Best Pearl Jam Album?

Evenflow8112Evenflow8112 Bloomfield, NJ Posts: 28
Self-explanatory. Will Mookie win.. Or will there be an upset?

Best Pearl Jam Album? 122 votes

Ten
23% 29 votes
Vs.
15% 19 votes
Vitalogy
9% 12 votes
S/T
0% 1 vote
Backspacer
0% 0 votes
Riot Act
1% 2 votes
Yield
22% 28 votes
No Code
21% 26 votes
Binaural
4% 5 votes
Lightning Bolt
0% 0 votes

Comments

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Vs saved my life ❤️
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Ten is a cohesive no-filler masterpiece.

Riot Act is my favorite.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    Vitalogy kicks me in the head every time I listen to it.  But to be fair, so does Vs.
  • I said Vs for it's awesomeness.

As much as 10 deserves a nudge, my personal #2 would be Yield.

Their earlier albums were so good... it would have been extremely challenging to produce better. I'm glad the band decided to experiment as they did and produce No Code and Binaural.

It's funny... to me... all their songs individually have a unique sound which definitively places them on certain albums and within certain eras. There's no confusing a Binaural song with a 10 song.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Their earlier albums were so good... it would have been extremely challenging to produce better. I'm glad the band decided to experiment as they did and produce No Code and Binaural.

It's funny... to me... all their songs individually have a unique sound which definitively places them on certain albums and within certain eras. There's no confusing a Binaural song with a 10 song.
    I think that is true for some albums - Ten has its sound, Binaural and Riot Act too.

You put Whipping on VS and I wouldn't react. 

Or Lowlight on No Code.

Or Lightning Bolt on Backspacer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I think that is true for some albums - Ten has its sound, Binaural and Riot Act too.

You put Whipping on VS and I wouldn't react. 

Or Lowlight on No Code.

Or Lightning Bolt on Backspacer.

Fair enough. I guess my experience with the albums influences my thought processes around them.

Exceptions aside maybe?
  • Evenflow8112Evenflow8112 Bloomfield, NJ Posts: 28
    All you guys voting Yield.. WYD. I’m being obnoxious lol but honestly along with No Code I’m down on it. I feel a lot of U2-mimicking on each record as opposed to adventurousness.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    No Code hands down for me. It is a perfect record. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No code is my favorite but ten is the best. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    In 1994, my cousin gave me Vitalogy for Christmas. 
    It was my first Pearl Jam album.  I was 18 years old.

By the time I was 18, I'd seen The Grateful Dead more than 12 times, Widespread Panic, Allman Brothers, Dave Matthews, REM, Blind Melon, Rush... and basically every hippie jam band you could name. 

For some reason, my friends and I didn't really listen to Pearl Jam.  I couldn't tell you why.  I knew of them... but we just didnt listen.  Perhaps it was too pop?  Or it was on MTV... who knows?

For some reason, Vitalogy was different than Ten or Vs.  and I fell in love with it.     When No Code came out in 95, i loved that one also... after that... I didn't really listen to Pearl Jam until my 30's when I met my wife.

She's a HUGE Pearl Jam fan and helped me rediscover all these albums I never paid attention too.  Vitalogy and No Code are still my two favorites.

Vitalogy
    No Code 
    Vs.
    Yeild
    Ten
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Lightning Bolt
    Pearl Jam
    B/S
    I'm like a tab
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    mcgruff10 said:
    +1
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • I want to choose VS but objectively it's ten
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    No Code. Perfect balance between the Rock that PJ does best and the risks they took that made them stand out among their peers
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Ten is easily the best

but probably not my favorite. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    All you guys voting Yield.. WYD. I’m being obnoxious lol but honestly along with No Code I’m down on it. I feel a lot of U2-mimicking on each record as opposed to adventurousness.
    That makes no sense 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Yes
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    mcgruff10 said:
    agreed
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    No Code, but I really wanted to vote for Riot Act or Binaural.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    No Code is simply perfection!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    No code. Absolutely love that album.  Not sure what makes an album good musically because I have no experience, but I just love that album. It has aged so wel IMO. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    My first PJ album I purchased after Ten was Vitalogy. I don't know why, but I skipped purchasing VS until after No Code came out. I'm not sure why anymore, but I think it was mostly because of the cover art :loser:, and mainly because Daughter's over play on rock radio was driving me crazy. Anyway, coincidentally I started driving right around the release of Vitalogy so it was naturally getting heavy play the following summer whenever my dad would let me drive his new truck with the 6 disc changer in it. No Code was the first PJ album I got on release day when we were in Chicago. I had my cousin pick it up for me and then spun it in his room for a few hours. I therefore love those two albums the best, but would still rank Binaural as my favorite when it comes to overall quality musical performances.

Ultimately, Vitalogy is the best record they have ever made. 3 of my favorite songs are on that album (NFY, Corduroy, Immortality) and the rest are great as well. I actually even really enjoy the the non-songs and short novelty tracks. It all makes for a great album.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Yield is my favorite but if we're talking "best" I have a hard time picking one. I'm gonna go with Vitalogy on the merit that they took a chance on their own creativity, abandoning the polished "grunge sound" of the first two albums for more experimental sounds, harsh rocking punk tunes, and some gut-wrenching folky ballads thrown in.  The whole album is like a melodramatic orchestra and Pearl Jam threw it out there as if to say "Digest this, we dare you!"  It challenged us as fans.  And those that stuck around, stuck around for the long haul.  I feel like it's really where Pearl Jam found the strongest of their songwriting bones.  I could argue that No Code/Yield/Binaural honed in & perfected their creative juices, but the importance of Vitalogy weighs out in the end.  Honestly, you could pick any of those 4 and I wouldn't argue one bit.

(There's also the fact that Vitalogy held the record for most initial vinyl sales for 20 years and was the 2nd fastest selling album of all-time behind their own Vs. at the time.)
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Vs

• Vs

Yes to this.

It's Vs for sure. We can't hold the fact that some songs were so damn good the radios overplayed them against the album.

Lots of anger and pain throughout it.

This album was not made 'radio-friendly'. Radio endeared itself to the album.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Anyone else's votes not showing up in their comments?  I don't see any for anyone.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Anyone else's votes not showing up in their comments?  I don't see any for anyone.
    Same here. I'm guessing the OP set it up that way.
    It's a hopeless situation...