Inuk father faces online backlash after sharing photo of beluga harvest

Comments

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Vegans are good gymnasts. Non-vegans are evil arsonists.
  • brianlux said:
    Damn!  I want to hear more about those farting mutant ninja turtles!  :smiley:

There's four of them:

Fludderblast is the leader.
    Ripper is the sassy one.
    Silent But Deadly is the true Ninja.
    Soiled Trousers is the goofy one that is lactose intolerant and cannot digest gluten properly.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Food prices are insanely high in rural Canada, where Ketchup costs $14 and Sunny D costs $29

https://www.businessinsider.com/food-prices-high-northern-canada-2017-9

Every single one of you posting against the Inuit way of life would be the first one's crying to your government if you had to pay those food prices...

And you have done a really good job speaking without listening.

You have avoided responding to every solid counter point and as a result... you've lost your point and the discussion has stopped and switched to lifestyle (and farting mutant ninja turtles).
    I have read and listened ... why I should I change my view.  It's their land...prove me wrong, that it is not there land.  Please, explain why they should give up their traditions.  Harvesting their own meat and northern food prices go hand in hand ... my position is perfectly clear.  I am not the who derailed this thread by bringing up vegans ... that was other people.  I'm not one of these self righteous posters who thinks if I don't harvest my own food, or eat meat .... no one should.
    It's oceans, Meltdown, not land. No one owns the oceans, and no one has the "right" to hunt endangered species.  I'm a bit surprised you would support this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Food prices are insanely high in rural Canada, where Ketchup costs $14 and Sunny D costs $29

https://www.businessinsider.com/food-prices-high-northern-canada-2017-9

Every single one of you posting against the Inuit way of life would be the first one's crying to your government if you had to pay those food prices...

And you have done a really good job speaking without listening.

You have avoided responding to every solid counter point and as a result... you've lost your point and the discussion has stopped and switched to lifestyle (and farting mutant ninja turtles).
    I have read and listened ... why I should I change my view.  It's their land...prove me wrong, that it is not there land.  Please, explain why they should give up their traditions.  Harvesting their own meat and northern food prices go hand in hand ... my position is perfectly clear.  I am not the who derailed this thread by bringing up vegans ... that was other people.  I'm not one of these self righteous posters who thinks if I don't harvest my own food, or eat meat .... no one should.
    You have not read and listened, you've trolled and snarked and ignored the real discussion which is why it derailed.  We were waiting for you to respond to direct questions asked earnestly in a true interest in continuing the debate.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited August 2018

This is just offensive.
    who the hell is "anti-vegan" btw?? Nobody cares if people are vegan. Some just wish some vegans would stop, well, acting like you are acting in this thread.
    Post edited by Sea on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    Damn!  I want to hear more about those farting mutant ninja turtles!  :smiley:

There's four of them:

Fludderblast is the leader.
    Ripper is the sassy one.
    Silent But Deadly is the true Ninja.
    Soiled Trousers is the goofy one that is lactose intolerant and cannot digest gluten properly.
    This is great! You should act silly more often.  :)
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,823
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

This is just offensive.
    who the hell is "anti-vegan" btw?? Nobody cares if people are vegan. Some just wish some vegans would stop, well, acting like you are acting in this thread.
    I do agree
    Post edited by Sea on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Life is hard and choices are there for all to make. We sometimes change our minds but nobody is trying to be a shitty person
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I as someone who consumes meat does not care if someone is a vegan...some vegans even go back to meat.  My sister did.  She doesn't eat a lot of meat, but she doesn't avoid meat.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2018
    If you're wanting Spiritual Chaos to return to the thread, I would try posting something like this...
    https://youtu.be/sohB922c2uQ

Crap. We must've missed his Prime Arguing Time. 
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,934
    edited August 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    LADbible (@ladbible) Tweeted:
    Sea turns red with blood during annual whale hunt on Faroe Islands.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Horrific
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

These brave souls, the Sandavagur 5, were arrested for  defending the pilot whales in the Faroe Islands.  Heroes:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    These brave souls, the Sandavagur 5, were arrested for  defending the pilot whales in the Faroe Islands.  Heroes:

I cannot understand  how this is allowed. I'm actually  so disgusted.  Wow they arrested the wrong people . Sad race the humans .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

brianlux said:

I cannot understand  how this is allowed. I'm actually  so disgusted.  Wow they arrested the wrong people . Sad race the humans .
    I totally agree, lastexit.

brianlux said:

I am also disgusted and people who do this are indeed heroes ... But the laws protecting such industries are pretty cut and dry.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,912
    Posts deleted.
    Thread re-opened.

Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.

Thank you

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I am also disgusted and people who do this are indeed heroes ... But the laws protecting such industries are pretty cut and dry.
    industry? you seem to suggest this is for commercial purposes. annual hunt. an article stated 800 culled to feed 50000 for the winter. pilot whale population estimated to 100k in that region

I wonde what the types of and rates of disease on that island and if their diet plays a role in that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2018
    The pilot whale.  Gentle, sensitive, intelligent.  People still kill these and claim they need to for survival?  I call bullshit.

And just because an ancient culture did something for a long doesn't mean it's still OK.

They  are majestic creatures 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• brianlux said:
    The pilot whale.  Gentle, sensitive, intelligent.  People still kill these and claim they need to for survival?  I call bullshit.

Some of the same people who are down with the idea of killing these beautiful, innocent creatures argue adamantly against executing child murderers and the like.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited August 2018
    brianlux said:

Some of the same people who are down with the idea of killing these beautiful, innocent creatures argue adamantly against executing child murderers and the like.
    Mind boggling.

Anyone reading this who is somehow OK with killing these beauties might consider the following:

-Pilot whales are are actually the second largest Dolphins in the world.

-They are highly social animals. 

-They travel in large, matriarchal pods and the males and females stay with their mother's pods but they do not inbreed.  Males temporarily leave their mother's pd to mate.

-Under stressful conditions, Pilot Whales emit sad, mournful cries.

-They are susceptible to pollutants such as DDT and PCB's (obviously from anthropocentric sources, making them toxic to eat).

-Certain groups of humans have taken advantage of the Pilot Whale's gentle social nature by herding them into shallow waters by what is called "drive fisheries". One drive fishery alone in Newfoundland killed over 50,000 whales between 1951 and 1961.

-They display the same intelligence as bottlenose dolphins.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited August 2018

Philip Wollen : Animals Should Be Off The Menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCe4qEexjc
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

industry? you seem to suggest this is for commercial purposes. annual hunt. an article stated 800 culled to feed 50000 for the winter. pilot whale population estimated to 100k in that region

I wonde what the types of and rates of disease on that island and if their diet plays a role in that.
    I'm completely against it, but yes, it is still an industry, just like the disgusting annual seal hunt is in Canada. And yes, some of it is for commercial purposes, some is apparently used in bartering, and part of it is supposedly entertainment, like sports fishing, which is indeed also an industry in and of itself (they do require paid licenses to do it).
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    We do not kill the white fur seal pups ... thats just an outright lie by the animal rights activist.

The hunt Canada loves: Why seal clubbing will never die

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada-is-never-ever-going-to-stop-killing-seals-your-tell-all-guide-to-the-seal-hunt
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2018
    brianlux said:

I don't see the connection. Being anti-DP and being pro-whaling involve completely different reasons and facts and motives.
    (obviously I'm anti-both, but my being against the whaling has literally nothing to do with being anti-DP. There isn't a single overlapping principle involved in my reasoning)
    edited August 2018
    We do not kill the white fur seal pups ... thats just an outright lie by the animal rights activist.

The hunt Canada loves: Why seal clubbing will never die

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada-is-never-ever-going-to-stop-killing-seals-your-tell-all-guide-to-the-seal-hunt
    Right - it is only legal to kill seal pups once they shed their white coats, which starts happening when they are about 12 days old, and over 98% of the seals killed during the hunt are under 3 months of age. Yeah, that's MUCH better. :neutral: The seal hunt is inherently inhumane based on internationally recognized standards of humane slaughter.
    I really really despise that line, "The hunt Canada loves". The majority of Canadians do not support the seal hunt at all. Less than 40% of the population supports it, in fact.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on