Chicago food and fun?

13»

Comments

• Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    Pizza-Pequod's...a bit of a haul...but kicks a$$....they sprinkle parmesan on the pizza pan before putting the dough in...as I understand it, that's one of the "secrets".

It hasn't been touched on this thread yet, but I cannot say enough about a restaurant called the Girl and the Goat.
    http://girlandthegoat.com/

It is so good with unique and delicious plates...tough reservation to get even though it has been open for a while.  Top notch chef (Stephanie Izard)...go to this place if you can get in.  She also has a place across the street called Little Goat, which can be easier to get into.

The neighborhood is called the West Loop or Randolph Street....and is a burgeoning foodie heaven.  Here is an article on the different restaurants.:
    https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-places-to-eat-west-loop-chicago

Grab a sando at the J P Graziano Grocery....

Gibson's is great....a bit of a meat market at the bar...but that may be a selling point to some of you.  

I wish I was going to the show just to grab some of the local grub...hope everyone has a great time and the weather doesn't play a part in the festivities at all....

Good luck getting into Girl and Goat.  It's good, but more hype IMO
  • Pizza-Pequod's...a bit of a haul...but kicks a$$....they sprinkle parmesan on the pizza pan before putting the dough in...as I understand it, that's one of the "secrets".

It hasn't been touched on this thread yet, but I cannot say enough about a restaurant called the Girl and the Goat.

It is so good with unique and delicious plates...tough reservation to get even though it has been open for a while.  Top notch chef (Stephanie Izard)...go to this place if you can get in.  She also has a place across the street called Little Goat, which can be easier to get into.

The neighborhood is called the West Loop or Randolph Street....and is a burgeoning foodie heaven.  Here is an article on the different restaurants.:

Gibson's is great....a bit of a meat market at the bar...but that may be a selling point to some of you.  

I wish I was going to the show just to grab some of the local grub...hope everyone has a great time and the weather doesn't play a part in the festivities at all....

Agreed. If you are looking for food paradise, head to the West Loop. 

And for all the beer folk that I know are all over this board, hit up Lone Wolf which is a 3 Floyd’s Bar (zombie dust always on tap). Then to Kaiser Tiger a couple blocks down.  Both on Randolph in the West Loop. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Pizza-Pequod's...a bit of a haul...but kicks a$$....they sprinkle parmesan on the pizza pan before putting the dough in...as I understand it, that's one of the "secrets".

Agreed. If you are looking for food paradise, head to the West Loop. 

And for all the beer folk that I know are all over this board, hit up Lone Wolf which is a 3 Floyd’s Bar (zombie dust always on tap). Then to Kaiser Tiger a couple blocks down.  Both on Randolph in the West Loop. 
    Lone Wolf it is....thanks Man!  I'll hit that up while waiting for an Au Cheval burger
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What is everyone's favorite bar in the magnificent mile area?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Bump.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cindy's Rooftop Bar on Michigan Ave.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cindy’s is awesome, but pricey. Public house is great.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    wbutler29 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cindy’s is awesome, but pricey. Public house is great.
    Agreed on Public House. Cool sports bar with good beer selection. 
  • Thought I'd contribute with some non-downtown watering holes and food spots:
    -Corridor brewing (brewpub) on Southport near Addison has a small list but excellent beers with really solid food. Walking distance to Wrigley.
    -Half Shell on Diversey is an amazing divebar/seafood restaurant ~$35 for a plate of king crab/snowcrab/fries
    -Happy Village is a fantastic dive bar with a great patio in West Town/Ukrainian Village; Forbidden root is a great brewery/restaurant nearby. 
    -Local Option is a metal/craft beer bar in Lincoln Park
    -Upscale food: I second Girl & Goat, hard to get into but if you can amazing; she also runs two other places Little Goat Diner (more low key and easy to get into) and Duck Duck GOat (asian). 
    Second Pequods as #1, Lou's as #2
  • DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    rejunior5 said:
    Thought I'd contribute with some non-downtown watering holes and food spots:
    -Corridor brewing (brewpub) on Southport near Addison has a small list but excellent beers with really solid food. Walking distance to Wrigley.
    -Half Shell on Diversey is an amazing divebar/seafood restaurant ~$35 for a plate of king crab/snowcrab/fries
    -Happy Village is a fantastic dive bar with a great patio in West Town/Ukrainian Village; Forbidden root is a great brewery/restaurant nearby. 
    -Local Option is a metal/craft beer bar in Lincoln Park
    -Upscale food: I second Girl & Goat, hard to get into but if you can amazing; she also runs two other places Little Goat Diner (more low key and easy to get into) and Duck Duck GOat (asian). 
    Second Pequods as #1, Lou's as #2
    You and I are clearly on the same wavelength
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    For good hot dogs, Byron’s Hot Dog.  A block north of Wrigley.

Kuma’s Corner on Belmont is an amazing burger, bring your appetite.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    Eddie says "Giordannos"  too  ;) 
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    edited August 2018
    Eddie says "Giordannos"  too  ;) 
    Mike was there the next night.  Daughter of a guy that works for me is waitress there and got picture with Mike.  She didn’t know who he was.
    she said he was really nice to everyone there.
    she also said Eddie gave tickets to the managers the night before.
    Post edited by Kevinman on
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Wondering what you guys suggest I do from getting from the airport to Wrigley GA line using transport. I am thinking of using the blue line to either Irving Park,Addison or Montrose then grabbing an uber or lyft (does it matter?) to the line with my wife on Monday. Any better ideas? Catching an Uber right to the line is fairly expensive but would be the quickest option if I was able to figure out where to go to get it at the monster that is Ohare. 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 427
    PJNB said:
    Wondering what you guys suggest I do from getting from the airport to Wrigley GA line using transport. I am thinking of using the blue line to either Irving Park,Addison or Montrose then grabbing an uber or lyft (does it matter?) to the line with my wife on Monday. Any better ideas? Catching an Uber right to the line is fairly expensive but would be the quickest option if I was able to figure out where to go to get it at the monster that is Ohare. 

When does your flight land? If it is any time around rush hour (call it 7am-11am and 4pm-8pm generally) traffic from Ohare can be an absolute nightmare. It has taken me 90min from ORD to the Loop at rush hour.

I would strongly recommend Blue line to at least get to Logan Square. Call it 40 min to Logan and then a 20-30 min Uber. You can do blue line to the Loop and transfer to red line which should be about 75ish min total (and cheaper obviously) but don’t quote me.

JBob87 said:
    PJNB said:

When does your flight land? If it is any time around rush hour (call it 7am-11am and 4pm-8pm generally) traffic from Ohare can be an absolute nightmare. It has taken me 90min from ORD to the Loop at rush hour.

I would strongly recommend Blue line to at least get to Logan Square. Call it 40 min to Logan and then a 20-30 min Uber. You can do blue line to the Loop and transfer to red line which should be about 75ish min total (and cheaper obviously) but don’t quote me.

We get in around 9:45am not an ideal time obviously like you said. So you are suggesting further south to Logan rather stay on the north side of Wrigley and get out at Irving? The line is up that way and I thought staying away from Addison would be a good idea since traffic to Wrigley is going to be heavy. I guess it will be heavy everywhere though by the sounds of it. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I'm at Michael's Pizzeria and Tavern few blocks from Wrigley.  Awesome pizza and $15 pitchers
  • Getting in at 9:45 would put you on the road by 10:15-11am depending if you checked bags. 

You are gojng to be hitting minimal rush hour traffic heading into the city. 

Taking the Kennedy to Irving wouldn’t be that bad of a ride. 
    edited August 2018
    My flight lands at noon tomorrow at o'hare so I think I am going with an uber.  If not what line do I take to get to the magnificent mile?
  • Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    mcgruff10 said:
    My flight lands at noon tomorrow at o'hare so I think I am going with an uber.  If not what line do I take to get to the magnificent mile?
    Blue to Jackson, transfer to Red.  Use google maps.  Will give you up to date sched/times
    Getting in at 9:45 would put you on the road by 10:15-11am depending if you checked bags. 

Cool thanks I think we will go with that. Much appreciated. 
  • PJNB said:
    Getting in at 9:45 would put you on the road by 10:15-11am depending if you checked bags. 

Yeah of course, I leave from home to the city a couple times a week around 10-10:30 and I live a few miles past O’hare. 45 minutes tops for me to get to River North which is farther than Wrigleyville. 

Caveat: unless there’s an accident or other abnormal activity. PJ would be just like a Cubs game and shouldn’t effect things too much with people getting to the area at varying times. 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 427
    PJNB said:

I always just do a quick google maps check when I land
    Dug1200 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Blue to Jackson, transfer to Red.  Use google maps.  Will give you up to date sched/times
    Awesome.  Thank you.