Options

Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivor, or Omnivore?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    hedonist said:
    tbergs said:

Excellent and thoughtful post, bergs.  Thank you.

As to the OP, these days I eat everything I can, meat included.  Under normal circumstances, it didn't play a huge part of my meals (though I'd kill for a grilled steak right now).

......and if someone I neither know nor respect considers me a terrible human being for making that choice, so be it.
    Yeah, good post, T.

"Terrible human" is the last thing I would think of related to you, Hedo.  Nice to see you here!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am an omnivore.
    Yes, glad to see Hedo! Truck onward!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am an omnivore.
    To the pigs question...pork is the most delicious of meats.  No question.

Now that's out of the way, pork is the most petroleum dependant.  The feed conversion ratio is the worst, modern breeds only forage, like, 0% of their diet.  Heritage breeds are much better for the environment, but there are major sacrifices to going that route for a home farm.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Me—carnivore   Red Meat once a week. Chicken another day.  The rest is seafood

my wife is straight up pescetarian.  Only seafood and vegetables. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    Yes, glad to see Hedo! Truck onward!
    Thanks, guys - nice to be seen :)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    mcgruff10 said:
    People who without qualms choose meat in 2018 are shitty people.

Trying to choose vegan when possible, but most often vegetarian. More shitty than I wish.
    I only found US data quick.... but 3.2% of the US is vegetarian (only like 0.5% of those are vegan). So 96.8% eat meat. That’s a lot of shitty people 
    I made a killer London broil last night on the grill (marinated it with garlic and soy sauce for 24 hours). I told my kids they are all shitty for eating this. They ignored me and asked for seconds. 

So you're raising your kids badly, when you don't have to.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    I won't criticize those who eat meat but for every dead peace of animal flesh that gets posted here, you're going to have to deal with some of this:

Which also happens to be a hell of a lot prettier.

Yeah, I know, pretty is not tough guy for some.  Too bad.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    I have a magic newspaper.  It prints news before it happens.  Get you licks in while you can 'cause this baby's goin' doooooown.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    mcgruff10 said:

Trying to choose vegan when possible, but most often vegetarian. More shitty than I wish.
    I only found US data quick.... but 3.2% of the US is vegetarian (only like 0.5% of those are vegan). So 96.8% eat meat. That’s a lot of shitty people 
    I made a killer London broil last night on the grill (marinated it with garlic and soy sauce for 24 hours). I told my kids they are all shitty for eating this. They ignored me and asked for seconds. 

That looks delicious.  Fuck the naysayers!  And fuck anyone that says you are raising your kids badly or that you are a bad parent for letting your children eat a steak.  Anyone that says that can eat a dick with a side of hummus in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,832
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    mcgruff10 said:

Badly? All my kids are nice and healthy. What type of diet do your kids follow?  If they do follow your diet was it hard for them to adjust? 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What type of diet do your kids follow?  If they do follow your diet was it hard for them to adjust? 
    His mom still decides what he eats.  

Speaking of bad parenting...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm more and  more moving toward vegetarian.  I never eat any seafood or shell fish and avoid large animals meat.  I do occasionally eat poultry and I eat eggs.  My main reason for going more vegetarian is that I realize that a world with 7 plus billion human inhabitants cannot support us as carnivores.  I don't think it's unnatural to eat meat, I just don't see how we can justify doing so.  But I also did not have kids so having not added to the population issue, I allow myself the pleasure of a little poultry and the occasional egg dish. 
    Yes to much of this. To my mind, even if people disagree that there are ethical aspects to eating meat, you have to be willfully ignoring a lot of evidence about environmental impact to justify eating beef in particular. 
    Agreed.  And pork as well.  Pig farms impact environment in terrible ways and most pork comes from these massively polluting pig farms.
    Serious question, how do you feel about people that raise and eat their own meat (of any kind)?  If a person has their own pig farm of 4 or 5 pigs and eats a couple of them a year, are they really impacting the environment any more negativity than someone using the same space to water a vegetable garden?
    Also, do you believe that farming practices have not impacted the environment in a negative way?  
    Raising beef cattle and pigs is certainly worse for the environment than growing fruits and vegetables. Small scale home farming with one or two animals is better than large scale factory farming, of course, but you can’t change biology. The food conversion ratios of cattle and pigs and the discharge of waste remain major issues no matter how you farm them. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm more and  more moving toward vegetarian.  I never eat any seafood or shell fish and avoid large animals meat.  I do occasionally eat poultry and I eat eggs.  My main reason for going more vegetarian is that I realize that a world with 7 plus billion human inhabitants cannot support us as carnivores.  I don't think it's unnatural to eat meat, I just don't see how we can justify doing so.  But I also did not have kids so having not added to the population issue, I allow myself the pleasure of a little poultry and the occasional egg dish. 
    Yes to much of this. To my mind, even if people disagree that there are ethical aspects to eating meat, you have to be willfully ignoring a lot of evidence about environmental impact to justify eating beef in particular. 
    Agreed.  And pork as well.  Pig farms impact environment in terrible ways and most pork comes from these massively polluting pig farms.
    Serious question, how do you feel about people that raise and eat their own meat (of any kind)?  If a person has their own pig farm of 4 or 5 pigs and eats a couple of them a year, are they really impacting the environment any more negativity than someone using the same space to water a vegetable garden?
    Also, do you believe that farming practices have not impacted the environment in a negative way?  
    Raising beef cattle and pigs is certainly worse for the environment than growing fruits and vegetables. Small scale home farming with one or two animals is better than large scale factory farming, of course, but you can’t change biology. The food conversion ratios of cattle and pigs and the discharge of waste remain major issues no matter how you farm them. 
    Funny thing about it is that most cattle are raised primarily on grass and their feces is used as organic fertilizer on an industrial level to grow many of the crops enjoyed by many “vegetarians”
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mcgruff10 said:

Whether it comes from you or from Paul McCartney, it's still asinine to come to a thread with meat eaters and vegans, and to insult people's way of life expecting that will be a catalyst to changing minds. Condescending vegans such as yourself do a major disservice to your cause.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Funny thing about it is that most cattle are raised primarily on grass and their feces is used as organic fertilizer on an industrial level to grow many of the crops enjoyed by many “vegetarians”
    Why did you ask a question and then dismiss the answer without even considering it?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2713654

• Options
  • Options
    I am an omnivore.
    I feel that it is more about positive farming/ranching practices than taking an extremism point of view on the subject.
     https://www.beefmagazine.com/blog/5-ways-cattle-help-environment

http://www.beefusa.org/ranchingandtheenvironment.aspx

• Options
    I am a vegetarian.
    Met a mouse today on my way to work. Wasn't even afraid. Cute.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    I feel that it is more about positive farming/ranching practices than taking an extremism point of view on the subject.

You may feel that way but that doesn’t mean you’re correct. Cattle farming has major environmental impacts and trying to argue it doesn’t is pointless. 
  • Options
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:

You may feel that way but that doesn’t mean you’re correct. Cattle farming has major environmental impacts and trying to argue it doesn’t is pointless. 
    Why dismiss my comments without even reading the articles?  Hypocrite?

• Options
    I am a vegetarian.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

"beefmagazine", "beefusa"

Sounds unbiased. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Sounds unbiased. 
    Of course it’s biased, that doesn’t mean it is incorrect.  Vegetarian promoting sites aren’t biased?  Now, can you please post another stupid meme, pretty please?  Everyone here loves people that cannot think for themselves and post memes every other post...

• Options
    I am an omnivore.
    Met a mouse today on my way to work. Wasn't even afraid. Cute.

Pretty sure the mouse’s next stop will be your local vegan market to either eat a healthy dose or rat poison or shit on your lettuce, lol
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:

You being here has a major impact on the planet.  Perhaps we take care of overpopulation first as the main reason for the current farming practices to feed everyone.  Rather than trying to shame people into one way of thinking/eating like you are saving the planet by eating vegetables.  Kinda like when someone comes to me on the street cramming a bible in my face.  The first thing that comes to my head is punching them square in the fucking mouth for imposing their holier than thou beliefs on me without knowing the person, what I do for others, what I stand for, etc.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    I am a vegetarian.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Sounds unbiased. 
    Of course it’s biased, that doesn’t mean it is incorrect.  Vegetarian promoting sites aren’t biased?  Now, can you please post another stupid meme, pretty please?  Everyone here loves people that cannot think for themselves and post memes every other post...

• Options
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:

I would say spiritual has been found out regarding his memes yet again.  He only replies after visiting giphy.  Because thinking is hard for him........
  • Options
    I am a vegetarian.
    PJPOWER said:

I would say spiritual has been found out regarding his memes yet again.  He only replies after visiting giphy.  Because thinking is hard for him........

• Options
    I am an omnivore.
    The originality of my steamer today. 
  • Options
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:

I’m going to go ahead and agree with you there.  For the record, only shitty people post more than 5 memes a day on the AMT, lol
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I’m going to go ahead and agree with you there.  For the record, only shitty people post more than 5 memes a day on the AMT, lol
    Yes, thinking is way to hard for me.

But, then what constitutes a meme to you?

Posting a gif of Ace Frehley laughing on the Tom Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder - would that be a "meme"? Does that add to this count of memes?
This discussion has been closed.