Options

Song you are most tired of hearing

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2018
    rummy said:
    mwplum said:
    Like many here, wish they would switch up the frequency of E-flo, Corduroy, Alive, Porch, betterman...not complaining by any means, as I love many of those songs. When 10 first came out, Porch was probably my fav song on the album, but now when they play it, my initial reaction is “damn the first set is over”
    Meanwhile all those awesome songs from No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado & Backspacer get almost completely disregarded
    Oddly enough, you can start adding Lightning Bolt to this list.
    for sure, but sadly they still play LB way more than Backspacer
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Last Kiss. At least it's short.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options
    Last Kiss. At least it's short.
    I dig it when he goes out in the crowd & sings it with us
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXyFAfEAo0

• Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    i've been lucky enough to be able to go to so many shows that i don't feel like i *need* to hear every single note that they play anymore. i'm sorry, but when you've seen even flow, betterman, alive, corduroy, etc. 25+ times, you don't *need* to hear another one. if i miss an blazing solo while i'm getting a beer or using the bathroom, so be it. they're going to play those songs most likely, and i'm more than ok with that, but i can't say those songs deliver the same sense of excitement they did when i saw the band the first few times.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    AndySlash said:
    i've been lucky enough to be able to go to so many shows that i don't feel like i *need* to hear every single note that they play anymore. i'm sorry, but when you've seen even flow, betterman, alive, corduroy, etc. 25+ times, you don't *need* to hear another one. if i miss an blazing solo while i'm getting a beer or using the bathroom, so be it. they're going to play those songs most likely, and i'm more than ok with that, but i can't say those songs deliver the same sense of excitement they did when i saw the band the first few times.
    I've only seen them eight times but I totally appreciate/agree with your philosophy.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    I don't know. I've seen my other two favourite bands about as much as some of you folks have seen PJ, and I've never come away from a show thinking "fuck, I didn't need to hear that song again". I tend to try to think of shows as one entity, like a movie, rather than a sum of its parts. I often don't even recall specific songs played at a show, which confounds a lot of my friends who peg me as a music freak. Sometimes I'm just too into my "show zone". A friend asked me recently what the setlist was like at the most recent QOTSA show, if it was new-album-heavy or not. I was like "fuck if I remember". I have to look that shit up on setlist.fm. LOL

I do tend to recall PJ moments more than other bands though, so I suppose maybe tha'ts what's at play here. 

it seems a lot of fans who have been to tens of shows are now going out of some feeling of fan obligation, or out of fear of missing something special, and when that something special doesn't occur, they come away disappointed. 

One of the few perks of only seeing them 5 times, I guess. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AndySlash said:
    Exactly
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    To me it's more about the predictability of WHEN you hear the regular songs ... I'd have much more enthusiasm for Even Flow or Alive if they opened a show or an encore ... or if Alive was played mid-set in Even Flow's place ... just to mix things up.  I thought Better Man at Wrigley in '16 being played 4th in the set was an amazing experience, while i'm never all that excited for it when it ends a set.

As for songs i'll be happy to drop, i'd vote for Crazy Mary or RITFW ... and for originals, Down and Life Wasted (prob not popular opinions)
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    edited August 2018
    it seems a lot of fans who have been to tens of shows are now going out of some feeling of fan obligation, or out of fear of missing something special, and when that something special doesn't occur, they come away disappointed. 
    honestly, for me, at this point it's usually more about the overall experience that can be had than the show(s) itself. i've met lots of great people (we're bbq'ing on the off day this weekend with a couple we met at the show here in 2014 and have since kept in contact with), emceed/volunteered at pre-party fundraisers, hung out with fans from all over the world, traveled all across the country, etc. etc., and it's all because i like pearl jam and going to pearl jam concerts. at first the priority was to see the band and hopefully hear a few songs i really wanted to hear. now, with 30+ shows under my belt, and being blessed enough to see the vast majority of their catalog played in concert at some point, it's more about the moments experienced and shared with the other fans that are there for the same reasons i was or am. the pearl jam concert is just the setting, it's everything else that comes with it that keeps me wanting to come to shows. and if the band happens to surprise us, like playing all of 'no code', or if the show is uniquely experienced (like wrigley '13), even better. it's cheesy, sure. but it's true.
    Post edited by AndySlash on
  • Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    Last Kiss
  • Options
    now if they played this version of Even Flow, then I wouldn't mind it being played
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,272
    Discopij said:
    To me it's more about the predictability of WHEN you hear the regular songs ... I'd have much more enthusiasm for Even Flow or Alive if they opened a show or an encore ... or if Alive was played mid-set in Even Flow's place ... just to mix things up.  I thought Better Man at Wrigley in '16 being played 4th in the set was an amazing experience, while i'm never all that excited for it when it ends a set.

As for songs i'll be happy to drop, i'd vote for Crazy Mary or RITFW ... and for originals, Down and Life Wasted (prob not popular opinions)
    At the Newcastle show in 2006 we got Alive as an opener, Even Flow to close Encore 1, and Corduroy to open Encore 2!
    Mark Richards really messed with our heads when he wrote that setlist!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    AndySlash said:
    I don't see myself ever really getting there with any band - or any concert!  For me I don't even like getting a beer during a band's set because I want to take in the whole concert experience, so I either pre-game or post-game lol

Then again I haven't seen nearly as many shows as a lot of people here have.  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    Lukin

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited August 2018
    Discopij said:

Bingo.
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    goldrush said:
    Discopij said:

At the Newcastle show in 2006 we got Alive as an opener, Even Flow to close Encore 1, and Corduroy to open Encore 2!
    Mark Richards really messed with our heads when he wrote that setlist!
    One of the many reasons why Newcastle is an all-time great bootleg
  • Options
    RVM & Porch are two I wouldn't mind seeing retired for awhile...
  • Options
    It is always somebody's first Pearl Jam show, so the hits need to be played, as it is a safe assumption that it is those songs that got them into the band, and why they have bought the show tickets.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    It is always somebody's first Pearl Jam show, so the hits need to be played, as it is a safe assumption that it is those songs that got them into the band, and why they have bought the show tickets.
    Ding ding ding WINNER!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    btw,eddie gave an interview about misoula show and said that jeff will make the setlish and he said Alive and Even flow will be always in the setlists,and we have 150 song  mix well the rest of setlists
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

This finger wagging is ridiculous. 

People who pay $125 for something can critique it all they want. Maybe instead of clicking the link to lecture people about fans’s first shows, you could skip the thread altogether? 

There’s no rule that says you have to comment. 

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    This complaining about popular songs is ridiculous.

People who pay $125 for something can have the expectation of hearing songs they love and shout along to. Maybe instead of begging for half-finished demos, you could skip the show altogether and let someone who appreciates it have the seat.

There's no rule that says you have to see a band 50 times.
  • Options
    They can still mix around with the hits being played.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    btw,eddie gave an interview about misoula show and said that jeff will make the setlish and he said Alive and Even flow will be always in the setlists,and we have 150 song  mix well the rest of setlists
    Do the evolution will always be played to. Same with Given to Fly. Same with Porch.

Etc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    pjl44 said:
    This complaining about popular songs is ridiculous.

People who pay $125 for something can have the expectation of hearing songs they love and shout along to. Maybe instead of begging for half-finished demos, you could skip the show altogether and let someone who appreciates it have the seat.

There's no rule that says you have to see a band 50 times.
    How’s the view from your pedestal? 
  • Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    I've posted this before I still stand by it. If they're playing a city/venue more than 1 time in a row or in a couple of days, they don't reallllyyyy need to play "Jeremy", "Even Flow", and "Alive" both nights. Shows like that are an opportunity to dust off some oldies and swap out songs over each night so there aren't repeats.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    I'm sick of Fatal and Ghost UGH!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    edited August 2018
    How many bands play 30+ songs a night without repeating any? Not Phish, not DMB, not U2, certainly not Foo Fighters.

Having to hear Alive and Evenflow every night is a high class problem to have.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    How many bands play 30+ songs a night without repeating any? Not Phish, not DMB, not U2, certainly not Foo Fighters.

Having to hear Alive and Evenflow every night is a high class problem to have.
     B) 
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV