Options

Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    edited August 2018
    This is all a very welcome distraction from the merch angst threads. 
    Post edited by jcmitchell28 on
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    Dumbest comment on there?  We have a winner.

"politics and music really dont go well together."

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Awesome I needed an excuse to get the Vault Vinyl.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

i like this comment:

Drftr09Drftr093 hours ago

I honestly can't think of one song PEARL JAM does let along name a member. So... I haven't listened to them up to this point, I guess I won't miss them.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512

Naah, that's not really a dumb comment.  I'm a firm believer that a songwriter can only tell the listener what they believe the song to be about for themselves when they sing it or when they wrote it.  A songwriter can't really tell the listener how they should interpret or feel about the song, that's for the listeners to decide for themselves.  I think that's one of the beautiful things about music!  

Plus, the songwriters themselves may change how they interpret their own songs over time, even going from a negative feeling when writing to a positive later on, maybe even back and forth several times!  Just look at different ways that Eddie has described Alive through the years.  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    If any of you snowflakes with buyers remorse want to send this liberal your print, just hit me up :)
  • Options

i am STILL giggling a lot 
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

From the Assassinated Press

"The National Republican Senate Committee and Montana Senate candidate Matt Rosendale both compared the poster to the now-infamous photo of the comedian Kathy Griffin holding a fake decapitated Trump head."

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Sorry Associated Press
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I like the poster and I want one.  Doesn’t bother me a bit.  I do wonder how tester’s camp must be feeling about the whole thing though.  It’s obvious from Jeff’s quote that he had a bunch of ideas he gave to the artist who drew it up and “killed it” as Jeff said, but I don’t think Jeff or Tester knew what the print would look like until the rough draft got sent to Jeff.  I wonder if Tester ever saw it at all?  As far as politicians go, any publicity is probably good, but I bet they’re a bit shaken?
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    tubes10s said:

Naah, that's not really a dumb comment.  I'm a firm believer that a songwriter can only tell the listener what they believe the song to be about for themselves when they sing it or when they wrote it.  A songwriter can't really tell the listener how they should interpret or feel about the song, that's for the listeners to decide for themselves.  I think that's one of the beautiful things about music!  

Plus, the songwriters themselves may change how they interpret their own songs over time, even going from a negative feeling when writing to a positive later on, maybe even back and forth several times!  Just look at different ways that Eddie has described Alive through the years.  
    It's not about interpretation (I agree, songs can mean different things to different people at different times).  The dumb part is the "just shut up and sing" crowd.  Music and all art have always been political and always will be.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I have been looking for a comment by Tester or his campaign but haven’t found one yet. Can’t wait to see what eventually comes out. Politically, probably the safest thing for him to say is something along the lines of “while I don’t agree with the imagery, I fully support their right to express their artistic vision and political views blah blah blah..”, but it would be fantastic if he actually comes out in support of it. 
    Yeah- they have to tread lightly thoughI’m sure seeing as Montana is a seriously red state.  He’s likely to see repercussions if he outright agrees with it or something like that.  I bet if he at all makes a statement it’ll be like what you said.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I watched most of the show on periscope, did Eddie or anyone from the band specifically mention President Trump by name?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I watched most of the show on periscope, did Eddie or anyone from the band specifically mention President Trump by name?
     No, nor did get mention Tester. He did say to get out and vote, and that he would never tell anyone who to vote for “but the choice is obvious “. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
     No, nor did get mention Tester. He did say to get out and vote, and that he would never tell anyone who to vote for “but the choice is obvious “. 
    I didn't think so, Eddie's stones aren't that big - LOL
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    I'm loving all of this
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Someone better let Bob Dylan know this!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    I'm loving all of this
    Yes! 
    Take the anger and frustration into the studio and just go nuts! 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    tubes10s said:

It's not about interpretation (I agree, songs can mean different things to different people at different times).  The dumb part is the "just shut up and sing" crowd.  Music and all art have always been political and always will be.

Oh yeah... I don't care for the "shut up and sing" crowd either.  Enjoy the music, grab a beer during the talking.  Problem solved.  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    I’d just like to point out that making a case that the poster depicts any kind of wish or intent for harm seems to me to be a preposterous stretch.  It is dark but it’s a fairly obvious expression of the artist’s (and others obviously) perspective of current state of affairs of this country and it’s leadership.  Last time I checked, one of the founding principles of this country is the right to freedom of expression.  Was this revoked while I was rocking my balls off in Missoula?  I must have missed that..
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    mdgsolo said:
    I’d just like to point out that making a case that the poster depicts any kind of wish or intent for harm seems to me to be a preposterous stretch.  It is dark but it’s a fairly obvious expression of the artist’s (and others obviously) perspective of current state of affairs of this country and it’s leadership.  Last time I checked, one of the founding principles of this country is the right to freedom of expression.  Was this revoked while I was rocking my balls off in Missoula?  I must have missed that..
    get out of here with your sound logic and reasoning.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    AndySlash said:
    mdgsolo said:
    Soooooo I agree with your first point completely.

I'm confused at how anyone's freedom of expression is being revoked?  Might be as big a stretch as you rightfully claim in point 1.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    I don't see why the cartoon is all that bad, there's worse in a Road Runner cartoon.  It doesn't say anything about why Trump is that way in the poster. It could easily be from his own doing, ie from a forest fire because of his atrocious Climate policies.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    When Bush was president, PJ artists put him on a bunch of PJ posters. Fake news.
  • Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    Now that only 25 people are expected to attend PJ shows from here on out, I'm very excited to get my merch in a timely manner.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    ME10280ME10280 Posts: 34
    I'm not on the right or the left.  Frankly, I hate politics.  I'm also not a few of Trump the Cheetos, but I don't think it's cool to burn the White House & national monuments.  I do believe in patriotism & love for my country, regardless which jackass is in office.  I think the poster was in bad taste.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Hey now, if any one who is deeply offended by the Poster is checking out and has a copy of Lost Dogs on Vinyl, I will gladly take that off your hands before you do something emotionally hasty.  Thanks Make America Grunge Again
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    AndySlash said:
    mdgsolo said:
    Nicely said ×2
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited August 2018
    ME10280 said:
    I'm not on the right or the left.  Frankly, I hate politics.  I'm also not a few of Trump the Cheetos, but I don't think it's cool to burn the White House & national monuments.  I do believe in patriotism & love for my country, regardless which jackass is in office.  I think the poster was in bad taste.  Just my opinion.
    Yeah I think I agree. There's more than enough you can do with Trump's image to degrade him without suggesting violence. I liked a lot of the stuff that Roger Waters did with Trump's image during his most recent tour (depicting him having a tiny dick, being Putin's bitch, being a pig, etc.). This image of the White House on fire is tantamount to Madonna's quote about dreaming to blow up the White House. I thought she sounded dumb then, so I'd be a hypocrite to support this. 

A counterpoint to my suggestion of only using Trump's image is that, even if he's depicted as Satan or whatever on the poster, do poster buyers really want a Trump picture (even one critizing him) hanging on their wall? Probably not. 

For reference, here's the Roger Waters stuff I was talking about. Note that he does also use the White House in some of the images, but the Trump images are what really "work" for me here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLBtMz5OuY
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com