Options

Trump Admin may allow the return of asbestos to manufacturing.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
Here's news that 'll cause you lungs to seize up nice and quick like:

The use of asbestos, a mineral fiber occurring in rock and soil, in building insulation was once commonplace in countries around the world, until its health risks as one of the most dangerous carcinogens ever used by the construction industry became widely known. 

For decades, its use has been banned in most countries, with the United States as one of the few developed nations in the world that has opted to put restrictions on the substance rather than ban its use entirely. 

'New Uses' of Asbestos?

Now, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has proposed a framework that will create opportunities for "new uses" of asbestos. On June 1, the EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics announced plans for a "Significant New Use Rule" (SNUR) for the substance.

And look who's in on it.  Who would have guessed?!

https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-face-stamped-russian-asbestos-products-tied-putin-donald-our-side-1018327

A Russian asbestos producer is stamping President Donald Trump’s face on pallets of its product showing that he “approved” of the silicate material that has been classified as a known human carcinogen.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Kick his ass to the curb for gawds sakes.

Dump the Trump.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited August 2018
    Conservative leaders seem to love the stuff... it says that they only care about money. Stephen Harper was super pro-asbestos too, when he was Canada's PM. He actually championed the industry in our country, doing what he could to keep up production/exports.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    It almost seems like an attempted mass suicide of humanity.  What the hell are these people thinking?  Irks me to no end!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    There have always been uses for asbestos.  It is only harmful when friable.  Many industrial applications exist and are used safely everyday.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,875
    It's poison . I worked in the construction  industry  and it's a hidden killer. In insulation and ceiling tiles. Places you wouldn't  know it exists as a lay man. Theatre or school safety curtains
     All manner of places . There is no place or need for it in this day and age. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    unsung said:
    There have always been uses for asbestos.  It is only harmful when friable.  Many industrial applications exist and are used safely everyday.
    You have an interesting way of defending some really strange things, unsung. 

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Conservative leaders seem to love the stuff... it says that they only care about money. Stephen Harper was super pro-asbestos too, when he was Canada's PM. He actually championed the industry in our country, doing what he could to keep up production/exports.
    All political parties both nationally and in Quebec supported the Asbestos Industry...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It's poison . I worked in the construction  industry  and it's a hidden killer. In insulation and ceiling tiles. Places you wouldn't  know it exists as a lay man. Theatre or school safety curtains
     All manner of places . There is no place or need for it in this day and age. 
    Exactly, lastexit!  It's bad stuff!  And when things break down that contain it, the shit gets into the air, into the lungs.  It kills.

• Options
    Truley  I've seen people die from it. It's a horrible death. And working on building when you aren't sure if it contains  any. It can be too late when you stumble across some it's already disturbed  and in your lungs. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Worked 25 years in schools ... pretty much every  school I worked in contained asbestos.  There is a lot of varying opinions on whether abatement is always necessary.  In the case of the schools, pretty much every school still has asbestos somewhere, even buildings that have had asbestos removal.  Chances are you still encounter asbestos in your day to day life.  I know the school board I was working for was actively removing asbestos, but there is nothing that say asbestos has to be removed.  It's crazy to think that Trump wants that nasty shit allowed ... but then again, Trump is also a toxic chemical...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    All political parties both nationally and in Quebec supported the Asbestos Industry...

What are you talking about? The current government has introduced an asbestos ban.
    Are you saying that in the past they did? Well obviously - the widespread use of asbestos is why we still have issues with it. I am talking about modern times. While asbestos was finally fully acknowledged as a hazardous material that kills people, Harper dug in his heels and continued to support the industry in Canada and exporting it to poor countries without regulations. My point is that current, modern conservatives keep supporting the industry while everyone else acknowledges that it's poison.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What are you talking about? The current government has introduced an asbestos ban.
    Are you saying that in the past they did? Well obviously - the widespread use of asbestos is why we still have issues with it. I am talking about modern times. While asbestos was finally fully acknowledged as a hazardous material that kills people, Harper dug in his heels and continued to support the industry in Canada and exporting it to poor countries without regulations. My point is that current, modern conservatives keep supporting the industry while everyone else acknowledges that it's poison.
    Pretty easy to ban an industry that has been out of business since 2011?  You can not handle reality, the liberals and conservative are pretty much the same.   And Fluff didn't do shit about asbestos.  The 2 mines closed in 2011 under Harpers watch ... how bout that.  But he didn't close them either...oh. by the way, from '93 until 2006 the liberals were in charge ... did they ban asbestos?  Trudeau is only banning asbestos because the industry is dead in Canada...shaking my head in disbelief at how partisan some people are.  I know more about asbestos and the abatement process than you'll ever know...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    He’s actually correct. The only issue is demo of those materials. Which is why, in my opinion, it’s not a great thing to use in many cases even if safe at the time. Cause it does pose a serious risk that could be unknown when demo’ing
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    I have an asbestos certification.  Would I go mining it?  No.  Demo day is the risk as was just mentioned.  I have a friend that has been on a demo crew for years, pays well.  Main thing is to keep it wet.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    He’s actually correct. The only issue is demo of those materials. Which is why, in my opinion, it’s not a great thing to use in many cases even if safe at the time. Cause it does pose a serious risk that could be unknown when demo’ing
    But that illustrates my point which is that the stuff is not permanently bound up.  There are a lot of things that can release asbestos or any toxic material- abuse, breakage, improper demolition, earthquakes etc, etc. 

For god's sake, why do we take chances with this or any other toxic shit?  I just don't get it.  Are we indeed the Suicide Species?  I think we may be.  I really do. 

• Options
    j1kotwicj1kotwic Posts: 168
    I also work with asbestos and am certified to handle/dispose. It's only a heath and safety hazard when it's friable and uncontrolled. There's a shit ton of regulations on the handling and disposal of asbestos. Following these regulations keeps everyone safe. The reason it was such a massive health and safety issue is because no one knew the terrible effect it had on people, lung cancer, mesothelioma, asbestosis etc... It was in cigarettes for god's sake. Now we know and we can manage it with minimal risk. Now we can mitigate risks enough to justify its use as an extremely high quality building material.  

Does anyone know - was Trump planning to use this new regulation to gather up all the asbestos and jam it into everyone's eyes and mouths. There's a million things to complain about Trump... possibly allowing some asbestos use in manufacturing is what you're bitching about? Come on 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    j1kotwic said:
    I also work with asbestos and am certified to handle/dispose. It's only a heath and safety hazard when it's friable and uncontrolled. There's a shit ton of regulations on the handling and disposal of asbestos. Following these regulations keeps everyone safe. The reason it was such a massive health and safety issue is because no one knew the terrible effect it had on people, lung cancer, mesothelioma, asbestosis etc... It was in cigarettes for god's sake. Now we know and we can manage it with minimal risk. Now we can mitigate risks enough to justify its use as an extremely high quality building material.  

Does anyone know - was Trump planning to use this new regulation to gather up all the asbestos and jam it into everyone's eyes and mouths. There's a million things to complain about Trump... possibly allowing some asbestos use in manufacturing is what you're bitching about? Come on 
    As my brother used to say when we were kids, "Where are we going?"

Excuse me but, no, I'm not bitching about asbestos. I'm making a case that bringing a toxic substance back into further use is a bad idea.  Further, I've made the case numerous times in these forums that I'm against introducing any more toxins into our environment, be it indoors or out of doors, in our food, air or water. 

The fact that you work with a toxin does not make you an expert on toxins.  Maybe you are, but just saying you work with asbestos does not justify the current administration (or whomever, for that matter) bringing more toxins into our environment. 

I'm sick of seeing people dying from all the toxic shit in our planet.  Just today I went to another "celebration of life" (or what could also be termed "an acknowledgement of death") for yet another person I know who isn't here, very likely as a result of toxins permeating our world.  Maybe you haven't seen as many of those deaths so you think the subject is trivial.  That's your trip but don't trivialize my concern. 

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    The US is a shitty backwards country refusing to progress. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I agree seeing these deaths makes  this all the more pathetic to even think about 're introducing.  As I said before in a work place where you have no idea it's there  and disturb it doing your job . It's too late. No need for it in this day and age. Asbestalux does the same job.and many other safe products.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The damage this material continues to cause in Australia is so cruel.
    WTF Trump?!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    lol yes you know what fuck any regulations this country has been walked back 20 yrs in less than two and we deserve it ! It voted a subhuman for its president I expected nothing less ...you know what I say to you guys Deal with it !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    But that illustrates my point which is that the stuff is not permanently bound up.  There are a lot of things that can release asbestos or any toxic material- abuse, breakage, improper demolition, earthquakes etc, etc. 

For god's sake, why do we take chances with this or any other toxic shit?  I just don't get it.  Are we indeed the Suicide Species?  I think we may be.  I really do. 
    Yes I tend to agree, not worth the risk. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sure bet you guys wish you had recall legislation...

Because at this point I think you are stuck with him until 2020 or 2024...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    j1kotwicj1kotwic Posts: 168
    Fiberglass exposure is also a very serious health and safety risk. Effects are similar to asbestos. It must have similar properties of asbestos if it's a suitable alternative. There are many scientific studies that support this.  Do we need to get rid of fiberglass?  

I don't mean to trivialize your concern im just offering my perspective.  Im not pro asbestos or anything. But depending on what they are using it for the properties of asbestos could potentially make a material/part safer. Maybe the the benefit outweighs the risk. That doesn't mean they should start insulating houses with it again. That would be stupid. But maybe there is a specific application where it makes sense. Especially if there is a way to use it where it will not become friable in the future. 

There's millions of toxic chemicals we handle on a daily basis. Gasoline, oil, coolant, chemical solvents, natural gas, cleaning chemicals, chemicals used in wastewater treatment, the list goes on forever. I don't think it's a matter of banning toxic materials because they were mishandled in the past. It's a matter of handling these chemicals safely that will minimize risk. Honestly these chemicals make the world go round. We would be in deep trouble without them. 

Again, I don't mean to trivialize the subject, especially if you just lost a loved one due to exposure to hazardous materials. I'm just offering my perspective since I handle all kinds of hazardous materials on a daily basis and I take this stuff seriously.  
  • Options
    Fuck I'm still shaking my head at the the self righteous ten clubber who blamed the asbestos industry on our former PM Stephen Harper ... even though the last 2 asbestos mines closed under his watch .... holy fuck ... thats a page out of PM Fluff ... don't accept responsibility deflect...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The reason we still have cancer in the world is because Stephen Harper did not put enough resources into a cure ... LMFAO.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Fuck I'm still shaking my head at the the self righteous ten clubber who blamed the asbestos industry on our former PM Stephen Harper ... even though the last 2 asbestos mines closed under his watch .... holy fuck ... thats a page out of PM Fluff ... don't accept responsibility deflect...
    You can just name me, but you better watch it with the personal insults- you'll get yourself banned.
    I did not blame the asbestos industry on Stephen Harper, lol. I said that conservative leaders love the asbestos industry, which is absolutely true when it came to Stephen Harper. He was pro-asbestos. That is the only claim I made. The only reason anything got closed under him is because his stance on the matter was too strongly opposed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    edited August 2018
    _