Options

Grizz Stadium: The Worst

Comments

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,859
    Ballparks and football stadiums are no place for a concert. End this horrible horrible trend 
    Does something that's been going on forever constitute a "trend", or were you referring specifically to Pearl Jam?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,224
    lolobugg said:
    You just made Jeff Ament SAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4dw1aJLAEU
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,800
    JimmyV said:
    Safeco entry was a breeze.
    Same for me.  lined up at 6:45 and was in by 7:15 both nights.  the lineups were around the block but moved quickly.  We entered through the centre field gates. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    mpedone said:
    Ballparks and football stadiums are no place for a concert. End this horrible horrible trend 
    Does something that's been going on forever constitute a "trend", or were you referring specifically to Pearl Jam?
    This was focused on PJ. Keep it to Chicago and Boston and Seattle. But we dont need full stadium tours. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Yeah, but OP? What did you think of the show?!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    mpedone said:
    This was focused on PJ. Keep it to Chicago and Boston and Seattle. But we dont need full stadium tours. 
    I don't think they could pull off a full-on stadium tour like say Metallica could. A few shows a year is one thing, but to sell out a country full of stadiums, hate to say it, but I don't think PJ is "big enough" for that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    I don't think they could pull off a full-on stadium tour like say Metallica could. A few shows a year is one thing, but to sell out a country full of stadiums, hate to say it, but I don't think PJ is "big enough" for that. 
    Yeah, I think these shows do well because it's all there is. I think a longer tour with more coverage would limit the travel of a lot of fans. I'm sure there were fans from all over the west coast in Seattle, whereas if they'd played in San Francisco and San Diego, many of those fans would have gone to those shows, instead. PJ fans are a little crazy though, so...Maybe they're feeling it out? 2013 was just Wrigley, 2016 was Wrigley and Fenway. 2 years later, they add 2 more... Could they be testing the waters?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    I'll admit I don't like the ballparks.  I like places that were made for concerts.  Deer Creek, Alpine Valley, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Three hours to get in the show sounds like a valid complaint to me.  And yes, buying tickets to buy beer would have annoyed me as well. 
    Montana is one of my favorite spots in the world so I don’t think these two complaints would have taken away from my experience at the show. 

I wouldn't want to be buying drink tickets. That's two lines you have to stand in.

But agree on the fact that logistic stuff aside... my experience wouldn't be tarnished at all. The first night at Seattle was a gong show trying to get in. The email sent out by 10C basically revealed this (saying to come earlier for night 2 because the band wanted to start earlier and not be delayed like they were night 1 after the gate delays). It was a little tense trying to get in... but once in... the ordeal was over.

Hmmm. Not quite. Beer lines absurd. Not as bad as merch lines. But absurd nonetheless.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Amen! I've stopped going to PJ shows just for this reason. 
  • Options
    PJPADDLER said:

You're missing out on some great times.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    I’m also not a fan of the ballparks

its a different experience .... but I’ll still be at Fenway
  • Options
    I'll admit I don't like the ballparks.  I like places that were made for concerts.  Deer Creek, Alpine Valley, etc.
    No argument here. I'll still go to the ballparks if that's where they're playing (and, honestly, Fenway is closer to me than any of the amphitheaters in this area), but I would be happy to see venues with better/more consistent sight lines for their next tour.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJPADDLER said:
    40,000+ people per stadium show would disgaree.

Football & baseball stadiums are "no place," but basketball & hockey arenas are ok? Got it.

Comments like these give me a good chuckle.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I agree ballparks aren't ideal for concerts. But I see it as a compromise with the band. Its obvious to me they don't like touring anymore, and I probably wouldn't either at their age with families so I can't blame them. Its their way to play only a handful of shows and still reach most of their fans (and still make a lot of money too).
    The only other options are a full tour which I don't see happening anymore, or a shortened tour like this but at normal venues where many fans are left without tickets.
    Out of those options I'll take a ballpark show.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    mace1229 said:
    I agree ballparks aren't ideal for concerts. But I see it as a compromise with the band. Its obvious to me they don't like touring anymore, and I probably wouldn't either at their age with families so I can't blame them. Its their way to play only a handful of shows and still reach most of their fans (and still make a lot of money too).
    The only other options are a full tour which I don't see happening anymore, or a shortened tour like this but at normal venues where many fans are left without tickets.
    And it's also nice to be outside in the summer. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Worst is a relative term here, I think.  Maybe compared to the Wrigley experience it’s the worst.  But if Missoula is the worst I’ll still take it all day long. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I had a very different experience from the OP. Got to the venue at 6:30 as I attended the Wishlist party. Was a little concerned about the line and where I would end up in GA. Could not have run more smoothly! I doubt I was in the lineup to get in more than 20 minutes, quickly made it through scanning (used the Apple wallet method) and security, immediately got my wristband, a water and hit the 10C GA section. The venue staff I encountered were helpful and efficient. I have only seen PJ in arenas so for me, this trip was a really great experience, seeing the band in a huge venue like Safeco one night and a smaller venue on a college campus in Missoula a few days later. The band seems to love playing here, and Jeff’s obvious pride and happiness at having the band here would make me choose a Missoula concert again. 
  • Options
    Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    PJPADDLER said:

Football & baseball stadiums are "no place," but basketball & hockey arenas are ok? Got it.

beat me to it regarding basketball and hockey arenas
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    One thing I do like about the ballparks is ease of access. Safeco, Wrigley, and Fenway are all right in the city and easy to get in and out of. Here in Boston, trucking out to the Amphitheatre in Mansfield sucks and the parking lot is a nightmare afterwards. At Fenway I'll be at a bar ten minutes after the show ends.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2018
    Same here, I don't like stadium shows very much (and always prefer indoor concerts as well - concerts in daylight weird me out, and it's a huge drag worrying about weather). I did one PJ ballpark show, and I think I'm done with that. I have no real desire to do it again. Too big, too hyped, too much of a circus, not good music venues (not that I begrudge them - who ever loves them, great). I am really looking forward to the next regular old arena tour! That size venue is where PJ shines best IMO.

Missoula is a nice town btw. I really liked it. Nice people, nice vibe.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dug1200 said:
    PJPADDLER said:

This is truly comical.  The majority is seating is much further away with a stadium than an arena.  And a baseball stadium is worse than a football field because most of the seating needs to be behind the diamond.     
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    Missoula is a scenic little town, with great restaurants, bars and friendly people.  We spent two days here and had a wonderful time. The term "Podunk" is just flat out wrong.  As far as my experience at Grizz Stadium...I hope I never see another line again in my life!! Line up to get a wristband for beer, another line for drink tix, and finally the beer line....just dumb. And lets not forget the merchandise line, the entry to the Rock the Vote festivities line,  the line to get into the venue, and the line to get out of the venue.  Holy shit.  But the town of Missoula kicked ass!!
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    mcgruff10 said:
    Three hours to get in the show sounds like a valid complaint to me.  And yes, buying tickets to buy beer would have annoyed me as well. 
    Montana is one of my favorite spots in the world so I don’t think these two complaints would have taken away from my experience at the show. 

I wouldn't want to be buying drink tickets. That's two lines you have to stand in.

But agree on the fact that logistic stuff aside... my experience wouldn't be tarnished at all. The first night at Seattle was a gong show trying to get in. The email sent out by 10C basically revealed this (saying to come earlier for night 2 because the band wanted to start earlier and not be delayed like they were night 1 after the gate delays). It was a little tense trying to get in... but once in... the ordeal was over.

Hmmm. Not quite. Beer lines absurd. Not as bad as merch lines. But absurd nonetheless.

Did this really happen??  Had to get tickets and then get your beer?  That's silly.
  • Options
    Dug1200 said:
    PJPADDLER said:

This is truly comical.  The majority is seating is much further away with a stadium than an arena.  And a baseball stadium is worse than a football field because most of the seating needs to be behind the diamond.     
    You still hear the music, see the show, & experience the vibe, right?
    Truly comical, indeed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Drink tickets is a very university campus kind of idea, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    mace1229 said:
    And it's also nice to be outside in the summer. 
    Until there are thunderstorms 
    which are in the forecast for Monday in Chicago 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    mpedone said:
    No argument here. I'll still go to the ballparks if that's where they're playing (and, honestly, Fenway is closer to me than any of the amphitheaters in this area), but I would be happy to see venues with better/more consistent sight lines for their next tour.
    oh yeah....I'm hitting Wrigley x2 and Fenway x2, and I should have decent seats (thanks 10c)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Dug1200 said:
    PJPADDLER said:

Truly comical, indeed.
    Not really.  When you are closer the stage, you can see the band a lot better, and the vibe is much better.  There is a reason seats that are closer to the stage command a premium.

• Options
    Dug1200 said:
    PJPADDLER said:

Truly comical, indeed.
    Not really.  When you are closer the stage, you can see the band a lot better, and the vibe is much better.  There is a reason seats that are closer to the stage command a premium.

Aren't ticket prices for PJ shows all the same no matter where you are? That's how it's been to all the recent shows I've seen. I was in the bowl at Wrigley and had no problems seeing the band.  Granted I couldn't see the boogers in their noses, but it didn't detract anything from the experience.  Everyone likes to be closer, but only a limited number of people can be.  I've had close seats and far away seats. The vibe is all the same to me.