Options

One of Our Sisters needs Our Help

Kat has graciously allowed me to post this here. Our sister GTFLYGIRL on here has been diagnosed with Breast cancer and needs our help. She is a longtime Pearl Jam fan from New York and a real sweetheart. I met her in Chicago at the Vic show for the first time and have stayed with her for shows in New York, Boston and RRHOF iinduction.She is a single mother of a special needs child so this diagnosis is especially devestating. If you feel moved to help, please do so... Linda, you got this, girl❤️

"Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    #FightLikeAGirl
  • Options
    bump
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    bump 
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL NewYork Posts: 720
    edited August 2018
    Hello!!
    Thank you, firstly to ACCBootleg Goddess for posting this, to Kat and Sea for allowing it to be posted, and very importantly to all who have seen this and snd shown support through kind, inspirational and supportive messages as well as donations. My initial surgery was yesterday and I am home recuperating. My follow up appointment in on 9/5/18. At that time i will find out the final pathology report and start working on the next step of my cancer journey.

This is a very scary journey. As a single mom, and sole provider of everything to my son, it's even scarier..... I #1. Need to be ALIVE for him (funny.... I am in the Alive part of the PJ20 movie!) and 2. I need to be able to support him through this, We have therapists etc... but as his sole caretaker, I need to be there for him emotionally, not breaking down right and left, and NOT taking him on every appt with me. Donations help with these things enormously, as does the moral support. 

Some of my strongest, enormous emotional supports, i have met through the Pearl Jam world. Friends through Pearl Jam often become friends for life. Its amazing, the effect that this band, and its passionate fans, have had on my life. Some friends I have hung out with for years... and others maybe only once or twice in person....but the friendships are strong as steel. I am sure my Pearl Jam journey is continuing.... Plan to make it to 100 shows!!! (Currently I have attended 96 shows.... but have not been to a show  in 2 years, and had to cancel Wrigley plans this year due my illness, the finances the illness involves... and that boy I keep speaking of... my kiddo, Dylan Stone!). 

Thank you all for being there. I wish i knew everyone's current names on this board. But you all know who you are. Special shout outs to Melanie, Omaha, Matt, Stephanie, Krista, Jenny, Marcia, Cynthia, and Jessica... as well as new friends, like Julie, and all the many others that have shown me support and love... that i have-not even met yet! (Sorry if i forgot anyone's names in my shout outs!!) 

It's family and love that make the difference, and Pearl Jam is there helping to guide us through this all encompassing trip.

Thank you, again, to all!!!
    Peace, Love, and Pearl Jam!! 
    ❤❤❤ -Linda (GTFLYGIRL) 
    Post edited by GTFLYGIRL on
  • Options
    Hey, Mel..... guess what.. I think we actually met the year before the Vic. I believe I met you at the pre-eparty for Cinci 2006! I think i recall you were wearing your black and red Pearl jam (tour 2003?) shirt (I have the same one!) and i was like.... "Oh... YOU are ACCBootlegGoddess?!?!? "  :) Thank you so much for all you have done. <3 
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Just donated.  As a mom and someone who works on behalf of thousands of kids with disabilities, I truly understand how anxious you must be, but also how strong you must be.  Wishing you the best follow up, treatment, fast healing, and most of all the supports YOU need to be ok and stable BOTH for yourself and your son.  He needs you, but you need you too!

Sending much love, please keep us up to date on your progress!
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    How did i miss this post?  Maybe we as a group can do something to help over on Lost Dogs?   I'm going to find some things to sell to benefit your fundraiser and see what we can do as a group here as I...no change that..WE know first hand what it's like to fight the battle. My wife is a Stage 2B breast cancer survivor and our lives have been flipped upside down by it. We are blessed to have beat it but to this day we are still dealing with monthly medications and shots that she has to get to keep it from coming back. The chemo, surgeries, trips to the ER due to low immune system, unknowns and so much more really takes a toll on you so I beg you to stay strong, rely on family and friends for little things like chores or grocery shopping. stay rested and keep sick people away from you.  FIGHT LIKE A GIRL and KICK CANCER'S ASS!!  My hero is below and I'm grateful everyday for life and what her still being here with me in it

• Options
    OMG! I am so not ready for this fight! I have to be though..... I cannot lose....and I have to work FT through it with a special needs kid and a 45 minute drive each way to work. I was approved for respite care for my son, 15 hours a week, due to his disabilities, but due to where we live..... one and half years later and still no respite worker. Just me. Its exhausting when I'm not sick. I have no family local. We are all spread out. And I have few friends around here .... lived here 8 years but work far away and my son goes to school 1.5 hours away and has been in 5 schools in 8 years.

I'm gonna do it though! I know I can! Thank you so much for your support and any support you can be! You have already inspired me! I love the pic! Is that your wife? She is beautiful! 
  • Options
    Thank you JH6056 and elwayvedder!!!! 

Thank you so very much! Do I know either of you? I feel like i have crossed paths with you, Elwayvedder, yeah?!?!?!

Thank you all! ❤❤❤
  • Options
    Please note there is a link to a Go Fund Me created by my friends at the bottom of the first post on this thread! Thank you!

Here is is again....
    https://www.gofundme.com/5z5y3v4
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Sending prayers and thoughts your way on your road to recovery. I will be donating this week. Stay strong, as I have nothing but  faith that you will make a full recovery and be able to provide everything your son needs. 
  • Options
    How did i miss this post?  Maybe we as a group can do something to help over on Lost Dogs?   I'm going to find some things to sell to benefit your fundraiser and see what we can do as a group here as I...no change that..WE know first hand what it's like to fight the battle. My wife is a Stage 2B breast cancer survivor and our lives have been flipped upside down by it. We are blessed to have beat it but to this day we are still dealing with monthly medications and shots that she has to get to keep it from coming back. The chemo, surgeries, trips to the ER due to low immune system, unknowns and so much more really takes a toll on you so I beg you to stay strong, rely on family and friends for little things like chores or grocery shopping. stay rested and keep sick people away from you.  FIGHT LIKE A GIRL and KICK CANCER'S ASS!!  My hero is below and I'm grateful everyday for life and what her still being here with me in it

Hey Dave keep us posted, hopefully we can get something done. Would love to help in any way I can. 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,796
    Thank you for posting this.  How about we stop worrying about 4 hour merch lines and who’s on the rail and start supporting Jamily memebers when their battling something much more important. GTFLYGIRL were with you 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    This is an awesome idea. I saw that you will be offline on Monday and Tuesday, so I will shoot a PM your way on Wednesday on an item for a donation towards this cause. In the meantime stay strong @GTFLYGIRL
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    This is an awesome idea. I saw that you will be offline on Monday and Tuesday, so I will shoot a PM your way on Wednesday on an item for a donation towards this cause. In the meantime stay strong @GTFLYGIRL
    cool thanks Ray but feel free to just list it in a reply in the Lost Dogs thread and I will update the OP when I can!
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    GTFLYGIRL said:
    Thank you JH6056 and elwayvedder!!!! 

Thank you so very much! Do I know either of you? I feel like i have crossed paths with you, Elwayvedder, yeah?!?!?!

Thank you all! ❤❤❤
    We've probably been at many of the same PJ shows, because I'm from NYC and lived in Boston and Philly too so... lots of East Coast shows!  But I don't think we've really met.  Nice to "meet" you now!  I'll DM you more details, but I really am rooting for you!
  • Options
    TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    I will definitely donate some goods and post over in ElwayVedder's lost dogs thread.  Stay tough - you will beat this!! 
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,438
    sending positive vibes
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    edited August 2018
    My wife was diagnosed with Cancer 2 years ago and is fighting hard. I know that when you share the news there is a flood of info that comes from people - my cousin did this, my sister’s ex-boyfriend did that. And it’s hard to figure out what’s valuable info and what’s BS. So I’m sorry if I’m contributing to that, but if there is one resource I would recommend.

Radical Remmission by Kelly Turner

She interviewed 1000 people that beat the odds and compiled the details of what they did to beat Cancer. She found 9 common things that were present in many of the studies.

I know how precious time is as a parent and an individual battling Cancer, but if you feel you have the time to give this a read I’d be happy to buy it for you and have it shipped to you.

If you’re interested please PM me your shipping info. I hope for the best for you in your journey.
    Post edited by Massara133 on
  • Options
    I'm really tired and this is a lot to follow , but you guys are awesome! I have some of my own stuff i need to get out there too.... I just havent had time to do it! I will ask for some help though and be part of my own fundraiser. You guys really are awesome. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for doing all of this for me and my son. 

This is so enormous. Thank you all sincerely. More later.... I'm  going to go back to sleep.... Surgery was yesterday and im trying to heal strongly and quickly.... while I have some family around to help me! Thank you!!!! xoxo 

With love from Ulster County NY- ❤❤❤
    Love, Linda and Dylan
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    D-Rod said:
    Thank you for posting this.  How about we stop worrying about 4 hour merch lines and who’s on the rail and start supporting Jamily memebers when their battling something much more important. GTFLYGIRL were with you 
    Exactly my thought, let us check ourselves, human life is more important than a $1.00 poster you are paying a 1000x markup on.  God bless in  your fight, you can do it!
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I would live to check out the book, Massara 133. Its so scary. I will PM you when I'm not on my phone....Since surgery I havent been able to  sleep more than about 3 to 4 hours at a time so.... I have someone with my son and for me.... NAP TIME! You guys are amazing. I have to pull out some things to sell. It's so much easier to sell here than onEbay. I cant even begin to navigate that.... lifes too complicated  right now! Thanks for all the support! ❤❤❤
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,438
    we're thinking of you GTFLYGIRL (Linda)
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2018
    1 10c reserved ticket for 9/2 Fenway show for sale as part of a Care Package for Linda’s GoGundMe. Seat is Box 7 Row A. See my post in Lost Dogs thread or PM me for more details. 

Ticket is SOLD.
    Post edited by URthekey on
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,365
    When I get back home from Boston I’d love to donate something to be sold to benefit your go fund me. I lost my dad to cancer in February. Keep fighting!!!
  • Options
    up and don't forget to head over to Lost Dogs to help and secure some great PJ merch
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Heyyy.... so it has been a while since I logged in on here! Things have been crazy. 

Firstly, thank you to everyone who contacted me,  contributed, and or sent me kind messages. And thank you to my friend, Mel, who started this thread. 

Since the operation a lot has happened.  I switched hospitals, to Skoan Kettering Cancer Centers,  and found out I will need another operation (surgery is called axillary node dissection) and have another biopsy scheduled for tomorrow...and ...well... a whole lot more had happened.  There is an update on my Go Fund Me if you choose to check it out.

If you do, please,  please I ask if you could share the link? Shares help more than you could imagine. Thank you to everyone who has helped with mine and my sons battle... *because it for sure is his too... he is who I am fighting for!!* The Pearl Jam family is an amazing group of people. Thank you!!!!! 

https://www.gofundme.com/5z5y3v4
    Post edited by GTFLYGIRL on
  • Options
    eljuda170eljuda170 México Posts: 57
    Greetings from Mexico!! I did my little contribution. Hugs and Blessing for you...
  • Options
    AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
    I don’t know anybody here and I am sorry I hadn’t seen this thread till now to donate, but I send my love and good vibes and will pass the gofundme link on. 

GTFLYGIRL, I am sure you are getting amazing care at Sloan Kettering. But in case you haven’t come across this, and may want more info or a place to talk about your specific diagnosis or surgeries with women who know,  I have found the breastcancer.org forum very helpful. I don’t have cancer but have LCIS which I had never heard of till my diagnosis in 2016. Nobody in my life and even some medical professionals I dealt with had ever heard of LCIS, but on the breast cancer forum there was a whole group of people who spoke the language and that made me feel less alone. It also helped me figure out what to expect from my surgery. 

I am on Long Island, so too far to physically help out, but I will check your godundme for updates and give what I can along the way. Much love to you and I wish you so well in your fight.  :)