*** Missoula, MT Fanviews Here 8/13/18 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    The Rock said:
    People continually being surprised/annoyed that Ed talked politics at a show cracks me up.  As if the band hasn't talked politics or done political/benefit shows for the last 28 years.

Pearl Jam is a political band, and always has been. It's probably time to deal with it.

Looks like a great set to me. Pilate, In My Tree for the win!
    I hear you but sometimes people go to a show to just have fun and be distracted from the overload of politics in our daily lives. 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I travelled a long distance to Missoula for a Pearl Jam concert....  not a political rally 
    So odd since it was for Rock the Vote and Pearl Jam has never talked politics before
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:
    People continually being surprised/annoyed that Ed talked politics at a show cracks me up.  As if the band hasn't talked politics or done political/benefit shows for the last 28 years.

Pearl Jam is a political band, and always has been. It's probably time to deal with it.

I hear you but sometimes people go to a show to just have fun and be distracted from the overload of politics in our daily lives. 
    Valid point for sure, but I'd argue that the world is about to hit a point of crisis and people can't just bury their heads in the sand. It was a Rock2Vote show so it's a perfect time to express some thoughts and feelings and a good time to encourage people to vote. People shouldn't really be pissed at that.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    He's just encouraging young people to get out and vote. At least they're using their platform to motivate young people who may be discouraged...I have no problem with it being included in a concert. The music is still there in full force!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    ANY time you get FATAL and BEE GIRL?  Outside?  in MONTANA?

not to mention Ed rocking an EK Jacket?  I mean come on.  He can say whatever he wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ukBCCyczA
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    The Rock said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:

Valid point for sure, but I'd argue that the world is about to hit a point of crisis and people can't just bury their heads in the sand. It was a Rock2Vote show so it's a perfect time to express some thoughts and feelings and a good time to encourage people to vote. People shouldn't really be pissed at that.

The Rock said:

The Rock said:

Yes we are in a crazy time with the Orange man at the wheel ,this was a rock the vote show ,they are a political band,and thanks for that,we need more of this ,,

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    The Rock said:

I am dealing with it. By voicing my opinion on the Pearl Jam free speech* message board
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    All that, AND arms aloft?  Dang bro.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Trump supporters are sensitive right now.

It's hard to continually defend a f**king idiot and when one of their favourite bands rips the guy with every normal person in the house laughing and cheering... they wish that wouldn't happen. It ruins the moment for them. They'd rather Trump play politics the way he does and everybody just accept it because meh... whatareyagonnado? 

The same people don't know the lyrics and the inspiration to most of Pearl Jam's songs sooo... they got that working against them as well.

Instead of speaking condescendingly to them, we should pat them on the shoulders and tell them everything will be okay (same way Trump tells them he's making America great again). They'd smile and feel better!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited August 2018
    Been to a U2 show?  That is over the top for me and utter misery listening to Bono ‘preach’ all night.  Last night was a bit much but they are not telling you who to vote for, etc.  Just to get out and vote which I agree with and I think we all do. Activism is their thing and it isn’t always political.
    Post edited by blackhawks on
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2018
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:

But that isn't a "right" someone has.

Go see another artist that fits your "just to have fun" needs.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    With the state that America is in, it's citizens need to be reminded daily that it's in the shitter and that something needs to be done about it. I'd say it's a responsibility that someone like Ed probably takes seriously because he cares. You can't just ignore it because you don't want to think about it. 

Anyway, on topic - I think that's a damn fine setlist. Great to see Know Your Rights back in the mix. Always enjoyed that one.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:

But that isn't a "right" someone has.

Go see another artist that fits your "just to have fun" needs.
    Holy shit. What a condescending remark. Can I not have a fucking opinion ? Not everybody wants to hear politics 24/7. Left or right. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited August 2018
    Dudes, head downstairs to AET or AMT to talk more.
    www.cluthelee.com
    ^Yeah, sorry for changing the topic. I'll keep it on topic!
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It just wasn’t a great show. There’s nothing wrong with saying it. I have zero issue with them talking politics in fact I celebrate their right to do it but let’s not kid ourselves that the show morphed from an “Away Show” into a “Rock2Vote” show. Again that is fine and completely the bands perogative but it no doubt changed the atmosphere. The town was awesome, the venue was awesome, the crowd was ready to go but the band just didn’t deliver. And it’s ok... it’s ok...
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    the sound was good - the setlist ok
  • BS44325 said:
    It just wasn’t a great show. There’s nothing wrong with saying it. I have zero issue with them talking politics in fact I celebrate their right to do it but let’s not kid ourselves that the show morphed from an “Away Show” into a “Rock2Vote” show. Again that is fine and completely the bands perogative but it no doubt changed the atmosphere. The town was awesome, the venue was awesome, the crowd was ready to go but the band just didn’t deliver. And it’s ok... it’s ok...
    But, shouldn't fans except that with it being Montana and election year? Have they played their lately without it being for Jeffs Senator friend?

I haven't followed the transition from "away show" to "rock2vote" show, so I presumed it would be one of those political rally things.

But, if they didn't mentioned it from the get-go I guess you could "feel" hoodwinked if you believed that "finally an ordinary show without that Senator dude". 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BS44325 said:

I think it's more fair to say 'it no doubt changed the atmosphere for some'.

Most people are saying they had a blast and were not negatively impacted by the band publically stating their opinion on current affairs.

If one thinks this band was going to say nothing with regards to what is happening in their country right now... then they do not know this band very well. In all honesty, I'm surprised at Eddie's self control. While addressing the crowd in Seattle, he expressed out loud a couple times that he was trying to restrain himself from really sounding off (something I wouldn't mind hearing to be honest... it's typically funny and generally accurate).   
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Amazing show! 
    Amazing band!
    So glad I got to see them again!
    Best band in the world!!!!
    BS44325 said:
    But, shouldn't fans except that with it being Montana and election year? Have they played their lately without it being for Jeffs Senator friend?

I haven't followed the transition from "away show" to "rock2vote" show, so I presumed it would be one of those political rally things.

But, if they didn't mentioned it from the get-go I guess you could "feel" hoodwinked if you believed that "finally an ordinary show without that Senator dude". 
    Yeah...I don’t know. Don’t the people of Montana deserve a straight up rock show regardless? Is an election the only thing that will bring PJ to their neck of the woods? Again I don’t knock the politics...it has been there forever and always will and that’s fine. I’m just pointing out that morphing the show into a “benefit show” (eddie said multiple times from stage that it was a benefit show) changes the essence of the concert. It alters the flow from top to bottom. The show can still be appreciated but it is something different. Some might have loved it but others less so. It was not for me. Never was for me. Fuck me.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    Trump supporters are sensitive right now.

It's hard to continually defend a f**king idiot and when one of their favourite bands rips the guy with every normal person in the house laughing and cheering... they wish that wouldn't happen. It ruins the moment for them. They'd rather Trump play politics the way he does and everybody just accept it because meh... whatareyagonnado? 

The same people don't know the lyrics and the inspiration to most of Pearl Jam's songs sooo... they got that working against them as well.

Instead of speaking condescendingly to them, we should pat them on the shoulders and tell them everything will be okay (same way Trump tells them he's making America great again). They'd smile and feel better!

Pretty much.
    BS44325 said:

Most people are saying they had a blast and were not negatively impacted by the band publically stating their opinion on current affairs.

If one thinks this band was going to say nothing with regards to what is happening in their country right now... then they do not know this band very well. In all honesty, I'm surprised at Eddie's self control. While addressing the crowd in Seattle, he expressed out loud a couple times that he was trying to restrain himself from really sounding off (something I wouldn't mind hearing to be honest... it's typically funny and generally accurate).   
    I think it’s fair to say “for some” but all of us do some sort of ranking of the shows we see and for me this slots right in at the bottom of 41. It wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics...it just lacked a vibe. I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Trump supporters are sensitive right now.

Word
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited August 2018
    I used to be one to complain about Ed talking too much politics during a show.  That was in '03-'06.  I really didn't think the world was all that bad then and like many have said here, I wanted to see a Pearl Jam show not a rally.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

The world isn't all that great right now. And it's because of who we have in Washington not only fucking our own country up but fucking up relations around the world and the madness, lack of empathy, hatred, & bigotry are starting to spread elsewhere.  These are trying times.  We really need to get fucking serious if we want to have a decent enough world & country left to live in.  For ourselves, for our kids, for their kids, and so on.  So, rock on Ed!  Say whatever the fuck you want when you got the mic!  Rock on Jeff! Rock on Mike! Rock on Stone! Rock on Matt!  Rock on Boom!  Rock on Pearl Jam for always standing up for equality, rights, and the causes you all support either individually or collectively as a band!  I was young & misguided once, I misunderstood the messages, but you've kept them ringing in my ears all this time.  Never stop being political! Never stop encouraging people to vote, never stop believing in your causes!  And please, please never stop using your platform to ring loud the voices of truth, peace, integrity, and goodness!  Cuz I'll tell you what, I was clear across the country last night but I'm feeling the fucking energy today!! :rock_on::peace:  
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Trump supporters are sensitive right now.

• BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

I think it’s fair to say “for some” but all of us do some sort of ranking of the shows we see and for me this slots right in at the bottom of 41. It wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics...it just lacked a vibe. I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside.

You're completely within your rights to feel the way you do about your experience. It's kind of a drag that you allowed the political banter to detract from your enthusiasm though.

I sincerely think you should have come to the show expecting this and mentally preparing for the moment so that it wouldn't affect you the way it did (brace for impact). I know you know it was coming.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    looks to me like he spent more time talking about the beatles and the stones than politics. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:

Then maybe Pearl Jam isn't the show they should go to for that?  

I mean, let's be clear, at even the most talky, political PJ show, the show is still 97% music (and yes, there's some politics in the songs but I'm talking outside of the songs).  So even at the most political show, you're still only spending 3% ish of the time listening to political talk.

But since even that seems to get under some people's skin, yes, it's time to just deal with the fact that it's not the band's fault if you're in denial about who they are or what their shows are like.  It's been 28 yrs of consistent activism and using their voices for causes they think are important.  You want "to just have fun and be distracted from the overload of politics in our daily lives"?  Then take responsibility for which shows you buy tix for and go see a band not known for using their voices in this way.  

It's hardly rocket science, and it is bewildering when people are surprised or annoyed as if they got duped.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's because 2008-2016 the band rarely talked politics at all at PJ shows. they got lulled into a false sense of security. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD