Dear 10c

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mpedone said:
    pjl44 said:
    I want to start a poll of what’s crazier: the price of a setlist shirt selling on eBay (I had to look to see what all the fuss was about: currently at $186) or waiting in line for hours to buy a shirt. Enjoy the cities you’re in guys. Forget the merch!
    That's kind of it, right? Average sale price seems to be about $115. If you *really* want one, is 3 hours of your time worth $80?
    On the flip side, if you're going to spend that long in line, might as well buy as much as possible. Just poked around on eBay for a few minutes, found a dude selling multiples of a bunch of items from Seattle. If my math is right, he spent between $3000-4000, and could make nearly $4000 in profit. Not everything he's listed sold, but I'm pretty sure he's already made his money back, plus about $1500. He also has stuff from the Foo Fighters, Radiohead, and the Masters, so this is a business for this guy. Maybe we should go back to merch inside the venue?
    On one hand, seeing someone buy thousands of dollars of stuff for likely resale feels really gross. On the other, I can't fathom selling stuff at cost to randos on the internet when it requires waiting hours in line, fronting the money, and taking the effort to pack/ship. There's a line somewhere between those poles.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I'll say it again, people can petition the club for change, it's not going to happen. It's it's own machine with deals set IMO. 10c, feel free to prove me wrong though.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,777
    pjl44 said:
    mpedone said:
    pjl44 said:
    I want to start a poll of what’s crazier: the price of a setlist shirt selling on eBay (I had to look to see what all the fuss was about: currently at $186) or waiting in line for hours to buy a shirt. Enjoy the cities you’re in guys. Forget the merch!
    That's kind of it, right? Average sale price seems to be about $115. If you *really* want one, is 3 hours of your time worth $80?
    On the flip side, if you're going to spend that long in line, might as well buy as much as possible. Just poked around on eBay for a few minutes, found a dude selling multiples of a bunch of items from Seattle. If my math is right, he spent between $3000-4000, and could make nearly $4000 in profit. Not everything he's listed sold, but I'm pretty sure he's already made his money back, plus about $1500. He also has stuff from the Foo Fighters, Radiohead, and the Masters, so this is a business for this guy. Maybe we should go back to merch inside the venue?
    On one hand, seeing someone buy thousands of dollars of stuff for likely resale feels really gross. On the other, I can't fathom selling stuff at cost to randos on the internet when it requires waiting hours in line, fronting the money, and taking the effort to pack/ship. There's a line somewhere between those poles.
    What this guy does is essentially scalping. He buys a bunch of items, helping to reduce their quantity, then sells at a markup to meet a demand he helped to inflate.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mpedone said:
    pjl44 said:
    mpedone said:
    pjl44 said:
    What this guy does is essentially scalping. He buys a bunch of items, helping to reduce their quantity, then sells at a markup to meet a demand he helped to inflate.
    How much stuff straight up sold out in Seattle, though? Seems like if you were willing to put in the time, you could get most items. For these shows, flippers are mostly catering to people who weren't there or didn't want to spend the time. Not arguing that makes it ok, just different than the usual issue.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,336
    Having to 'put time' into buying overpriced merchandise is incredible.  We're all different, but my wait time limit is 20 minutes :) for better or worse. Enjoy the music and cities everyone.

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I really don't see anything wrong with someone purchasing a bunch of shirts and re-selling them. I know it goes against the spirit of what the club is trying to do with the setlist shirts, but that's just someone taking advantage of an opportunity. He/she is taking a risk and hoping to profit. You can either buy one of the shirts from him/her or not. It's a free choice.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    know1 said:
    I really don't see anything wrong with someone purchasing a bunch of shirts and re-selling them. I know it goes against the spirit of what the club is trying to do with the setlist shirts, but that's just someone taking advantage of an opportunity. He/she is taking a risk and hoping to profit. You can either buy one of the shirts from him/her or not. It's a free choice.
    same with tickets then right?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    know1 said:
    same with tickets then right?
    I'd rather buy the tickets for face value from the Ten Club, but if I can't, then I'll buy them from somewhere else up to a point that the value to me exceeds my cost.

Think about it this way, I missed out on the Ten Club tickets in the lottery for the last Wrigley Night 1 in 2016. I bought the public tickets when they went on sale just barely, but I paid the same amount of amount of money for some of the worst seats in the stadium that other people paid for very good seats. In a way, that's kind of like reverse scalping. It was still worth it to me to pay and attend. It may have been worth it to me to pay more for better seats, too.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    I will never wait more than 20 minutes for merch.  And 20 is pushing it.  I will buy it on the website after the fact, I would buy it before the show, too. But there is just no way I wait more than 20 minutes to buy a shirt.   some people waiting 4 hours?   I cant even imagine it 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited August 2018
    The merch-sanity really is out of control.

I really hope the mobile ticketing and the week-long merch sales are only for the ballpark shows and if they do a full 2019 tour they go back to the old system on tickets and offer online sales or pre-sales for tour merch. 

The only thing I really try to collect from every show I go to any more is the sticker and it's not even an option with these several-hour wait times.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

I really hope the mobile ticketing and the week-long merch sales are only for the ballpark shows and if they do a full 2019 tour they go back to the old system on tickets and offer online sales or pre-sales for tour merch. 

Mobile ticketing is here to stay
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    KC138045 said:

Then I hope they figure out a way to combat scalping, because I imagine they are salivating after Seattle.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 335
    Some people waited over an hour in a merch line during the show. While they played. Seems unfathomable to me. But I haven't bought a concert shirt in at least 20 years, so what do I know. That being said, I'd love to get Seattle N2 setlist shirt.  :)
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Heard the Seattle shirts were on ebay for $125 right when they went on sale.   This makes me not even want to waste my time trying to buy one legitimately.    
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    I remember when Pearl Jam was a BAND more than a BRAND.
    Seems people care less about the MUSIC and more about the STUFF these days.
    Sad.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    Why not put them online the next morning for 10club members only who had tickets to the show with a limit of 2.
    Give it a limited time window before opening sales up to any 10club member.
    Easy for them to be verify.
    Make some money on shipping
    Etc

This is a great idea that would be a win for the fans and generate more revenue for the bands and charities they support! 
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I hate everyone 
  • KC138045 said:

Then I hope they figure out a way to combat scalping, because I imagine they are salivating after Seattle.

Mobile ticketing cuts down fraud so much. Its not even close. Scalpers will always find a way. But there are more things they can do with mobile ticketing to fight that in the future as well. I agree. Its not going anywhere. 
  • Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
    Man, reading this thread is really disappointing.  People buying whole boxes of shirts!  Crazy eBay prices!  The whole merch thing is a bit crazy, but there are ways to fix these issues.

Really hope the 10C makes this right.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I am in the camp that would love a N2 setlist shirt but was unable to buy one as I flew out the next day. I am not going to buy one on eBay because I think the markups are ridiculous, but would happily plunk down the shirt cost plus a reasonable donation to the charity if 10C would put them in the shop. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    the 10c should just lube up the dildo & screw the people who bought all those extra shirts & offer the setlist shirts for at least a couple weeks so all the 10c members have a chance to get one, which will kill the profits of the non pearl jam fan douche bags hoping to flip them
  • Back to the front
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Setlist shirts should be pre-orders. Offer them online for 3-5 days after the show then print the ordered quantity. That ensures almost everyone who wants one, gets one, and in turn fucks the flippers.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Setlist shirts should be pre-orders. Offer them online for 3-5 days after the show then print the ordered quantity. That ensures almost everyone who wants one, gets one, and in turn fucks the flippers.
    This is exactly what i was saying. Very simple AND effective. Hell, even donate some of the money from the sales to help end homelessness. Win and win.

1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138

If they can print setlist shirts so fast after the show the next day, surely they can do that process again to sell online. Personally, I don't need that shirt with songs on it, but if I did, I'd be missing out on Wrigley 2's because I'm leaving Tuesday morning. Being a completest, I can't just get Wrigley 1's setlist shirt and sleep comfortably at night.

I don't know how you guys can keep calm after seeing someone buy a BOX of them, I'd be yelling my ass off in that line, especially after a long wait. Kudos to you for keeping cool.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    the solution is pretty simple, i talked to a lot of people in merch line througout Europe on this tour, and we could all agree on one thing the merch sale in front of arenas is an embarresment and they sould be ashamed who ever runs this line of buisness.
    And now for the easy solution.... when you "win" the shows and get the confirmation email yhere should be a small box you could check out (like the ones you get if you want to buy dutyfree in the airport when you book your flight ) 
    an example: you won 6 Europe shows and you get the oppertunity to order the posters or setlist shirt so you check it and the posters would be sent to your home address ( no need for carrying around postertubes etc. ) and you will not have to stand in line 4-5 hours before shows ( and still miss out ).
    Of course ther will be merch stands at the shows ( people with non 10c tix should have the chance as well ) + stickers/ buttons /pins or posters if you want to see them before buying.
    And they ( merch people ) hopefully know well in advance how many posters they will make for each show ( normally just 1 ) and the should know if there will be some show specific merch like the setlist t-shirt.
    this solution doesn't requrire a lot of work from 10C, quiet frankly i thing 10c could save a lot in the long run by not producing more than they need.
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    KC138045 said:

That's a bummer too. My Metallica tickets came in the mail the other day and it was so refreshing to just open an envelope and have my two tickets physically in my hand. I'm all for technical advances. I'm not the type that turns on Netflix and laments that Blockbuster doesn't exist anymore. But there are some exceptions, and this is one. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    edited August 2018
    vest71 said:
    the solution is pretty simple, i talked to a lot of people in merch line througout Europe on this tour, and we could all agree on one thing the merch sale in front of arenas is an embarresment and they sould be ashamed who ever runs this line of buisness.
    And now for the easy solution.... when you "win" the shows and get the confirmation email yhere should be a small box you could check out (like the ones you get if you want to buy dutyfree in the airport when you book your flight ) 
    an example: you won 6 Europe shows and you get the oppertunity to order the posters or setlist shirt so you check it and the posters would be sent to your home address ( no need for carrying around postertubes etc. ) and you will not have to stand in line 4-5 hours before shows ( and still miss out ).
    Of course ther will be merch stands at the shows ( people with non 10c tix should have the chance as well ) + stickers/ buttons /pins or posters if you want to see them before buying.
    And they ( merch people ) hopefully know well in advance how many posters they will make for each show ( normally just 1 ) and the should know if there will be some show specific merch like the setlist t-shirt.
    this solution doesn't requrire a lot of work from 10C, quiet frankly i thing 10c could save a lot in the long run by not producing more than they need.
    I get what your saying and it would be fantastic if this was how it was but I don't think 10c alone could handle this.  They are a small operation and you're talking a ton of orders.  Lets say 10c got 10,000 tickets for each of the home and away shows and everyone of those 10,000 ordered the poster and setlist shirt.  That's 70,000 orders to fill.  There is no way their operation is big enough to handle that or even half that amount.
    Post edited by KC138045 on
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited August 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I will never wait more than 20 minutes for merch.  And 20 is pushing it.  I will buy it on the website after the fact, I would buy it before the show, too. But there is just no way I wait more than 20 minutes to buy a shirt.   some people waiting 4 hours?   I cant even imagine it 
    i read recently the real thrill for people who wait in merch line for 4 hours is they get to have a bunch of new friends all over the world as they connect with those in line with them..
    same with the person who camps out 2 days for a rail GA spot all he/she says i got a whole bunch new friends LMAO and that the time spent was worth it because of that.
    that is some funny shit right there  :)
  • basebornbaseborn UK Posts: 143
    Anyone got any experience/had success emailing 10c? I emailed a week ago about an issue I’ve had with an order and got no reply. Even sent a couple of chase up emails which have also been ignored. What’s the best way to escalate it?