Options

Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Rumors are SiriusXM may cancel PJ radio over backlash from Missoula poster..
    Can I be the conservative who says that this would be so dumb. Just like it was so dumb for radio stations to ban the dixie chicks and/or Kanye. Just like it's so dumb to ban Alex Jones. Just like it's so dumb for social media to ban/shadow ban thought they don't like. Just like it's so dumb for protestors to shut down speaking events on college campuses. Enough with the suppression of speech!
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    PJ may have some new people joining the Fan Club today just based on the poster :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited August 2018
    CP218430 said:
    Raising 11.5 towards homelessness in Seattle - blip on the news.
    A cartoon poster - shut down their radio and tear down the band.
    Sounds about right. 
    I think the Sirius Xm angle is bullshit. I have yet to see that suggested anywhere other than from the OP. 
    Agreed, that's ridiculous, and I can't see there being any way in hell that Sirius would have said or hinted at such a thing. Pure silliness. It's most likely that the OP caught wind of some alt-right post saying that Sirius ought to do it and some other alt-righters took it from there, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    Yeah- they have to tread lightly thoughI’m sure seeing as Montana is a seriously red state.  He’s likely to see repercussions if he outright agrees with it or something like that.  I bet if he at all makes a statement it’ll be like what you said.
    It can't be that seriously red. John Tester keeps beating the Republicans in the Senate race.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    BS44325 said:
    Can I be the conservative who says that this would be so dumb. Just like it was so dumb for radio stations to ban the dixie chicks and/or Kanye. Just like it's so dumb to ban Alex Jones. Just like it's so dumb for social media to ban/shadow ban thought they don't like. Just like it's so dumb for protestors to shut down speaking events on college campuses. Enough with the suppression of speech!
    You can be but you too will be shut down. Haha! Just kidding. 
  • Options
    ME10280 said:
    I'm not on the right or the left.  Frankly, I hate politics.  I'm also not a few of Trump the Cheetos, but I don't think it's cool to burn the White House & national monuments.  I do believe in patriotism & love for my country, regardless which jackass is in office.  I think the poster was in bad taste.  Just my opinion.
    I think Trump is in bad taste.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,442
    BS44325 said:
    Dont include Alex Jones in that group.    Its one thing to ban people who say, "I dont like this person" or "I think these policies suck".  Pearl jam, Kanye, Dixie Chicks voice their opinions.   Just like Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, Roseanne, etc voice them on the right. 

Alex Jones peddles lies that do actual harm to actual people.   He is flat out making up conspiracy theories that are damaging people, and asking people to cause actual violence. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    It’s funny watching the anti-PC, “fuck your feelings” crowd pout over a concert poster with a negative depiction of Dear Leader. Hypocrites.
    Yeah the "snowflakes" on the right are hilarious. Remember them crying about Jim Carrey's drawing of Sarah Sanders a few months back? They'd be praising him if it was a negative drawing of Hillary. So much hypocrisy. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ME10280 said:
    I'm not on the right or the left.  Frankly, I hate politics.  I'm also not a few of Trump the Cheetos, but I don't think it's cool to burn the White House & national monuments.  I do believe in patriotism & love for my country, regardless which jackass is in office.  I think the poster was in bad taste.  Just my opinion.
    Keep in mind....no actual buildings were burned here.  This is an artistic portrayal of what is currently happening.   (or would could be coming if we dont fix it).   Its no different than a political cartoon.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:
    Dont include Alex Jones in that group.    Its one thing to ban people who say, "I dont like this person" or "I think these policies suck".  Pearl jam, Kanye, Dixie Chicks voice their opinions.   Just like Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, Roseanne, etc voice them on the right. 

Alex Jones peddles lies that do actual harm to actual people.   He is flat out making up conspiracy theories that are damaging people, and asking people to cause actual violence. 
    Alex Jones spreads hate speech.

But hey, we know who have become absolute experts at false equivalencies, and it ain't people on the left.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BS44325 said:

+1
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    ME10280ME10280 Posts: 34

@PJ Soul.  My comments weren't regarding Trump (just the artwork).  I even said I don't like him.  I'm strictly talking about the defacing of our national monuments.  I thought it was shitty when Madonna made her comments about the White House, so it would be hypocritical to not feel the same now.  My feelings about the band haven't changed.  I'm still going to both Chicago shows this weekend.  I also believe in free speech, but I just think the artwork was in bad taste.  What can I say...I love & respect the USA.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    Yeah- they have to tread lightly thoughI’m sure seeing as Montana is a seriously red state.  He’s likely to see repercussions if he outright agrees with it or something like that.  I bet if he at all makes a statement it’ll be like what you said.
    It can't be that seriously red. John Tester keeps beating the Republicans in the Senate race.
    Google it.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    JP218404 said:
    lolobugg said:
    JP218404 said:
    lolobugg said:
    JP218404 said:
    lolobugg said:
    KC138045 said:
    Matts3221 said:

The height of hypocrisy! As we have a current administration that does not care at all about this country. A president with no integrity or morals calling everyone names like he is in 8th grade. I love that they call those on the left snowflakes yet they get bent out of shape on anything.

A friend of mine texted me a link Fox News is currently running a front page article about it quoting Pearl Jam fans as saying they will no longer listen to this "loser band"

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/15/pearl-jam-shares-poster-depicting-trumps-corpse-and-burning-white-house.html

Just read some of the comments...lol

These damn liberals!!!! They don't deserve to live in Amerikkka!!!!

tweet coming in 5....4....3....2....

If Tangboy tweets about them we are gonna get angry Eddie this weekend which will be amazing! 

I hope that orange fuck sends something out.... it will make Wrigley even more amazing!!!!!!
    totally!  BRING IT!!!  Tweet away you fuck!!!  Can't wait for Saturday!!  DIRTY TRUMP!!!

shit... we might get "TrumpLeager"!!!   :lol:

that would be all time great. someone needs to bring a Mask to throw onstage.

THIS!!!!!! RAIL PEOPLE ON YOU!

AND LEASH OPENER!!  
    ^This Fuck Yea! 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    “If you don’t like it (the poster), leave!”

Isn’t that the far right mantra?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    PJ_Soul said:
    Google it.  
    I’m also thinking about it in voting for presidential elections- Totally possible it’s more “purple” in other midterm races.  Definitely has the urban vs rural scene you see all over the country.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    ME10280 said:

@PJ Soul.  My comments weren't regarding Trump (just the artwork).  I even said I don't like him.  I'm strictly talking about the defacing of our national monuments.  I thought it was shitty when Madonna made her comments about the White House, so it would be hypocritical to not feel the same now.  My feelings about the band haven't changed.  I'm still going to both Chicago shows this weekend.  I also believe in free speech, but I just think the artwork was in bad taste.  What can I say...I love & respect the USA.

Just from a perspective at the moment, do you really believe the intention of the imagery is that the monuments and the whitehouse are being defaced and even further that the president is dead because of some devious act, OR

That the image is an allegory for what happens when people put their head in the sand?

It is a dystopian view of a future day through art.  

It is not a wish.  It is a point of view from a couple of artists on where they fear things are going.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    I would have no reason for Sirius radio without the PJ Radio channel.  They would get cancelled immediately.  -just saying as a subscriber
    As for the poster, not really my bag but to each their own.  I’m sure it will now be a top collectible one given all this added publicity and the overall angst directed at DJT.  Got my popcorn ready in case a Tweet storm hits before/during Wrigley and/or Fenway - both liberal bastions with little to no love for him.  DJT would be wise to avoid starting that, but hey doing the smart thing isn’t always his first or second option.  Maybe he’ll stick with Lebron and the NFL for now.
  • Options
  • Options
    ME10280ME10280 Posts: 34

I know it's not a wish.  I know they love the country & it's the politics the artists are against.  I, personally, just don't like images of our monuments burning.  Nothing more.  Nothing less. 

I wouldn't live anywhere else.  Freedom of speech rules!!! 

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Vedd Hedd said:
    No one will ever sell Rolling Stone short on the click bait wars.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,355
    Quote from Jeff in the Rolling Stone article:

“The role of artists is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling,” Ament tells Rolling Stone. “I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse.  Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament.”
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    RP112579 said:

“The role of artists is to make people think and feel, and the current administration has us thinking and feeling,” Ament tells Rolling Stone. “I was the sole conceptualist of this poster, and I welcome all interpretations and discourse.  Love, from the First Amendment, Jeff Ament.”
    Bravo, Jeff
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    RP112579 said:

Awesome. 
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    kramer73 said:
    Gee, never thought of it this way
    If it was Obama instead of Trump, no one would bat an eyelid.  Because it is Trump, it's an outrage.
    Bingo
  • Options
    mbowersmbowers Posts: 109
    ME10280 said:

I know it's not a wish.  I know they love the country & it's the politics the artists are against.  I, personally, just don't like images of our monuments burning.  Nothing more.  Nothing less. 

So was Independence Day the scariest horror movie of your life?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Google it.  
    I don't need to. All I am saying is that a REALLY red state probably wouldn't have a multi-term Democratic State Senator.

Tester obviously had nothing to do with that poster, so I figure that is all the guy has to say, and all he could possibly say.... Unless he has some good words to pass on to the citizens of Montana about art and artistic perspectives I guess.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mbowers said:
    ME10280 said:

So was Independence Day the scariest horror movie of your life?
    :lol: That made me lol.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Google it.  
    I don't need to. All I am saying is that a REALLY red state probably wouldn't have a multi-term Democratic State Senator.
    Or the Senator isn't the deepest shade of blue