allowed users to actually design their pages using HTML, and a lot of people really ran with that. It was fun, and there was real educational and creative value there. MySpace is actually the only reason I know HTML, which is still a useful bit of knowledge today.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually really liked MySpace, and I'm sorry Facebook took it over, because facebook is so damned passive and uninspired and uncreative by comparison. MySpace allowed users to actually design their pages using HTML, and a lot of people really ran with that. It was fun, and there was real educational and creative value there. MySpace is actually the only reason I know HTML, which is still a useful bit of knowledge today.
    i hated it. I found it so limiting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    What do you mean? In what sense? I mean, I think I must have felt the same in some way, since I ultimately abandoned it for Facebook anyhow (though likely because everyone else did - I went where the people were, and I do remember it made it super duper easy to find and friend people you actually knew, and that wasn't really the case with MySpace). I'm just not sure what aspect you're talking about.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    What do you mean? In what sense? I mean, I think I must have felt the same in some way, since I ultimately abandoned it for Facebook anyhow (though likely because everyone else did - I went where the people were, and I do remember it made it super duper easy to find people you actually knew, and that wasn't really the case with MySpace). I'm just not sure what aspect you're talking about.
    the social aspect. it was incredibly limiting from what I recall. whatever updates they did to their platform, which, from waht I recall, were few and far between, were ineffective and not user-friendly. they also couldn't decide on their own identity: was it a place for musicians to share their music, or a social network for everday people to connect? I can't believe that it got bought for billions when it was already failing miserably. 

and when they didn't control the bots and whatnot it became unbearable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    What do you mean? In what sense? I mean, I think I must have felt the same in some way, since I ultimately abandoned it for Facebook anyhow (though likely because everyone else did - I went where the people were, and I do remember it made it super duper easy to find people you actually knew, and that wasn't really the case with MySpace). I'm just not sure what aspect you're talking about.
    the social aspect. it was incredibly limiting from what I recall. whatever updates they did to their platform, which, from waht I recall, were few and far between, were ineffective and not user-friendly. they also couldn't decide on their own identity: was it a place for musicians to share their music, or a social network for everday people to connect? I can't believe that it got bought for billions when it was already failing miserably. 

Huh. I never had most of those complaints, and felt like they clearly did manage to make it for both musicians and everyone else. It was social media with a musical bend, basically, which I liked at the time. I agree it wasn't great for the social aspect - I mean, it was more a personal website platform that also allowed you to post comments under photos... and I think there was some kind of private messaging feature. But still, it was totally groundbreaking. It can absolutely be thanked or berated for being the founding father of modern social media.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Huh. I never had most of those complaints, and felt like they clearly did manage to make it for both musicians and everyone else. It was social media with a musical bend, basically, which I liked at the time. I agree it wasn't great for the social aspect - I mean, it was more a personal website platform that also allowed you to post comments under photos... and I think there was some kind of private messaging feature. But still, it was totally groundbreaking. It can absolutely be thanked or berated for being the founding father of modern social media.
    I found literally nobody that I was friends with in real life. it was impossible unless they specifically told you what their screen name was or whatever it was. It was great for listening to unreleased music that artists would post, and sometimes even allow to download, but other than that, I found it awful to navigate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I found literally nobody that I was friends with in real life. it was impossible unless they specifically told you what their screen name was or whatever it was. It was great for listening to unreleased music that artists would post, and sometimes even allow to download, but other than that, I found it awful to navigate. 
    That's exactly why I liked it. It was a great place to befriend new people.. I loved the "groups" section of myspace.  Made quite a few friends from groups there and have even traveled to meet some of them.  There are some I became friends with there who we've kept following each other on other social media through the years as other platforms develop and old ones become obsolete.  If I'm friends with someone in real life, sure I'll follow you on social media but I'd rather just text or hang out in person.
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh. Well I did find friends I knew in real life.... You could find them if they used their real names. But yeah, if they didn't, then you'd just talk to them and find out their username or whatever. Not that difficult. It certainly wasn't as easy as facebook, but still. But I found that MySpace really only appealed to the people who were actually willing to put in the time to make fun... and that took up a lot of time and effort. They made you work for it. But anyway, whatever the complaints are in retrospect, it really was seriously groundbreaking at the time.
    Dyer's right too. It was definitely a good platform for making new friends (facebook is good for that too, but facebook also brings all the trolls with it, and MySpace didn't). I like that better than friends I know IRL on social media too. Like he said, I can talk to those people via text or in person. I actually use facebook to find people who share the same interests as me, like the same hobbies and shit, so they're pretty much all strangers at this point. In fact, I unfriended all those people I haven't seen for 20 years (I couldn't care less about their kids and shit), and I have almost nobody from work on there, and nobody from my family besides my sister. Almost all my friends are just fellow music fans or others with whom I share a common interest (including a ton of PJ fans, so some people from these boards, you included, who I may or may not have met or may or may not meet someday!).
    Come to think of it, I actually ended up on a date with a guy I met on MySpace, lol. His sweet loft in Gastown was the best thing about him, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh. Well I did find friends I knew in real life.... You could find them if they used their real names. But yeah, if they didn't, then you'd just talk to them and find out their username or whatever. Not that difficult. It certainly wasn't as easy as facebook, but still. But I found that MySpace really only appealed to the people who were actually willing to put in the time to make fun... and that took up a lot of time and effort. They made you work for it. But anyway, whatever the complaints are in retrospect, it really was seriously groundbreaking at the time.
    Dyer's right too. It was definitely a good platform for making new friends. Possibly better than facebook in that regard.
    I didn't really want new friends. LOL

I more meant people that I had maybe lost touch with, so I couldn't ask them their username. that's what made facebook fun in the beginning, the reconnection with past relationships. 

I wasn't willing to put in the time. it's not my thing. 

I definitely agree on the being a pioneer, for sure. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dyer's right too. It was definitely a good platform for making new friends. Possibly better than facebook in that regard.

I more meant people that I had maybe lost touch with, so I couldn't ask them their username. that's what made facebook fun in the beginning, the reconnection with past relationships. 

Haha, the people I have lost touch with are the ones I ended up unfriending. I did go through the process of friending them all, which was fun back in 2008, and then I realized that I didn't give a shit about these people - if I did, we wouldn't have lost touch. :lol:
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Haha, the people I have lost touch with are the ones I ended up unfriending. I did go through the process of friending them all, which was fun back in 2008, and then I realized that I didn't give a shit about these people - if I did, we wouldn't have lost touch. :lol:
    Yes, I figured that out pretty quickly too. I went through a Friending Frenzy, only to delete most of them weeks later. "we didn't like each other in high school, why am I looking at pictures of your fucking dinner now?"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I figured that out pretty quickly too. I went through a Friending Frenzy, only to delete most of them weeks later. "we didn't like each other in high school, why am I looking at pictures of your fucking dinner now?"
    Lol, exactly!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Precisely!  :rofl:
    WTF is up with the emojis?
    I've been having issues with them for weeks. sometimes it will let me, sometimes it won't. yours seems to be levitating or some shit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD