Options

Missoula poster

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Any snowflakes with buyers remorse want to send me their print?
    Are they snowflakes or privileged oppressors?

Decide.
    Becaue according to you, those of privilege can’t be sensitive about it when challenged? My experience is the opposite. 
    Yup. trump got elected because of the threat to the privilege, and now criticism of trump is a threat to the privilege.  It’s partly why the trumpers are easily duped with his attacks on the Mueller investigation and go along with whomever he tries to take down. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Is that what I think it is?

I dont know what you think it is. So how can we answer your question?
    I'm sure he knows what it is.... Surely Unsung, our self-proclaimed anti-government anarchist, loves this poster more than the rest of us?
    (and I for one love it simply for its boldness and the controversy it's inspired. Finally PJ made a bold enough and explicit enough statement to create some again! It's been 15 fucking years since Bu$hleaguer for crying out loud ;) ).
    as we all know, jeff was behind this, and it shows. he was the one who explicitly stated how much he loved bushleaguer at uniondale. 

pearl jam has come back. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Is that what I think it is?

I dont know what you think it is. So how can we answer your question?
    I'm sure he knows what it is.... Surely Unsung, our self-proclaimed anti-government anarchist, loves this poster more than the rest of us?
    (and I for one love it simply for its boldness and the controversy it's inspired. Finally PJ made a bold enough and explicit enough statement to create some again! It's been 15 fucking years since Bu$hleaguer for crying out loud ;) ).
    as we all know, jeff was behind this, and it shows. he was the one who explicitly stated how much he loved bushleaguer at uniondale. 

pearl jam has come back. 
    i personally love this

For the love of rock & roll, please let this clown tweet something. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    I think the big picture question is whether or not this poster could potentially impact this election.  Will people on the fence not vote for Tester because his name is associated with the poster?  I obviously don't know the answer, only time will tell.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think the big picture question is whether or not this poster could potentially impact this election.  Will people on the fence not vote for Tester because his name is associated with the poster?  I obviously don't know the answer, only time will tell.  
    for all the people saying pearl jam is irrelevant, many of them sure are thinking this is a big deal for tester. it is odd if he approved a poster with his own image on it with a picture of the white house burning and the current president being dead, but maybe they didn't clear it with him. who knows. he can probably plead ignorance on this if he wants to. the band will take all the backlash. gladly, i'm sure. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I think it's just a really pathetic thing that any voters could actually have their vote influenced by something like this. No wonder Trump is the President.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's just a really pathetic thing that any voters could actually have their vote influenced by something like this. No wonder Trump is the President.
    Yup 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Any snowflakes with buyers remorse want to send me their print?
    Are they snowflakes or privileged oppressors?

Decide.
    Why can’t they be both? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Yo @BS44325, got an extra print from the show? Ikmow you were there under the big sky, hook your favorite liberal up! Lol
    Sorry no extra. Why didn't you message me before! You know I would have hooked you up!
    I don't care what they say about you, you're my boy
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    Yo @BS44325, got an extra print from the show? Ikmow you were there under the big sky, hook your favorite liberal up! Lol
    Sorry no extra. Why didn't you message me before! You know I would have hooked you up!
    I don't care what they say about you, you're my boy
    Wait...what do they say about me?!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup 
    Yeah, agreed here too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed.
    Bingo.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    wow, this is yahoo's headline story right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/republicans-blast-pearl-jam-poster-burning-white-house-163608901.html

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Republicans on Wednesday condemned a poster by Pearl Jam that shows the White House in flames and a bald eagle pecking at a skeleton they say is meant to depict President Donald Trump.

The National Republican Senate Committee compared it to the now-infamous photo of comedian Kathy Griffin holding a fake decapitated Trump head.

The rock group's Twitter account says the official poster from Monday's concert in Missoula, Montana, is a collaboration between bassist Jeff Ament and Bobby Brown, an artist also known as Bobby Draws Skulls.

The "Rock2Vote" concert aimed to encourage young people to vote in the November midterm elections and support Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester of Montana, who is from Ament's hometown of Big Sandy.

Ament was unapologetic in an emailed statement Wednesday.

"The role of the artist is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling," Ament said in the statement. "I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse."

He ended the statement, "Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament."

The poster shows Tester in a tractor flying over a burning Washington, D.C., framed by the letters "P'' and "J," with smoke forming the word "Vote" in the background.

Several objects and people are in the foreground, including a skeleton with a full head of hair lying face down, an eagle pecking at the bones of its foot.

Tester's Republican opponent, Montana State Auditor Matt Rosendale, also is depicted with a crab claw for a hand and carrying a "Maryland" flag, a reference to Rosendale's native state.

The message from Ament accompanying the poster included the description: "D.C. burning. Tester Evel Knievel on tractor ... over the cesspool below. Russian money, golf courses, hookers? Maryland Matt. Stars and Stripes as flames."

Rosendale called the poster "disgusting and reprehensible" and called on Tester to "denounce this act of violence and blatant display of extremism."

The National Republican Senate Committee, which is supporting Rosendale's campaign, also blamed Tester for not speaking out against the poster it called "gory." The committee compared it to other examples of public figures "encouraging violence" against Trump, like Griffin's photo.

Tester officials said the campaign had nothing to do with the poster.

"We never saw the poster before the show and we don't like it," Tester spokesman Chris Meagher said. "And we don't condone violence of any kind."

Ament told The Associated Press in April that the band wanted to use the Montana concert to support local advocacy groups, encourage voter participation and boost Tester's campaign. He said he believed that the political climate had become too divisive.

"Probably more than ever it's important to have a congressman that can sort of make people think less emotionally about some of these things," he said.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
     "Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament."

Fuck yeah.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    dignin said:
     "Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament."

Fuck yeah.
    Absolutely!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40
    Thoughts & prayers for those offended.   
    Winner! Best post on this thread is right up there^
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    For those who can’t count, 1 comes before 2.

Go Jeff, go!

”denounce this act of violence.” Let that sink in and after it does, does anyone know the gentlemen challenger’s thoughts or public statements on the death of Heather Hyer?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    mcgruff10 said:
    A poster having an effect on an election?

The fuck?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tamisitatamisita Posts: 15
    For all of those offended I say “Bless your heart”. I’m a teensie bit curious if you were equally offended to hear Trump talk about being rich and powerful enough that he can just grab women by their pussies. Seems probably not offended enough to not vote for the mysogenist bigot it seems. 
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited August 2018
    If JA had any balls he would have somehow worked in Ronny Jackson. That would have at least lended some dignity to an otherwise horrendous ( artistically speaking) poster. 
     Next time seek some inspiration from Ames or Shuss or better yet don't try so hard, let it come naturally. #ucantdenyme
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I love seeing the “Fuck Your Feelings “ crowd get offended.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    where exactly is the violence?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Is this poster going to lead to something like when John Lennon said that at the time, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus and this led to Beatles records and posters and memorabilia going into bonfires?   Or would it just be a few tiny campfires in a few hot red  states?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Is this poster going to lead to something like when John Lennon said that at the time, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus and this led to Beatles records and posters and memorabilia going into bonfires?   Or would it just be a few tiny campfires in a few hot red  states?
    No.  This is the modern era ... it'll be sold at highly inflated prices on eBay.  Gotta give those Jesus freaks in the 60's credit, they burned some Beatles stuff that I'm sure would be worth a buck a two today.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    No.  This is the modern era ... it'll be sold at highly inflated prices on eBay.  Gotta give those Jesus freaks in the 60's credit, they burned some Beatles stuff that I'm sure would be worth a buck a two today.
    I believe you are right!  Yeah, there will be some big-time flipping, for sure.

A little better listening skills and critical thinking could have save some of the Jesus people a pile of money.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Maybe if this was 1994.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Only issue I have with the poster is the non-obese depiction of Trump."

Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes. Separate issue though from the "how dare they depict Trump as dead and being eaten by a bald eagle"-thing the Fox-outcry-fabricators yell about.

Maybe Tester should have had leaned into it. Gotten popular with the kids.Been a rebel.

This discussion has been closed.